Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

I think Terry has a shot to make the top 10 next season.  His numbers were insane  until he faded big time at the end of the season after the two ankle injuries.

Ranking the NFL's top 10 wide receivers for 2021: Execs, coaches, players make their picks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31739496/ranking-nfl-top-10-wide-receivers-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks

Honorable mention

Calvin Ridley, Atlanta Falcons: "His ability to drop his weight at full speed and turn his hips is elite." -- AFC offensive coach

Allen Robinson II, Chicago Bears: "Him and Diggs are probably the best route runners. I've seen Robinson with bad QB play put up ridiculous numbers. Release off the ball ridiculous, radius terrific, knowledge second to none." -- NFL veteran offensive player

Odell Beckham Jr., Cleveland Browns: "With all the injuries and the production [decline] it's a concern. Not sure there's anyone better if he's healthy and in his prime. Play in and play out, not sure you can line him up and he can dominate a game anymore." -- AFC scout

Justin Jefferson, Minnesota Vikings: "He has almost like a Eurostep where he can Gumby his way into routes." -- AFC scout

Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams: "He's 'teach tape.' Does everything well." -- AFC offensive coach

Chris Godwin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: "He didn't have as big of a year but [he's] incredibly tough, played through pain on that hand injury and still produced in big moments." -- NFC defensive coach

Adam Thielen, Minnesota Vikings: "Savvy technique, route running, counter moves, toughness, he's still so good. And he has a knack for making plays in the end zone." -- AFC offensive coach

Terry McLaurin, Washington Football Team: "Speed and intangibles make him a top-10 receiver." -- AFC offensive coach

Jarvis Landry, Cleveland Browns: "One of the toughest players in football. And he's an underrated route runner." -- AFC exec

Scherff the third best guard in the league according to ESPN asking coaches-executives on the topic.  Sounds right to me.  The only first team All Pro player thus far in Dan's reign aside from a punter.  Sounds right to me, too.  But I think we will have more All Pros this coming season.

Yet, I'd be cool with letting Scherff go in FA if some team offers him an insane contract.  I am not paying a guard over 30 years old with a history of injuries, a multi year 18 million a season contract. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Scherff the third best guard in the league according to ESPN asking coaches-executives on the topic.  Sounds right to me.  The only first team All Pro player thus far in Dan's reign aside from a punter.  Sounds right to me, too.  But I think we will have more All Pros this coming season.

Yet, I'd be cool with letting Scherff go in FA if some team offers him an insane contract.  I am not paying a guard over 30 years old with a history of injuries, a multi year 18 million a season contract. 

If it's true that we offered to make Scherff the highest paid Guard in the NFL, I'm wondering if his play here is to wait and see how much the cap increases for 2022 and see how much more he can get, and then come back to the table. That or he wanted a ton of guaranteed money that we weren't willing to offer.

But I think the cap thing could be legit also. IIRC that potential cap increase for 2022 was reportedly one of the reasons so many FAs this year were looking for 1 year contracts. So they could then possibly cash in big time on the cap increase.

If that's the case I also wouldn't be surprised if Allen tries the same thing.

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If it's true that we offered to make Scherff the highest paid Guard in the NFL, I'm wondering if his play here is to wait and see how much the cap increases for 2022 and see how much more he can get, and then come back to the table. That or he wanted a ton of guaranteed money that we weren't willing to offer.

But I think the cap thing could be legit also. IIRC that potential cap increase for 2022 was reportedly one of the reasons so many FAs this year were looking for 1 year contracts. So they could then possibly cash in big time on the cap increase.

If that's the case I also wouldn't be surprised if Allen tries the same thing.

Agree.  They supposedly offered him a big contract (if I recall Keim said so and others) as for year salary more than any guard in the league.  So why did he turn it down?  My guess is one of these reasons

A.  They want to see if the cap skyrockets in 2022

B.  There often is some cap rich team (see Jets) who at times are willing to overpay a player to get their man.  So why not play that out?

