Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

If you're talking about getting Beavers, you better know that he's there in the 6th when you trade up.  I'd be fine with that.  

Good point. Our 9th and 19th in the seventh round are worth about a 24th in the sixth (going by the NFL trade chart). 

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And one of those 5th was the first pick in the round.  

That is actually pretty good value for basically a 5 spot move-back.  

Maybe we don't suck at everything?  (Checks twitter.) Nope, I guess we still suck at everything. 

I'm pretty sure we traded a 4th and a 6th (not a seventh). 

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If you're talking about getting Beavers, you better know that he's there in the 6th when you trade up.  I'd be fine with that.  

Ya that is the only person I would want to trade up for. Nice way to end this draft. 

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

If Wentz doesnt work out they still need to operate 2023 as if they have nothing in the pipeline

Maybe.

However, I really think if Wentz flames out, it's going to be early and spectacular.  In which case, we might see Howell sooner than later.

And they will see Howell every day in practice, so they'll have a much better idea of what he can do.  

Hell, we've had 30 years of misery.  We're due for some good luck.  I would take that luck in the form of either Wentz balling out or Howell becoming our Dak.  I'm not picky. I'd take either. 

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

If Wentz doesnt work out they still need to operate 2023 as if they have nothing in the pipeline

If this season goes completely tits up, we should be in good position next year in a far superior QB class. That is, unless Slingin' Sam Howell gives us a proper taste.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe.

However, I really think if Wentz flames out, it's going to be early and spectacular.  In which case, we might see Howell sooner than later.

And they will see Howell every day in practice, so they'll have a much better idea of what he can do.  

Hell, we've had 30 years of misery.  We're due for some good luck.  I would take that luck in the form of either Wentz balling out or Howell becoming our Dak.  I'm not picky. I'd take either. 

Yes were due for some luck but still dont think its coming from a 5th round QB. 

The 2022 NFL Draft quarterback class was never regarded as a strong crop of players. But no one could have predicted three of the top four quarterbacks, including Willis, sliding all the way down to the third round, and a fifth getting skipped on the first two days entirely.

Multiple sources expressed surprise Thursday night that Willis wasn’t a first-round pick.

There was collective shock among sources polled around the NFL that Willis and fellow quarterback prospects Desmond Ridder and Matt Corral slid all the way to the third round and that Sam Howell wasn’t selected on the first two days of the draft.

“I didn’t expect any of the QBs to be there in the third,” a scout on a team that drafted a quarterback said Friday night.

One league source theorized that, in an already weak quarterback class — “perhaps the worst group ever” — “no player stood out over the others.”

Another league source felt that quarterback-needy teams didn’t want to be the first to make such a move on Day 2. So, there was a standoff to see who would bite first. It wound up being the Falcons, setting off a mini-run on passers.

With a lack of conviction in any one particular quarterback, teams were willing to see which one would come off the board first. Then, they could pounce on the next best player available.

One source wasn’t overly shocked by Willis’ fall, in particular.

“People just don’t like him as high as he was said to be regarded,” an AFC exec said.

The same, he said, held true for the rest of the signal-caller class, which now seems obvious in retrospect, though it did leave most of the league perplexed by the game of chicken that ensued Friday night.

A scout on a team that filled its quarterback need earlier this offseason did say that his team was interested in Willis earlier in the offseason.

“Not sure what caused the slide,” he said.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

You all realize that in the ideal scenario, Howell doesn't play a snap for us this year, right?  If he plays, it's because things have gone badly in one way or another. 

Though, I REALLY REALLY want him to win the backup job just to needle the Hive.  In good fun.  But it will be fun.  :P 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1