Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Since when has Mitch been my boy?

He was a guy I wanted to be a bridge QB here. IE: A guy who I thought could fill the gap that was better than Heinicke.

Also, Pickett makes sense for Pittsburgh. Probably the absolute best spot he could have gone. They practice next to each other. Pittsburgh is also probably pretty damn good this year and it has a strong run game to take some pressure off of Pickett. Bull**** with you aside, I'm not the biggest Pickett fan. But, I think he is calm and composed and has a good head on his shoulders which goes along way. With Najee Harris and a run game he has less pressure to carry the offense and can focus on learning the pro game. He has a good receiving corp. as well. In wet, rainy games, where Pickett struggles, Pittsburgh can hand the ball off to Najee Harris and pick and choose their spots with Pickett. It's actually a really good fit.

Pickett made zero sense for us. Running game isn't all that strong, we aren't built to be a ball control offense at the moment. Unfamiliar with the staff. Different market and area. We just traded assets for Wentz.

If Pickett was on the board in the second/third I'd say we should consider him. Passing on him in the first was a no brainer for the Washington Commanders, though. 

You were practically begging for them to get Trubisky and draft Howell in the 1st rd to learn behind him a few months ago. But anyway, I don’t see Wentz as the long term answer and I think a smart team would’ve taken Pickett in that situation. I’d be happy if we get Willis today though. He’d be so good at read option and play action off that like rg3 was his rookie year. I know that’s not gonna happen though. I guess we can settle for Sam in the 3rd 🙄

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We drafted 2 last year. I think we are probably done with that position unless someone they really covet falls. 

A lot of people have decided to write of Dyami Brown, but I don't suspect our coaching staff to be among them.  What they liked about him wouldn't have changed through a quiet rookie season.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm a BPA guy at heart so of course I'm going to ask a needs question.

We got a wide receiver. What other positions do you hope we hit in the draft and in what order of importance?

For me:

linebacker

guard

safety

running back

corner

3rd string QB w/potential

We have our 3rd string qb- Taylor. We need a backup.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, Jds0912 said:

You were practically begging for them to get Trubisky and draft Howell in the 1st rd to learn behind him a few months ago. But anyway, I don’t see Wentz as the long term answer and I think a smart team would’ve taken Pickett in that situation. I’d be happy if we get Willis today though. He’d be so good at read option and play action off that like rg3 was his rookie year. I know that’s not gonna happen though. I guess we can settle for Sam in the 3rd 🙄

I like Pickett as much or more than anyone on this board. Was banging my chest for him for months. But once the Wentz trade went down that was over. If that trade never went down I am going all in on Pickett. And we could have had him without giving up any assets. The Steelers stole him. Buts that what good teams and front offices do. 

3 minutes ago, Jds0912 said:

No. I wasn't.

I was saying that was likely our best option. There's a difference.

1 minute ago, Bifflog said:

A lot of people have decided to write of Dyami Brown, but I don't suspect our coaching staff to be among them.  What they liked about him wouldn't have changed through a quiet rookie season.

Disagree.  He showed nothing, looked like he didn’t belong, and often times could barely keep his feet during deep routes.

I think he needs an injury to get meaningful snaps.

13 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

The challenge was posed to me a few years ago. Find a bonafide NFL WR with a long career that had less than 20 catches in their first season. I failed and the answer may be zero. I called him a write off but injuries or bulking up or a new QB whatever can change things. I hope he does great but young WRs often have it tough in the NFL, especially competing against the vets. On both sides of the ball. Including, battling injures.

Edited by RandyHolt

3 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Disagree.  He showed nothing, looked like he didn’t belong, and often times could barely keep his feet during deep routes.

In fairness he wasnt really the same after the knee injury. He basically sat the last 10 games. Hopefully he used that time to learn the pro game. But he was a 3rd rounder. They arent going to give up on him after one injury filled season. 

4 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I don't know how anyone could expect significant improvement in year two. He's go to show it.