C.  Even though they offered him the most per season than any guard maybe they still went under the tag number. Lets say 17 million?  Some agents insist teams meet the tag number

D.  There wasn't a lot of guaranteed money in the offer or not as much as they like.  In Scherff's case, this would be a key want considering his injury history.

Personally, I do think Scherff is taking some risk.  I didn't feel the same way with Kirk.  Scherff plays a brutal position and he has the tendency to get hurt.  If he ends up missing half the season or something like that then good luck at 30 getting some monster contract. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

$18 million plus a year for a guard is ridiculous. I’m all about keeping home grown talent but c’mon is Schreff a dominant player who impacts the outcome of a game?

IMHO all you need is a big wide body who can run a bit so he can pull out to play guard. Save the dough for our defensive line!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  They supposedly offered him a big contract (if I recall Keim said so and others) as for year salary more than any guard in the league.  So why did he turn it down?  My guess is one of these reasons

A.  They want to see if the cap skyrockets in 2022

B.  There often is some cap rich team (see Jets) who at times are willing to overpay a player to get their man.  So why not play that out?

C.  Even though they offered him the most per season than any guard maybe they still went under the tag number. Lets say 17 million?  Some agents insist teams meet the tag number

D.  There wasn't a lot of guaranteed money in the offer or not as much as they like.  In Scherff's case, this would be a key want considering his injury history.

Personally, I do think Scherff is taking some risk.  I didn't feel the same way with Kirk.  Scherff plays a brutal position and he has the tendency to get hurt.  If he ends up missing half the season or something like that then good luck at 30 getting some monster contract. 

Interesting point about still being under the tag number. I hadn't thought about that one, but it makes sense.

Agree that any of those could be possibilities. I'm a bit more on the "cap increase" side of things mostly because we've heard the reporting that the two sides really haven't even been talking much and there's not much movement. That would tend to indicate to me that Scherff and his side already had their minds made up well ahead of time so there wasn't much to discuss. That would definitely be the case if they decided a while back that they'd wait for the 2022 cap increase before even coming to the table.

Also definitely agree that it's a risky move for Scherff. If he were 25 years old with no injury issues that would be one thing, but he'll be 30 years old for 2022 and has a pretty extensive injury history. If he stays healthy and stays at an All-Pro level of play then he'll get a huge payday from someone. But if he gets injured again that could completely derail his chances of cashing in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Interesting point about still being under the tag number. I hadn't thought about that one, but it makes sense.

Agree that any of those could be possibilities. I'm a bit more on the "cap increase" side of things mostly because we've heard the reporting that the two sides really haven't even been talking much and there's not much movement. That would tend to indicate to me that Scherff and his side already had their minds made up well ahead of time so there wasn't much to discuss. That would definitely be the case if they decided a while back that they'd wait for the 2022 cap increase before even coming to the table.

Also definitely agree that it's a risky move for Scherff. If he were 25 years old with no injury issues that would be one thing, but he'll be 30 years old for 2022 and has a pretty extensive injury history. If he stays healthy and stays at an All-Pro level of play then he'll get a huge payday from someone. But if he gets injured again that could completely derail his chances of cashing in.

Yeah I think he's taking an interesting bet.

I also think its relevant that Hurney admitted his big mistake in Carolina was being over the top as far as rewarding his own too much with big contracts.  Obviously you got to pick and choose.  Like you aren't bringing back perhaps both Jonathan Allen and Scherff so pick one, etc.  If you go for both then it kills you later when you want to bring back Sweat or whomever. 

In the context of this team, as fans, some of us tend to favor paying the big money for whomever.  But heck you don't always get rewarded for it.  I recall Gettleman was considered a clown by some here in part from us supposedly reaping the benefits of his cheapness by him not willing to give big time contracts to Josh Norman and Landon Collins.  To some we looked like the winners and Gettleman's team the losers in that exchange.  But overall now, do the Giants now look like fools for not matching the big contract the WFT gave Collins?  Or Carolina with Norman?  I think at some point, this team would have killed to take the Carolina and NY stances on those contracts as for cap savings, etc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah while I'm definitely a fan of trying to keep talent in-house if possible, it also has to make long term cap sense, otherwise you cripple yourself if you try to pay everyone with huge contracts. If you have multiple good players at some point you're almost certainly going to have to make a couple of tough choices. Especially if they're all also high pedigree 1st rounders (such as our DL).

