Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Personally, I too was down with rolling with TH while we looked to the draft (2022 and/or 2023). But as has been stated often, RR knew/felt he had to go for an upgrade at qb, and TH lacks the arm talent to make full use of Turner’s scheme.  3rd year in, on top of dealing with the rebrand, TH wasn’t a logical answer, and the 2022 draft looked bad.  While I still hate the fact we didn’t “make” the Colts eat part of Wentz’s salary, I also still believe Wentz was the most logical choice at the time (in the context of all the surrounding factors).  Unfortunately (we can debate the reasons/blame here separately), the oline has blown up in their faces, rendering their chosen qb (so far) perhaps more of a liability than asset.

On a separate, but related note, I do find it pretty ironic that the talk is that the team needs to move towards the ball control, run heavy (relatively speaking) offense that they moved to last year with TH.  There’s context of course, but it’s amusing (to me anyway) on a surface level.

• Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I was all for TH this year but draft a QB in 2023's draft since that is a better QB class. I said to build the OL, DL and improve the secondary instead. But it was more important to stretch the field and ignoring the OL. Now the OL can't protect or give time to QB to actually be able to use his strong arm to throw beyond 20 yards.

TH could have thrown for 20 yards and for $28 million less. But hey only dumbasses make these type of analysis and those who don't know football.... 😂

You’re gonna get crucified for making so much sense lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

I was all for TH this year but draft a QB in 2023's draft since that is a better QB class. I said to build the OL, DL and improve the secondary instead. But it was more important to stretch the field and ignoring the OL. Now the OL can't protect or give time to QB to actually be able to use his strong arm to throw beyond 20 yards.

TH could have thrown for 20 yards and for $28 million less. But hey only dumbasses make these type of analysis and those who don't know football.... 😂

Put me in the dumbass category too then. 

After seeing the low quality of QB's in the last draft and the available free agent QBs (realistic FA's), I thought rolling with TH was a wiser choice.  I was hoping that RR wouldn't panic and stick to his original plan.  Build a really good team and THEN get your QB.  Even if you have to mortgage future draft picks; see the RAMS example.  Ideally, it would be nice to have a Hurts type situation where we can find a QB that's good enough when surrounded with talent and on a rookie deal. 

Think how much better shape this team would be in (present and future) if RR had not panicked.  Those who say he believed in Carson are dishonest. Carson is on a one-year deal!  I smell Sleezy Snyder in the move.  New brand (Commanders) and the lack of cash flow that Snyder was used to created pressure for RR to abandon his plan.  We've seen this before at the QB position.  Jeff George, Patrick Ramsey, McFlabb, RG III, Alex Smith, Haskins, etc.  QB's move the needle and that's all that Snyder cares about.  I'm not saying that Snyder ordered RR to make the move but it's obvious that RR was feeling the pressure.  

I knew for certain that TH was not the answer long-term after the first Dallas game last year.  He was overwhelmed and the lack of arm strength hurt him.  Still, I've enjoyed games with TH so much more than with any other QB since Kurt Cousins.  Surround him with talent and you can steal some games.  You'll never truly be out of it because his mobility offsets his lack of arm strength.  The intangibles (baller), ability to quickly get thru progressions, and Houdini-like pocket manipulation make him the better choice  when you compare him head-to-head with Wentz.  Washington beat the Bucs last year when no one thought it was possible!  The four game win streak was so much fun.  People wanna give a pass to Wentz because of Oline injuries but Heinicke had to deal with 5 different centers.  The roster was decimated by the COVID protocol.  Towards the end of the season, TH had no one to block and no one to throw to.  

