Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

San Diego is going to beat us in week 1 anyway.

They haven't played any starters this pre season..can u say rusty..

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I would assume the ramp would continue throughout the season for Curtis Samuel.  Minority of snaps to start.  Then eventually he feels comfortable and gets majority of the snaps.  But for Week 1?  It's a good thing we drafted Dyami Brown, I'd bet he'd have to play more than usual.

That's very beneficial for the rookie ..excellent opportunity to see how our draftees pan out. Cosmi Patterson brown..doesn't look like j davis will start or am.i wrong?

44 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

San Diego is going to beat us in week 1 anyway.

I'm not sure where all of this San Diego hype has come from.  I get hype around Herbert.  But that team usually disappoints.  They've made the playoffs as many times in the past decade as we have.

I don't feel like their overall roster is that good.

Edit:  I don't even know how many years it's been and I'm still saying San Diego?  Jesus Christ I suck.

Edited by Alcoholic Zebra

56 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Everett wouldn't be much of a surprise, he's far from a lock. He's a back-up, who's expensive, and at a position of depth. In fact, I think the team would like to move on from Everett...if it can be fine with a decent replacement for the special teams.

I agree with all this… but I still think it would be considered a surprise to most people. 

44 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm not sure where all of this San Diego hype has come from.  I get hype around Herbert.  But that team usually disappoints.  They've made the playoffs as many times in the past decade as we have.

They did everything they did last year with a rookie who had even less of a training camp than every other rookie.  Herbert's the real deal.

They're not under Norv or Schotty, so they could actually do something in the playoffs.  The whole guard in the AFC seems to be changing.

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

They did everything they did last year with a rookie who had even less of a training camp than every other rookie.  Herbert's the real deal.

They're not under Norv or Schotty, so they could actually do something in the playoffs.  The whole guard in the AFC seems to be changing.

Let's say he is the real deal.  Fantastic.  But the rest of the roster?

Drew Brees was stuck with years of mediocre Saints seasons because the roster was blegh.  He's a Hall of Famer.  Herbert isn't there yet, but his future does look promising.

Packers had back-to-back losing seasons just a few years ago.

The Chargers last season were 3-9, then won the last 4 games.  But one of those was a Week 17 win against the Chiefs who rested all of their starters.  The other 3 wins were against teams without a winning record, and they beat each of them by just 3 points.

Are we so sure that the new Chargers coaches are just that good?

49 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Edit:  I don't even know how many years it's been and I'm still saying San Diego?  Jesus Christ I suck.

Brandon Staley commands a lot of respect.  Far more than Anthony Lynn did.  Maybe it's just hype, but he seems to be the defensive version of Sean McVay.  Their defense could get really good this year, especially if their secondary is back to full health.  And they seem to have a budding star in Herbert, who could end up being what Carson Wentz was becoming before his career completely fell off the tracks.  And I think they majorly improved their OL with the Slater and Linsley additions.

That division is rough though.  The Chiefs are first rate and the Broncos and Raiders are probably going to be better this year.

That week one match up is dangerous for us.  It could set the tone for the season and I kind of wish we weren't playing such a ferocious, head hunting group of defenders.  Bosa will give Cosmi work, and I don't love our relatively fragile skill group running through a bunch of zones occupied by guys like Kenneth Murray, Derwin James, Asante Samuel, and Nas Adderly.  That's probably the most physical secondary in the NFL.  It's not a well oiled machine on offense, and our QBs are still learning timing with the pass catchers and their backfield mates.

Our defense should be better than their offense though.  Their OL got better but it was awful last season and our DL should be able to show out.  And their offensive skill talent is slow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Brandon Staley commands a lot of respect.  Far more than Anthony Lynn did.  Maybe it's just hype, but he seems to be the defensive version of Sean McVay. 

He could be?  But at the same time, McVay was OC for 3 years, and it looks like Staley was only DC for 1 year.  League needed to see McVay 3 times over to be sure he was the real deal.  So either Staley is just that amazing, or people are seeing what they want to see.

Staley had the benefit of working with a strong pass rush and a strong secondary.  I'm not sure the Chargers in 2021 have comparable units to the Rams in 2020.  Bosa is not Donald.  And the other 2020 pass rushers for the Rams seem better than what the other pass rushers for the Chargers currently have.

I get that the Chargers could have a bump in effectiveness, buuut...I see people predicting 12-5 seasons for them and I don't see that type of talent on their team.