I know as fans we all hate to see players we like go, but unfortunately it's just the nature of the business a lot of times. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I could be wrong, but I think Roullier is a particularly good run blocker.  He and Scherff are a dynamic inside tandem for the run game, and they are very reliable block winners.  The problem with our run game is a combo of scheme/play calling and a thin running back room.  Setting the coaching issues aside--and they were certainly a factor last season--talent is still a big limitation.  Gibson is our only above replacement level RB and he's not built to be a workhorse.  He's got dodgy vision/anticipation and he's never carried a run game for a season in his football career, especially not anything close to a 17 game NFL season (plus hopefully playoffs).  McKissick and Barber are JAGs.  Replacement level players with zero dynamism.  The only plus trait McKissick has are his hands, and neither he nor Barber are capable of beating even slower LBers to the edge without successful misdirection, nor will they be getting more yards than what's blocked for them.

IMO we are going to skew super pass happy this season and we're going to need our receivers to be dynamic in order to get around our lack of balance.  Going super pass happy with average personnel is not a recipe for a ton of success.  I think we're going to try and use a horizontal passing game and a lot of receiver runs to substitute for a normal run game.  Roullier and Scherff are going to have to kill it in the run game so that we get those easy and reliable reads for Gibson in order to get chunk yardage on early downs.  I'm also hoping Cosmi gets on the field at RT and does well in the run game--at least as good as Moses but hopefully better--and that Thomas is a more reliable blocker this year.  Bates could be.  Then hopefully between Schweitzer, Charles, and Flowers one of those guys will take hold of the LG spot and shine.  That's potentially a pretty good line.  Hopefully good enough for us to be efficient and stay in front of the chains and resist the urge to give up on the run game, which will be in our nature.

I believe Ron will assist in it not becoming too pass happy. Turner doesn’t have full autonomy over how the offense is going to operate from a philosophical standpoint. This is where the coach centric model can be a positive, overseeing and having the power to do what’s right for that current version of the team. No competing agendas or people fighting for “their guys” to do this or that.

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah while I'm definitely a fan of trying to keep talent in-house if possible, it also has to make long term cap sense, otherwise you cripple yourself if you try to pay everyone with huge contracts. If you have multiple good players at some point you're almost certainly going to have to make a couple of tough choices. Especially if they're all also high pedigree 1st rounders (such as our DL).

I know as fans we all hate to see players we like go, but unfortunately it's just the nature of the business a lot of times. 

It appears Ron and company have chosen to pay a premium for an elite talent while hoping to develop guys behind Scherff (Schweitzer, Martin, Charles). If Charles proves to be an above average G at a fraction of the cost, then you have to consider going that direction. Not saying this will happen, but that would be ideal. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It appears Ron and company have chosen to pay a premium for an elite talent while hoping to develop guys behind Scherff (Schweitzer, Martin, Charles). If Charles proves to be an above average G at a fraction of the cost, then you have to consider going that direction. Not saying this will happen, but that would be ideal. 

I think this could be a pretty realistic scenario.

At that point it's a question about ratio of drop-off in talent to amount of contract. If you have an 85 graded player who wants $19 million per year and a 75 graded player who you can have for 1/3 of the cost then it might be a better long term option to roll with the 2nd guy.

Of course that's also somewhat position dependent and is assuming you're not talking about a ultra elite talent like an Aaron Donald who literally changes entire game plans just by being on the field and breathing air. And the guy who we have who could potentially end up at that level won't be due for a new deal until 2024 at the earliest.

Though it does sound from the reports like WFT were willing to make Scherff the highest paid Guard in the NFL, but the offer was rejected. So who knows what's really going on behind the scenes.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I think he's taking an interesting bet.

