Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Those of you concerned with this, can you provide me examples of when he was jammed in the slot that specifically worry you?

Sure...  if you first find me Desmond Howard college vids getting jammed and shutdown in his tHeismann year. Kidding aside no matter the tape life is MUCH harder for WRs vs NFL corners.  And lets be honest, the only highlights of WRs are their best plays. I don't know the names of all the corners he played against to find him getting jammed but I would venture a guess, he did get stuffed at the LOS at some points in his collegiate career.   How's his blocking?

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Ah ok. Yeah RAS means more for TE than any other position. 7 of the 10 top TEs in the league by PFF ratings at least have a RAS of at least 9. 8 of the 10 over 8. All over 7. 

We already have the best TE in the league, brochacho

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Sure...  if you first find me Desmond Howard college vids getting jammed and shutdown in his tHeismann hear. Kidding aside no matter the tape life is MUCH harder for WRs vs against NFL corners.  And lets be honest, the only highlights of WRs are their best plays. I don't know the names of all the corners he played against to find him getting jammed but I would venture a guess, he did get stuffed at the LOS at some points in his collegiate career.   How's his blocking?

If you only watch highlights, yes, you wouldn't see him jammed. But that's not how you should evaluate a prospect.

He's a willing blocker, small but scrappy. Not going to drive a guy 80 yards down field. 

Playing in the slot negates a lot of the jamming issues, though you can still be jammed. The probabilities are much less. I don't mean this to be a dick, so I hope you don't take it that way (though generally when someone says that sentence the person it's aimed towards thinks they are, in fact, being a dick... But I'm not) but you're aware of the yard or so depth off the LoS for a slot and how that creates space between the defender and the receiver, right?

There's not a ton of film on him getting jammed. But yes, he needs to improve against the jam. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Those of you concerned with this, can you provide me examples of when he was jammed in the slot that specifically worry you?

I think you and I are on the same page about this, but your wording above is part of why I didn’t like the pick. I wanted a true outside guy that would push Samuel back inside. 

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

I think you and I are on the same page about this, but your wording above is part of why I didn’t like the pick. I wanted a true outside guy that would push Samuel back inside. 

Well, yeah. I wanted London.

Or Williams if the medical was right.

But was it right? Not sure. And it's hard to fault the team.

I don't think Pierce, Watson are polished enough to warrant drafting there and there's no guarantee we get a real shot at them anyways.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Awesome but I doubt he's there

Linebackers drop on draft day?  🙏

He's the one guy I think I'd be fine going up and getting.  Swap a fourth for a fifth to do it?

I want to get him in the second, Bryant in the third, Allgeir and a lineman like Luke Fortner or one of those developmental tackles in the fourth, and one of the tight ends in the sixth.

• Like 2

I’m hoping the run on DTs starts soon and a team with a late 2nd or 3rd doesn’t get their guy and trading for Payne is the back up plan. I would rather trade Payne today for a 2nd or 3rd than get a crappy comp pick in 2024.

We are going to have to address DT depth in draft, FA, and/or UDFA regardless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Looks like Baltmore may be the team who offered that mid first for brown. Wonder if they would want Payne?

I doubt they'd give up picks we'd like for a guy about to get paid. They're running out of cap space themselves. I'm sure they'd love to have him though.

_________

At this point, I'm not expecting BHall or Walker. No Pierce either. No Gordon, Booth, or McCreary. No Pitre. 

Edited by duffy

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

If you only watch highlights, yes, you wouldn't see him jammed. But that's not how you should evaluate a prospect.

He's a willing blocker, small but scrappy. Not going to drive a guy 80 yards down field. 

Playing in the slot negates a lot of the jamming issues, though you can still be jammed. The probabilities are much less. I don't mean this to be a dick, so I hope you don't take it that way (though generally when someone says that sentence the person it's aimed towards thinks they are, in fact, being a dick... But I'm not) but you're aware of the yard or so depth off the LoS for a slot and how that creates space between the defender and the receiver, right?

There's not a ton of film on him getting jammed. But yes, he needs to improve against the jam. 

haha I know you are no richard dude you are always a class act and top poster here. But yeah I know slots get played off but then we used an 11OA for someone who'll likely fit best as a slot guy and a pair of ~4th rounders.  Is consensus here that we nailed the first round? I am trying to grade it compared to other commies first rounds moves historically (Jason Campbell, Kerrigan) and it just comes off as potentially botched. It didn't help to learn our pick wasn't even watching the draft.

4 minutes ago, duffy said:

I doubt they'd give up picks we'd like for a guy about to get paid. They're running out of cap space themselves. I'm sure they'd love to have him though.

_________

At this point, I'm not expecting BHall or Walker. No Pierce either. No Gordon, Booth, or McCreary. No Pitre. 

I could see that. I guess I am hoping them or tampa go all in this year and think he is the missing piece. I think your right thought no one is going to want to pay him.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, RandyHolt said:

haha I know you are no richard dude you are always a class act and top poster here. But yeah I know slots get played off but then we used an 11OA for someone who'll likely fit best as a slot guy and a pair of ~4th rounders.  Is consensus here that we nailed the first round? I am trying to grade it compared to other commies first rounds moves historically (Jason Campbell, Kerrigan) and it just comes off as potentially botched. It didn't help to learn our pick wasn't even watching the draft.

I think we nailed the player.

Did just okay on total value. I think we could have gotten a better haul, but if that's the offer that was out there then we pulled the trigger. so I'm not DOWN on it. Just not excited about it.

I think Williams would have be a real nice get, so I have to assume his medical wasn't great and the team didn't want to risk it on him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Sure...  if you first find me Desmond Howard college vids getting jammed and shutdown in his tHeismann year. Kidding aside no matter the tape life is MUCH harder for WRs vs NFL corners.  And lets be honest, the only highlights of WRs are their best plays. I don't know the names of all the corners he played against to find him getting jammed but I would venture a guess, he did get stuffed at the LOS at some points in his collegiate career.   How's his blocking?

This is simply not true. I posted a highlight reel in his welcome thread and you can see him beating the press there. He might be 5’11 but that’s mitigated by his wingspan 

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well, yeah. I wanted London.

Or Williams if the medical was right.

But was it right? Not sure. And it's hard to fault the team.

I don't think Pierce, Watson are polished enough to warrant drafting there and there's no guarantee we get a real shot at them anyways.

Agree with all of this. I will say that I’d rather have Christian Watson and something like a 2nd and a 4th for instance instead of Dotson and a late 3rd and a 4th. 

Love the idea of Nakobe Dean at 47. I don’t think he’s gonna fall though. 

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Linebackers drop on draft day?  🙏

He's the one guy I think I'd be fine going up and getting.  Swap a fourth for a fifth to do it?

I want to get him in the second, Bryant in the third, Allgeir and a lineman like Luke Fortner or one of those developmental tackles in the fourth, and one of the tight ends in the sixth.

Yeah me too, Nakobe's been one of my favorites in this draft forever.  It feels too good to be true, so don't want to get my hopes up.  😧

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Agree with all of this. I will say that I’d rather have Christian Watson and something like a 2nd and a 4th for instance instead of Dotson and a late 3rd and a 4th. 

Love the idea of Nakobe Dean at 47. I don’t think he’s gonna fall though. 

Where were we getting the second from, though?