Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Visiting Charlottesville - I have questions

tshile

Wife and I are leaving Friday coming back Sunday. Anniversary weekend. In about four weeks. I’ve been through Charlottesville, stopping to do things and even stay the night at a hotel, but never gone there just to see the city. 

is the Uber situation normal for a city that size? Shouldn’t have any problems right?

we’re definitely dedicating time to winery hopping. Any recommendations are appreciated. Wife actually has an excellent pallet so while a place with excellent wine is wasted on my garbage tastebuds, she will appreciate it. 

there may be time for breweries, same applies, just low priority depending on what else fills out. 

looking at getting an Airbnb - any recommendations eg: stay in this area to be near the good bars, stay away from here, this area has cool ‘in the mountains’ spots, etc. 

spa/message suggestions 

dining suggestions. Anything with meaning to the city is cool, otherwise nice places of any type of food. 

bar/club suggestions

any sort of theater/performance thing to check out 

and then any ‘find time to check this out’ stuff. We’re the type that’s constantly on the move and trying to cram as much in. Well, she is, I just always lose the argument over the plans. 

Any help with this is much appreciated :cheers:

36 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Nelson Co is southwest of C-Ville.  Tons of wineries there along 151.  We had a woman who drove us around in her van and made us a picnic lunch.  I’ll see if I can get her information.  Blue Mountain Brewery in Afton is great!

@tshile I’m not gonna be super helpful for some of your Charlottesville questions, but I’ve lived along 151 for most of my life so if you end up making it out this way I’d be happy to give you some pointers. There’s like a dozen wineries, three breweries, and two cideries along a 15 mile stretch of highway in the Rockfish Valley. Beautiful mountain views here, tons of Airbnb’s, heard good things about the wine but I’m not a wine guy. If you want to do any hiking, this is also a nice place to be. 

Similarly in this area, my wife has said good things about the spa at Wintergreen Resort. It’s on the top of the mountain so a bit of a hike to get up there, just FYI. There are also other good spas around that would be more convenient to cville. 

If you’re looking for more of the restaurant/nightlife/theater/art scene, stay in Charlottesville within walking distance of the Downtown Mall. They’ve got all of that covered. Not an Airbnb, but we had our wedding reception at the Omni there. Really like that hotel. 

• Thanks 1

I was there doing winery hopping Memorial Day weekend.  We were like 20 minutes from downtown and had no problem getting Uber/Lyft coming out our way to take us downtown.  We didn't take them to wineries though because they were further away.  We rented a small house for 6 adults.  If we could do it again I'd rather stay closer to downtown probably.  Going to wineries though, they are so spread out I wouldn't have wanted to take uber back/forth to every winery and place we went.  We were like 30-50 minutes away (one way) from each one we went to.

I am not a wine person at all, I was there more to tag along for my wife's friends birthday celebrations, so I can't really comment on the wine.

My favorite one we hit up was Mount Ida as someone mentioned.  It's definitely a more upscale winery than any other one I had been to.  It had some nice views up there too.  Food was kinda nothing special and I expected more from such a fancy place though.

I also went to Veritas and "meh", I didn't think much of that place.  It was just kind of outside in a field.  Nothing wrong with it, just felt like any other winery I've ever been to.  

I can't remember the name of the last one we went to but it was Dave Matthew's winery.  It again felt kinda "meh" to me.  Again, nothing wrong with it but just nothing special about it either.

We also went to a distillery called Ragged Branch which had some awesome views as well up on this hill.  I'm also not a bourbon drinker but had a flight there and it was not bad.

The places we ate for dinner were forgettable and I don't even remember what they were called so I won't even bother mentioning them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tshile said:

we’re definitely dedicating time to winery hopping. Any recommendations are appreciated. Wife actually has an excellent pallet so while a place with excellent wine is wasted on my garbage tastebuds, she will appreciate it. 

I understand the pandemic has been stressful but I don't think most wineries actually sell it by the pallet.

• Haha 9

28 minutes ago, techboy said:

I understand the pandemic has been stressful but I don't think most wineries actually sell it by the pallet.

Once you get far enough outside the Charlotteville city limits I would think they sell it by the half cord.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

A bit outside the city but very romantic!

Yeah they are booked. 

In fact it seems all but one b&b is booked despite them all reopening on July first. Guess I missed it by a week…. The one that isn’t booked required me to email them. I’m assuming they’re booked too. Hence airbnb’ing it. 

Ok so far we’ve got:

- staying downtown by the mall

- hitting up 151 wineries. How well this list fills out will determine if we hit others. We want to, but they’re spread apart 

- Ragged Branch

- aimlessly walking around downtown and seeing what happens. 

any specific restaurants anyone recommends?

the polo match sounds fun but we’re bouncing out of there early Sunday :( 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Ok so far we’ve got:

- staying downtown by the mall

- hitting up 151 wineries. How well this list fills out will determine if we hit others. We want to, but they’re spread apart 

- Ragged Branch

- aimlessly walking around downtown and seeing what happens. 

any specific restaurants anyone recommends?

the polo match sounds fun but we’re bouncing out of there early Sunday :( 

If you can swing by Dr. Ho’s while you’re out hitting up wineries, you’ll be damn glad you did!

https://www.drhoshumblepie.com/

• Thanks 1