Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

In five years when Hamilton is raking in All Pros after being drafted like 18th we're gonna look back and wonder WTF was everyone thinking?

Not if we move up to #1 to draft him...

giphy.gif

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You seem to be suggesting I am overplaying the hype on Hamilton?  If so, I don't think I am.  I am a media junkie, I listen/watch and read everything I can get my hands on about the draft, I've been doing it for years and yeah I don't recall this level hype on a safety in a long time.  Nothing ordinary to me about it in the context of a safety.   It reminds me a lot of the Kyle Pitts hype where the narrative is yeah you don't take a TE typically top 10 but Pitts is super unique, special for that spot where you make an exception.  With Hamilton its almost the identical plot line, told in a different way in the context of the safety postion.  IMHO the Pitts narrative was deserved.  The Hamilton narrative IMHO somewhat overplayed.  

https://nypost.com/2022/03/27/safety-kyle-hamilton-is-unicorn-who-may-defy-nfl-draft-logic/

Safety Kyle Hamilton is ‘unicorn’ who could make teams defy NFL draft logic

“Normally I’d say this is too high for a safety,” ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr said, “but Hamilton is a unique and special defender.”

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 12.53.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 12.53.48 PM.png

At pick 11, 40 time or not you should take him. To much potential to pass up and fills position of need. I like the Utah LB and the Wr but this is potential superstar watching him in college. I don't think he will be there but rumors are starting to make it look like he will be. Someone will drop to us 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don't think you're overplaying it. But when you read as much as you do you're going to see alot of it from all sides. Most people that aren't as in tune as you are with the draft analytical folks aren't touting him as a God.

I don't doubt you're seeing a lot of it from the media. But we see that every year.

I wasn't as high on Lawrence or Young as many here were. I thought they were both talented and had warts. I bring that up now because that seems to be exactly what's going on with you and Hamilton. You like him. Think he's going to be a player but not some generational guy.

I think that's a good spot to be in with him. 

Agree.   I am not in a bad place with Hamilton.  I like him.  😀   My best analogy I can think of is multiple friends hyping a move before you see it, their excitement adds to your expectations.  Then you actually watch the movie and you like it a lot but the overhype before seeing it made you also feel a little let down. 

From what I observed there is a little push back on Hamilton from the draft media, especially after the combine.  But by and large its mostly gushing. The reason why Matt Miller, who is part of the draft media said from what he's learning scouts aren't as high on Hamilton as the draft media is because its not hard to miss that draft media is VERY high on Hamilton. they seem smitten by him.  There isn't a lot of divergence on him.  There is a little from what I observed but not a heck of a lot.   The most divergence I see comes from just some mocks where he falls but most of those same mock drafters highlighted that he shouldn't fall but they suggest because he is a safety he might.

I've watched a ton of prospects for this draft.  I got a lot further to go.  But Hamilton stuck out in my mind because the hype was higher than what I am accustomed to for the run of the mill projected top 10 pick -- especially for a safety.  I was a big Derwin James and Minkah guy years ago before that draft and they got their share of hype but I don't recall it being at the level that Hamilton is getting. 

As I said though my main point here isn't to express my feelings about Hamilton.  It's to make the point that I don't think it's some wild pipe dream that he falls to 11.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

In five years when Hamilton is raking in All Pros after being drafted like 18th we're gonna look back and wonder WTF was everyone thinking?

Maybe.  As far as him raking All Pros, why do you think he's a perennial All Pro player?  I haven't thought that deep about it so I don't have a strong opinion on that thought, yet.  But perennial All Pro is pretty deep so wondering why do you think he's that level elite?

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Meh, this could be said about many picks though. What if we pick Hamilton and in five years Lloyd is raking in All Pros after being picked at 18 and Hamilton is a good but not great Safety?

• Like 1

Just watched Hamilton against Purdue. Never saw that one.

His situational awareness is high end. NFL instincts for sure. I loved that they have him playing essentially that hybrid flex spot as well as safety. Good anticipation in the secondary. I really enjoy how he uses his length as a tackler and as a pass defender. Lots of tipped balls. 

He’s got the goods. Teams shouldn’t overthink him. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, method man said:

Lets not make any excuses for his 40. It actually matters a lot at FS. How many starting FSs in the NFL have run a 4.7 40? I would think the answer is zero.

But his combine time was 4.59 or something right? Why are we freaking out about him beeing hand timed at 4.7 at a pro day? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

His situational awareness is high end. NFL instincts for sure. I loved that they have him playing essentially that hybrid flex spot as well as safety. Good anticipation in the secondary. I really enjoy how he uses his length as a tackler and as a pass defender. Lots of tipped balls. 