I also think its relevant that Hurney admitted his big mistake in Carolina was being over the top as far as rewarding his own too much with big contracts.  Obviously you got to pick and choose.  Like you aren't bringing back perhaps both Jonathan Allen and Scherff so pick one, etc.  If you go for both then it kills you later when you want to bring back Sweat or whomever. 

In the context of this team, as fans, some of us tend to favor paying the big money for whomever.  But heck you don't always get rewarded for it.  I recall Gettleman was considered a clown by some here in part from us supposedly reaping the benefits of his cheapness by him not willing to give big time contracts to Josh Norman and Landon Collins.  To some we looked like the winners and Gettleman's team the losers in that exchange.  But overall now, do the Giants now look like fools for not matching the big contract the WFT gave Collins?  Or Carolina with Norman?  I think at some point, this team would have killed to take the Carolina and NY stances on those contracts as for cap savings, etc. 

Not quite, we immediately were labeled fools for overpaying Collins. And the Panthers fools for letting Norman walk.  Remember Julio had the 300 yard game against them next season.

It's kind of a two different situations though.  Norman was a premium position.  Whereas Collins wasn't, and his play had been declining slowly for the previous two years.

On the flip side, Gettleman might have seriously overpaid for all of the free agents he brought in this off-season.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think this could be a pretty realistic scenario.

At that point it's a question about ratio of drop-off in talent to amount of contract. If you have an 85 graded player who wants $19 million per year and a 75 graded player who you can have for 1/3 of the cost then it might be a better long term option to roll with the 2nd guy.

Of course that's also somewhat position dependent and is assuming you're not talking about a ultra elite talent like an Aaron Donald who literally changes entire game plans just by being on the field and breathing air. And the guy who we have who could potentially end up at that level won't be due for a new deal until 2024 at the earliest.

Though it does sound from the reports like WFT were willing to make Scherff the highest paid Guard in the NFL, but the offer was rejected. So who knows what's really going on behind the scenes.

In Charle’s case it would be 1/17th the cost for 2 years after this season. 

No doubt on there being special circumstances for certain players at various positions.

Or… If Washington didn’t have Chase Young or Sweat, I might get with the idea of going all in on Scherff and building an elite O line with the young talent coming in. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not quite, we immediately were labeled fools for overpaying Collins. And the Panthers fools for letting Norman walk.  Remember Julio had the 300 yard game against them next season.

It's kind of a two different situations though.  Norman was a premium position.  Whereas Collins wasn't, and his play had been declining slowly for the previous two years.

On the flip side, Gettleman might have seriously overpaid for all of the free agents he brought in this off-season.

I am talking about fans, some people here (not all), not the media.  And the media wasn't all negative about the Collins signing.    And I am not calling anyone out.  I get the sentiment.  I tend to like the bigger name signings in real time.  I am just saying over time (of late) I've become more cynical about them. 

As for Gettleman my point in the soup was he was criticized by some (didn't say all) for letting Collins go and Norman go.  Maybe Gettleman overpayed (screwed up) with all his FA signings this year as you say.  Will see.  He did well last year with FA: B. Martinez and Bradberry and Logan Ryan.  Maybe he will bomb with Adoree Jackson, Golladay, Ryan Anderson, etc.  Will see.  I hope so. 

I don't think Gettleman is a good GM but I think some overplay that he's like Bruce Allen/Cerrato level bad.  To me he's "meh".  Some good.  Some bad.  But IMO he's no train wreck. The worst thing about him are his press conferences.    The worst move he made IMO is taking Barkley with the #2 pick.   I didn't like the Daniel Jones pick but I'll give him a slight pass for it because he was mostly made fun of it because he preferred him over Haskins.  I do think Jones is the better QB right now.  But neither I think is the answer.   He had some other bad picks too but who hasn't?  His screw ups have been on the O line.  And heck plenty of us (me included) liked A. Thomas before the draft and Will Hernandez.  But right now those picks aren't looking hot albeit Thomas played better late in the season.

