Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Dax Milne, WR BYU

zCommander

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Can't believe we may have gone from 1 viable WR to a stacked room.

Yeah I think they really turned around WR and O line this off season.  Tough to fix every weakness on a roster in one off season and arguably its impossible not to have a weakness in any season.  The one spot that hits me glaring is FS.  But I think it was Keim or maybe Finlay who said he was told wait until our first open practice and you'll see the plan at FS.  To me feels like the hint is a either a corner plays FS, like Fuller or more likely we see Curl play there.  If they sign McCain maybe that shuts that down. 

• Like 2

Seems to me that a lot pf people tend to give the QB credit when often his receivers making the catch are where his stats come from. Jones @ Alabama definitely benefitted from his stable of WRs for example. Doggin on Milne overlooks his actual production, all receptions not being equal. Gimme a kid making those tough critical catches over the middle to keep a drive alive, I'm happy with it no matter what his season stats end up being. Making a block downfield to spring your speed for a score? Might not show on the scoreboard but that sure as hell gets noticed by coaches. 

Looking forward to camps this year, not only what we have but how they gel.  Ron & Co specifically targeted players that wouldn't need to be prodded or coaxed to get with the program, players that are coachable making coaching everyone more effective. I foresee some heartbreak cuts before the season starts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Seems to me that a lot pf people tend to give the QB credit when often his receivers making the catch are where his stats come from. Jones @ Alabama definitely benefitted from his stable of WRs for example. Doggin on Milne overlooks his actual production, all receptions not being equal. Gimme a kid making those tough critical catches over the middle to keep a drive alive, I'm happy with it no matter what his season stats end up being. Making a block downfield to spring your speed for a score? Might not show on the scoreboard but that sure as hell gets noticed by coaches. 

Looking forward to camps this year, not only what we have but how they gel.  Ron & Co specifically targeted players that wouldn't need to be prodded or coaxed to get with the program, players that are coachable making coaching everyone more effective. I foresee some heartbreak cuts before the season starts. 

Milne strikes me as one of those Patriot slot receivers who were wildy productive with Brady.  They aren't that fast or sudden but they know how to get open and catch everything. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Milne strikes me as one of those Patriot slot receivers who were wildy productive with Brady.  They aren't that fast or sudden but they know how to get open and catch everything. 

I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the team and Humphries is cut.  Let's see who out performs who in camp and preseason games.  

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the team and Humphries is cut.  Let's see who out performs who in camp and preseason games.  

As a VERY late 7th round pick, unless he’s a demon on teams (and he just might be), it is unlikely he makes the 53 as a rookie.

However, if cut, he’s a lock for the practice squad and with some seasoning he should contend in 2022 if not sooner.

Wilson does a credible Aaron Rodgers impression in the highlight reels for Milne.  Damn that kid is talented.  It wouldn't shock me if he ends up being the best QB from the class.  The game looks almost effortless for him.  @Skinsinparadise are you feeling envious about that Jets class?  It is looking pretty great between Wilson, Moore, Carter, and Vera-Tucker.  Already have Mekhi Becton and Denzel Mims from last year too, plus they signed Corey Davis.  Are they about to run a dominant offense on the AFC East?

I like Milne.  He's a short strider who doesn't have much build-up speed, but he's very quick at changing directions and has some slick fakes he uses to get open deep.  He's got strong legs and does a good job fighting through contact to stay balanced and upright.  Seems to have good concentration and hands too.  I hope he makes the roster.  I'm not a huge Cam Sims fan and I want Milne to at least have a fair shot at a roster spot.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wilson does a credible Aaron Rodgers impression in the highlight reels for Milne.  Damn that kid is talented.  It wouldn't shock me if he ends up being the best QB from the class.  The game looks almost effortless for him.  @Skinsinparadise are you feeling envious about that Jets class?  It is looking pretty great between Wilson, Moore, Carter, and Vera-Tucker.  Already have Mekhi Becton and Denzel Mims from last year too, plus they signed Corey Davis.  Are they about to run a dominant offense on the AFC East?