Again, I will say clearly that TH is not THE GUY for the future.  I think he'd be a good bridge until the team believes Howell ready.  I can say without a doubt that Wentz IS NOT the QB the team has been looking for.  And I'm not alone in that view.  That has nothing to do with TH.  Regardless of what some Bulletin board bullies infer.  The offense has problems for sure.  But the biggest problem is the one who has his hands on the ball every play.  Number 11.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

QBs struggle their first years and first games in new systems. It's not unheard of. Heck, it happened to Wentz last year. I'm nowhere near a bail on him. TH struggled last year, especially after teams figured him out. I'm optimistic about tomorrow but even if we look bad, I know it's not the end of the season because Ron has showed us his hand and he has teams that play well late. So I expect a run late as our chemistry gets back on track and injuries settle and young players start looking good. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

QBs struggle their first years and first games in new systems. It's not unheard of. Heck, it happened to Wentz last year. I'm nowhere near a bail on him. TH struggled last year, especially after teams figured him out. I'm optimistic about tomorrow but even if we look bad, I know it's not the end of the season because Ron has showed us his hand and he has teams that play well late. So I expect a run late as our chemistry gets back on track and injuries settle and young players start looking good. 

TB, although he is the GOAT, won a Super Bowl in his first year with Tampa in a new system.  His struggles early in their 2020 season weren't as crippling as Carson's are now.  You'd expect a six year QB who was the #2 pick in the first round to be able to adopt a new system sooner.  Hell, as Cooley pointed out he can't be trusted to decipher that 3v3 is better than 3v2 presnap.  Carson is attacking the side with 3 defenders covering 2!  Paulsen pointed out that Wentz still can't read out a simple Dragon (Slant-Flat) concept that 12 year olds can master!  What the hell does that have to do with a new system?!?!  That's basic passing concepts that should have been mastered before highschool!

Sure, Wentz will probably look okay vs teams with defenses that aren't as good as Philly or Dallas.  So what?!?!  Is that your expectation for a QB who is the 12th highest paid QB in the NFL?  That's the equivalent of Spurrier saying 5 and 11 ain't too good.  But there was some teams worse than us.

Wentz is making $25 milllllllllion dollars!  Heinicke made $1.59 million last year.    He's making $475,000 this year.  Wentz is grossly underperforming his contract.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

TB, although he is the GOAT, won a Super Bowl in his first year with Tampa in a new system.  His struggles early in their 2020 season weren't as crippling as Carson's are now.  You'd expect a six year QB who was the #2 pick in the first round to be able to adopt a new system sooner.  Hell, as Cooley pointed out he can't be trusted to decipher that 3v3 is better than 3v2 presnap.  Carson is attacking the side with 3 defenders covering 2!  Paulsen pointed out that Wentz still can't read out a simple Dragon (Slant-Flat) concept that 12 year olds can master!  What the hell does that have to do with a new system?!?!  That's basic passing concepts that should have been mastered before highschool!

Sure, Wentz will probably look okay vs teams with defenses that aren't as good as Philly or Dallas.  So what?!?!  Is that your expectation for a QB who is the 12th highest paid QB in the NFL?  That's the equivalent of Spurrier saying 5 and 11 ain't too good.  But there was some teams worse than us.

Wentz is making $25 milllllllllion dollars!  Heinicke made $1.59 million last year.    He's making $475,000 this year.  Wentz is grossly underperforming his contract.

You're naming things that are irrelevant. Where he was picked and how much he makes doesn't matter. It's about our coaches and him. It's about how he's learning but also how he recognizes things and reverts back to old habits. Cooley is cool story but he had problems with this too. He got hurt and had to realize he couldn't be his old self so he had to learn to play at as old guy. It's what Logan is learning right now as well. It's not just film study like people are saying. 

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

You're naming things that are irrelevant. Where he was picked and how much he makes doesn't matter. It's about our coaches and him. It's about how he's learning but also how he recognizes things and reverts back to old habits. Cooley is cool story but he had problems with this too. He got hurt and had to realize he couldn't be his old self so he had to learn to play at as old guy. It's what Logan is learning right now as well. It's not just film study like people are saying. 

Instead of dealing with the facts you go straight to attacking the sources.  You'd make a good politician. 

