Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wentz gets to play against the team that drafted him twice a year too.  I hope that Zampese and Turner get the most out of him.  I'd love to see Wentz be in the running for POY award.  One can hope and dream. :)  RR said he was going to get Wentz some weapons!  That will help Wentz along with Terry M., Samuel if healthy and hopefully a step up in Brown at WR too.  We got Bates and hopefully Thomas is healthy and we draft a TE as well that can contribute.  

• Like 3

I know we want to make our team better and draft for need but that does not seem to work in this draft. We need to get a player that plays for this organization for the next 10 years like a Chris Samuels or Champ Bailey. In this draft i like these players.

ikewanu

Neal

Cross-yes if he’s there grab him

Hutchinson

Gardner

Hamilton

Stingley-Depending on medical

If I can’t get those 7 I move back about 5-7 spots and take:

J Williams 

Linderbaum

Corral or Pickett

Penning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

That leaves Penning available for a team to trade up with us or another player.  Also, both Wilson and Olave are available at #11.  

Maybe trade down to 14 get back a 3 round pick.

Balt more takes penning

Minn takes Davis 

Houston takes Stingley 

We take Osu WR

• Like 1

If Hamilton is taken b4 pick 11, trade down scenarios I would like to see.

Trade down with Baltimore for 14, 76, 2023 4th

Trade down with Tampa Bay for 27, 60, 148, 2023 3rd

Trade with Cincinnati for 31, 136, 2023 6th

Washington updated draft board...

31, 47, 60, 76, 113, 139, 189, 230, 239, 248.

2023 3rd, 4th, 6th.

Must sign D. Williams OL in FA.

Must sign A. Johnson LB in FA

Draft

31-Jaquan Brisker S

47-Skyy Moore WR

60-Christian Harris LB

76-Jaylen Wydermeyer TE

Beyond that BPA.

IDK, just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d strongly consider taking 29,30 and 62 off the Chiefs for #11

Yes sir.  Question is their one guy that you would not trade down, if said player is avail @11.  For me its Hamilton, its K. Hamilton.

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d strongly consider taking 29,30 and 62 off the Chiefs for #11

Imagine 

29-C. Watson

30-J. Brisker

62-C.Harris

Edited by sebestian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

Me too.  That feels like a huge return.  Who would they trade up for in that scenario though?

Stingley/Hamilton/WR? 

Also, am I the only one here that would rather draft Stingley than Hamilton? Because, I think that’s where I stand. 

We literally just cut an instinctive player against the run that was in effect a box safety. Hamilton is surely better covering the short zones etc that Landon, but he’s also not a traditional coverage guy. Look back at the take of opposing coaches in the breakdown SIP posted. I think the best case scenario with Hamilton doesn’t move the needle that much for the team as a whole, in terms of wins/losses. Stingley’s best case scenario is what, Jalen Ramsey? I’ll take that shot. 

But I’d rather grab an impact WR. 

Considering that most playoff loses were because of special teams, I can't see any of those late drafting teams seeing anyone valuable enough.

Maybe secondary and with the Chiefs losing Matheau is certainly a priority position, but why trade up when they'll have Hill, Pitre and Cine sitting there, with another pick for an offensive weapon.

Mcshay new mock

4. New York Jets

Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State

The Jets have to find a true No. 1 receiver for second-year quarterback Zach Wilson, and a Wilson-Wilson connection could be fun to watch for a long time in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Garrett Wilson has elite body control and can regularly make contested plays downfield. New York's offensive skill position group -- which already includes wide receivers Corey Davis, Elijah Moore and Braxton Berrios, running back Michael Carter and tight end C.J. Uzomah -- could be sneaky good if its key players stay healthy and keep developing. And yes, it's yet another spot where an offensive tackle would make some sense, so don't be surprised if the Jets delay adding to the receiver room to lock in a potential upgrade on the line.

nyg.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

5. New York Giants

Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

New general manager Joe Schoen would be off to a really, really good start to his tenure if he gets this lucky. A run on pass-rushers to begin the draft leaves Ekwonu for the Giants at No. 5 overall. He brings versatility, power, length and quickness, and he'd be opposite Andrew Thomas to form a solid duo to keep NFC pass-rushers in check.

car.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

6. Carolina Panthers

Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

Simply put, coach Matt Rhule needs to win now and has one of the worst quarterback situations in the entire league. Sam Darnold will be a free agent next March, and he hasn't been much more effective for Carolina than he was for the Jets, if at all. Make no mistake, this is early for a QB in this year's weaker class, but the Panthers know they are running out of options and don't have another draft pick until Round 4.