I like Milne.  He's a short strider who doesn't have much build-up speed, but he's very quick at changing directions and has some slick fakes he uses to get open deep.  He's got strong legs and does a good job fighting through contact to stay balanced and upright.  Seems to have good concentration and hands too.  I hope he makes the roster.  I'm not a huge Cam Sims fan and I want Milne to at least have a fair shot at a roster spot.

Jets had an awesome draft IMO.  AVT was super safe and gives them a strong o-line for running.  Still, the Bills rule that division with Josh Allen.  He was dominant last year, and they have a smart FO and coaching staff.  

Cam Sims is an ok gunner on teams, but he stinks as a WR IMO.  He had two costly drops against Carolina and Tampa.  

Right now, I have:

1). Terry

2). Samuel

3). Brown

4). Humphries

as locks to make the team (need a vet WR like Humphries with all the young WRs on the roster).  

You have Harmon, AGG, Cam Simms, Steven Simms, and Milne fighting for two spots.  

@stevemcqueen1 I agree. I don't want to see Steven Simms at WR or returning punts. Makes me to nervous when the ball is heading in his direction.

I like Harmons game more them Cam Simms. Yes he had crucial drops but he made some plays against Pitts..including a big third down one handed grab and he made some catches late against Detroit to extend drives. (If we won; maybe his perception changes a bit)

So I can appreciate Cam; but like you prefer Harmon who I believe could have made those plays in addition to snagging the ones he dropped. Mline I'm hoping can replace Humphries next year as the backup slot.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm pulling for AGG and Milne or Harmon.  Not a fan of the Sims duo.

It’s interesting to think of the little things that could decide who makes the team.  Do we play more man coverage on D?  Do they get a chance at a lot of contested catches from Fitzpatrick?  How much will the coaches value blocking?  Can they get off the line vs press (hello St Juste)?  And so on.

I could see Milne (quick feet, savvy and strong hands) having more success vs St Juste than the others fighting for a spot(s).

I like Harmon’s chances in terms of hands, contested catches, ST and if he practices against zone D.  If he’s lining up at Z against Jackson, and facing mostly man coverage, it could be tough going for him.  The battle between him, AGG, Cam, Milne and Wright should be very intriguing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah if I had to pick one guy that was my guy in that last draft it was Elijah Moore.  I think he will be a star.  Also Michael Carter was one of my guys, I think he will be great too though more as a complementary back (like he was used in North Carolina)  than the bell cow.  I was also a Zach Wilson believer though I admit all the fawning on him by mock drafters got a bit nauseating.  I liked him better when he was this up and comer riser.   I liked Vera-Tucker as a guard but didn't love him the way the Jets did where they gave up major draft capital to get him. 

I don't mind Cam Sims but like you I am not big on him.  It sticks with me an interview he had where he admitted he's not a student of the game/likes to study routes -- forgot how he said it but he played up see ball-catch ball versus putting his head in his playbook.   

Gandy-Golden is a good lesson for me in the draft thread.  I reversed myself on him.  I did the same on Ryan Anderson after it looked like they had interest in taking him. I wasn't high on either on first blush.  My issue with Gandy-Golden was I didn't think he was good at seperating and that was against inferior competition.  So I slammed him initially. Then later I talked myself into him because he had some love on the thread and thought he could be a possibility.   Not that the jury is out on Gandy-Golden.  But I heard he was "meh" in camp.  And clearly not hot in his short sample in the NFL thus far.  I hear he's already on the bubble.  Will see.

On the other hand, I did like Kelvin Harmon before the draft.  Didn't love him.  But I liked him.  He's not a burner but he can still seperate and plays with physicality -- contested catches, run blocking, YAC.   I think he's the most physical receiver we've had since Garcon.  But I don't know how he's going to be post surgery.  But if he finds his old self I am more intrigued with him than I am with Sims or Gandy-Golden.

