Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

-Said he personally talked to JD about protecting himself better. Acknowledged that he himself was poor at sliding and when he finally reached that "ah ha" moment of needing to slide more in his own career, it was 2013 and the knee brace made it difficult.

Funny story, I rewatched RG3's first NFL game the other day vs the Saints.

He actually SLID on his first TWO nfl runs.

I was in SHOCK!

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Lots of good meat on the bone

Feels real weird to say this while discussing JD. A stiff breeze would carry him like the plastic bag in "American Beauty". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i want to be excited, and JD does look good. But I cannot get over this feeling of impending doom. 

I feel like us Commanders fans have developed a 6th sense for these things (or maybe we always pick the under since that has been the correct answer for decades).

I just can’t stop the feeling that we pick JD and watch Maye become a perennial pro bowler in 2 years while we are left with a broken QB.

Hoping I’m wrong and I’ll cheer for whoever is picked. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

There are rumors of Jonathan Kraft wanting to be heavily involved, but not sure how true it is. If it's true, that's a problem. And I'm not sure about the coaching staff. Some good people on it, have to see how it works out. 

But for the roster, I keep reading people her talk about how they have "noting" and that's pretty laughable. 

At the moment, their OLine is better than ours (one would assume our draft capital would hep us improve more than they can)

Their TE is better

Stevenson is at least the equal of Robinson. 

The only real advantage Washington has is at WR. And while I think NE needs a playmaker there, it's not exactly a disaster. Demario Douglas showed a lot of promise, Bourne is a good player and KJ Osborne could b a sleeper FA signing for them. They still have JuJu for depth too. 

It's not a spectacular lineup for a rookie to walk into, but neither is ours. And they have Brissett and you;d easily give Maye the time to develop rather than throwing him to the wolves right away. 

They're WR's are pretty awful. Bourne's a jag, Osbourne is admittedly competent, and Demario did decent last year. I'm not sold on Stevenson, he was already an old prospect when he was drafted, and not athletic either, and now he's playing the age cliff year.

I'd agree w/you that they're OL is better, I think their TE position is better too, RB, is probably us because Robinson is younger, and Ekeler was better though way past the age cliff (but less run on the tires, if that matters), rb might be a push or us, but WR its definitely us. 

The problem they have is:

OL is better for them

TE is better for now, but its old AND unathletic too, which means they have a higher floor but no ceiling (we have neither, admittedly)

WR is largely yuck

RB is below average

And if its true that their GM is now the owners kid, kinda like Dallas has been, yikes. 

I think its reasonable to argue this:

Chicago as a landing spot is just okay, C+/B-

DC is a poor landing spot, I'd give us: D+

NE is a poor landing spot, I'd give them a D

Minny is a great landing spot, I'd give them a B+

Oakland is a pretty crap landing spot too: Probably a C-

That's kind of how I see it. What gives us an advantage is our FO is now pretty sound, same with coaching staff, Chicago is at best meh, NEW England looks worse, Minny not sure, and Oakland generally is meh to bad....

If I were a QB, as usual, I'd just want to fall like Rodgers did, to a good organization, good coaching staff, surrounding talent, with an aging QB who needs replacing. Like landing on Minny last year. Next best is a crappy team with a good staff and FO and solid OL and playmakers, worst case scenario is probably NYG, and New England, if we didn't have McLaurin and that F.O., I'd plug us in that group too.

Likely landing spot will not be great for whomever gets the 3rd and 4th guy taken unless Minny is the team trading up (if one does). 

• Like 1

It's crazy how a lot of us remember that RG3 season from 12 years ago.  I remember clowning Colts fan that they took the wrong QB.  That was such a fun season...short-lived...but probably the most exciting season we've had in a long while.

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

'm not sold on Stevenson, he was already an old prospect when he was drafted, and not athletic either, and now he's playing the age cliff year.