Rhule recruited Pickett while he was Temple's coach, and Rhule has been locked into the signal-caller pro days this spring. Of the bunch, Pickett is the most NFL-ready quarterback available, and his fast processing ability, smooth pocket presence and excellent accuracy would elevate Carolina's offense. If the Panthers opt to explore other QB avenues, Evan Neal would be the obvious pick for one of the NFL's worst pass-blocking teams.

7. New York Giants (via CHI)

Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

The Giants already checked the offensive line box with Ekwonu, but Southern California wide receiver Drake London could help boost the offense. However, with some uncertainty around James Bradberry's future in the Big Apple, Cincinnati cornerback Ahmad Gardner would make sense. And while the top three pass-rushers are off the board, Florida State's Jermaine Johnson II fits. But the Giants' depth chart at safety is light, and adding someone with Hamilton's size, range and ball skills to the back end could change the way offenses game-plan for New York. Logan Ryan was released, and pairing Hamilton with Xavier McKinney (five interceptions and 10 passes defensed last season) would be an excellent last line of defense.

atl.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Drake London, WR, USC

The Falcons didn't do a whole lot to clean up a lackluster receiver room in free agency. They are currently relying on Olamide Zaccheaus and Damiere Byrd as their top two targets for new quarterback Marcus Mariota. We've only seen teams use top-10 picks on pass-catchers in back-to-back drafts three times since 1967 (Atlanta took tight end Kyle Pitts at No. 4 last April), but London is a perfect pick here. He is a former basketball player who can box out defensive backs and make tough, contested catches. London is returning from a right ankle fracture but should be ready to go for training camp.

As for the quarterback conundrum, Atlanta could address the future there with one of four picks on Day 2, wait until a more exciting signal-caller class in 2023 or execute some combination of both paths.

9. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)

Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

The rebuild is on in the Pacific Northwest, and the list of needs is long. The Seahawks seem ready to lean on Drew Lock at quarterback for a year, but that wouldn't necessarily take them out of the mix for Liberty's Malik Willis -- though I think they will wait until 2023 to bring in the long-term fix. And the edge rush remains problematic following free agency, meaning Jermaine Johnson II would certainly be on GM John Schneider's radar. But let's not forget that Seattle has a void at left tackle (Duane Brown is still unsigned), and successful rebuilds often start there. Neal is tough to get around, dominant in the run game and able to play multiple positions.

nyj.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

10. New York Jets (via SEA)

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

There are probably three realistic options here in this scenario: Gardner, Jermaine Johnson II or Mississippi State offensive tackle Charles Cross. But the chance to get Gardner -- my No. 5 overall prospect in the class -- is too good to ignore. The Jets signed D.J. Reed in free agency, and both Brandin Echols and Bryce Hall are capable starters. But Gardner is the definition of shutdown corner. Consider this: The Jets allowed 116 passing plays for at least 15 yards last season, the second most in the NFL; Gardner didn't allow that many yards in a single game all year.

wsh.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

11. Washington Commanders

Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

Let's get new Washington quarterback Carson Wentz a second high-end target beyond Terry McLaurin (who is potentially headed toward free agency next March). Olave is a smooth route runner with soft hands and excellent speed. Pairing him with McLaurin -- his former Ohio State teammate -- would immediately challenge NFC East defensive backs and open things up for Curtis Samuel out of the slot.

12. Minnesota Vikings

Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

Stingley is a tough evaluation. If Minnesota gets the 2019 version of his game, this is a steal at No. 12. But the injury-plagued uneven play we've seen over the past two years makes this pick risky. The Vikings still have a need at cornerback despite signing Patrick Peterson (who will turn 32 this summer), and there is no denying what Stingley is capable of doing on the field if he puts it all together. Stingley can wear a lot of different hats on defense, shows great instincts and has the ball skills and speed to lock down receivers. And the Vikings can let Peterson -- a fellow LSU alum -- help Stingley adjust to the pro game.

