Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The question is compensation.  What do you get for a DE on an expiring contract for a 10 game rental? 

Is a 4th worth it?  Would they get a 4th?  5th?  I doubt you would take anything less than a 5th. 

The expiring nature of the contract and the 10 game rental vastly decrease the trade value. Though I think the receiving team inherits the right to franchise either one.  

If take a 4th and run to the bank for Sweat.  

Young, I dunno.  I think it would have to be more.  He’s returning to form and I think at the very least they franchise him in the off-season.

I just find it hard to believe the value is there for a 3rd rounder or better.  But if it is, I’d jump on it.  

Bradley Chubb + a 5th went for a 1st, 4th and Chase Edmonds last year. Your valuation is too low based on how both guys are performing this year. The only X factor is if other EDGEs at that caliber are on the market and the only guy who comes top of mind is Burns

21 hours ago, method man said:

That Mathis stat is wrong. He did play last year before going down in the Jax game

21 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Correct, he just has no stats so it's like he never existed other than on the CAP stats

Yeah but he did play in 2021 his senior year at Alabama so I'm not sure how he could have been 21 then and turning 26 next week especially since his birthday is in April. 

That stat appears to have been wildly fabricated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Can you remember the last time a player on an expiring contract was traded for a high return? Honest question. I can’t. Maybe I’m missing one, but I don’t think it happens much in the NFL.  Unlike in baseball where it happens all the time. 

Bradley Chubb was traded for a first rounder last year.  Roquan Smith was traded for a second and fourth last year.  But guys had expiring contracts.  It is no uncommon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I would expect the new owners to invest in free agency so the comp pick factor is a moot point in reality.

Maybe, but we may have a dozen FAs leaving and if the new GM year one wants to restart his own build, that is a ton of comp picks. 

If we sign one or two key players and let the rest walk, it sets us up really really well the following year. It's not exactly "the process", but kind of an NFL version of it. Worked really well for the Dolphins.

That might be the way to go. Just fix the OL to protect Sam, load up heavy on future draft picks. Puts us in a great spot in 2025, with a ton of cap and picks.

Going by Harris and the way he's handled his other two franchises, he's going to hire a very forward thinking GM and let the man cook.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Yeah but he did play in 2021 his senior year at Alabama so I'm not sure how he could have been 21 then and turning 26 next week especially since his birthday is in April. 

That stat appears to have been wildly fabricated.

He played four years at Alabama.  What a dumb and easily verifiable thing to lie about on Twitter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Every week I see a defensive touchdown from a team. Either a pick six or a scoop and score. Even bad defenses sometimes get one. Here we are almost halfway through the season and we haven't even sniffed one.  So frustrating. 

I wish that was the biggest issue with the defense...kind of like we thought going into the season

On 10/23/2023 at 8:04 AM, DWinzit said:

I wish that was the biggest issue with the defense...kind of like we thought going into the season

The real kick in the coconuts is we used a 1st rounder to get TDs pick 6 baby and... and he got benched.  Doubling down on the futility of it all.

Other teams try to create far more chaos than us, which I feel confident leads to more potential turnovers.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2023 at 8:04 AM, DWinzit said:

Yeah.  If we could stop giving up back breaking plays through the air, we'd have won the Chicago and Philly games.

At least the run defense looks improved.  Jamin has gotten really good, Curl is playing well, and Barton is playing better.  They contained the two most talented backs in the league the past two weeks.

• Like 2

We are decent against the run. Not decent against the pass. FantasyGuru Jeff Mans said St Juste is going to get torched by AJ even though they usually line up on opposite sides. It'll be interesting to see who he burns on his big plays - keep an eye on it to compare how Forbes did.

TDs allowed by defenses:

image.thumb.jpeg.70e60512d5f23e342829657410163520.jpeg

WRCB-23-W8.png

Edited by RandyHolt

I would have to think that if we had a better DC we would have a better defense. When has Del Rio ever come out and put pressure on the opposing QB like teams do to us? It never happens. He always waits until we are getting the breaks beat off us to react. 