57 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Reception Perception (Matt Harmon) has a free article giving out his various superlatives at WR.  Dotson noted for best hands and best at beating zone, plus an honorable mention for best in the slot.

Olave awarded best at beating press @KDawg

https://receptionperception.com/2022-nfl-draft-wr-prospect-reception-perception-superlatives/

What's more is he has no problem going right at the teeth of the defense when they're in zone, which should open things up for his teammates by pulling the coverage apart. We had no way of dictating anything with our route combos because opponents knew they could man up anyone not wearing a number 17 jersey and get away with it. Hopefully that changes now. 

16 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Saints trade with us 3/4 with lower third than GBs.   If be surprised if we could pull 3/4 in this case. Really would depend on who's there I guess. 

True.  It would be but GB has extra picks in the 3rd and 4th so it may happen.  Good point though. :)  

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Pickett as much or more than anyone on this board. Was banging my chest for him for months. But once the Wentz trade went down that was over. If that trade never went down I am going all in on Pickett. And we could have had him without giving up any assets. The Steelers stole him. Buts that what good teams and front offices do. 

We really didn’t give up that much for Wentz though and hes not the qb he was. I actually liked that trade but I view him as more of a bridge instead of the future. I knew we weren’t gonna go qb last night but I just think it would’ve be a smart long term decision. 

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Honestly, as much as I like Howell, I'd have to see the board to determine if I liked it or not. 

If there are players that can help us immediately on the board and we go Howell it would be bitter sweet.

With Wentz/Howell it means we are planning on punting on QB next year. There are also backup quality QBs that will be available later.

Mixed feelings. 

I hear ya.  I like Zappe and Coan late.  I think as you've read they have their eye on Strong and could get him the late 3rd possibly, possibly top of the 4th but more so late 3rde.  He could also go earlier than that.  He leg injury scares off people and I get that but his arm is amazing.  

6 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Oh he definitely showed nothing to us, not debating that.  I just bet they didn't, on film, discover "Oh, this is why he sucks and we shouldn't have taken him."  More like he hasn't displayed the things that were the reason we took him.

Not saying you couldn't still be totally right here, but we'll see.

24 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

OT Abraham Lucas was one of our visits.

Between Lucas, Raimann, Petit-Frere, tough call if they go with a tackle.  I think I like Petit Frere the best. 

As for tackle guard types but probably better at guard:  Kinnard, Rhyan, Salyer

then you got Parham who I liked who played RG but can play center.

I have a real hard time jumping on one bandwagon of these players over another.  But I trust Masko on this

This is easier to read, I took the projected 5th-7th rounds and all the players already taken

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 1.14.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 1.13.52 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah me too, Nakobe's been one of my favorites in this draft forever.  It feels too good to be true, so don't want to get my hopes up.  😧

Seeing him go to the Giants in that Brugler mock is heartbreaking.  I'm already concerned about how quickly they seem to be improving and that wouldn't help. 

He's an incredible player and I had him at 16 overall.  The only guy still left who I had higher on my board is Willis.  The next closest after Dean are Metchie (18) and Walker (20) and Corral (21).

I'd be over the moon with Dean, and he's the cleanest option that is least likely to cause organizational turmoil.  I'd be almost as excited with Walker or Metchie, but neither are as good as Dean. 

If we pick Willis or Corral, I'm going to be really conflicted.  On the one hand, Hell yeah that would be really exciting.  Willis is the biggest value pick we can possibly make and Corral wouldn't be far behind him.  On the other hand I don't really trust this organization to navigate the minefield that would result in having two high end QB options available on the depth chart.  Feels like playing with fire and this FO has not shown discipline and long term planning when it comes to making decisions at QB.

But yeah, god damn.  It would be an exciting offense to watch that kind of arm power and running ability in the backfield with this speedy group of wide outs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Oh he definitely showed nothing to us, not debating that.  I just bet they didn't, on film, discover "Oh, this is why he sucks and we shouldn't have taken him."  More like he hasn't displayed the things that were the reason we took him.