The interior of the defensive line is also a concern, and Georgia's Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt deserve some lengthy thought. But ultimately, I just think it's too early to go that route.

hou.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

13. Houston Texans (via CLE)

Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

Houston got its pass-rusher at No. 3 (Kayvon Thibodeaux), and now it can bring in an experienced pass-blocker to take the starting role opposite Laremy Tunsil. The Texans' 53.8% pass block win rate was No. 27 in the NFL last season, and they will need to improve if they want to get the most out of second-year quarterback Davis Mills. His 9.0 QBR under pressure in 2021 ranked 27th out of 31 qualified quarterbacks. Cross, meanwhile, is the best pass protector in the class. No player in college football has seen as many pass-block snaps over the past two years as Cross, and he only surrendered one sack in 2021. If Houston feels comfortable sliding him over to the right side, this would make a ton of sense.

bal.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

14. Baltimore Ravens

Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State

Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum would be a good pick after the Ravens lost Bradley Bozeman to free agency. But could the Ravens afford to ignore Johnson's fall out of the top 10 right into their lap at No. 14? They were in the bottom 10 last year in sacks (34), and only Tyus Bowser (seven sacks) and Odafe Oweh (five) made much of a dent there. Johnson had 12 sacks and 46 pressures at FSU in 2021, frequently using his quick feet, powerful hands and arsenal of pass-rush moves to overwhelm blockers. If Linderbaum does end up with the Ravens, I'd bet it comes after a trade down the Round 1 board.

phi.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

15. Philadelphia Eagles (via MIA)

Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington

The Eagles still have two picks in the first round following their Monday afternoon trade, and the first is an instinctive, hard-hitting corner. There isn't a better tackling cornerback in the entire class than McDuffie, and he has the speed to stay with receivers and limit big plays. With Darius Slay on the other side, Philadelphia could have one of the top CB duos in the league.

no.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

16. New Orleans Saints (via PHI/IND)

Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

Could the Saints be moving up for a quarterback? Maybe GM Mickey Loomis thinks Malik Willis or one of the other signal-callers can be a long-term answer, and a move like this suggests the possibility. But I get the sense that New Orleans believes it can challenge Tampa Bay for the NFC South right now, and this pick allows the Saints to attack some issues in the trenches.

Left tackle Terron Armstead signed with Miami in free agency, leaving James Hurst in a starting role. Penning is the last of the top-tier tackles on the board, and he makes a lot of sense as Armstead's replacement in protecting Jameis Winston. The 6-foot-7, 325-pounder is also an outstanding run-blocker, which would help spring ball carrier Alvin Kamara.

lac.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=truekc.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

TRADE: Chiefs move up for a pass-catcher

The Chargers pulled out the checkbook in free agency, improving just about every area of the defense. That spending included defensive tackles Austin Johnson and Sebastian Joseph-Day, which obviously alleviates some of the run-blocking worries. That's not to say Jordan Davis -- a mock favorite at No. 17 over the past two months -- won't be the move, but the Chargers could be looking to pivot to the offensive line after those signings. And with Trevor Penning off the board, they might try to move down and pick up extra draft capital.

The Chiefs, flush with picks, could be looking to get ahead of some receiver-seeking franchises, like the Eagles, Saints, Packers, Patriots and Titans. In this mock deal, the Chargers get two additional selections in the first three rounds: Nos. 29, 62 and 94. The Chiefs, meanwhile, get the wideout they want to replace Tyreek Hill at No. 17 and still have Nos. 30, 50 and 103 over the first two days.

kc.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

17. Kansas City Chiefs (via mock trade with LAC)

Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama

Williams tore his ACL in the national championship game, and his impact on the Chiefs' offense wouldn't come in Week 1. But there isn't a more explosive wide receiver in the class. He can take the top off the defense and run under any deep ball. Does that sound like a fit for a certain NFL team? Kansas City could feast on a Patrick Mahomes-Williams connection for a long time and keep pace with the AFC West's other rapidly improving teams.

phi.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

18. Philadelphia Eagles (via NO)

Devin Lloyd, ILB, Utah

Yes, the Eagles typically pass on off-ball linebackers in Round 1, but they need one, and Lloyd -- a potential immediate high-impact starter -- is sitting there on the board. A former safety, Lloyd flies all over the field and does a little bit of everything. He had 99 tackles, 18 tackles for loss and four interceptions last season.