For Milne, I am going to be interested to hear how he does in camp.  Like his old QB, it will be a transition playing from the competition he had in college to the pros.  If I was watching Milne play the SEC for example, I'd think he's up there with Dyami Brown.   Its tough for me to adjust what I see with Milne to the competition.  For example maybe he won't seperate with ease like he did in college in the pros and if so that would be a problem.  But two traits he has that I think we can bank on is he can track the deep ball and has really good hands.   He made some sick catches in college.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah if I had to pick one guy that was my guy in that last draft it was Elijah Moore.  I think he will be a star.  Also Michael Carter was one of my guys, I think he will be great too though more as a complementary back (like he was used in North Carolina)  than the bell cow.  I was also a Zach Wilson believer though I admit all the fawning on him by mock drafters got a bit nauseating.  I liked him better when he was this up and comer riser.   I liked Vera-Tucker as a guard but didn't love him the way the Jets did where they gave up major draft capital to get him. 

I forgot how much I liked Wilson.  I barely paid him or Lawrence any mind after it became clear they'd go as early as they did.  Then I saw him again while watching Milne and was just like wow.  The easy arm talent is just so reminiscent of Rodgers to me.  Even the body language on the field.  I think it's clear that Wilson modeled his game on Rodgers.  Hopefully the Jets don't screw this up because it looks like they got a good one.  And I think Elijah Moore has a chance to be awesome with him.  Moore has such good and natural hands and Wilson can drop dimes for him.  I think they're going to make it look easy, even on Sundays.

I like Vera-Tucker for them because they already have Becton and aren't going to be tempted to play Vera-Tucker at LT when Becton is healthy.  That is one imposingly talented left side.  Becton was completely raw but has a Jonathan Ogden-like physicality.  He's overwhelming and with a stud LG next to him, things will be easier for him.

Were you a Denzel Mims guy last year or was that someone else?  They've got him to develop too.  I don't know, it feels like they've acquired a bunch of foundation pieces and could build something special on offense.

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Gandy-Golden is a good lesson for me in the draft thread.  I reversed myself on him.  I did the same on Ryan Anderson after it looked like they had interest in taking him. I wasn't high on either on first blush.  My issue with Gandy-Golden was I didn't think he was good at seperating and that was against inferior competition.  So I slammed him initially. Then later I talked myself into him because he had some love on the thread and thought he could be a possibility.   Not that the jury is out on Gandy-Golden.  But I heard he was "meh" in camp.  And clearly not hot in his short sample in the NFL thus far.  I hear he's already on the bubble.  Will see.

Tough break for him coming in, getting Covid, and then getting hurt.  My big concern with him coming out of Liberty was, for not being particularly fast, he also lacked play strength.  I figured he'd need at least a year to build his body up for the league, but getting injured surely hurt him there.  I'm hoping he comes into camp stronger and healthy and was basically able to treat last year as a redshirt season where he adjusted to the culture of the NFL.  It would be a shame for a fourth round pick in a good WR draft to fall through the cracks so quickly and completely.

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On the other hand, I did like Kelvin Harmon before the draft.  Didn't love him.  But I liked him.  He's not a burner but he can still seperate and plays with physicality -- contested catches, run blocking, YAC.   I think he's the most physical receiver we've had since Garcon.  But I don't know how he's going to be post surgery.  But if he finds his old self I am more intrigued with him than I am with Sims or Gandy-Golden.

I've been rooting for Harmon, but he is a pretty long shot at this point.  He was already slow, but the last glimpse I saw of him was running routes against air a couple of months ago and he just couldn't change directions at all.  I'm not expecting him to make the team unfortunately.  But I hope he gets healthy and makes it because I like his game so much more than the Simses.  Fitzpatrick would enjoy throwing to the healthy version of Harmon.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For Milne, I am going to be interested to hear how he does in camp.  Like his old QB, it will be a transition playing from the competition he had in college to the pros.  If I was watching Milne play the SEC for example, I'd think he's up there with Dyami Brown.   Its tough for me to adjust what I see with Milne to the competition.  For example maybe he won't seperate with ease like he did in college in the pros and if so that would be a problem.  But two traits he has that I think we can bank on is he can track the deep ball and has really good hands.   He made some sick catches in college.

