Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just going by memory.  Also it was interesting for me to watch Peyton Manning talk about play action fakes in one of his ESPN QB specials when going over Trubisky.  He called out Trubisky at being especially atrocious at it which he is.  And Manning showed how easy it is for defenses to stop the play action when some QBs telegraph it so clumsily.

Of all of those QBs, Strong is the most active as far as setting and resetting protectings in the games I've watched.  But not that hot at play action fakes.  I don't find really any of the other top Qbs being great at selling play action but none atrocious at it.  If I had to pick the 2nd best at it I'd say Pickett.

As for Willis, I am just betting on his upside.  I got no problem with the thought is sign up for elite attributes and hope to get lucky.  That logic makes sense to me.  His mobility IMO is elite.  Arm borderline elite.  I think some sleep on his ability to make off platform throws, which is really good at too.  Accuracy isn't always hot, decision making not hot.

Strong and Ridder are interesting for me for different reasons if they can fix some of the things I don't like.  For Strong is his knee checks out and his mobility improves with further rest.

As for Ridder, I like the fact that he's self aware.  I liked reading about he's working on his footwork/delivery to improve accuracy and work on hitting receivers in stride.  When I sat down one morning and watched Alec Pierce it was striking how Ridder almost never hit the dude in stride, he was constantly contorting his body to adjust to Ridder's throws.  So love the fact that Ridder is aware its a problem.  His QB coach, Palmer who is also coaching Strong is working with him on it.   

I do understand the importance of play action fakes and thought Strong was tops, thanks for all your responses! It seems like such an easy skill to learn or even just teach yourself, strange more can't do it at least decently.

If they walk into the draft unsatisfied with the QB situation I am figuring one of the top 4 at 11 is a must. If they are okay with the QB situation they look to late first round beginning of the 2nd for Strong or Ridder.

19 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I do understand the importance of play action fakes and thought Strong was tops, thanks for all your responses! It seems like such an easy skill to learn or even just teach yourself, strange more can't do it at least decently.

If they walk into the draft unsatisfied with the QB situation I am figuring one of the top 4 at 11 is a must. If they are okay with the QB situation they look to late first round beginning of the 2nd for Strong or Ridder.

I am judging purely on how the play fakes look to me to my naked eye so its subjective on my end.  Not so much stats.  I haven't bothered to look at Strong's stats on play action.  IMO none of these guys are bad at play action fakes.  But as far as the whole dynamic of deceiving defenses via body language -- looking off safeties, play fakes-pump fakes, etc IMO Corral is the best at it from this group. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

As far as Matt Corral, Keim has barely talked about him.  One reference to maybe in a trade down in the first but he was very vague about it.  The other was him making I presume his own observation that his style of play doesn't match up to his size.

Only reason why I am sold on a veteran as the top choice and I like but don't love Corral is his size.  I've been saying for months Corral reminds me of Heinicke on steroids -- what would Heinicke be with a big arm and more mobility.  But digesting this further that actually might hurt not help the cause with this FO as for makings comps to Heinicke because they are of similar size.

Heinicke has mobility and is somewhat of a running threat but isn't special on that front.  I think he could be special if he had a bigger frame.  But considering all his injuries before this season, he's been gun shy to run at times when he could have in games.  I could see there being some fear that Corral has the same dynamic.  Personally, I am ok with rolling the dice on Corral but I could see the hey the dude has the same frame as Taylor being a hindrance in their minds. 

That seems high but it only dates back till 2019 and we've had fairly decent drafts since then. Haskins sucked but its factoring non QBs anyway and we took Sweat and Holcomb that year. In 2020 obviously Young but also Gibson and Curl. And last year we got good contributions from Cosmi and St. Juste before he got hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As far as Matt Corral, Keim has barely talked about him.  One reference to maybe in a trade down in the first but he was very vague about it.  The other was him making I presume his own observation that his style of play doesn't match up to his size.

Only reason why I am sold on a veteran as the top choice and I like but don't love Corral is his size.  I've been saying for months Corral reminds me of Heinicke on steroids -- what would Heinicke be with a big arm and more mobility.  But digesting this further that actually might hurt not help the cause with this FO as for makings comps to Heinicke because they are of similar size.

Heinicke has mobility and is somewhat of a running threat but isn't special on that front.  I think he could be special if he had a bigger frame.  But considering all his injuries before this season, he's been gun shy to run at times when he could have in games.  I could see there being some fear that Corral has the same dynamic.  Personally, I am ok with rolling the dice on Corral but I could see the hey the dude has the same frame as Taylor being a hindrance in their minds. 

Gotta say, a faster, livelier armed Heinicke sounds pretty nice to me.  I do like how Heinicke protected himself while running last year, sounds like Corral could benefit from incorporating/improving on. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As you have posted SIP about Keim, he has mentioned Ridder and we know via tweet sometime in the past, that Mayhew played with Ridder's HS coach.  It wouldn't shock me if we did the FA QB, traded down in the first, unless like you talked about Keim saying if Pickett were there, they would take him at #11 but beyond that, trade down and get an extra pick or picks or maybe a 2023 1st rounder depending on how far we trade down and then draft Ridder.  Just a thought.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We just never know do we, HigSkin. :) Wonder what Lance gave Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, etc. or any other of the past QBs that were drafted in lower rounds.  :)  

There's a chance one of this year's crop has what it takes, but TBH it's anyone's guess who it might be, because on paper they're all meh. Maybe the best option is to draft someone on potential rather than what they've shown, and hope it works out.