4 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

Put me in the dumbass category too then. 

After seeing the low quality of QB's in the last draft and the available free agent QBs (realistic FA's), I thought rolling with TH was a wiser choice.  I was hoping that RR wouldn't panic and stick to his original plan.  Build a really good team and THEN get your QB.  Even if you have to mortgage future draft picks; see the RAMS example.  Ideally, it would be nice to have a Hurts type situation where we can find a QB that's good enough when surrounded with talent and on a rookie deal. 

Think how much better shape this team would be in (present and future) if RR had not panicked.  Those who say he believed in Carson are dishonest. Carson is on a one-year deal!  I smell Sleezy Snyder in the move.  New brand (Commanders) and the lack of cash flow that Snyder was used to created pressure for RR to abandon his plan.  We've seen this before at the QB position.  Jeff George, Patrick Ramsey, McFlabb, RG III, Alex Smith, Haskins, etc.  QB's move the needle and that's all that Snyder cares about.  I'm not saying that Snyder ordered RR to make the move but it's obvious that RR was feeling the pressure.  

I knew for certain that TH was not the answer long-term after the first Dallas game last year.  He was overwhelmed and the lack of arm strength hurt him.  Still, I've enjoyed games with TH so much more than with any other QB since Kurt Cousins.  Surround him with talent and you can steal some games.  You'll never truly be out of it because his mobility offsets his lack of arm strength.  The intangibles (baller), ability to quickly get thru progressions, and Houdini-like pocket manipulation make him the better choice  when you compare him head-to-head with Wentz.  Washington beat the Bucs last year when no one thought it was possible!  The four game win streak was so much fun.  People wanna give a pass to Wentz because of Oline injuries but Heinicke had to deal with 5 different centers.  The roster was decimated by the COVID protocol.  Towards the end of the season, TH had no one to block and no one to throw to.  

Again, I will say clearly that TH is not THE GUY for the future.  I think he'd be a good bridge until the team believes Howell ready.  I can say without a doubt that Wentz IS NOT the QB the team has been looking for.  And I'm not alone in that view.  That has nothing to do with TH.  Regardless of what some Bulletin board bullies infer.  The offense has problems for sure.  But the biggest problem is the one who has his hands on the ball every play.  Number 11.  

It's incredibly clear that the entire coaching staff and FO didn't just think TH wasn't the guy for the future, but he couldn't even be the guy for the present.

Heinicke's mobility is also pretty overrated. He ran so little last season that the coaches publicly called him out on it. It's certainly not enough to offset the fact that the entire playbook has to be pared down just so he can run it with his lack of arm strength.

I know you're a TH fanboy but the whole "intangibles baller" thing needs to go the way of the dodo. That's what people say about poor QBs who don't have the talent to start in the NFL but who try hard.

He's not going to play another snap for this team unless Wentz gets hurt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's incredibly clear that the entire coaching staff and FO didn't just think TH wasn't the guy for the future, but he couldn't even be the guy for the present.

Heinicke's mobility is also pretty overrated. He ran so little last season that the coaches publicly called him out on it. It's certainly not enough to offset the fact that the entire playbook has to be pared down just so he can run it with his lack of arm strength.

I know you're a TH fanboy but the whole "intangibles baller" thing needs to go the way of the dodo. That's what people say about poor QBs who don't have the talent to start in the NFL but who try hard.

He's not going to play another snap for this team unless Wentz gets hurt. 

Guess you missed what I wrote.  Here it is again.  Slow down and actually read before you post next time. 

Again, I will say clearly that TH is not THE GUY for the future.  I think he'd be a good bridge until the team believes Howell ready.  I can say without a doubt that Wentz IS NOT the QB the team has been looking for.  And I'm not alone in that view.  That has nothing to do with TH.  Regardless of what some Bulletin board bullies infer.  The offense has problems for sure.  But the biggest problem is the one who has his hands on the ball every play.  Number 11.  