The discrepancy in team quality can be absolutely massive in CFB, but there is more parity in the individual match ups of the sport than we tend to credit.  Milne beat some kids from Pac-12 schools too, so that's worth something at least.  I think he's going to be an easy zone beater and has the toughness to make plays from the slot in the NFL, the big question is can he get open against decent man coverage?  Can he make corners pay for squatting on his underneath routes and daring him to run past them?  I do not know.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Were you a Denzel Mims guy last year or was that someone else?  They've got him to develop too.  I don't know, it feels like they've acquired a bunch of foundation pieces and could build something special on offense.

Semi big on Mims.  Not like I was on Elijah.  Loved the phyisicality Mims played with in college including run blocking.  Was concered about the concentration drops.

I've been rooting for Harmon, but he is a pretty long shot at this point.  He was already slow, but the last glimpse I saw of him was running routes against air a couple of months ago and he just couldn't change directions at all.  I'm not expecting him to make the team unfortunately.  But I hope he gets healthy and makes it because I like his game so much more than the Simses.  Fitzpatrick would enjoy throwing to the healthy version of Harmon.

Health is the obvious X factor.  If Harmon gets to 100% in camp, I'd guess its Gandy-Golden not Harmon who is in trouble for making the team.  Though it could be the both of them.  The kicker for me was hearing a beat guy highlight that he heard how underwhelmed they were about his performance in camp.   Cooley who is one of the film watchers I trust the most studied the reps he had in the pros so far (I haven't studied it myself but I'll probably get to it) and thought Gandy-Golden looked really bad.  Off the top of my head I recall some of Gandy-Golden's drops. 

Thinking about this some more.  Gandy Golden and Harmon are similar size.  About the same weight.  Golden is an inch and a half taller.  Same speed.  Harmon IMO with better hands, can seperate better, better run blocker, more physical.   Golden with the better catch radius and in theory red zone target.  If Rivera has a genuine camp competition and Harmon is right, I'd be be surprised if he doesn't beat him.  Harmon IMO had the better start thus far in the pros.   

Gandy-Golden had COVID-19 about five months before camp and supposedly had just a mild case of it.   The hamstring pull in late October to me is just run of the mill WR kind of injury that plenty of receivers get and its not as if he was building up momentum before that.  I'd give him a bigger break of it was something major or that injury broke his momentum. 

But yeah its possible that he comes back with a vengence this training camp, will see.  With Gandy-Golden what I liked as for his college tape is his height/sick catch radius.  He could look like a man among boys at Liberty from that perspective. 

I'd put my money on Harmon though if he's 100%, not only do I think he's a better player but reading about him, he's a big time competitor.  So if I had to bet on a player coming back with a vengence it would be him.  But will see.

The discrepancy in team quality can be absolutely massive in CFB, but there is more parity in the individual match ups of the sport than we tend to credit.  Milne beat some kids from Pac-12 schools too, so that's worth something at least.  I think he's going to be an easy zone beater and has the toughness to make plays from the slot in the NFL, the big question is can he get open against decent man coverage?  Can he make corners pay for squatting on his underneath routes and daring him to run past them?  I do not know.

I agree he ends up playing slot.  If I had to highlight one thing about Milne it would be his hands.  His hands are unbelievable.  Short of Elijah Moore, he might have the best hands of the receivers I've watched.  Contested catches/acrobatic catches.  I like Dyami a lot and did before the draft too.  But I still like Elijah Moore better for two main reasons which is he has better hands and better breakaway speed.  Milne doesn't have that breakaway speed.  But I actually like his hands over Dyami. Dyami has good hands but argubaly not great ones considering his concentration drops. 

I am also big on receivers who can track the deep ball.  I've learned over the years its not all about speed.  It's a special skill to track a ball that high up in the air, adjusting to the trajectory while keeping an eye on the defender, etc.   Dyami can do it really well.  So can Milne.  Dyami has good speed but not great speed.  Milne has pedestrian speed but he can catch the ball long, too.

I don't recall if I said it for sure but I think I did mention Milne as Dyami light (because of the deep ball) on the draft thread at some point.  I am bringing that up here because when Sheehan mentioned Elijah Moore was their prototype WR that they are looking for.  The #1 thing that struck me about that, being a rabid Elijah fan was:  hands catcher/strong hands and deep ball tracking.  Milne fits that even though he doesn't have that prototype deep ball speed.   