Philly might be down one of its three first-rounders for this year after the deal with the Saints, but it picked up another Day 1 pick in 2023. If GM Howie Roseman decides that Jalen Hurts isn't the Eagles' guy after this season, he will have some early picks to go after Alabama's Bryce Young, Ohio State's C.J. Stroud or another passer.

no.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

19. New Orleans Saints (via PHI)

Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia

The Saints have a strong run defense, but defensive tackles David Onyemata and Shy Tuttle are only under contract for one more year, and Davis could really be a game-changer in the middle of the field. He is a space eater who wowed scouts at the combine with a 4.78-second 40-yard dash, 32-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-3 broad jump at 6-foot-6 and 341 pounds. If he can stay at that weight in the NFL, look out.

New Orleans also might be looking at wide receivers in this range. Penn State's Jahan Dotson fits, and Arkansas' Treylon Burks would provide a big target outside. I think it's probably a few picks too early for both, and the second round promises to have plenty of pass-catching options. I don't think the Saints let Davis get past them here.

pit.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

20. Pittsburgh Steelers

Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

All signs are pointing toward Pittsburgh drafting a quarterback, and in this scenario, it doesn't even have to move up to get one of the top two passers in the class. Willis is creative outside the pocket and has a rocket arm, and I actually have him ranked one spot ahead of Kenny Pickett at No. 21 on my board. With Mitch Trubisky on a one-year deal, there's no rush for Willis to play right away, and coach Mike Tomlin could develop Willis before turning over the keys. The AFC North is stacked at QB, but Willis has the upside to get the Steelers right back in the mix.

ne.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

21. New England Patriots

Nakobe Dean, ILB, Georgia

New England could use a spark in the middle of the defense. Dean might not have the measurables that NFL teams seek -- he is 5-foot-11 with shorter arms -- but his tape might be my favorite in the entire class because of his incredible effort on every play and the way he can impact the run defense, pass defense and pass rush on any given set of downs. I think he'd be a star in coach Bill Belichick's system.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33668299/nfl-mock-draft-2022-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-including-five-qbs-11-receivers-two-more-trades

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mcshay new mock

4. New York Jets

Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State

The Jets have to find a true No. 1 receiver for second-year quarterback Zach Wilson, and a Wilson-Wilson connection could be fun to watch for a long time in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Garrett Wilson has elite body control and can regularly make contested plays downfield. New York's offensive skill position group -- which already includes wide receivers Corey Davis, Elijah Moore and Braxton Berrios, running back Michael Carter and tight end C.J. Uzomah -- could be sneaky good if its key players stay healthy and keep developing. And yes, it's yet another spot where an offensive tackle would make some sense, so don't be surprised if the Jets delay adding to the receiver room to lock in a potential upgrade on the line.

5. New York Giants

Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

New general manager Joe Schoen would be off to a really, really good start to his tenure if he gets this lucky. A run on pass-rushers to begin the draft leaves Ekwonu for the Giants at No. 5 overall. He brings versatility, power, length and quickness, and he'd be opposite Andrew Thomas to form a solid duo to keep NFC pass-rushers in check.

car.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

6. Carolina Panthers

Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

Simply put, coach Matt Rhule needs to win now and has one of the worst quarterback situations in the entire league. Sam Darnold will be a free agent next March, and he hasn't been much more effective for Carolina than he was for the Jets, if at all. Make no mistake, this is early for a QB in this year's weaker class, but the Panthers know they are running out of options and don't have another draft pick until Round 4.

Rhule recruited Pickett while he was Temple's coach, and Rhule has been locked into the signal-caller pro days this spring. Of the bunch, Pickett is the most NFL-ready quarterback available, and his fast processing ability, smooth pocket presence and excellent accuracy would elevate Carolina's offense. If the Panthers opt to explore other QB avenues, Evan Neal would be the obvious pick for one of the NFL's worst pass-blocking teams.

