Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

I said earlier today that I wondered if it was Keim who said he hears Barber likely makes it and went on for Patterson to make it (which is possible) it would be as a 4th back.  And Patterson needs to work on pass protection.  It actually indeed was Keim, I am hearing him talk about it now on a Richmond radio station which is rebroadcasting one of his podcasts. 

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with that fan below as for Barber.  I don't get it.   Barber struggles to even pull off a 3 YPA.   But judging by what some who have covered this team have said, Barber makes the team.  But Patterson has a shot too.  Good sign he's working today with the 2's.  

Your backup RBs MUST play special teams.  JD is too small to do it.  Gibson won't play teams because he's the starter.  That leaves Barber.  Patterson, IMO, is too small to play teams.

Just now, mhd24 said:

Your backup RBs MUST play special teams.  JD is too small to do it.  Gibson won't play teams because he's the starter.  That leaves Barber.  Patterson, IMO, is too small to play teams.

they are supposedly looking to work him as a returner, that's special teams

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

So let’s see…

Our first round LB has been terrible so far, our QBs aren’t performing well…

Almost like I was right this whole time and we should have traded up for Fields.

Fitzpatrick hasn’t been terrible, he’s had a good training camp (and threw a TD in today’s practice) and heinicke looked good in the first preseason game.  

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Fitzpatrick hasn’t been terrible, he’s had a good training camp (and threw a TD in today’s practice) and heinicke looked good in the first preseason game.  

I disagree with that second part especially but regardless we should have traded up for a QB. You don’t take a raw ILB when high impact players are available.

Just now, JoggingGod said:

I disagree with that second part especially but regardless we should have traded up for a QB. You don’t take a raw ILB when high impact players are available.

Weren’t you one of the guys on me about Fields? I’d go look but the search system stinks here.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Patterson isn’t a scat back.

I agree.  I’ve said all along that he’s the one I’d give the bulk of carries to if Gibson were out (if he makes the team - I think he does - and someone like Williams doesn’t beat him out for this role).  With that said, how limiting is it if he can’t help in pass pro?

Edit:  I’m a little sad to see Harmon go, but they’re doing him a solid.  Kind of crazy how much talent we’ve added at receiver.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Patterson is not too small to play teams. That is absolutely ridiculous.

He’s 5-8 ~200lbs.

Reaves is 5-11 200.

MCain is 5-9 ~200.

Cole Luke 5-11 ~200.

Danny Johnson is 5-9 190

Forrest is 5-11 200.

Everett is 6-0 ~205.

Curl is 6-2 200.

Apke is 6-1 205.

This is perceptional bias. Just like people saying he’s a scat back. He’s not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a big Barber guy and I like Patterson so I'd love to see Patterson beat him.  But if its a 4 back rotation and Barber is back that's fine.

I don't see Patterson as a #1 RB type.  But I think he brings something different to the table.  Change of pace.  He's not fast but he's super quick and makes real quick cuts.  I don't love him.  I was calling for other backs in the draft ahead of him.  But I like him.  Once we got to the 7th round, I thought he was really good value and said so on that days draft thread. 

Barber is the only guy who can effectively run when QB is under enter. All others prefer a shotgun handoff based off last year. Patterson is in the same mold of being shotgun runner.

Gibson didn’t have a clue when running under center last year. No coincidence most of his work was under center in the first pre season game. Obviously not crazy to speculate he can grow and improve, but not easy to project based off  his output under center last year. 

Barber has position flex which provides increased depth. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I agree.  I’ve said all along that he’s the one I’d give the bulk of carries to if Gibson were out (if he makes the team - I think he does - and someone like Williams doesn’t beat him out for this role).  With that said, how limiting is it if he can’t help in pass pro?

Edit:  I’m a little sad to see Harmon go, but they’re doing him a solid.  Kind of crazy how much talent we’ve added at receiver.

He can learn how to pass protect. UB didn’t ask him to. I bet he becomes good at it.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:36 PM, terpfan said:

RB (4): Gibson, McKissic, Barber, Patterson

Just missed: --

WR (6): McLaurin, Samuel, Humphries, Brown, C. Sims, S. Sims Jr

Just missed: Carter, Milne, Harmon, Gandy-Golden

TE (3): Thomas, Bates, Reyes

Just missed: Seals-Jones, Hemmingway

Now, I'm not calling for it or saying it's probable, but if they cut Barber and keep Patterson as RB3, it won't shock me.  I know they like and are comfortable with Barber and the likelihood is it's the same 3 and JP to the PS. 

I think Sims Jr is done.  Which, more than anything creates a hole at PR. I dont think you want Humphries back there doing it.  I think it's Carter's job to lose as the PR/WR guy. The interesting thing is who's not active on game day.  I guess, in my scenario, it has to be Cam Sims if they only dress 5.  And with all the versatility on offense, it might be 4 in a given week based on needs elsewhere.  Maybe some weeks, Humphries is forced to do it.