Agreed. Can’t say I delve into the detail like several of you do on here, so it’s always good to get that varied opinion.

My limited take away from watching some of Hamilton was the situational awareness, anticipation of where the play was going, closing speed to the ball. All looked great to me. Just high impact play. 

I think he’s going top 5 unless you get an unexpected set of QB moves like Willis at 2 and Carolina moving up to secure Pickett at 3.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe.  As far as him raking All Pros, why do you think he's a perennial All Pro player?  I haven't thought that deep about it so I don't have a strong opinion on that thought, yet.  But perennial All Pro is pretty deep so wondering why do you think he's that level elite?

His instincts are tremendous. This isn't a William Jackson like complete dumb dumb. This guy is a football genius. There hasn't been a Safety with this kind of feel for the game since Ed Reed(who also was drafted LATE in the 1st round and wasn't looked as as some athletic marvel). Then couple that with his size and athleticism. Yeah he might lack raw straight line speed, but he'll never take the wrong angles or bite on double moves or anything like that. 

If he's there at 11 we can't pass him up. A Hamilton/Curl Safety duo with a DL built around Young and Allen and hopefully a developing Holcomb/Davis LB duo can be a dominant modern day defense. 

• Like 4

Rivera is not always the most cagy dude.  He's typically super honest.

The Holcomb comment today might have been BS.  But, just judging by podcasts it gives me the impression that there are two competiting thoughts they might be having.

A.  Pick Lloyd at 11.  Reason why I think its in play because of how repetitive Keim has been mentioning Lloyd over and over again. Reminds me of all the times we heard the name Payne before we took him in the draft.

B.  Take a WR at 11 or trade down and take one.  We've heard that Rivera is higher on the Wrs in house than fans/media are.  But at the same time, they just put a lot of eggs on Wentz.  Rivera isn't stupid, he would look really good if Wentz looked good.  Also, its not hard to see that Rivera is very aware of the media coverage this team gets and the local media and national media were pretty brutal as to judging the Wentz trade.  

Keim has mentioned the desire to trade down multiple times.  Then we got the time Rivera spent with Olave at the Ohio State pro day.  An Ohio State reporter said it was noticeable because he spent more time with one player than most coaches did.  And it looked to him that Rivera was following up with Olave from a previous conversation, came off like they have a little bond going. 

I've mentioned before it wouldn't shock me if Rivera ends up taking a WR and TE.    And personally while I love Lloyd I am also cool with taking a receiver.

I think I am closest on the aggregate to @KDawg's position on what I'd do.   That is, Lloyd, Hamilton or Drake London or another WR. 

My only difference is I am more OK I believe than he is with trading down.  But yeah while I share @Going Commando and @Koolblue13 passion for Lloyd.   I am actually higher on the idea than they are about taking a WR in the first.  I am not really married to it but am not opposed to it either.  And I really dig the top 4 WRs in this draft.    Too bad Jameson Williams isn't healthy -- if he were he'd be my top guy.  But I do love Drake London.  I am really intrigued with Wilson and Olave and to a lesser extent Burks.   

While I get the idea of the next tier isn't a mile away.  I do think there is a good shot that C. Watson, Skyy Moore and Dotson are gone before our pick in the 2nd.   With those guys gone, I do like Alec Pierce a lot and Calvin Austin though the mid 2nd might be a little high for those guys.  

But I am intrigued with loading up Wentz with weapons.  Wentz might need a confidence booster after what went down.  He also has the arm to make big plays so surrounding him with big playmakers IMO has a level of intrigue to it.  

Look at strong armed but imperfect QBs like Josh Allen and Stafford when you surround them with weapons, they blossomed. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera is not always the most cagy dude.  He's typically super honest.

The Holcomb comment today might have been BS.  But, just judging by podcasts it gives me the impression that there are two competiting thoughts they might be having.

A.  Pick Lloyd at 11.  Reason why I think its in play because of how repetitive Keim has been mentioning Lloyd over and over again. Reminds me of all the times we heard the name Payne before we took him in the draft.

B.  Take a WR at 11 or trade down and take one.  We've heard that Rivera is higher on the Wrs in house than fans/media are.  But at the same time, they just put a lot of eggs on Wentz.  Rivera isn't stupid, he would look really good if Wentz looked good.  Also, its not hard to see that Rivera is very aware of the media coverage this team gets and the local media and national media were pretty brutal as to judging the Wentz trade.  