10 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Guess you missed what I wrote.  Here it is again.  Slow down and actually read before you post next time. 

And you apparently missed what I wrote, which was that the coaching staff clearly didn't think Heinicke was a guy who could even be a bridge. It has nothing to do with him not being the guy for the future. They don't see him as a legitimate NFL starter, period.

Slow down and actually read before trying to claim some moral posting high ground and acting like a jackass.

Edited by mistertim

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

TH struggled when his best receiving options (other than Terry) were Cam Sims and John Bates. I’d like to see what he would do with Samuel and Dotson. Not saying he’s our future but he’s a better option than Wentz right now. 

If Ron and our FO believes TH isn’t capable of being a bridge qb then he’s probably capable of being a bridge qb. We can watch Wentz play like crap for another several weeks and get benched or we could just bench him now and get it over with. TH and Howell will give us better qb play. 

You said to put you in the dumbass contingent, Roane, but you've been in that category for s long time. 😊

We've had many posters over the years that regularly promoted themselves as "coaches" in their posts and they have almost all been more like below average in the quality of their football content.

You are often regarded as a standout example of such by many of those here who actually do know more than the average bear and whose posts don't suffer from seemingly being slaved to a fragile and self-inflated ego that feels beset upon by "bulletin board bullies."

We have one guy though who cites coaching credentials and for many years actually has stood out as someone who is consistently solid in his takes (KDawg). And though he be a mere mortal too, the diff between his product and yours is the diff between TH and TB12.

The few compatriots you have in this klown kar that feels obliged to keep making a lap around the circus arena are in a position like yours---their posting speaks (poorly) for itself.

That's the take of the large majority of the better posters on the site who are able to bring competent analysis to these topics. And they often give appropriate feedback to those who would benefit from it.

Informed feedback, even when critically harsh, can be helpful guideposts to better analysis. But emo-driven ego can be an exceptionally dense wall. 🙂

The few guys here who post in the classic "bulletin board numbnuts" 😈 manner of haters (wentz) and fanboys (TH) are a familiar form of white noise on a site like ours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

They don't see him as a legitimate NFL starter, period.

Yes we know this.

But let's look at some thing different I was thinking the other day...Do you think Pete traded Wilson so he could put Geno in as the legitimate NFL starter? I don't think Geno is a legitimate NFL starter.

So, here is my take - I saw last year that Wilson was on the decline. Wilson led team couldn't even beat TH lead team last year. Pretty bad. No? Wilson has been a disappointment so far this year too. 

So Pete trades him this year. Gets lots of picks for him. Rolls with Geno so he could get his QB in the better QB class of 2023. I am assuming this is what he is going to do. 

This is all I wanted us to do. Roll with the backup so we can get a franchise QB in 2023 - hopefully. I understand the coaches didn't want to do that. But I felt (even before we got Wentz or Howell) build the lines and improve the secondary then go out and get your QB in 2023. Why did we have to go with Wentz this year if we didn't even have the players around him to support him? Did Ron totally screwed that up by thinking he has the players that he didn't have? If Wentz doesn't work out, I guess that will be an expensive gamble for Ron then. 

I don't hate Wentz. I was never high on him either. I was hoping the FO and coaches did something different and not go with another retread. We just haven't had the greatest luck with those types of QBs in Washington.

Z, I'm gonna give ya the answer as to why Ron didn't do that---you won't agree with his thinking but this is why, and it would be the same "why" with any NFL hc:

Professionally speaking, it would be regarded by your peers as beyond indefensible if you chose to play TH as a starter for a whole new season, particularly in a weaker division so open to anyone in it, over getting ANY of the long list of alternatives (even ones you'd hate). That's just how any NFL pro, not fan, would see it.

Furthermore, your comparison is weak. Geno Smith's resume is much more impressive than Taylor's and his skill set is too, and he's been on that team awhile and Pete's known what he can do far better than Ron could know how TH would do over time. 