9 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

There's a chance one of this year's crop has what it takes, but TBH it's anyone's guess who it might be, because on paper they're all meh. Maybe the best option is to draft someone on potential rather than what they've shown, and hope it works out.

Time will tell how they all pan out. :) 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Interesting tweet ... shows that we've done quite well drafting since 2019 ...  3rd best in the league when not accounting for QBs ...

This guy is taking a dump on LAC, but I’d love to have Adderley, Slater, Palmer, Samuel, and Tillery.  Hell, I wouldn’t mind having Murray in house even though he hasn’t shown much in his first two seasons.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Gotta say, a faster, livelier armed Heinicke sounds pretty nice to me.  I do like how Heinicke protected himself while running last year, sounds like Corral could benefit from incorporating/improving on. 

Obviously sounds nice to me too since he's my #1 QB.  But if they perhaps don't want Corral to run like he did in college it mitigates one of his powers.  Like I said I don't think Heinicke is anything special as far as mobility because he's not willing to run the way some others with similar speed/agility are.  Corral clearly is willing but would his team want to risk it?  I am just playing devil's advocate to Corral some.  Otherwise he's my top Qb in this draft.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Obviously sounds nice to me too since he's my #1 QB.  But if they perhaps don't want Corral to run like he did in college it mitigates one of his powers.  Like I said I don't think Heinicke is anything special as far as mobility because he's not willing to run the way some others with similar speed/agility are.  Corral clearly is willing but would his team want to risk it?  I am just playing devil's advocate to Corral some.  Otherwise he's my top Qb in this draft.

For me, Heinicke showed the runner he could be in the Green Bay game - running in conjunction with passing, picking up chunks, moving the chains, demoralizing the defense, yet sliding/getting out of bounds to protect himself.  Basically a safe, but potent addition to the passing game.  Based solely on what I’ve read, Corral plays a bit more (as a runner) like Heinicke did in the playoff game (a bit of “hair on fire” style) vs how TH played this year.

Of course, that’s separate from the coaches running/calling RPO stuff.  Well, maybe not “separate” as you’d like him to protect himself either way, but I’m more talking his mentality as a rusher, not so much about designing/calling an offense around his running.  If he could run like TH did in GB (minus the misjudged goal line dive), it would still be a “super power” IMO (even if Turner didn’t use much RPO).

Edited by skinny21

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

For me, Heinicke showed the runner he could be in the Green Bay game - running in conjunction with passing, picking up chunks, moving the chains, demoralizing the defense, yet sliding/getting out of bounds to protect himself.  Basically a safe, but potent addition to the passing game.  Based solely on what I’ve read, Corral plays a bit more (as a runner) like Heinicke did in the playoff game (a bit of “hair on fire” style) vs how TH played this year.

Of course, that’s separate from the coaches running/calling RPO stuff.  Well, maybe not “separate” as you’d like him to protect himself either way, but I’m more talking his mentality as a rusher, not so much about designing/calling an offense around his running.  If he could run like TH did in GB (minus the misjudged goal line dive), it would still be a “super power” IMO.

I think you are missing part of my point.  IMO Corral as a runner >>> Heinicke.  Heinicke though is good as a runner.  Corral is a peg better.  What they have in common is they both have a slight frame.  Heinicke I gather doesn't run as much as he could because he's a bit fearful that he would be tagged as an injury prone QB.  He talked about how important it was for him to shrug that tag this season.  As for Corral, I don't know if his NFL coaches would be worried for him to run a lot (ala this college season) considering his slight frame.  I get the point about he could learn to protect himself but my point is I wonder if some teams are concerned about having to deal with that dynamic. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you are missing part of my point.  IMO Corral as a runner >>> Heinicke.  Heinicke though is good as a runner.  Corral is a peg better.  What they have in common is they both have a slight frame.  Heinicke I gather doesn't run as much as he could because he's a bit fearful that he would be tagged as an injury prone QB.  He talked about how important it was for him to shrug that tag this season.  As for Corral, I don't know if his NFL coaches would be worried for him to run a lot (ala this college season) considering his slight frame.  I get the point about he could learn to protect himself but my point is I wonder if some teams are concerned about having to deal with that dynamic. 

Fair enough.  Certainly possible (or likely?) teams worry about him for that reason.  To me, the way Turner seemed to push Heinicke to run more makes me think that’s not so much an issue with this staff, but who knows.

For me, it was actually more dangerous for Heinicke to try to move in the pocket/go through multiple reads than to take off because he did so well sliding.  The running version of ‘take what the defense gives you’.

A slight frame mixed with an aggressive run style is probably pretty scary for coaches though for sure, and a 1st round pick is a bit different from an UDFA in terms of protecting your investment.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Taking a G at 11 would be criminal. If its not going towards QB it needs to be towards a difference maker at WR or LB.

If not a QB, then BPA all the way.  That may be an OL like Green at 11.  42 is going to have some sick options at WR and LB too, it's not worth forcing a need pick at 11.  That's what we did at 19 in the last draft and it was a big mistake.

• Like 3