Based on that my guess is Milne was on their list of receivers to grab if they miss out on Dyami but as the draft got deeper they were surprised he was still there and took him because he was much higher on their board than where they took him -- even though they arguably didn't need at that point more WR depth. 

Similar narrative if so ironically to Harmon.  I recall Kyle Smith saying in a post draft interview they considered Harmon as high as the 4th round but he needed other needs filled then and was shocked he was still there in the 6th and couldn't resist it then. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of Harmon, AGG, Cam Simms, Steven Simms, and Milne fighting for two spots.

I don't feel like I know AGG is capable of.  I am hoping he is shows something, but my expectations are fairly low.  Of the 5, if I was ranking them today I would probably go Harmon, Steven Sims, Milne, Cam Simms, AGG.  That said I don't have a good feel for AGG or Milne.   Steven Sims was a bit tricky to rank.  If it was based on just last year, I probably would have had him second to last, but I liked him his rookie year and if I was ranking at this time last year, may have had him the highest. I like Cam Simms too, I feel like if it was just based on last year I would have him higher than Steven Simms.   Honestly figuring Harmon gets the fifth spot I think any of the guys are fine for 6th spot.  I might give a slight edge to Steven Simms for his kick returning ability.

48 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Of Harmon, AGG, Cam Simms, Steven Simms, and Milne fighting for two spots.

I don't feel like I know AGG is capable of.  I am hoping he is shows something, but my expectations are fairly low.  Of the 5, if I was ranking them today I would probably go Harmon, Steven Sims, Milne, Cam Simms, AGG.  That said I don't have a good feel for AGG or Milne.   Steven Sims was a bit tricky to rank.  If it was based on just last year, I probably would have had him second to last, but I liked him his rookie year and if I was ranking at this time last year, may have had him the highest. I like Cam Simms too, I feel like if it was just based on last year I would have him higher than Steven Simms.   Honestly figuring Harmon gets the fifth spot I think any of the guys are fine for 6th spot.  I might give a slight edge to Steven Simms for his kick returning ability.

Most of us are understandably down on Steve Sims.  Of that group, I do think he’s the most dynamic in terms of separation skills and playing slot receiver.  Those hands though... I hope he approached McLaurin about his catching drills and spends the offseason working on it.  Considering we have Humphries and Samuel - both good slot receivers - along with Milne (who’s got potential, and a longer, cheaper contract than Sims), I think keeping a Z or X type receiver makes more sense.  I give the edge to Harmon because of his work ethic, hands and blocking... if he’s healthy.  He’s also got the better contract than Cam.  Wright, to me, is the wildcard.  He didn’t show much last year, but he looked fluid, quick, and made a couple tough catches.  Probably the best runner out of the backfield, and best screen receiver of that group.  Needs to answer some questions though.

X - Terry, Brown

Slot - Humphries, Milne (Samuel moves inside if Humphries goes down)

Z - Samuel, Harmon (possibly Sims or Wright)

On 5/1/2021 at 8:52 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Perhaps his greatest accomplishment since turning Pro, is he is the only WFT draft pick, not to have any puns made about his name on ES.

Congratulations, Mr Milne.

Dax not quite true.

• Haha 6

After watching his tape, this guy is definitely making the squad over Harmon, AGG, and SSims. I was curious to see what his 40 time was after watching him and his time kind of surprised me, he looks faster than 4.57 to me. This guy was Zach Wilson's security blanket, he literally threw the ball up to him no matter what, even if it was tight coverage and Dax bailed him out frequently. What he has going for him over the guys he'll make the roster over is the combination of route running and reliable hands. AGG, Harmon, and SSims don't have both of those traits. AGG is an unpolished route runner, Harmon is way too slow footed but has good hands, and SSims is a pretty good route runner but isn't reliable at catching and has concentration issues. Dax is also a better vertical threat than those 3. 

McLaurin, Samuel, Brown, Humphries, Cam Sims, and Dax will be the 6 WRs on the roster when the season starts I think.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1