For one final time, if you could objectively and competently analyze Taylor's wins last year, what good was his vs others that made the play, and what bad was his alone, and his actual on-field skills, both pluses and minuses, you would never have wasted the huge volume of support you have put up for him, though you sort of dialed it back recently while still bringing him up constantly. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

They rolled with the backup last year tho n didn't even get a top 10 pick. 

Probably just draft another d lineman with a top pick anyway. 🤣

I think Pete was waiting for 2023 since the 2022 QB class wasn't too hot this year though. 

• Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Yes we know this.

But let's look at some thing different I was thinking the other day...Do you think Pete traded Wilson so he could put Geno in as the legitimate NFL starter? I don't think Geno is a legitimate NFL starter.

So, here is my take - I saw last year that Wilson was on the decline. Wilson led team couldn't even beat TH lead team last year. Pretty bad. No? Wilson has been a disappointment so far this year too. 

So Pete trades him this year. Gets lots of picks for him. Rolls with Geno so he could get his QB in the better QB class of 2023. I am assuming this is what he is going to do. 

This is all I wanted us to do. Roll with the backup so we can get a franchise QB in 2023 - hopefully. I understand the coaches didn't want to do that. But I felt (even before we got Wentz or Howell) build the lines and improve the secondary then go out and get your QB in 2023. Why did we have to go with Wentz this year if we didn't even have the players around him to support him? Did Ron totally screwed that up by thinking he has the players that he didn't have? If Wentz doesn't work out, I guess that will be an expensive gamble for Ron then. 

I don't hate Wentz. I was never high on him either. I was hoping the FO and coaches did something different and not go with another retread. We just haven't had the greatest luck with those types of QBs in Washington.

No NFL coach is going to trot out a scrub QB so they can get a higher draft pick. Sure, there are situations where the team probably didn't care that much (ala "suck for Luck") but even in those instances it was less the coach trying to lose and more the coach/FO/ownership realizing that they basically had no team and should just look towards rebuilding.

Coaches do have pride and they also do have to think about their careers as well. It's clear that TH simply wasn't an option in their eyes.

As far as Wilson, that relationship in Seattle was completely fractured. They knew that it wouldn't end well in the long run and that Wilson would probably demand a trade, so they struck while the iron was hot and got a boatload of picks for him.

And I'd like to add that nobody truly believes that you only wanted TH to start this season because you wanted to lose more games and get a better pick in 2023. Nobody. I really don't know who you think you're fooling.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I think Pete was waiting for 2023 since the 2022 QB class wasn't too hot this year though. 

Yes, that likely was PART of the calculation he made but what I said in my post above enabled him to "get away" with the move without being totally eviscerated by media and privately by his peers. Geno is much more buyable in said situation than th. And Pete still got a lot of second guessing from media and peers anyway and that will increase if the team starts losing more. All this sort of affects a hc's rep, legacy, desirability as a future hire elsewhere, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No NFL coach is going to trot out a scrub QB so they can get a higher draft pick. Sure, there are situations where the team probably didn't care that much (ala "suck for Luck") but even in those instances it was less the coach trying to lose and more the coach/FO/ownership realizing that they basically had no team and should just look towards rebuilding.

Coaches do have pride and they also do have to think about their careers as well. It's clear that TH simply wasn't an option in their eyes.

As far as Wilson, that relationship in Seattle was completely fractured. They knew that it wouldn't end well in the long run and that Wilson would probably demand a trade, so they struck while the iron was hot and got a boatload of picks for him.

And I'd like to add that nobody truly believes that you only wanted TH to start this season because you wanted to lose more games and get a better pick in 2023. Nobody. I really don't know who you think you're fooling.