But some good stuff among the bad.  His Beckham trade right now looks good especially stacked against what some other teams got for their WRs in trades.  His Leonard Williams trade  looks good.  They had a crap defense before last season -- now its good thanks to their FA crops, trades and drafts.  Letting Collins go and Norman go look good.  

I know I debated last year (if I recall it was you?) about the Giants where some aren't impressed with their roster.  I am not blown away by their roster either.  But I do think its competitive with our roster.  I felt that way last year.  I feel that way now, too.   And I'll enjoy making fun of them when we can actually beat them for a change.  Is there a team that has just owned us like that team has in recent years?  It's a weird thing.  There was a stretch years back where they had a ridiculous dominance over this team as well.   I don't get it but I won't make fun of them until we beat them.  😧

https://www.nfl.com/news/landon-collins-signs-6-year-84m-deal-with-redskins-0ap3000001021945

The New York Giants will see their former starting strong safety twice a year.

The Washington Redskins signed Landon Collins to a six-year deal worth $84 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, via a source informed of the situation. The deal involves a $15 million signing bonus in 2019, a $6 million option in 2020 and $32 million guaranteed over the first two years, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported. Garafolo added that he has $12.5 million in 2021 that's guaranteed for injury only.

Collins, 25, was widely regarded as one of the top safeties eligible to enter the open market, and was ranked No. 5 on NFL.com's Top 101 free agents of 2019.

Since entering the league out of Alabama as a second-round pick with the Giants, his production over the past four seasons certainly warranted the high ranking.

The 6-foot, 222-pound Collins is the only player in the NFL with at least 400 tackles and 30 passes defensed since 2015, and he is the only safety in the NFL to notch at least 95 tackles in each of the last four seasons.

With free safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix set for free agency, the addition of Collins, a 2016 first-team All-Pro selection and three-time Pro Bowler, should ease some transition if the Redskins can't bring back Clinton-Dix. Collins is a strong safety, of course, but his presence should immediately help the unit improve from last year's 17th overall ranking.

The news of his agreement was met with approval from one of his future teammates in the defensive secondary, albeit with a not-so-subtle jab at Giants general manager Dave Gettleman.

This is my main take too about Chase as for the tweet below.   We all read and hear a lot about players and what makes them tick.  I am not saying we know things perfectly but sometimes you keep hearing things again and again and again and it paints a clear picture.  

Lets take Derwin James or M. Fitzpatrick, two players I loved before that draft.  Part of that was the narrative about them.  Their were described as obsessive workaholics -- determined to be great.   Some of the players that are hyped here from time to time -- part of me not being as enthusiastic is that I don't get the vibe that some of those same players have that obsessive determination to be great.   

I might not be as into Heinicke as some but overall I am positive about him.  One thing about him that makes me think he has a chance is his work ethic.  Heinicke himself said when asked why Chase was so enthusiastic about him said that it might be because Chase would see him in the locker room constantly studying. 

Bringing this to Chase.   I agree with the point below.  I think he's the most talented and also has the biggest burning desire among our players on the D line and that's part of the reason why I think he ends up the dude on that D line who ends up elite. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is my main take too about Chase as for the tweet below.   We all read and hear a lot about players and what makes them tick.  I am not saying we know things perfectly but sometimes you keep hearing things again and again and again and it paints a clear picture.  

Lets take Derwin James or M. Fitzpatrick, two players I loved before that part.  Part of that was the narrative about them.  Their were described as obsessive workaholics -- determined to be great.   Some of the players that are hyped here from time to time -- part of me not being as enthusiastic is that I don't get the vibe that some of those same players have that obsessive determination to be great.   

I might not be as into Heinicke as some but overall I am positive about him.  One thing about him that makes me think he has a chance is his work ethic.  Heinicke himself said when asked why Chase was so enthusiastic about him said that it might be because Chase would see him in the locker room constantly studying. 

Bringing this to Chase.   I agree with the point below.  I think he's the most talented and also has the biggest burning desire among our players on the D line and that's part of the reason why I think he ends up the dude on that D line who ends up elite. 