7. New York Giants (via CHI)

Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

The Giants already checked the offensive line box with Ekwonu, but Southern California wide receiver Drake London could help boost the offense. However, with some uncertainty around James Bradberry's future in the Big Apple, Cincinnati cornerback Ahmad Gardner would make sense. And while the top three pass-rushers are off the board, Florida State's Jermaine Johnson II fits. But the Giants' depth chart at safety is light, and adding someone with Hamilton's size, range and ball skills to the back end could change the way offenses game-plan for New York. Logan Ryan was released, and pairing Hamilton with Xavier McKinney (five interceptions and 10 passes defensed last season) would be an excellent last line of defense.

atl.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Drake London, WR, USC

The Falcons didn't do a whole lot to clean up a lackluster receiver room in free agency. They are currently relying on Olamide Zaccheaus and Damiere Byrd as their top two targets for new quarterback Marcus Mariota. We've only seen teams use top-10 picks on pass-catchers in back-to-back drafts three times since 1967 (Atlanta took tight end Kyle Pitts at No. 4 last April), but London is a perfect pick here. He is a former basketball player who can box out defensive backs and make tough, contested catches. London is returning from a right ankle fracture but should be ready to go for training camp.

As for the quarterback conundrum, Atlanta could address the future there with one of four picks on Day 2, wait until a more exciting signal-caller class in 2023 or execute some combination of both paths.

9. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)

Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

The rebuild is on in the Pacific Northwest, and the list of needs is long. The Seahawks seem ready to lean on Drew Lock at quarterback for a year, but that wouldn't necessarily take them out of the mix for Liberty's Malik Willis -- though I think they will wait until 2023 to bring in the long-term fix. And the edge rush remains problematic following free agency, meaning Jermaine Johnson II would certainly be on GM John Schneider's radar. But let's not forget that Seattle has a void at left tackle (Duane Brown is still unsigned), and successful rebuilds often start there. Neal is tough to get around, dominant in the run game and able to play multiple positions.

nyj.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

10. New York Jets (via SEA)

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

There are probably three realistic options here in this scenario: Gardner, Jermaine Johnson II or Mississippi State offensive tackle Charles Cross. But the chance to get Gardner -- my No. 5 overall prospect in the class -- is too good to ignore. The Jets signed D.J. Reed in free agency, and both Brandin Echols and Bryce Hall are capable starters. But Gardner is the definition of shutdown corner. Consider this: The Jets allowed 116 passing plays for at least 15 yards last season, the second most in the NFL; Gardner didn't allow that many yards in a single game all year.

wsh.png?w=110&;h=110&transparent=true

11. Washington Commanders

Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

Let's get new Washington quarterback Carson Wentz a second high-end target beyond Terry McLaurin (who is potentially headed toward free agency next March). Olave is a smooth route runner with soft hands and excellent speed. Pairing him with McLaurin -- his former Ohio State teammate -- would immediately challenge NFC East defensive backs and open things up for Curtis Samuel out of the slot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33668299/nfl-mock-draft-2022-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-including-five-qbs-11-receivers-two-more-trades

Oof, that's rough. I really think Olave is a reach at 11. In that scenario my first instinct would be to see if anyone would trade up for Willis. If no takers there, I'd probably take Lloyd at 11 before taking Olave at 11.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sebestian said:

Outlandish draft trade scenario, but interesting know the less.

Commanders Mock Draft: Washington makes massive trade in first round (riggosrag.com)

Oh man, I would take this 100/100. I know you're moving out of elite territory but the allure of adding a 2023 1st (albeit a late 1st), while adding 2 picks in the Top 100 would be too hard to pass up. Burks falls in a lot of these mocks right around to this territory. I don't have faith he'll be there given who needs WRs ahead of #31, but you'll have a chance to grab a WR in the 2nd too. I like Christian Watkins there at #31 even if it's a bit early. Too much upside. Metchie in the mid to late 2nd.