If you look at what happened last year towards the end you could see our OL needed to be upgraded and some of the players are not going to come back. If we have gotten Wentz at say 18 mil and have some more money left over to get better players then that would have only helped the QB. It's like your boss giving you 25 mil to spend and you go out and spend all of it all of it on one candy. Sure, it was a gamble. So far the return hasn't been great because we don't have an OL that can protect Wentz and give him more time to throw down the field. We wait and see what adjustment are going to be made to fix that. BRob coming back might spark things. The season is not totally lost yet. The Commanders will, however, need to win in October first. 

I did say that, get your franchise QB in 2023.You could have gotten Turbisky. Not that he is any good either but it would have been someone else instead of TH to make the players happy and for lot less money though. Before the draft I didn't think the OL will be an issue since we will add some players through the draft and free agency. But the FO for whatever reason couldn't get the cap thing figured out before and after getting Wentz. At this point in time without better play from the OL you won't know if you should keep Wentz or not. It is just frustrating all around. :(

I’d say that I cannot believe we’re still talking about Taylor Heieneke, but sadly - I can believe we are still talking about Taylor Heineke.

Ron Rivera could not sell another year of TH to his team under any circumstances.  Stop pretending that was an option.  Sure, it sounds great in theory - tank 2022 to finally draft a stud in 2023.  But that doesn’t sound like a great idea to Terry, Jon Allen, or the other guys in the locker room.  Ron owed it to everyone in that locker room to upgrade the QB position. 

The schtick of “TH isn’t the future, but…” he’s a ballerific, moxie maniac, with four alarm fire hair, that gets through his reads like lightning and escapes pressure like Houdini needs to stop.  Some of you guys have turned him into this mythical figure because of a few cool games.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I by and large haven't loved what I've seen from Wentz but I am not out on him either.

Philly and Dallas sadly have great defenses.  The Titans pass defense is meh.

I am intrigued to see Brian Robinson and Cole Turner today -- both dudes I liked in the draft thread before they drafted them so on a personal level I am very intrigued by both players. 

Perfect storm in a good way for Wentz to change the narrative today.  Got my fingers crossed.  I have a good feeling about this game but lol hopefully that doesn't jinx it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 hours ago, Jds0912 said:

TH struggled when his best receiving options (other than Terry) were Cam Sims and John Bates. I’d like to see what he would do with Samuel and Dotson. Not saying he’s our future but he’s a better option than Wentz right now. 

True and he may do well, but he was also a part of why guys were getting injured with his lobs and guys getting laid out by DBs. We almost lost Terry because of this. We lost Logan and JDM,I can't remember if it was because of those type of hit but it's something to be aware of.

That said, I think TH and Sims have some chemistry. TH throws a more catchable ball that Sims can bail him out with. And Sims is less about timing but more street ball type of plays. 

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I by and large haven't loved what I've seen from Wentz but I am not out on him either.

Philly and Dallas sadly have great defenses.  The Titans pass defense is meh.

I am intrigued to see Brian Robinson and Cole Turner today -- both dudes I liked in the draft thread before they drafted them so on a personal level I am very intrigued by both players. 

Perfect storm in a good way for Wentz to change the narrative today.  Got my fingers crossed.  I have a good feeling about this game but lol hopefully that doesn't jinx it. 

I loved game 1. Since then it's been Ramsey all over again. I don't know how much to blame Wentz vs the line but he's showing he has some skills. Accuracy is a problem though. But I think a lot of this is time in the system. 

Edited by Thinking Skins

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I loved game 1. Since then it's been Ramsey all over again. I don't know how much to blame Wentz vs the line but he's showing he has some skills. Accuracy is a problem though. But I think a lot of this is time in the system. 

Game 1 was great.  But I don't think its all about time in the system.  We've seen some of the things that his critics have hit him for.  Bad decision making.  Pressing in big games (Eagles one) and playing poorly.  Sketchy accuracy.  Bad pocket presence.

But I agree he can bounce back.  I leaned on optimism before.  But just leaned.  Now I lean on pessimism.  But again just leaning.