Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Scott Turner needs to go. I like his creativity and scheme sometimes in the run game. But he’s proven to be a below average coordinator with a bottom of league feel for situational football. 

He’s just not good enough. 

To pile on Turner, he reminds me a bit of Spurrier. He would rather bring in a scrub (Heini) who has been in his system, than teach/adapt his scheme to a more talented QB. Very Spurrier/McDaniels esque. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Three crappy QBs right? If Howell was a good QB he would have started...if he had any semblance of a dude that could take a three, five, or seven step drop he would have gotten the nod right?  Why hasn't he gotten the nod before or after the other two crappy QBs. 

I'm honestly not sure what the emotional motivation is behind this post. I know you've been a Heinicke guy...is it that? Is it general frustration? Is it not liking Howell? Not liking me? (any of those are fine, btw, just curious)

So, for me, priority is replacing Turner. Which also means Heinicke loses a big part of his usefulness… so he goes if Turner goes.

But, most of the guys I’d want to bring in to call the offense are already OCs in the league and would need to be HC candidates, which isn’t going to wind up being switched this off-season.

Having said that, getting a guy to get “reps” at the spot isn’t a bad thing. And if Rivera wants any shot at being here in any capacity with a new owner, getting a OC in here that can help score points and win games has to be a priority. 

If I’m him OL/OC are my primary off-season targets. If a QB falls in a spot I can grab one I consider it. Only guy I really target to bring in is Mayfield. Others may open up but depend on asset cost. I stay away from anyone who has missed significant time the last few years. Far away. 

Get a hybrid safety on the D and that relieves some pressure on LB. But if Holcomb goes (honestly, if he stays too) another ILB would be a really, really big addition. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Three crappy QBs right? If Howell was a good QB he would have started...if he had any semblance of a dude that could take a three, five, or seven step drop he would have gotten the nod right?  Why hasn't he gotten the nod before or after the other two crappy QBs. 

Since you have been sleeping for the whole season, it seems like, but I will try to get you all caught up. Wentz go down and the #2 comes in and then we are winning games and even few games Howell was the backup and then Wentz was and then Wentz started last game and now he is not and then Taylor said go ahead Howell and have fun with Dallas D since I already had my beating by San Fran and want to end the season on a healthy note. So now we are here.

How we got here is really not that important now is it. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I'm honestly not sure what the emotional motivation is behind this post. I know you've been a Heinicke guy...is it that? Is it general frustration? Is it not liking Howell? Not liking me? (any of those are fine, btw, just curious)

I was just saying that Howell must suck as well since they never played him. You know, 3 bad QBs instead of your post about 2 bad QBs.  And no...I'm not a Heinicke guy.....just a win the game guy. How could I not like you.....your a fan!

• Thumb up 1

Just now, tmandoug1 said:

I was just saying that Howell must suck as well since they never played him. You know, 3 bad QBs instead of your post about 2 bad QBs.  And no...I'm not a Heinicke guy.....just a win the game guy. How could I not like you.....your a fan!

Because I'm very opinionated, can rub people the wrong way, and can be a bit of a jerk at times. Though on the upside, I at least have some level of self-awareness I suppose.  :ols:

As far as Howell, I didn't include him because he's a rookie so it's sort of assumed that he's still getting used to the NFL and the coaches didn't think he was quite ready earlier in the season.

So I guess it would have been more accurate to say 2 bad QBs and 1 unknown late round rookie.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Since you have been sleeping for the whole season, it seems like, but I will try to get you all caught up. Wentz go down and the #2 comes in and then we are winning games and even few games Howell was the backup and then Wentz was and then Wentz started last game and now he is not and then Taylor said go ahead Howell and have fun with Dallas D since I already had my beating by San Fran and want to end the season on a healthy note. So now we are here.

How we got here is really not that important now is it. :)

No worries man, I have watched every game this season as I normally do. Get some sleep and we can talk tomorrow. Maybe Howell beats Dallas.....never know.

Just now, mistertim said:

Because I'm very opinionated, can rub people the wrong way, and can be a bit of a jerk at times. Though on the upside, I at least have some level of self-awareness I suppose.  :ols:

As far as Howell, I didn't include him because he's a rookie so it's sort of assumed that he's still getting used to the NFL and the coaches didn't think he was quite ready earlier in the season.

So I guess it would have been more accurate to say 2 bad QBs and 1 unknown late round rookie.

I would assume the coaches have been monitoring Howells progress and he should be included in the conversation. I mean cmon man, Heinicke and Wentz suck so bad and they don't even kick the tires on Howell...he is bad QB 3 period. And that is not good news!

19 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

No worries man, I have watched every game this season as I normally do. Get some sleep and we can talk tomorrow. Maybe Howell beats Dallas.....never know.

I would assume the coaches have been monitoring Howells progress and he should be included in the conversation. I mean cmon man, Heinicke and Wentz suck so bad and they don't even kick the tires on Howell...he is bad QB 3 period. And that is not good news!

