Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Pumped for Howell to get the start.  I'm expecting a mixed bag.  Some good moments, and then others where he looks like a rookie, as to be expected. 

I just hope it's not a disaster where Ron and company convince themselves they have to chase a carr or Jimmy G and pour more resources into the QB position.  Not saying this one game should serve as a barometer whether Howell is the man or not, I'm just afraid of what Rivera might do if it gets ugly.

I'm hoping for a QB room of howell, heinecke on a cheap one or two year deal, and a mid-rounder such as haener, duggan, or a howell type prospect that falls in the draft.  Let's devote cap dollars to offensive line and let Howell have an off-season of first team reps and see how it plays out. 

And if howell does better than expected, what a great way to go into the offseason.  With hope for the QB position, hopefully a new owner!  And a revamped oline.  Next summer will be the most positive training camp and outlook for the upcoming season that I can remember.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Heinicke gets a bonus if he plays 60% of the snaps, so it's a bad business decision.

Definitely not. A tiny bonus for 1 game, or a larger contract as a quality backup QB? He's trying to show the FO (and other teams) that he can be the most supportive backup QB out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's become a win win decision thanks to Heinicke sticking up for Howell.

If we lose we could go as high as the 10th pick in the draft and the kid gets some much needed experience.

If we beat Dallas, in a game that's far more meaningful to them than us, we just may have found our starter for next year's lame duck season.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Definitely not. A tiny bonus for 1 game, or a larger contract as a quality backup QB? He's trying to show the FO (and other teams) that he can be the most supportive backup QB out there.

Not to take ANYTHING away from this selflessness, it also allows him to avoid injury that would prevent ANY contract next year.

22 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Then Wentz never should have been taken off IR?

I didn’t like Wentz coming back as we would be stuck with his 2023 contact if injured. That seemed an unnecessary risk to me. As it happens, he also played very bad and by all accounts looked bad in practice. 

Now one game for Howell. Hardly a sufficient sample size for next season. 

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Heinicke is a good dude.  Can't deny it.  Can't deny that his teammates love him.  That has to count for something.

Absolutely.  Here is a guy who got benched after really struggling, might be on his last NFL legs, and he is advocating for an unproven rookie to start over him in a meaningless game which could be his last shot to start an NFL game.  

• Like 1

Just now, KillBill26 said:

Absolutely.  Here is a guy who got benched after really struggling, might be on his last NFL legs, and he is advocating for an unproven rookie to start over him in a meaningless game which could be his last shot to start an NFL game.  

Sounds to me like TH has a fair idea he’s got a job somewhere in the league next season to be honest.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Now one game for Howell. Hardly a sufficient sample size for next season. 

Right. No matter what Handsome Howell looks like this Sunday, I'm not going to draw any conclusions from it. It'll be his first real NFL game action. If his QBR is 8.0 or 80, it'll be impossible to prognosticate any future success or failure based on such a small sample size.I just want him to look prepared, make good decisions, and stay healthy.

Cowboys are fighting for the NFCE crown, so they're going to go all in. I fully expect us to get blown out, but I'll enjoy watching Sam get some experience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Heinicke is such a great guy letting Howell play in front of the defense that Heini is terrified of, who he slobbered all over last year. What a pal.

Heini: Hey Sam! Ya know, you deserve a chance to play since we're eliminated from the paloffs. How's about I let you get a little game action this Sunday?

Sam: Oh gee golly Taylor! You're the best man! Thank you!

Heini: I'm about to end this mfers entire career.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Heinicke is such a great guy letting Howell play in front of the defense that Heini is terrified of, who he slobbered all over last year. What a pal.

IIRC, Heinicke is due to make a 100k bonus each start or something, so the fact that he's sacrificing that makes him a good dude.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Thought it was a fresh new pair of Jordans for each win.

Who the **** knows anymore.

I think it's $44k for being active and $125k for a win.

So, the bench for $44k and not catch an ass kicking, while making himself look worse going into the offseason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think it's $44k for being active and $125k for a win.

So, the bench for $44k and not catch an ass kicking, while making himself look worse going into the offseason.

He obviously doesnt think he will get a win, so put the rookie in!

Its insulting that Ron only is playing him because even Taylor thought it was stupid to not give him a full game. 

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 1

I will say this, the beginning of our season was disgusting.  And then comes TH and makes our games watchable again…getting wins.  I fully acknowledge that he is NOT a starting QB, but I think he’s a very good backup.  He’s ready when his number is called.  I will happily be a Hiver as he made the worst time of my life enjoyable, if only for a few hours.  He loves the game and his team.  I wish him the best and another chance as a backup.  Damned if he didn’t earn it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1