I'd agree w/you that they're OL is better, I think their TE position is better too, RB, is probably us because Robinson is younger, 

Stevenson is 11 months older than Robinson, has average half a yard more for his career, scored DTs at a much higher rate and catches a lot more passes. I believe in using ages, but hanging everything on an 11 month age gap seems silly, imo. 

Gibson vs Ekeler at this point I have no idea on. 

Again, I think it is at least a wash if not a slight edge for them. 

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/23/2024-nfl-draft-notes-where-players-could-get-picked

• I’d be pretty surprised at this point if the top three picks don’t go like this—USC’s Caleb Williams to the Chicago Bears, LSU’s Jayden Daniels to the Washington Commanders, and North Carolina’s Drake Maye to the New England Patriots. I’d be stunned if the Commanders moved off 2, and, at this point, almost as surprised if the Patriots moved off 3, even with the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings presumed to be fans of Maye.

The intrigue will then start at 4, where Cardinals GM Monti Ossenfort has told teams that he won’t move the pick until he’s on the clock, if he chooses to at all. At this point, I’m not convinced that a team is coming with an offer that’ll get him to pass on the chance to land Ohio State WR Marvin Harrison Jr.

Why? Well, as I see it, the Vikings are operating from a position of strength, and could very well call everyone’s bluff on needing to go up for a quarterback. For one, J.J. McCarthy may well make it to Minnesota at 11. For another, their situation is such where Kevin O’Connell and Kwesi Adofo-Mensah have the right to think, with cornerstones such as Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, T.J. Hockenson and Christian Darrisaw around the quarterback, that they can win with McCarthy or, say, Michael Penix Jr.

Now, over the last week or so, Minnesota has gotten a little more aggressive on calling around. The Vikings could still move up to 4 or 5 for McCarthy. But I’m not quite as sure that they do that as I was a few weeks ago.

• I was talking to someone last week who knows Los Angeles Chargers coach Jim Harbaugh very well, and asked about his over-the-top praise of McCarthy, which has gone well beyond what you’d normally hear from a college coach talking about a quarterback. This person explained it by laying out Harbaugh’s approach with his teams—and how he’s always treated his quarterbacks almost like they’re his sons.

So it shouldn’t be surprising that Harbaugh, sitting there at 5, could dictate McCarthy’s landing spot, should the Cardinals stick at 4. And if he were to do McCarthy a solid, the most obvious place to send him, of course, would be Minnesota.

As for what might happen if Los Angeles stays at 5, I still think it’s an offensive tackle, but I’m not positive it’s Notre Dame’s Joe Alt. As I mentioned Monday, my belief is that Alabama’s JC Latham is a real possibility there, too, with GM Joe Hortiz high on both he and Alt. Latham, as a road-grading right tackle, would also fit Harbaugh’s philosophy, and cause less disruption on the offensive line, allowing Rashawn Slater to stay at left tackle.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

17 minutes ago, WFT4Ever said:

i want to be excited, and JD does look good. But I cannot get over this feeling of impending doom. 

I feel like us Commanders fans have developed a 6th sense for these things (or maybe we always pick the under since that has been the correct answer for decades).

I just can’t stop the feeling that we pick JD and watch Maye become a perennial pro bowler in 2 years while we are left with a broken QB.

Hoping I’m wrong and I’ll cheer for whoever is picked. 

This is exactly how I feel, too. I just feel like Maye will have prolonged success, while Daniels will put us in constant fear of injury.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

*chucks tweet into basement, closes storm door*

Tho given the time he's spent in NY could easily be that NE said they were trading with Giants and WAS hinted he's not the guy.

The fact that he seems that unsure would seem to be more of an indication that he's not going to Washington, imo. That seems like an "I think Washington will pass and NE seems to want me so I have an idea that's where I'm going" type of answer. 

If we're trying to read things into these kinds of comments. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jg77 said:

It's crazy how a lot of us remember that RG3 season from 12 years ago.  I remember clowning Colts fan that they took the wrong QB.  That was such a fun season...short-lived...but probably the most exciting season we've had in a long while.

