Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 Positivity Thread

Malapropismic Depository

Speaking of trick plays since they were mentioned, out of all my crazy ideas, this one might be the most realistic :

Hand the ball off to Logan Thomas and have him slide out for an RPO.

His combination of lumbering size that makes him hard to tackle, along with his passing skills, could make him a good dual threat on an RPO play,

so Defenses would have to compensate for both, rather than a single threat on the play.

8 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Well watching Natalia Dorantes on the sidelines behind Ron when camera locks on him, always makes me smile :)

Just don't tell my wife!

Oh my... i thought that was Ron's teenage daughter on "bring your kid to work day"  His infraction from last sunday is considered Child Abuse in some jurisdictions.

Although I've succumb to cynicism after last week, the fact remains we have some EXCELLENT young pieces to build with on this roster. We still have the opportunity to build something special on defense if we don't give up on these pieces too soon. IF we can be patient, and IF we can upgrade a few pieces, there should be a huge payoff for our team. 

18 hours ago, The Rook said:

I believe a healthy Curtis Samuel will have a positive impact on the Offense.

:229:The Rook 

I have high hopes that Samuel is going to totally take the offense to another level. He will be take a ton of pressure off of TMac and things will open up more for TH. If Turner can't score points with these playmakers then it's time to get a new play caller in DC.

• Like 1

We have a lot of good young prospects.  Good teams like Green Bay and St Louis and San Francisco and New Orleans and Tampa Bay are fully matured, their coaches have established their systems and cultures and their key vets are in their primes.  They understand the process of starting each season anew and building into a high level team.  That's not us yet, and expecting us to be at that level was unreasonable and not a failing of the team itself.  But we're on the right track to get there.

We also seem to have established a highly cooperative and functional front office structure that is a major improvement from our past structures.  Mayhew and Hurney bring a lot of steady experience and perspective to the table.  Jason Wright is a talented executive who should definitely help improve Snyder's ownership.  Rivera seems to be a calming presence and he provides us with a hand on the wheel.  He's made mistakes that I have been critical of, some costly ones, but he keeps moving forward.  This front office structure feels different than the past, and that's a good thing.  They are going to bring in talent and good players will want to play here because the leadership is now there.

The name change is also going to be good for us.  It was a bitter pill but it needed to be done.  Having the antipathy of a group of people who were so consistently wronged throughout history just made us a hateful, defensive place of negative energy.  It'll take a while to become firmly established, but a rebrand and a new culture of inclusivity and professionalism is the best thing that can happen for the team, and we're on that course.

On the here and now, we've got a few coaches who feel pretty special.  We've got some awesome young players with strong character.  We had our first non-punter AP First Team All Pro since 1992 in Brandon Scherff.  McLaurin and Allen and Young are the kind of young captains that can lead by example and signal the scope of our leadership development within the locker room.  Young is the biggest talent we've had on the team in a generation and Payne and Sweat are blossoming into probowl caliber players right now.  Our rookie class will take their lumps but there are several strong prospects in it who can turn into really good players.  It's an exciting young group and I think they're maybe a year or two away from being the foundation of a contender.

I also think this is a dynamic league and there has been an up tick in QB movement the past few years, and that a really special QB could come walking through our door next spring and change our ceiling as soon as next season.  We're building the team to make this an attractive destination for a good QB with some control over his fate.  And it's also the kind of place where a reclamation QB who figured things out and got his career back on track like Winston or Darnold or Tannehill could come and thrive.  For instance, it's hard to miss how close Ron is with the Buffalo organization, and that this might be the kind of situation where a Trubisky might rebound after spending a year getting his game and his career right with some really good coaches in a really good system.  We've got options and the ability to go in a ton of different directions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I also think this is a dynamic league and there has been an up tick in QB movement the past few years, and that a really special QB could come walking through our door next spring and change our ceiling as soon as next season.  We're building the team to make this an attractive destination for a good QB with some control over his fate.  And it's also the kind of place where a reclamation QB who figured things out and got his career back on track like Winston or Darnold or Tannehill could come and thrive.  For instance, it's hard to miss how close Ron is with the Buffalo organization, and that this might be the kind of situation where a Trubisky might rebound after spending a year getting his game and his career right with some really good coaches in a really good system.  We've got options and the ability to go in a ton of different directions.

I was listening to Shawn Springs this morning and he made a good point which is a young developing team doesn't typically transform overnight unless they have a transformative QB.  He suggested yeah a Drew Brees or name that stud QB can speed up a rebuild in a heartbeat but without one it takes time until you get that guy. 

There are a lot of good pieces in place.    We need that guy at QB.   Maybe Heinicke is that guy but I am not convinced just yet but I'd need to see more of the movie and for him to develop more.   My fear is his physical limitations limit his ceiling too much.  But will see.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Uh....pretty sure that’s not chief of staff. Chief of staff is Amina Edwards. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-woman-up-amina-edwards-chief-of-staff-of-the-washington-football-team

BOOM !

