Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2021 Preseason - Washington Football Team @ New England Patriots

zCommander
Message added by TK,

image.thumb.png.74ffd521092fe3f4bae75d218b1df7db.png

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

So after watching the game and having a day to sit on my thoughts, here's some quick thoughts from that game: 

-Chase Young was the best player on the field, which is exactly what we want. Need him to be DPOY candidate.

-Sam Cosmi looked good for a rookie. Probably our best rookie performance last night.

-Jamin looked fine. Didn't miss tackles, not many impact plays due to not being able to dissect the plays quick enough. He'll get there, his speed and tackling is where it needs to be. 

-Dyami Brown can get separation at this level which is great and the most important thing we should be looking for.

-St-Juste is a really good tackler and physical. If the guy gives up a 3 yard reception, it isn't going for 4. 

-All our rookies looked promising but I didn't notice Toney or WBK much at all. 

-The discipline was great, I think we only had 3 flags that entire game. 

-NFL refs are a joke. It should have been 15-15 and AGG got screwed (although he's gotta hold onto that)

Hard not to quick thought that game and have Hopkins come to mind but you managed it! 

I couldn't see the game live and have only just watched it. My thoughts on the game mainly mirror previous posters, I thought that our core players all played to expectations but I wanted to share my thoughts on the new guys, so for what it's worth;

Sam Cosmi: I thought that he played really well for a rook. He did get caught off balance a few times but managed to save the situation using raw strength. He had one blatant false-start that the refs missed, but it would be ultra picky to demerit him for that. I think he gets the week 1 start.

Ben St-Juste: He surprised me how natural he looked. He didn't play like a rookie, he looked positionally aware and tackled well. A great pick in the third round.

Dynami Brown: Apart from the fact (yes, fact!) that "2" is a stupid number for a WR, Dynami did okay (2 catches on 4 targets for 16 yards). We didn't really open up the long passing game, so there's probably more to come from the speedster.

Darrick Forrest: I didn't really watch his play, but I noticed him around the ball and making tackles quite a bit, so positive vibes from him.

Dax Milne: He played okay (2-4-16yds, the same stats as Dynami) and he looked a lot bigger than I thought he was. He was smooth in his route-running and looked comfortable returning punts. It's only one game, but I think he makes the 53.

Cam Cheeseman: The long snapper snapped the ball long, 'nuff said. I guess that you only really notice a long snapper if he ****s up.

Jamin Davis: Even though I was excited to watch our number-1 pick play, I'm embarrassed to say that I kinda forgot to focus on him so can't really comment. He made four tackles (one solo).

WBK and Toney; Didn't watch their play but they made three and two tackles respectively so they contributed.

Jaret Patterson: I can't praise him enough (10-40yds rushing, 4-4-30yds receiving). The little bowling ball definitely makes the 53 and we all need to listen to @KDawg more.

Sam Reyes: Dude looked huge and didn't look out of place at all. Caught a nice 20-yarder, blocking looked okay, and I really hope he makes the team.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Did what he had to do, he looked composed and seemed to have a good grasp of the offense. Made a few good throws and I'm very confident with him behind center.

There were a few negatives that I took from the game.:

Dustin Hopkins: Missed two FGs. I don't remember hearing of any competition being brought in to push Hopkins which was a mistake if true.

Temarrick Hemingway: He had a nightmare and looked lost out there. He dropped a few passes (0-3-0yds) and whiffed on a block. He seemed small in relation to the other TEs. Temarrick was being touted as the number 2 TE after a good camp, but based on this showing he won't make the cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Even ignoring the context (see below), sure seems like you’re arguing that an inexperienced qb that initially looks skittish in their first NFL action has no place on an NFL team.  And here we’re talking about a guy that looked skittish, then became more comfortable and actually performed pretty well later that same game… to some extent at least.