I dont see the chargers being that great this year. Especially early. Beluga is injured, as is another starter on their oline. Their starters haven't played yet, in a new scheme. I think they'll have a good defense, but ours is another world better. I'm definitely happy to see them week one, instead of down the road, but I think it would be disappointing to not start our season 2-0. We need to be 4-2 before we hit that buzz saw of playoff teams in the middle, since we'll probably go about 2-4 through that stretch. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Is his answer in response to a question about him missing the McLaurin read?  I can't believe they'd ask him about that.

I think it's good that something like that happened in preseason, because those kinds of mistakes stick with you and help you learn.

Doesn't sound like he was talking about that.  IMO he doesn't need to talk about that play.   They were referring to specific throws where his accuracy was off.

I mentioned this the other day, Darrell Greenie, who I recall we were both friendly with, used to slam posters some when they referred to plays like the Terry one where the QB didn't see them get open.  He would say that happens every game to just about every QB including the great ones and thereby its meaningless if the point is to slam the QB on that point because they all have plays like that.  No one has perfect vision and can always perfectly scan the field on every play.    

I didn't know what he meant until I finally started to rewatch games myself and he was right.  You see it just about every game multiple times. I saw that same Terry play before it hit twitter, I was posting clips of that game earlier that morning on this same thread.  I never posted that clip because to me it was a big yawn.  Greenie was right, happens all the time.    Now if i saw 4 of those plays that would be different.

Sometimes you see reporters refer to plays like that across the league in real time during games they are at, where they go wow if such and such QB looked the other way he would have had a wide open TD.  Again common stuff. 

The key IMO is simply not have a ton of misses like that.   One or two are common.  I slammed Alex once for being too conservative and i did it by showing from what I recall 6 plays like that he missed in the same game.   It wasn't always wide open TDs, but wide open plays which would have had big gains if he looked their way.  

I almost posted the clips of Fitz in that game because it was so striking to see how often he ignored the check down.  He had a back or TE often just wide open in the flat but instead he took chances throwing the ball down the field who weren't as wide open and did so over and over again.   Not that he was going deep like mad but he definitely wasn't just going for the easy compleition on a number of plays. 

Watching Fitz and for that matter Heinicke throw a ton of balls in camp.  My #1 concern about both is actually the same.  Accuracy.  They both (more so Fitz) have an aggressive mindset.  But I recall reading that when Brady practiced years back with the WFT in camp, his balls were so accurate they wouldn't hit the ground.  Definitely not so with either Fitz or Heinicke.  They'd get hot for a spell, and then all of a sudden you see some really wildy errant throws, especially from Heinicke.  Both both did it. 

I wouldn't say either has bad accuracy.  But neither has pinpoint accuracy.   You can see why both players might be streaky because you could see that some in practice for better or worse.  More good than bad but you can see the bad, too.   As for vision and missing receivers, I don't think Heinicke would be an improvement based on what I saw.  He was the QB in practice who would really lock into his target, often stare him down and didn't seem to scan the field.  I commented on it then.  I could also see why he's likely better in games than in practice because when he's chased out of the pocket he does a better job then from what I can tell to scan the field.   

Fitz as some of the players talked about, throws some no-look passes.  His vision seems good and is also good at manipulating defenses with his eyes.  Heinicke not so much from what I saw.  But I love Heinicke's ability to scramble.  He's slippery.  But my point is I doubt we get great QB play from either one.  But I think either could be good.  For Heinicke my main concern remains durability.   I think both guys will bring some roller coaster element to their game. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

7 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He could be?  But at the same time, McVay was OC for 3 years, and it looks like Staley was only DC for 1 year.  League needed to see McVay 3 times over to be sure he was the real deal.  So either Staley is just that amazing, or people are seeing what they want to see.

Staley had the benefit of working with a strong pass rush and a strong secondary.  I'm not sure the Chargers in 2021 have comparable units to the Rams in 2020.  Bosa is not Donald.  And the other 2020 pass rushers for the Rams seem better than what the other pass rushers for the Chargers currently have.

I get that the Chargers could have a bump in effectiveness, buuut...I see people predicting 12-5 seasons for them and I don't see that type of talent on their team.

They could lose five games in their division alone.

Staley might be special though.  From what I've read about him, he was one of the few truly innovative schemers and play callers on the defensive side of the ball.  That Rams defense is ultra top heavy and wasn't particularly talented outside of the really good DT and CB they have.  By rights, it shouldn't have been nearly as good as they were last season.  Staley schemes them into excellence and got e big as like Leonard Floyd and Michael Brockers performing at the best levels of their careers, and Darious Williams playing like a fringe All Pro.  The way I understand it, Staley ran a scheme that was a true outlier in the way it ran coverages.  It was uniquely reliant on having a player of Donald's caliber in order to still stop the run.  But it speaks to his innovativeness that he could draw something special up that gave his team a scheme advantage by fully exploring the talent of his personnel.

