Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

So Heinicke pulls another rabbit out of his ass and has 1 good drive to get us tied up after playing mostly crappy for 90% of the game. Then proceeds to almost throw 4 interceptions over the next 2 drives but the 36 horseshoes he must have jammed up his bum bailed him out again. It was clear the coaches noticed it too since they clearly didn't trust him to do anything with his arm in OT.

I honestly have no clue what to do at QB. We're not out of the playoff race with this tie, but our offense is crap when we can't run every down, and there's no way we'd ever be able to pull anything like this out against a really good team.

I doubt they go back to Wentz, and I doubt they go with Howell. But refusing to put the game in Heinicke's hands in OT absolutely screams zero confidence in him.

• Like 1

Just now, mistertim said:

The god the coaches had so little faith in that they wouldn't let him use his arm during OT out of fear he'd try to throw more INTs to make up for the 2 that were dropped on the previous drive?

1 loss in 8 games. Bow down. You were the fan boy fluffer for every Jason Campbell win so calm the hell down with your goal post moving. Thanks 

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think we should forget Wentz exists. He’s gone after this year and doesn’t have the mobility behind this line.

I disagree with this. Give Wentz the Heinicke game plan and see if he can soften up the defenses with the added deep threat. And see if BRob and Gibson can give Wentz more time to avoid taking all those sacks.

I want to see what we have in Wentz for real. Especially now that the 2nd round pick is safe.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

1 loss in 8 games. Bow down. You were the fan boy fluffer for every Jason Campbell win so calm the hell down with your goal post moving. Thanks 

You going to start calling for another multi-year $10+ million per year contract for Heinicke again like you did last season before he started stinking the joint up?  :ols:

Again, it's clear the coaches don't believe in him at all. They wouldn't put the game in his hands to win it, and that speaks volumes. They know he basically did his best to turn the ball over 3-4 times over the last 2 drives of the game and wouldn't take the chance again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

I disagree with this. Give Wentz the Heinicke game plan and see if he can soften up the defenses with the added deep threat. And see if BRob and Gibson can give Wentz more time to avoid taking all those sacks.

I want to see what we have in Wentz for real. Especially now that the 2nd round pick is safe.

I’d agree with you if Nick Martin weren’t out center and Cosmi wasn’t hurt again.

Having 3-4 seconds in the pocket isn't long enough if the QB makes bad decisions and hold the ball for 4-5 seconds.  Wentz showed that the decision making just isn't there and he no longer has great athleticism to bail him out.

Heinicke is clearly not the long term path to contention, even though you probably can't bench him while the team is still in the playoff hunt (unless he throws like 4 int or something).

Howell is an unknown, but how many mid rounders become franchise QBs?  I wouldn't have minded giving him a look, but the playoff chase all but rules out a meaningful look.

Most likely, we are back to where we were before this season, looking for a long term answer at QB.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think its just as likely the coaches didn't believe the OL could pass protect more so than not believing in Heinicke.

But on our last drive, the %s say you play for the tie. Its smart. 

I dunno. They were fine with putting it in his hands on the drive before OT. He almost threw 2 back breaking picks and got lucky. I'm guessing that spooked the coaches a bit. They could see he was trying to force stuff and they got lucky that it didn't end poorly. 

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So Heinicke pulls another rabbit out of his ass and has 1 good drive to get us tied up after playing mostly crappy for 90% of the game. Then proceeds to almost throw 4 interceptions over the next 2 drives but the 36 horseshoes he must have jammed up his bum bailed him out again. It was clear the coaches noticed it too since they clearly didn't trust him to do anything with his arm in OT.

I honestly have no clue what to do at QB. We're not out of the playoff race with this tie, but our offense is crap when we can't run every down, and there's no way we'd ever be able to pull anything like this out against a really good team.

I doubt they go back to Wentz, and I doubt they go with Howell. But refusing to put the game in Heinicke's hands in OT absolutely screams zero confidence in him.

If Taylor had even average luck this team would be 4-8. Bad luck and this team is in contention for Bryce Young. 

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Having 3-4 seconds in the pocket isn't long enough if the QB makes bad decisions and hold the ball for 4-5 seconds.  Wentz showed that the decision making just isn't there and he no longer has great athleticism to bail him out.

Heinicke is clearly not the long term path to contention, even though you probably can't bench him while the team is still in the playoff hunt (unless he throws like 4 int or something).

Howell is an unknown, but how many mid rounders become franchise QBs?  I wouldn't have minded giving him a look, but the playoff chase all but rules out a meaningful look.

Most likely, we are back to where we were before this season, looking for a long term answer at QB.

Carson now has had more time to study Scott Turner's system, the OL is playing better, BRob is back, and the defense is playing much better than they did to start the season.

I believe that this week, Heinicke played bad enough and the team did not win, combining to give Rivera sufficient cover with the locker room to make the switch. Especially with the bye coming up.

I think it's honestly kind of a no-brainer. Maybe not that simple, but for me it's not that tough a decision.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I dunno. They were fine with putting it in his hands on the drive before OT. He almost threw 2 back breaking picks and got lucky. I'm guessing that spooked the coaches a bit. They could see he was trying to force stuff and they got lucky that it didn't end poorly. 

I mean on the last drive we threw the ball from our own ~10 yard line and Heinicke got crushed by an unblocked Thibodeaux, almost resulting in a Safety. You can't say the coaches didn't trust him if they're calling pass plays, but we simply could not block anymore at that point in the game. 

Carson now has had more time to study Scott Turner's system, the OL is playing better, BRob is back, and the defense is playing much better than they did to start the season.

I believe that this week, Heinicke played bad enough and the team did not win, combining to give Rivera sufficient cover with the locker room to make the switch. Especially with the bye coming up.

I think it's honestly kind of a no-brainer. Maybe not that simple, but for me it's not that tough a decision.

If we have two 3rd string OL including Nick Martin playing than it won't matter who the QB is. That combination simply can not pass protect for diddly poo.