So a 5th round rookie who isn't ready to start early in his first year of the NFL is a bad QB?

And I also think it would have been unusual for a coach to move to a rookie 5th round QB while the team was still technically in the playoff picture, especially for a pretty conservative coach like Ron.

To be honest, this all still does sort of sound like sour grapes about Heinicke. I know you say you don't really care about him that much, but I remember you being a pretty vociferous defender of his for some time.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If tuner goes on Monday which seems possible.  Do they hire Reich and keep Wentz? I think Wentz has to go no matter what. A new offensive system may help get a new Qb?

I think Wentz is a goner either way unless he agrees to a massive pay cut. Reich might be able to get more out of him than Turner, but I still think Wentz has enough issues that an OC can't fix that it probably wouldn't be worth the time.

Also, would Reich take a demotion back to OC?

And I'd assume he'll have a few offers...why would he take one as an OC at a team with so much up in the air? Ownership will almost certainly be changing and, unless Howell absolutely kills it tomorrow, basically no QBs?

4 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If tuner goes on Monday which seems possible.  Do they hire Reich and keep Wentz? I think Wentz has to go no matter what. A new offensive system may help get a new Qb?

Reich couldn't get much of a tune out of Wentz in Indy. That seems to me to be going all in on what is quite clearly a busted flush. I dont see Wentz being here even with a massive pay cut, especially after he **** the bed so spectacularly last week. 

Rumours swirling in the media that at least 9 players have come out in open mutiny against Turner. Dude is gone imo. https://sportsnaut.com/washington-commanders-blame-struggles-on-coaching/

Hopefully we'll get somebody who can draw up plays AND understand how and when to call them... that would be novel.

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think Wentz is a goner either way unless he agrees to a massive pay cut. Reich might be able to get more out of him than Turner, but I still think Wentz has enough issues that an OC can't fix that it probably wouldn't be worth the time.

Also, would Reich take a demotion back to OC?

And I'd assume he'll have a few offers...why would he take one as an OC at a team with so much up in the air? Ownership will almost certainly be changing and, unless Howell absolutely kills it tomorrow, basically no QBs?

Will see.  Keim when he's this level aggressive in a prediction is just about never wrong, he said 0% chance Wentz is back

• Like 2

Keim

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-commanders/post/_/id/42763/why-the-commanders-are-starting-sam-howell-and-whats-next-for-carson-wentz-ron-rivera

But his acquisition was a collective organizational failure. Team sources say it wasn’t just one person pushing for Wentz -- and owner Dan Snyder wanted them to be aggressive in closing the deal, leading to two third-round draft picks being sent to Indianapolis. Sources say the Colts would have released him otherwise. 

But it wasn’t enough to prevent him from slipping to the later rounds. However, Washington liked his arm strength, decision-making and quick release. The Commanders also like that, despite being only 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds, he’s stout in his lower body, which makes him tougher to tackle.

Washington believes Howell has the potential to be a starter. If nothing else, he could become a strong backup.

Why didn't they go to Howell earlier?

Simple, they didn’t feel he was ready nor did they think he was better than Heinicke or Wentz for a team in a playoff push.

Rivera had wanted to get him into a game earlier, but was hoping for a blowout win to make that happen. That didn’t occur. They like how he performed as the scout team quarterback when he was the main backup for seven weeks with Wentz injured.

But one reason Howell wasn’t considered above the others was footwork, making sure his feet are in sync with the timing of the route. On some routes, it’s required they take one hitch before throwing. On others it might be two hitches. The timing of plays are impacted if the footwork isn’t right.

“In college, depending on the concept, I took the same drop for most of our pass plays,” Howell said last month. “Here, every play you’ve got to know the exact drop and know how many hitches the ball should come out to on each progression in the throw. That was foreign to me, but I feel good where I’m at.”

Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese said they’ve seen steady progress, particularly with Howell knowing where the ball must be thrown and why. He said Howell can keep up in meetings.

“I’m really excited to see him,” Zampese said last week.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yean come on Howell.  The dude below is a draft geek type who follows the team.  I agree with his thesis that we don't need killer QB play to win right now.

Hopefully, people here give Howell a break because I expect the game will be really ugly, so am looking for flashes.

With the amount of guys out today... if Howell turns out a good performance it would be a very, very good sign. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

With the amount of guys out today... if Howell turns out a good performance it would be a very, very good sign. 

I was thinking the same thing, so much is working against him, that if somehow by some miracle he does really well in this environment, it actually might show he's might be the guy.  I usually don't live and die by one game but this game is such a bear that I'd be very impressed if he played well. 

• Like 2

A win today could really **** the cowboys season up, too. 

Our defense can definitely hang with their offense. Daks been a TO machine. 

I expect very little and won't hold the game against Howell today, but I'm really excited to see him throwing to Terry and the crew.

• Like 1