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-who-natalia-dorantes-washington-football-team-hire-new-football-programs-coordinator

"Ron Rivera, who described Dorantes' position as a "chief of staff" role."

Rivera found inspiration from the Cleveland Browns, who employed Callie Brownson as chief-of-staff

Dorantes will essentially serve as the internal liaison for coach Ron Rivera, who described Dorantes' position as a "chief of staff" role.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/washington-hires-natalia-dorantes-1st-latina-to-be-chief-of-staff-for-an-nfl-team/ar-BB1foqlp

Washington hires Natalia Dorantes, 1st Latina to be chief of staff for an NFL team

The Washington Football Team has hired Natalia Dorantes to fill the newly created role of chief of staff,

Out of 32 teams, 20 have a chief of staff,

Dorantes, 26, is the third woman to become chief of staff

Rivera was looking for someone with those skills. He'd never had a chief of staff before

This is kind of new ground for us, because I’ve never had a quote-unquote chief of staff,” Rivera told The Athletic.

And according to Adam Scheffter, a Chief of Staff

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

There must be two chief of staff roles then, one that reports to rivera and one that reports to Jason Wright. Amina is the one that reports to Jason Wright 

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/team/front-office-roster/amina-edwards

However i did also find this on the team website that lists natalias role as something else, @Malapropismic Depository. Coordinator of football programs. 

6F226C72-5DFF-4705-9451-C6C69C7BC579.jpeg

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

There must be two chief of staff roles then, one that reports to rivera and one that reports to Jason Wright. Amina is the one that reports to Jason Wright 

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/team/front-office-roster/amina-edwards

However i did also find this on the team website that lists natalias role as something else, @Malapropismic Depository. Coordinator of football programs. 

6F226C72-5DFF-4705-9451-C6C69C7BC579.jpeg

Obviously it's another name for the same thing.

In the same article I posted *the first one" that does call her "coordinator", inside that same article it says "Ron Rivera, who described Dorantes' position as a "chief of staff" role."

Those are Rivera's words.

Rivera is the one that hired her.

So I'm goin by what he says her role is.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wow.  Cool shot of the action on the field but all of the faces in the crowd being captured so clearly are what make that photograph amazing to me.  Like a Renaissance tableau.

Why is the guy in the Bills' jersey raising his arms to signal TD for the other team ?

Or maybe he's actually raising his arms in disgust ! 😆

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Obviously it's another name for the same thing.

In the same article I posted *the first one" that does call her "coordinator", inside that same article it says "Ron Rivera, who described Dorantes' position as a "chief of staff" role."

Those are Rivera's words.

Rivera is the one that hired her.

So I'm goin by what he says her role is.

So basically we’re both correct then, since the team has two chief of staff roles it seems :) one that reports to the coach, the other to Jason Wright 

(also i learned this last December, that Amina is dating the son of my parents friends, and i found this out while she’s my coworker! Small world) 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

the team has two chief of staff roles it seems :) one that reports to the coach, the other to Jason Wright 

I hope not.

You know what they say about "Too many Chiefs in the kitchen"...

Or maybe that was Chefs.

Chefs. Chiefs. Same thing, according to the guy who paints the end zones for KC.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Shawn Springs this morning and he made a good point which is a young developing team doesn't typically transform overnight unless they have a transformative QB.  He suggested yeah a Drew Brees or name that stud QB can speed up a rebuild in a heartbeat but without one it takes time until you get that guy. 

There are a lot of good pieces in place.    We need that guy at QB.   Maybe Heinicke is that guy but I am not convinced just yet but I'd need to see more of the movie and for him to develop more.   My fear is his physical limitations limit his ceiling too much.  But will see.  

I think it takes time to transform even when you get that QB because he really can't do it on his own.  It has to happen concurrently with the other sections of your roster.  I like to look at Denver getting Peyton Manning or TB getting Brady as the ideals that we'd be shooting for.  In both cases, the players that were the backbone of their defenses and the weapons they had on offense were well-seasoned vets.  On our team, Scherff is really our only fully seasoned vet of high quality.  Most of our best players are still very young or are inexperienced.  Rivera made a key point when he talked about how you don't get to pick up where you left off from the season before, but instead have to start building your team anew each season.  This is something that I don't think our players really know about yet, and that it's the kind of experience you have to get by doing.  So I think this will be a tempering year, and there are clearly going to be moments where it gets pretty ugly.  But going through it will be part of the process of becoming excellent for our best players.

I don't want to be critical of Heinicke in the positivity thread, plus I like the guy and watching him play makes me happy.  So I'll just say that I am sure we're going to find a direction at QB this offseason.  Either he will prove himself this season or a new vet or draft pick will have the job next season, because the FO knows that's the next step forward.  I'm optimistic that we'll have a handful of options to pick from that are good enough to move forward with.

• Like 1