The appeal of being able to add 4 guys in the Top 100 picks in a pretty deep draft would be fun. You aren't going to hit on all 4, but you just need to hit on 2-3 to make it a good trade, given you're gonna have 2 1sts in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Me too.  That feels like a huge return.  Who would they trade up for in that scenario though?

I just forced the trade on the PFN simulator (had to just throw in our 1st next year to make the trade go through, so it's unlikely to happen). Bengals took Charles Cross.

There weren't any WRs worth taking on that run at #29. Took Brisker and honestly had to reach on Chanel. By pick #63 he was the top LB available and ranked #82 prospect, but didn't want to risk missing out on him. Conversely, Andersen the LB out of Montana State was there at #113, so I could have gone elsewhere at #63 and not forced the pick. I'll run a few more and see what I get.

image.png.2f49c62f6195e9541649e1389e40a29a.png

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Oof, that's rough. I really think Olave is a reach at 11. In that scenario my first instinct would be to see if anyone would trade up for Willis. If no takers there, I'd probably take Lloyd at 11 before taking Olave at 11.

In the simulators, now more than a couple weeks ago, I'm getting offers for #11 to move back into the 14-18 range, rather than offers to move way back into Round 1. Was just offered 14 and a 3rd from Baltimore. I was also offered 16 and a 2nd from New Orleans. I likely would have taken the 16 and 2nd from Saints, but was running the Bengals trade back scenario.

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

Wentz gets to play against the team that drafted him twice a year too.  I hope that Zampese and Turner get the most out of him.  I'd love to see Wentz be in the running for POY award.  One can hope and dream. :)  RR said he was going to get Wentz some weapons!  That will help Wentz along with Terry M., Samuel if healthy and hopefully a step up in Brown at WR too.  We got Bates and hopefully Thomas is healthy and we draft a TE as well that can contribute.  

Man...I'm getting tired of watching other organizations procure multiple high draft picks for themselves and overall, just making shrewd draft moves and keeping an eye on their draft futures.

The Skins always seem to outthink themselves in these situations, stay put and ride a player until he's nothing but bones before cutting him or simply tagging the player and losing him when they could have gotten high picks for him (when it was obvious he wouldn't be on the team in the near future).  This has happened over multiple regimes and I was hoping RR's regime would turn this around.  There's time for them to prove themselves more savvy, but we'll see.   Sadly, I fully expect the Eagles to be a serious contender for a SB before we are.  To quote Ron: "I really do".

I appreciate Ron's candor when talking about Year 3 though.  He doesn't run away from pressure and expectations.  Plenty of coaches skirt around that issue but Ron openly embraces that mandate that they should take a big leap in Year 3.  I respect that so much.  It's quite refreshing.

I'll say that now there are zero excuses (aside for the normal horrific number of injuries we routinely have) for this team not to win at least 11 games this year.  Going off of Ron's own assessments of our team and its strengths plus having the easiest schedule in the league, 11 wins should absolutely be the baseline expectation of this team.  Not squeaking out a 9-10 win season but firmly taking at least 11 wins.

What makes me anxious is that whenever this organization is in place (and it isn't often, granted) where higher expectations are absolutely warranted, we come up short, no matter the coach.  Whether it's chemistry issues, injuries, coaches losing too many chess games on Sundays or simply not being able to get the guys prepared until the season is on the brink of disaster, it's always something.  It would not surprise me whatsoever for this team to fall short this year.  There's zero reason for it aside from injuries, but I can see it happening.  

I hope for Ron's sake that he finally figures out how to get his team ready to start the year.  That's been a recurring problem with him and he needs to figure it out this offseason.  Actually playing his starters for a meaningful amount of time and not trying to hide them from injury would go a long way.  

This time, Bengals offered me 1/2/3 and a future 2 for #11. Came up to take Enwonu. Again, no WRs or LBs worth taking there at #29 so got Brisker again. He seems to be the most likely BPA+need match at that stage almost every time I'm picking late 1st. Fortunately, passing on Watson at #29 and #47 did not bite me. He was there at #63.

image.png.437b19783467f5b80dbd227488896e31.png

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thanks 1

If I'm moving all the way down to 31 I absolutely must get a future 1st. With that said, a future 1 from the Bengals isn't that valuable because they're going to be contenders, but its still ammunition to work with I guess.

