Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Wouldn't mind bringing him back, but if he's looking to break the bank then let him walk. He's a solid starter, kinda on that Ryan Clark level, but he's not a dynamic game changing playmaker and he plays probably the least important position in the sport.

He’s not looking like a 12-15mil per year player is he. Not for me anyway.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

He's not but FA in general tends to create overpaid players. Some team that also sucks on defense that is desperate for some back end help will probably pay him.

He’s seems the obvious candidate for the tag, but I suspect that could be a vast overpay at this stage.

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

What’s the general view on Kam Curl and his contract situation? Worth a big deal or not ?

Nope and he is going to be humbled by the offers he receives. This is a loaded safety market, especially for box safeties/nickel types. He is competing with Dugger, Chinn among others.

Separately, his value to this D is his versatility. The next DC may not need someone like him

• Like 2

Just now, method man said:

Nope and he is going to be humbled by the offers he receives. This is a loaded safety market, especially for box safeties/nickel types. He is competing with Dugger, Chinn among others.

Separately, his value to this D is his versatility. The next DC may not need someone like him

Good points. Agree.

I did see a tweet where a Giant said we ran lots of man this week and refused to adjust at all to their mesh concepts. I thus presume when BSJ referencing the scheme being complex, it was just more the big picture of the entire frustrating ****ing season. JDR finally goes man vs the Giants heavy but then stubbornly refuses to adjust and we lose anyways. Yes the Giants WR said we didn't adjust at all.

Look at this gem. I am convinced stressing turnovers had Jack think it was going to be INTs. Especially him getting his guy Manny Forbes. Instead his passive approach up front has his D getting burned deep for big play TDs unlike any other team.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, method man said:

For these reasons I really hope we let him test the market. He and his father have both been openly talking about getting PAID for over two years now. Let them see what the market is really like, rather than meeting them 80% of the way to what they want or something before they get to see how slow the market may actually be for a versatile box guy who doesn’t create turnovers. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Look at this gem. I am convinced stressing INTs had Jack think it was going to be INTs. Especially him getting his guy Manny Forbes. Instead his passive approach up front has his D getting burned deep for big play TDs unlike any other team.

I wonder what the record is for most in a season. It's only gonna get worst with the Cowboys and Tyreek Hill alone. Hill might have close to 300 yards recieving. 

• Thumb up 1

Certainly not our DB coach and Del Rio loyalist. Who have after getting axed with Jack in Oakland was apparently coaching high school. Its remarkable how our coaches can escape any and all scrutiny for years. Did a single fan here even know his name? Yet oversees what has to be a bottom 3 worst secondary in the league.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 8.52.56 AM

Brent Vieselmeyer

Edited by RandyHolt

Ok, even if this team does get a new coach, do we even have the right players?  I just don’t think you can coach this defensive unit at all. Just looking at how they play together, they can’t!  You see it every game, every year!  Even if they bring “the greatest defensive coach “ever”, Bill Belichek”, I don’t think he can turn them around! That secondary and linebacker unit is trash!  Only thing going for this defense is that interior DL!  Still going to need an edge rusher!

15 minutes ago, ultravin said:

Ok, even if this team does get a new coach, do we even have the right players?  I just don’t think you can coach this defensive unit at all. Just looking at how they play together, they can’t!  You see it every game, every year!  Even if they bring “the greatest defensive coach “ever”, Bill Belichek”, I don’t think he can turn them around! That secondary and linebacker unit is trash!  Only thing going for this defense is that interior DL!  Still going to need an edge rusher!

The whole roster is going to be rebuilt, or at the least retooled. Rivera did a terrible job assembling the roster, and the coaching exacerbates that. It isn’t as bad as it appears, but it isn’t as good as people wanted to believe coming into this season. Will change schemes as well 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

There is no synergy to this roster construction. 

We got a strong armed QB but small WRs who dont get open. 

We wanna feature the TE but dont draft a single one in a loaded TE draft class, jnstead relying on an old QB convert.

We wanna run deep slow developing pass plays but dont invest in any good OL.

We draft a CB who is good in zone but play a lot of man. 

We draft an athletic LB who is at his best attacking and make him read and react and cover.

We have two talented DTs who are good at blowing up plays and ask them to play contain. 

its just a mess. BLOW IT AL UP

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not convinced that our receivers not getting open isn’t directly related to whatever EB is attempting to do.  Yeah, Terry has a toe.  But too often I’m seeing the back of Terry’s jersey when Sam is getting sacked or evading pressure.  I’m just not seeing routes that match the circumstances.

There were also a couple plays where Sam scrambled to buy more time only

for the receivers to stand next to a defender just watching.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Its annoying af to see WRs wide open behind our DBs over and over again. Dak missed a few open deep; it could have been much worse.

Of course its always exacerbated by our WRs blanketed deep. 

I am struggling to see any benefit of Harris holding onto JDR. It's only negatives. Now our team captains are forced to point the finger at him by Harris doing nothing more than laughing up in the box. The players on D are at their breaking point.

Edited by RandyHolt

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not convinced that our receivers not getting open isn’t directly related to whatever EB is attempting to do.  Yeah, Terry has a toe.  But too often I’m seeing the back of Terry’s jersey when Sam is getting sacked or evading pressure.  I’m just not seeing routes that match the circumstances.

I think the dismantling of the offensive line over the course of a few years has just as much to do with how bad some of these playcalls look, due to how much pressure Howell has to deal with on most passing downs. I'm not saying that bienemy has been fantastic or anything, but this OL is about as talent deficient as I can recall seeing this team fielding. At least shanny's lines could zone run block, this lot can't do much of anything aside from backpedal.

Charles Leno is the best of them and he'd be a swing tackle on a good team. I'm not sure any OC would thrive with this mess. It's a miracle that Howell has looked as good as he has.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/20/2023 at 6:03 PM, Conn said:

For these reasons I really hope we let him test the market. He and his father have both been openly talking about getting PAID for over two years now. Let them see what the market is really like, rather than meeting them 80% of the way to what they want or something before they get to see how slow the market may actually be for a versatile box guy who doesn’t create turnovers. 

It's at the point despite what he thinks, what he brings to the field right now in no way is keeping this defense from being as atrocious as it is. 

Curl's strength was communication, Forrest strength was understanding coverages, they look just as lost as everyone else back there right now.

I'm not convinced anyone has to be kept on a historically bad defense.  I don't feel as hard on keeping him as I did start of the season, he's lost in the mix more then standing out. I kinda hope someone rolls out a tv during negotiations and points to the screen with a laser pointer "is this you?"

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1