Many like to point to the Bucs game as a reason to discredit him on some level. I’d then ask those to look at Aaron Donald’s numbers against the Packers in the playoffs and how the vaunted defense of the Rams performed. Donald had zero stats and they got it handed to them on defense.

Just saying, it happens and will happen in the future. 

Let’s go Chase!

Edited by wit33
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Many like to point to the Bucs game as a reason to discredit him on some level. I’d then ask those to look Aaron Donald’s numbers against the Packers in the playoffs and how the vaunted defense of the Rams performed. Donald had zero stats and they got it handed to them on defense.

Just saying, it happens and will happen in the future. 

Let’s go Chase!

Yeah I don't expect any player to be great every game.  Sheehan likes Young but seems to also love to hammer him on the Tampa game.  For me, I give him a pass.   

Cooley for me says it best when he talks about if he were a GM, even as an X and O's guy, he puts a lot of stock in what players love football and have the desire to excel.  And those are the players he'd want to draft.  Young to me is a 10 out of 10 on that front.  

Part of the reason why I am a big Terry guy is he also to me is a 10 out of 10 on that front.  It's not just about having ability but also having the desire to be great. 

You could see it IMO on the NFL film shows where they showcase some players who talk about their craft.  When you hear how deep some go as far as learning and mastering the nuances of the game -- it's not shocking to me why they've excelled.

So I try to pay attention to that quality among our players.   Granted some of that involves guessing and extrapolating. For example I wasn't as big of a fan of Logan Thomas until recently when I listened to an interview where he came off so erudite and detailed about the spot, I was impressed.  Then he went to the TEs camp run by Kelce and some others a few weeks back.    It all gave me a vibe that Logan wants to be great and will put in the time to do it. 

For lack of a better analogy, some dudes just have that Rocky 3 Eye of the Tiger😀 determination.  And I don't mean it from an extreme point of view where some players have through the roof desire and others are just flat.  I think some are just average on that front -- they don't hit me lazy but also don't hit me as the extra mile type.

Chase to me comes off like an extra mile guy on steroids.  I'd put money that he ends up the best player we've had under Dan's reign.   I'd add that Rivera seems to stress this quality among others.  Over the years, I've listened and read to every interview i can as to the players the WFT drafted.  I can't recall a group like this one where every player but one (and its not that the one player came off poorly on it but he didn't stand out either from my observation) came off with super high intangibles.  Coaches love them, they work hard, leadership skills, etc.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It might have to be for the team to be competitive.  The best (and at times only) solution to playing a great QB is making him extremely uncomfortable.  

And we play a lot of great QBs this year.  If we're going to win some of those games, we're going to have to pressure the QB so they are, at the very least, sped up.  If you let any of them just sit back there and survey the field, they're going to kill you.

The key to staying competitive with some really good QBs this year is going to be the D-line, or at least the pass rush in general.  So, at least it's good that our strength lines up with what we need, I guess.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It might have to be for the team to be competitive.  The best (and at times only) solution to playing a great QB is making him extremely uncomfortable.  

And we play a lot of great QBs this year.  If we're going to win some of those games, we're going to have to pressure the QB so they are, at the very least, sped up.  If you let any of them just sit back there and survey the field, they're going to kill you.

The key to staying competitive with some really good QBs this year is going to be the D-line, or at least the pass rush in general.  So, at least it's good that our strength lines up with what we need, I guess.  

On top of that, if St. Juste (or one of the other CB's on the roster) can be as good as Fabian Moreau then we upgraded at CB as well.  If he's better than Fabian, then all the better.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

On top of that, if St. Juste (or one of the other CB's on the roster) can be as good as Fabian Moreau then we upgraded at CB as well.  If he's better than Fabian, then all the better.

I think he will be better than Fabian and I liked Fabian in the role he had here.  Juste has that size and flex position as a DB.

If I had to criticize one thing about the off season is the Giants and Eagles added nice 2022 capital.  We added nothing and even lost a little.   Granted the Giants and Eagles had a better draft position and some luck to help facilitate that.  Roseman has his faults but he's good at adding draft capital to go get a QB or whatever. 

• Sad 3