I don't love the idea of missing out on all the prime WRs sliding all the way down to 31 though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can definitiely see Anderson as maybe the guy in the 2nd

He was also runner up for the William V. Campbell Trophy, also known as the academic Heisman. 

He’s bigger than Bobby Wagner and ran better both in the 40 and the agility drills. His jumping was just a little less explosive. He’s been my pick at 47 for about a week. 

But, do you think he’s going to be there? I’m starting to think he’s going to be gone before the 15th pick in the second round. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Stingley/Hamilton/WR? 

Also, am I the only one here that would rather draft Stingley than Hamilton? Because, I think that’s where I stand. 

We literally just cut an instinctive player against the run that was in effect a box safety. Hamilton is surely better covering the short zones etc that Landon, but he’s also not a traditional coverage guy. Look back at the take of opposing coaches in the breakdown SIP posted. I think the best case scenario with Hamilton doesn’t move the needle that much for the team as a whole, in terms of wins/losses. Stingley’s best case scenario is what, Jalen Ramsey? I’ll take that shot. 

But I’d rather grab an impact WR. 

I think the draft gets too hard when you start weighting position as heavily as you're doing here.  Remember the first and most difficult challenge to address in the draft is drafting a hit.  I like to look ahead to secondary variables like position value in the event of best case scenario career outcomes too, but we always have to come back to BPA in order to address the first challenge of just picking a guy who will likely be a hit.  I would pick Hamilton over Stingley or the WRs because he would definitely be BPA for me in those situations.  For me, he's a tier 1 player in this class while Stingley and the WRs are tier 2 players at best.  Leadership is a major argument in favor of Hamilton too, as I can definitely see him being a leader.  I can definitely see Olave and London being leaders.  Stingley is absolutely not a leader, he practically quit on LSU this year, and I can see our fanbase turning on him pretty quickly because I saw similar frustration coming from the LSU fan.

If we think Hamilton can be a player who puts up six or seven 13+ AV seasons in the best case outcome, then we've got to draft him despite his very low position value.  In the grand scheme of building a competitive team, a 13 AV per year player at a low value position is still a way more valuable player than a 7 AV player at a high value position.  It means you've got a foundation player that you can design schemes around, and that you're basically never looking to spend any more resources on upgrading while they are healthy and under contract whereas a 7 AV player is someone you will still be looking to upgrade in the offseason.  But even just getting a 7 AV player is pretty tough, and for me, Hamilton has a better chance of reaching that threshold than Stingley or the WRs because I think he is more talented. 

More than anything, I think being a good football team is a numbers game, and the real key to teambuilding is getting as many good players on your roster as possible.  My estimate is that there are about 30 roster spots that get regularly used by healthy teams during games, and if you can fill half of those spots with legitimately good players--even if you aren't filling all of the really high value positions--then you've almost certainly got a playoff team.  So the game becomes acquiring that many good players, which means sticking BPA in the draft to increase your chance of getting hits.

You've identified a second concern with Hamilton that is a separate argument against him from position value.  I didn't really understand what that coach meant by him not being a natural coverage guy, and I wish he had been more clear.  I could certainly be wrong, but I think his coverage skills are actually pretty strong and I love him as a deep half and underneath zone defender + I love his potential to single cover tight ends.  He's so smart and athletic, I think these parts of his game will eventually become really big strengths.  Single covering really twitchy slot receivers or single deep zone coverage I could see being a big struggle for him given his size.  I just wouldn't use him that way, and guys like Fuller and McCain would be much better suited to that kind of role anyway.

Finding a great role might be more challenging for Hamilton than other players, and it's not something that should be taken for granted since Arizona has struggled to do this with a comparable talent in Isaiah Simmons.  But I think we can do it.  I'm not a coach or coordinator, I have no creativity or experience but I can see him making big plays from buffalo nickel positioning.  I can see him being an asset in two-deep because of his range to get back into position to fit a run from depth.  I want us to be able to one gap our DLs because they are a bit undersized but are super explosive, and I think Hamilton is a back end weapon that gives you front end flexibility.

• Like 1