Context:  sorry, but I very much disagree that he’s “had plenty of time at this point to know what you have in him”.  He’s had zero OTAs, a bit more than one training camp, and now 1 preseason game.  Never had backup reps, let alone starting reps (and of course 3rd stringers, let alone 4th stringers, are usually mostly observers at practice).  Needless to say, I feel like you’re underselling him a bit - he was not as bad scrambling as you claimed, and he made some clutch plays, which is big for a young guy. 

Now, with all of that said, I saw the problems you mentioned and agree with a lot of your analysis.  Will be interesting to see how things go the next two games.  I like him in theory - the young, good-sized, developmental qb with wheels - but I sure haven’t seen enough to think he’s a guy we should for sure continue to develop.  On the other hand, it’s way too early to say it’s not worth developing him either (IMO) - for us fans anyway… the coaches have seen him in the qb room, weight room, have seen him take a few snaps in practice, and maybe run the scout team at times last year (though that’s usually the 2nd stringer’s job), so I’ll trust what they’ve seen to this point.

Sorry if any of the above comes across snarkily - absolutely not my intent… I just disagree with the overall premise (that he’s wasting a roster spot).  For now anyway.

Not taken snarky, as it's not my intention either but I'm sure some of it has.  Unfortunately, we will have to agree to disagree about Montez.  It's almost a chicken vs egg situation for me: was it that he settled in as he got more comfortable or did his circumstance place among the talent he best falls in line with(players that in most instances wont be on these rosters come cut down, unless they over achieve in other areas such as special teams).   I won't tie up or derail the thread any more with this, if you'd like to continue feel free to DM me.  I've enjoyed the conversation.  Either way, enjoy the season!

On 8/13/2021 at 7:09 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

The offense looked bad.  The line had trouble making holes and they were giving up pressure, the QBs were inconsistent, and we're still not getting separation outside of Terry.  Hopefully Samuel gets back soon, because it looks to me that our WR/TE group is still subpar and our backs are still the only guys getting open and that feels like defenses are giving that away because they don't fear the backs in the open field.  I'm worried about RB too.  It doesn't feel like our depth can hold up to the 17 game season at all, and New England building a stable at both that position and TE suddenly looks very smart for a conservative, keep it between the numbers offense.  I should have known better than to drag Belichick for those TE moves this off-season.

Felt like the defense looked pretty good even without Sweat, but the linebackers were hit or miss.  The fact that Jamin Davis comes off the field and Bostic stays on in passing subs is disappointing.  He's further behind than we were led to believe from camp coaching staff rhetoric and coverage.  I think it's going to take him a while to get up to speed, but I'm hopeful that it happens this season.

I'm not as sold on William Jackson being as good as everyone seems to say he is either.  I think he's a nice player, but not sure he'll be the clear upgrade over Darby's play from last season that has been widely assumed.  St. Juste looks special to me though.  I think he could be pur best draft pick this season.

Our real problems are on offense though.  They just don't have a ton of talent and I can see why Fitz has so firmly taken control of the starting QB job.  If only he were eight years younger.  Heinecke looked like an off schedule QB without an off schedule arm or off schedule timing.  That's a bummer, I am really rooting for him.  Hoping he gets better each week.

I'm also annoyed that Mac Jones looked as good as he did.  Accuracy was still a bit dodgy to my eye, but his reads and decisions were excellent and his poise was excellent.  I panned him hard in the draft thread, but I'm probably going to have to cut my losses on him.  He just looked like a competent, starting caliber QB, not a deer in headlights at all.  Still doesn't mean I wish we had traded up to get him, but I'm starting to see what people liked about him so much.  Josh McDaniels is good.  That organization is so good.  He definitely has a chance to pan out.

Agree the poise factor is huge; Jones reminds me of Burrow in that aspect. As an aside Rodny Cajuste playing for NE as I remember you liking him

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zskins said:

It is okay to say, "I was high and drunk as ****", when I posted in the wrong thread. No one here to judge.

High...yes.. drunk...nope..I'm up at 2 am on Friday's to get ready for work...and I drink only on Saturday 

Edited by bakedtater1