Not saying you couldn't still be totally right here, but we'll see.

I just don’t see how he’s getting snaps unless there’s an injury (of course, there will be).  Terry, Dotson, and Samuel are the starters.  He’s fighting with Sims and Milne for a handful of plays here and there, even if the staff still believes.

I think the value for IOL is in the 4th. Going to be a good player there. If Faalele can move well enough to play guard he is a mauler of epic proportions. 

Lots of IOL talent. I would t go tackle at 47. I don’t think there’s a shot any of them is BPA there… but I do like Goedeke among s couple others. But Goedeke may be available in the 3rd as well.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I would not take a qb. I think we should go with Wentz and Heinicke. If it goes poorly they will both be gone next year. They both are on one year deals.

You may have also just made an argument for why we should take one lol. Its not often we get the chance to nab the top QB of a draft class. After trading down no less. We can still take one of course and I for one would like them to as I don't foresee Wentz here more than 2 seasons, with a decent chance he is only here one year. 

I think we really need to address CB next round. It’s hard to find good cornerbacks later than that.

But if Dean is available or blue chip RB I’m cool with it.

I would be slightly upset with Buffalo Nickel in round 2, because I feel like we would just be trying to address needs and ignoring value.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

You may have also just made an argument for why we should take one lol. Its not often we get the chance to nab the top QB of a draft class. After trading down no less. We can still take one of course and I for one would like them to as I don't foresee Wentz here more than 2 seasons, with a decent chance he is only here one year. 

I would not mind one in 4 or 5 but if this year goes bad we will have to get another one and a vet next year. You may be right Wentz may not work but I want to give him a chance.

• Like 1

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

I think we really need to address CB next round. It’s hard to find good cornerbacks later than that.

But if Dean is available or blue chip RB I’m cool with it.

I would be slightly upset with Buffalo Nickel in round 2, because I feel like we would just be trying to address needs and ignoring value.

Yeah I'm leaning CB/RB as the primary targets (and I think there is a chance they are the BPA anyways). Then LB. Then TE/QB/Hybrid is last there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Seeing him go to the Giants in that Brugler mock is heartbreaking.  I'm already concerned about how quickly they seem to be improving and that wouldn't help. 

He's an incredible player and I had him at 16 overall.  The only guy still left who I had higher on my board is Willis.  The next closest after Dean are Metchie (18) and Walker (20) and Corral (21).

I'd be over the moon with Dean, and he's the cleanest option that is least likely to cause organizational turmoil.  I'd be almost as excited with Walker or Metchie, but neither are as good as Dean. 

If we pick Willis or Corral, I'm going to be really conflicted.  On the one hand, Hell yeah that would be really exciting.  Willis is the biggest value pick we can possibly make and Corral wouldn't be far behind him.  On the other hand I don't really trust this organization to navigate the minefield that would result in having two high end QB options available on the depth chart.  Feels like playing with fire and this FO has not shown discipline and long term planning when it comes to making decisions at QB.

But yeah, god damn.  It would be an exciting offense to watch that kind of arm power and running ability in the backfield with this speedy group of wide outs.

I had a faze where Dean was my favorite player in the draft, so yeah I'd be stoked.  But it feels like it won't happen, too good to be true

I haven't been this jazzed about a 2nd round RB, as to Walker (I like Hall, too) since Dalvin Cook (I was right about him) and Guice (I was wrong).

If Walker and Dean aren't there, i don't think its crazy to trade down again if possible.  I have so many RBs-TEs-OTs-Gs where I keep saying in my mind I love the value in the 3rd but no so much the 2nd.

Lets take McBride, I like him maybe in the late 2nd but not as much at 47.   And as for the guards so many of them to me feel 3rd-4th round, not so much 2nd.    If they miss out on Walker, my next favorite is Pierce but i don't like him at 47.  I can go on and on with guys that I think are third round or perhaps late 2nd round worthy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise