Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Hurricane/Tropical Cyclone thread

RichmondRedskin88

Ida is poised to hit Louisiana as a Category 4 (Or atleast a very strong Category 3) on the 16th anniversary of Katrina.  

NO mayor has just issued a warning to evacuate now.  Highways out of New Orleans are in gridlock and many people are unable to leave the city at this point.  Deja Vu? 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

59 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Oh man, I thought it was gonna hit Richmond. Cause @RichmondRedskin88 is the go to poster for when things in Richmond are getting dicey.

I hope New Orleans will be ok.  

I mean if a hurricane comes up the Chesapeake at Richmond sure but it’s not sooo yeah. (Most of your post seems to be directed at me rather than the topic.  If there’s a issue from another discussion perhaps PM rather than hijack? )

——

Anyway back to the topic.  Likely category 3/4 but can’t rule out a 5.  The gulf waters are 85 degrees.   Currently New Orleans hospitals are packed with Covid.  I-10 is basically not moving traffic wise.  The track moved slightly east which puts NO on the right front which means that it could be in for major hit if that track holds. Katrina was essentially a head on which is much better unfortunately for the city the drainage failures resulted in the disastrous floods.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

This is terrifying to watch. Shes a ****ing monster and is rapidly building to knock out anything in her way. Pressure rapidly dropping under 930 is insane.

I lived through that when Maria hit and it changed me. I get goosebumps thinking about it and will always have ptsd. 

• Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is terrifying to watch. Shes a ****ing monster and is rapidly building to knock out anything in her way. Pressure rapidly dropping under 930 is insane.

I lived through that when Maria hit and it changed me. I get goosebumps thinking about it and will always have ptsd. 

I lived in Homestead Florida when Andrew came through and literally destroyed everything.  I feel ya KB.  To this day high winds and driving rain wrecks me emotionally.  I remember vividly the first time I saw the outside walls of the house: there was a roof pipe driven through the cinder blocks and avocados had basically been shot like cannonballs through the roof.

Do what you can to stay strong, be safe and get to the other side NOLA.

• Sad 1

• RichmondRedskin88 changed the title to Official Hurricane/Tropical Cyclone thread
54 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I lived in Homestead Florida when Andrew came through and literally destroyed everything.  I feel ya KB.  To this day high winds and driving rain wrecks me emotionally.  I remember vividly the first time I saw the outside walls of the house: there was a roof pipe driven through the cinder blocks and avocados had basically been shot like cannonballs through the roof.

Do what you can to stay strong, be safe and get to the other side NOLA.

I never understood how powerful a category 5 is, until I survived one. Floods, thousands of tornadoes, wind so loud that it's almost silent. Watching your home flex and move and crack apart and you can't do anything but pray for survival. 

I was in a room with 20 screaming dogs in 2 foot of water and couldn't hear a single one.

That feeling when you hit your breakers, turn off your phone, write your SS#on your chest and close that last storm shutter and pour a drink isn't something you can explain. 

Open up in the morning and there's nothing. Everything is just brown. Even the grass is gone in spots. No trees. Debris everywhere. And the cleanest air you've ever breathed.

Then the aftermath of no power for 4 months. Food and water shortages. Military and response workers everywhere. It's crazy. 

The people here are incredible though. Everyone hugging and laughing and celebrating every inch of life for a year. Carnival was a party that year ill never forget.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This won't be Katrina in that the wind radius for this storm is much more tightly packed, meaning you're not going to see the massive 15-20+ foot surges Katrina brought along such a big chunk of the coastline.

But the winds in this storm will be stronger than Katrina near the eyewall.