Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Statehood

Cooked Crack

DC Statehood?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. DC Statehood?

I guess my point is we get bogged down in stuff that doesn’t matter. We’re talking about neighborhoods, culture, borders, diversity, etc. and none of that matters. The real issue is there’s a sizable group of people that don’t have  the same representation and in the specific case of dc have the government they have no representation in making some of the rules they live under. 

the people that don’t want to make dc a state simply need to offer a compelling alternative. And the people that want to make it a state need to realize maybe there’s a better solution. 

this wouldn’t be so hard if both parties functioned like reasonable adults 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

there's a guy in one of my master's classes that's from Puerto Rico - we actually discussed this the other day, he and his family + close friends still in Puerto Rico are all for statehood

My neighbor and close friend (and a servicemember) is Puerto Rican and he thinks the same thing, which is why I don't think a statement that they want independence is grounded in the wishes of Puerto Ricans. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

I guess my point is we get bogged down in stuff that doesn’t matter. We’re talking about neighborhoods, culture, borders, diversity, etc. and none of that matters.

Exactly.  What "culture" is worthy of statehood and what isn't?  And if there is a cultural litmus test, quite a few states have some explaining to do, but I digress.  The only thing that matters is 700,000 people are subject to the jurisdiction of the federal government and do not have meaningful representation in that government, which is antithetical to the entire philosophy of our government.  The best way to fix that is to make DC a state and I still have not hear any good reasons why that shouldn't happen. 

The biggest problem with the idea of adding DC to Maryland or Virginia is that I don't think the people of DC, Maryland or Virginia wants that.  DC is it's own thing.  It has it's own system of government, laws, courts, institutions, and identity.  It has just about everything that a "normal" state has and a lot of things that most states don't (a team in all 4 major sports leagues, multiple top-tier universities).  Do people really think that the people of DC should be treated as second class citizens because DC doesn't have a coal mine?  That somehow a corn farmer is more "worthy" than a college professor or a lawyer or an FBI agent or the guy that sweeps up after Nats games?  None of that makes any sense.  What makes sense is not being in favor of those 700,000 getting representation because (1) you selfishly don't want the balance of power to shift or (2) because you do, in fact, think that the people living in DC, a majority minority city, are not worthy of political representation.  

• Like 4

So then once they’re a state what will be the functional difference between the mayor of dc and the governor of dc?

I do feel like there are many details of statehood that are overlooked. 

just let them pass their own laws without requiring maneuvering National politics. Let them have senators and congressmen as appropriate. And call it a day. 

3 hours ago, tshile said:

just let them pass their own laws without requiring maneuvering National politics. Let them have senators and congressmen as appropriate. And call it a day. 

Isn't that pretty much what a state is?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

DC is it's own thing.  It has it's own system of government, laws, courts, institutions, and identity.  It has just about everything that a "normal" state has and a lot of things that most states don't (a team in all 4 major sports leagues, multiple top-tier universities).

Ehh.  DC doesn't really have an NFL team.  Maryland does.

Once The Rock brings back the XFL, though, we must bring back the glorious Beer Snake to the DC Defenders.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'll be the first to say that Georgia only has culture from other states. 

Idk if that's really true. Its more like Georgia culture spread to other more established cities and areas and didn't get the credit. Chet Atkins for example grew up in Georgia and he's credited with creating the "Nashville Sound". James Brown, Little Richard, Ray Charles, REM, B-52s, Nuetral Milk Hotel, Widespread Panic, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, TLC, Outkast, Ludacris, Lil Jon, Lil Nas X, and oh so many more l are all either from or got their start in Georgia. Athens for example had a insanely popular music scene in the 1990s. Allman Brothers originated in Jax Fla but there's a reason Duane and Greg and Berry Oakley are buried in Macon. 🤓

giphy.gif

Edited by clietas

“They all came to the same conclusion: If Congress wants to make D.C. a state, it should propose a constitutional amendment. It should propose a constitutional amendment, and let the people of America vote,” Manchin said in a radio interview with Hoppy Kercheval of West Virginia’s MetroNews, the full audio of which was provided to The Washington Post by Manchin’s staff

**** out of here with this excuse. Just say no instead of using some weasel excuse.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

So what's the excuse for Puerto Rico then when they've voted a few times now to become a state?

Sure, let's have a national vote then. I think DC and PR will win the majority of support. Then what?

Then they move the goalposts. Where have you been? :ols:

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

What when do we American people get to vote in a constitutional amendment?

is there some mechanism for that I’m unaware of?

cause if so then holy **** we got a lot of work to do. 

Off the top of my head:

gun control

Term limits

and something that ties their pay to the overall well-being of the country (thinking health, poverty, education, and infrastructure)

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

So what's the excuse for Puerto Rico then when they've voted a few times now to become a state?

Sure, let's have a national vote then. I think DC and PR will win the majority of support. Then what?

Just pointing out.  there is nothing in the Constitution specifying that Puerto Rico shall not be part of any State.  

I'm not saying that I think "It has to be a constitutional amendment" is a valid argument.  Just saying that "no other state needed an amendment" isn't exactly definitive, either.  

Do you think 50 votes is enough for statehood? The Congress changed the rules to allow a simple majority a couple of times the last few years, but I would think those rules couldn’t be changed for something like statehood or adding more Supreme Court Justice’s, for instance? So you would need 60?  

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Do you think 50 votes is enough for statehood? The Congress changed the rules to allow a simple majority a couple of times the last few years, but I would think those rules couldn’t be changed for something like statehood or adding more Supreme Court Justice’s, for instance? So you would need 60?  

Filibuster is a Senate rule, not something in the Constitution.  Statehood just requires Congressional approval, so it has the same requirements as any other legislation.

• Like 3