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Alexa said:

I would have to think that if we had a better DC we would have a better defense. When has Del Rio ever come out and put pressure on the opposing QB like teams do to us? It never happens. He always waits until we are getting the breaks beat off us to react. 

Preach. It kills me to see him call it soft to start games inevitably give up 7 which lets teams just tee off on our woeful pass pro and attack Howell and the LOS from the first snap.

Its a shame JDR will never go for the throat to start a game. Happy to lay back and rely on his vanilla base D that the OC was able to easily game plan for. Worst that can happen? Give up 7 or 3 which usually happens any way. Go for a 3 and out and start playing the field position game at least. Pressure turnover prone QBs from the start.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alexa said:

When has Del Rio ever come out and put pressure on the opposing QB like teams do to us? It never happens. 

All our defenses over the last 20+ years turn into this. We had a good run early in Gregg Williams.

They had a chance when Collins was playing Buffalo nickel, who knows if he was just freelancing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leonard Washington said:

All our defenses over the last 20+ years turn into this. We had a good run early in Gregg Williams.

They had a chance when Collins was playing Buffalo nickel, who knows if he was just freelancing. 

And the thing with Collins is that it seems that they figured out how to use him too late. Then his contract expires and we had to let him walk.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

And the thing with Collins is that it seems that they figured out how to use him too late. Then his contract expires and we had to let him walk.

He also didn’t want to play the role. The staff did a poor job selling it to him. Shame all around because Collins probably would still be playing otherwise. 

Just now, Leonard Washington said:

He also didn’t want to play the role. The staff did a poor job selling it to him. Shame all around because Collins probably would still be playing otherwise. 

Did he get cut by the Giants? I don't recall hearing his name called during last week's game.

I just heard that our Manders run the 2nd most man coverage in the league. Meaningless without more context.

What it doesn't tell? How much of that is zone match man - basically playing off / quarters. Soft man. Flaccid man. Never a good thing.

I want us to lead the league in press man with Forbes benched coupled with our studly DL to stop play so ****ing soft. Qbs must love playing us.

Edited by RandyHolt

32 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I just heard that our Manders run the 2nd most man coverage in the league. Meaningless without more context.

What it doesn't tell? How much of that is zone match man - basically playing off / corners. Soft man. Flaccid man. Never a good thing.

I want us to lead the league in press man with Forbes benched coupled with our studly DL.

That surprises me.  And you right we do need more context.  All that said, I feel like we have run less of a Fangio style defense this year.  We have been bringing safeties down to help with the run and playing more man coverage particularly against teams like the Eagles and Falcons where we feared their run game a lot.  I actually thought our defense was better even if it was frustrating at times we would mostly just ran Fangio two high safety zone match stuff.  This year we are mixing it up more and we are not playing it well.

• Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, philibusters said:

That surprises me.  And you right we do need more context.  All that said, I feel like we have run less of a Fangio style defense this year.  We have been bringing safeties down to help with the run and playing more man coverage particularly against teams like the Eagles and Falcons where we feared their run game a lot.  I actually thought our defense was better even if it was frustrating at times we would mostly just ran Fangio two high safety zone match stuff.  This year we are mixing it up more and we are not playing it well.

They are a defense that plays well for most downs but regularly give up explosive plays to extend drives or points. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

What it doesn't tell? How much of that is zone match man - basically playing off / quarters. Soft man. Flaccid man. Never a good thing.

I want us to lead the league in press man with Forbes benched coupled with our studly DL to stop play so ****ing soft. Qbs must love playing us.

We've done this every year. We play man on defense and have a heavier pass ratio on offense to start the year, then after we suck, we do the opposite of those things and go on a win streak.

I expect that to happen again..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

Isn't Williams coaching the defense for the DC XFL team? Maybe the new coach can give him a call. He is better than anything we have had here since he left. 

• Like 1