Keim has mentioned the desire to trade down multiple times.  Then we got the time Rivera spent with Olave at the Ohio State pro day.  An Ohio State reporter said it was noticeable because he spent more time with one player than most coaches did.  And it looked to him that Rivera was following up with Olave from a previous conversation, came off like they have a little bond going. 

I've mentioned before it wouldn't shock me if Rivera ends up taking a WR and TE.    And personally while I love Lloyd I am also cool with taking a receiver.

I think I am closest on the aggregate to @KDawg's position on what I'd do.   That is, Lloyd, Hamilton or Drake London or another WR. 

My only difference is I am more OK I believe than he is with trading down.  But yeah while I share @Going Commando and @Koolblue13 passion for Lloyd.   I am actually higher on the idea than they are about taking a WR in the first.  I am not really married to it but am not opposed to it either.  And I really dig the top 4 WRs in this draft.    Too bad Jameson Williams isn't healthy -- if he were he'd be my top guy.  But I do love Drake London.  I am really intrigued with Wilson and Olave and to a lesser extent Burks.   

While I get the idea of the next tier isn't a mile away.  I do there is a good shot that C. Watson and Dotson are gone before our pick in the 2nd.   With those guys gone, I do like Alec Pierce a lot.  Skyy Moore and Calvin Austin.  

But I am intrigued with loading up Wentz with weapons.  Wentz might need a confidence booster after what went down.  He also have the arm to make big plays so surrounding him with big playmakers IMO has a level of intrigue to it.  

Look at strong arm but imperfect QBs like Josh Allen and Stafford when you surround them with weapons, they blossomed. 

I have Olave on my wishlist but my list is more about who I think they will pick rather than who I like but also mixed in a bit of who I liked.  Make sense.  I think they can trade down a few spots.  Baltimore being the prime candidate.  We'd want a 3rd but there would have to be a player their at #11 they would want and like.  I don't think we can go any lower because if we did the Eagles would pounce on Olave, JMO.  IF the trade happened, we'd then have #14, our swapped pick w/Colts at #47, the Ravens 3rd rounder #76 and our 4th rounder #113.  This would allow us to go with a speedy WR and I think Wilson, whom I like a bit better than Olave overall will be selected before #11.  So, Olave as weapon #1 starting with our draft.  Thus:

#14:  Olave, WR

#47:  Muma, Chenal, LB

#76:  Greg Dulcich, TE or Carson Strong QB

#113:  Yusuf Corker, S

I didn't go any further as those picks would cover the biggest holes we have, I believe at this time.  CB is another big hole.  I think even if they can't trade down they still take Olave at #11 as a weapon for Wentz.  Then I think it would look more like:

#113. Yusuf Corker, S

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hamilton is the most ideal pick in a way filling S and LB early need. As a result he is my #1 hope although I am really want Sauce or Lloyd.

I think they go WR and my # 1 WR has been Wilson.

Perhaps Olave is getting attention because of Terry... If there is a run he would go early.

I find where the 1st 2 QB's go the most interesting picks...the earlier the better!

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I have Olave on my wishlist but my list is more about who I think they will pick rather than who I like but also mixed in a bit of who I liked.  Make sense.  I think they can trade down a few spots.  Baltimore being the prime candidate.  We'd want a 3rd but there would have to be a player their at #11 they would want and like.  I don't think we can go any lower because if we did the Eagles would pounce on Olave, JMO.  IF the trade happened, we'd then have #14, our swapped pick w/Colts at #47, the Ravens 3rd rounder #76 and our 4th rounder #113.  This would allow us to go with a speedy WR and I think Wilson, whom I like a bit better than Olave overall will be selected before #11.  So, Olave as weapon #1 starting with our draft.  Thus:

#76:  Greg Dulcich, TE or Carson Strong QB

#113:  Yusuf Corker, S

I didn't go any further as those picks would cover the biggest holes we have, I believe at this time.  CB is another big hole.  

That is solid RWJ. All good fits. Wish we could pull in both options at 76

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

KDawg, his worst game supposedly came against Cincinnati per TDN.  Did you look at that one to see why?

31 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

I will say that based on our mock draft, I see a lot more quality LBs left later than I do WRs and particularly FSs.

FWIW.

Who do you got?  Names at those positions.  Just curious. 

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Who do you got?  Names at those positions.  Just curious. 

I'd rather not say since they are still undrafted in our mock, but if you check our draft so far and run it up against lists at the positions, you'll start seeing some names pop up I'm sure.

• Confused 1