I think he's got better overall talent on his D with the Chargers than he did with the Rams.  I think that secondary could blow up this year.  But I don't expect the offense to be that great yet.  The skill talent is big but not threatening and the OL is still being built, and I don't expect Herbert to be an MVP caliber player yet.

• Like 5

listening to a Cowboy reporter, brimming with confidence though I'll give him that he does it with a nice southern charm style delivery

A.  Dak is fine he goes.  Downplays any injury concerns.  Looks like he always did.

B. Main weaknesses is just backups at QB and O line

C.  Defense will be night and day better.  Gregory looks like a new man, Neal is a big acquistion and looks good.  M. Parsons looks like a potential star and will make a world of difference.  Quinn runs a tighter ship than Nolan and the defense looks totally better.  He said worse case if they end up just average that should be enough.

D.  E. Elliot.  Leaner and meaner.  Looks like his old self.

He said Dak is the best QB in the division so he suggests enough said as for who will win the division.  And goes on that WFT won the division by just one game last year.   Then I'll give him he tempers his comments down by saying will see once the season starts.

That's the 2nd Cowboy report I've listend to that came off arrogant about the team.  But maybe it was the same guy twice?  I didn't take note of who sang their praises last time. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

listening to a Cowboy reporter, brimming with confidence though I'll give him that he does it with a nice southern charm style delivery

A.  Dak is fine he goes.  Downplays any injury concerns.  Looks like he always did.

C.  Defense will be night and day better.  Gregory looks like a new man, Neal is a big acquistion and looks good.  M. Parsons looks like a potential star and will make a world of difference.  Quinn runs a tighter ship than Nolan and the defense looks totally better.  He said worse case if they end up just average that should be enough.

He said Dak is the best QB in the division so he suggests enough said as for who will win the division.  And goes on that WFT won the division by just one game last year.   Then I'll give him he tempers his comments down by saying will see once the season starts.

That's the 2nd Cowboy report I've listend to that came off arrogant about the team.  But maybe it was the same guy twice?  I didn't take note of who sang their praises last time. 

Their DTs are god awful.  

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Patriots traded Sony Michel to the Rams for a fifth and sixth rounder.  We could have matched that offer.  This is where being overly committed to McKissic and Barber hurts.

We don't have a 5th rounder.  I would have liked Michel, but that's a steep price for a soon-to-be FA RB.  Maybe a better RB gets cut soon?  RB is the one position that you can find a guy off the street.

Edited by mhd24

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

We don't have a 5th rounder.  I would have liked Michel, but that's a steep price for a FA RB.  Maybe a better RB gets cut soon?  RB is the one position that you can find a guy off the street.

I think they are conditional picks, but I didn't see the full details in the article.

It feels cheap to me for getting a quality starting caliber back in his prime, provided you are able to sign him to an extension.  I would have loved to have a one-two punch of him and Gibson.

As is, the Patriots are still overloaded at RB.  I wonder if they are looking to deal anyone else?

• Like 1

I understand the hype for the Chargers. Anthony Lynn was HORRIBLE at game management, but they were often within striking distance of a fair number of teams, including good ones iirc. If Justin Herbert doesn't have a heavy sophomore slump and Staley proves to be sharper than a bag of rocks, this year's floor should be "within striking distance of a fair number of teams, including good ones."

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don’t give Cowboy fans any credit or passes.  They are bullish on the team every year no matter what.  It’s arrogant and idiotic.

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 9.26.29 AM.png

The compensation on that trade

Now the Curtis Samuel thing is bothering me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Let's say he is the real deal.  Fantastic.  But the rest of the roster?

Drew Brees was stuck with years of mediocre Saints seasons because the roster was blegh.  He's a Hall of Famer.  Herbert isn't there yet, but his future does look promising.

Packers had back-to-back losing seasons just a few years ago.

The Chargers last season were 3-9, then won the last 4 games.  But one of those was a Week 17 win against the Chiefs who rested all of their starters.  The other 3 wins were against teams without a winning record, and they beat each of them by just 3 points.

Are we so sure that the new Chargers coaches are just that good?

Forgive me, I didn't mean to present with any expertise on the matter.  This is normal not-even-a-Madden-player speculation.  Just a feeling that he's pretty damn awesome and that things are on the upswing for them.

Sucks that we can get a high pick over and over and never get to the point where we get THAT guy.

• Like 1