I think there's 0.00% chance Reyes is anything but a PS guy.  I can't see them using an active roster spot on him since I also can't see them putting him out there in a real game.  I think people are understating the "rawness".  He should not see the field at all this year, get a full year of practice at this level under his belt, come back next year and maybe challenge for a spot.

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I am one of the bigger Patterson fans here.  I commented on him before we took him.  And I watched everything I could find him on him.  So my amateur 2 cents on him....

To me because of his size in particular I see him as a change of pace running back, not a lead dog.  If he bulks up some and improves at pass protection, I'd change my mind.  I love him as a change of pace back.  And if he ends up like Rivera has said a Darren Sproles type of player, then Patterson was a killer find.

In pass protection against inferior competition I recall on some plays he got blown up where you can see his size being a detriment.  But I love his vision and cutting ability.  He's a handful for opposing defenses.  

Patterson measured 5-foot-6 4/8 inches, 195 pounds with 9 1/4 inch hands, 28 3/4 inch arms and a 4.52 second 40-yard dash.Apr 2, 2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Should have traded up for Fields” is so funny to me. Like OK, with who? For what? It’s not just a button you hit and it happens. For starters, we would have had to go up to at least pick 9, from 19. There’s no way the NFC East teams picking 10-12 were gift wrapping us a starting QB. So now we’re assuming the Broncos were interested in trading, which may or may not even have been true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

He can learn how to pass protect. UB didn’t ask him to. I bet he becomes good at it.

That’s fair enough.  I guess I’m wondering, if Gibson were to go down and Patterson hasn’t shown he can (adequately) pass protect as of that point, do you still bump him to primary back?  Actually, my original question is more apt - at that point, does he limit your offense?

Broader question I’ve been meaning to ask you - given our run D issues last year, is running more man coverage wise?  I can see using it situationally, but if that becomes our primary coverage, doesn’t it reduce the ability for dbs to help vs the run?

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I have not seen many modern RBs with his weight of 195 do that and survive. It is not realistic to expect him to go week in and week out and get a Gibson amount of carries and come out OK.

The ones that try predictably break down, see one Austin Ekeler

Small backs can't take that level of punishment. The ceiling for season carries for backs this small is right around the McK/Ekeler range, a far cry from Gibson level carries.

I don't care who it is, asking a 195 lb back to bellcow in the modern NFL is asking him to prematurely sign up for the injury list.

Unless he puts on some weight, Patterson is no more of an option for extended carries over a period of time outside of an injury emergency than Mck is.

15 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Barber is the only guy who can effectively run when QB is under enter. All others prefer a shotgun handoff based off last year. Patterson is in the same mold of being shotgun runner.

Gibson didn’t have a clue when running under center last year. No coincidence most of his work was under center in the first pre season game. Obviously not crazy to speculate he can grow and improve, but not easy to project based off  his output under center last year. 

Barber has position flex which provides increased depth. 

My issue with Barber is i don't think he has that much position flex.  His thing seems to be short yardage and he doesn't have the explosiveness to be the guy if Gibson goes down IMO.  Having said that, some beat guys have said he's slimmed down this off season and looks more explosive.  So maybe that will change. 

I don't care enough to get into a deep dive about Barber.  If he makes the team as most who cover the team suspect, cool.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Patterson is not too small to play teams. That is absolutely ridiculous.

He’s 5-8 ~200lbs.

Reaves is 5-11 200.

MCain is 5-9 ~200.

Cole Luke 5-11 ~200.

Danny Johnson is 5-9 190

Forrest is 5-11 200.

Everett is 6-0 ~205.

Curl is 6-2 200.

Apke is 6-1 205.

This is perceptional bias. Just like people saying he’s a scat back. He’s not.

I guess it requires one to define what a scat back is. From a size standpoint I speculate he’s in the bottom 5-10% of RBs in the league. Doesn’t quite look 200 pounds either. Size isn’t just weight (as you know), his small stature limits him from those other taller/longer guys. Not saying he can’t overcome that, many have. 

I hear you though he runs hard and seems to have some sneaky power. 

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

guess I’m wondering, if Gibson were to go down and Patterson hasn’t shown he can (adequately) pass protect as of that point, do you still bump him to primary back? 

It wasn't addressed to me but can't help kicking in. 😀   At some point, I'll rewatch Patterson but from what I recall, there were a couple of plays where he was just bulldozed.  Add that with Keim's comment about how they value pass protection and want to see him gain experience on that front -- makes me think he's got some work to do on that front.  But he clearly has a good work ethic and will to be great -- that should help.  Some say that pass protection is partly about attitude.  And he seems to have the right attitude. 

Heinicke's 5th pick today?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3