This post makes me think that you may be the youngest person on the board. Think our membership is mostly 35+ and heavily weighted towards the 45+ end of that spectrum. Not surprising at all that everyone here remembers the 2012 RG3 season 

Just now, Conn said:

This post makes me think that you may be the youngest person on the board. Think our membership is mostly 35+ and heavily weighted towards the 45+ end of that spectrum. Not surprising at all that everyone here remembers the 2012 RG3 season 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jg77 said:

36 here. Think those of us born in the 1985-1995 range probably have real good representation on here.

We were raised or even overlapped with some of the glory years in the close rearview mirror. Those born 1995-2000 had Gibbs 2.0 and RG3 to get them enticed, but after that there's not been much else. Curious to see what happens when those born between 2012 and 2022 come of message boarding age. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

12 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Stevenson is 11 months older than Robinson, has average half a yard more for his career, scored DTs at a much higher rate and catches a lot more passes. I believe in using ages, but hanging everything on an 11 month age gap seems silly, imo. 

Gibson vs Ekeler at this point I have no idea on. 

Again, I think it is at least a wash if not a slight edge for them. 

I think the age thing just means, on average, Robinson has two more years of utility before the roof caves in, Stevenson probably has 1, but yeah, it's kind of silly. I'd also add that most analytics people feel that Robinson's hyper efficient '23 is simply not sustainable as he's never been this efficient ever, including with Alabama, it just looks like an outlier of outlier seasons, and you get the sense with the Ekeler signing that they agree. I think Robinson is gone after '25, and Ekler is spackle to get us to the selection of a RB in the '25 or '26 draft. We'll ride those guys out for 1-2 more max. 

The one reason I might give them the edge is simply that their starting OL and reserves are probably better than ours, at least last season anyway, period, and that's more important than anything else. If we land a legit OL in the first 70 picks though, we might catch up there. I'd much rather have our pass catchers, so I give us the edge in playmaking. 

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

36 here. Think those of us born in the 1985-1995 range probably have real good representation on here.

We were raised or even overlapped with some of the glory years in the close rearview mirror. Those born 1995-2000 had Gibbs 2.0 and RG3 to get them enticed, but after that there's not been much else. Curious to see what happens when those born between 2012 and 2022 come of message boarding age. 

I actually became a Redskins fan because my favorite player at the time...Mark Brunell was traded here lol.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

34 myself, and I think with a couple of the young dumbasses of recent years banned, our age cohort is probably the youngest with real representation here. Which makes sense given message board age demographics. So those Gibbs II + Shanahan playoff teams were our “glory years” which is brutal. 

2 minutes ago, jg77 said:

I actually became a Redskins fan because my favorite player at the time...Mark Brunell was traded here lol.

Gotta be pretty gratifying that almost any other team would have been more fun to root for in the past 15 years than Washington, but arguably one of the only other complete duds (other than one AFC championship run) was Jacksonville. So you somehow didn’t make a -EV move changing teams to Washington in the mid-2000’s lol, a relative miracle 

So if you’re 31 I think there’s a decent chance that I was actually correct calling you being the youngest (active) member here. We had something like a 26-27 year old who got himself banned last year. 

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Gibbs II and 2012 is pretty slim pickings, that's some dedication.

49 here, its kind of wild to think that I first posted here when some people posting around here were in elementary school, heck, if you include CPND, some posters were apparently around 5 years old when I first started posting circa 1996 (21 back then). 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Man that was fun, as was the Vikings game, the cowboys game on Thanksgiving…what could have been. 

RG3 was absolutely amazing that year.   Man,  I really wish his durability was better than 1 year.....

Just now, srtman04 said:

RG3 was absolutely amazing that year.   Man,  I really wish his durability was better than 1 year.....

Replace RG3 in this statement and you will see it agin in a few years if WAS picks JD.