Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

4 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

So, Carson Strong at #11?

I may be Carson Strong's biggest fan here, I was hoping we could at the very least sneak down further in the draft and get him while Corral, Howell, Willis, & Pickett go.  Unfortunately I think people are starting to see what I saw with him.  He's likely to be QB1 or QB2 off the board and more than likely gone before we pick so long as the medicals check out 😑

Edited by thelongestbreath

7 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I may be Carson Strong's biggest fan here, I was hoping we could at the very least sneak down further in the draft and get him while Corral, Howell, Willis, & Pickett go.  Unfortunately I think people are starting to see what I saw with him.  He's likely to be QB1 or QB2 off the board and more than likely gone before we pick so long as the medicals check out 😑

Not sure who is his biggest fan.  But I've watched every game I could in real time for Strong's last season starting with game 1 and posted about it back then at the time and continued to on and off during the season.  So I've been on a longish journey with Strong.  I've talked plenty about him.  In short, love his arm, touch, accuracy -- his mobility concerned me.  but I posted here over a week ago a longish interview that I watched from him that explained why he was limited on that front during the season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I'll share the mantle for Carson Strong fan club...I just know I've posted a crap ton on Twitter to laughter and jokes about Carson Strong and I've just patiently been waiting for them all to eat crow.  Not sure how anyone who's watched tape couldn't see he's the best qb in this draft aside from his medicals.  I'll never turn away another fan!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thelongestbreath said:

I'll share the mantle for Carson Strong fan club...I just know I've posted a crap ton on Twitter to laughter and jokes about Carson Strong and I've just patiently been waiting for them all to eat crow.  Not sure how anyone who's watched tape couldn't see he's the best qb in this draft aside from his medicals.  I'll never turn away another fan!

Well personally I think mobility in todays game is just way too valuable to not have. He was worse than Mac was last year. I loved his ability to throw but he was on my Do not draft list. If he can move to an average to above average player hes a first rounder. Do not want otherwise.

2 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

Not sure how anyone who's watched tape couldn't see he's the best qb in this draft aside from his medicals.  I'll never turn away another fan!

Meh :) 

I pegged him as being the likeliest one to rise of the bunch, but for me, I'm still taking Pickett or Howell over him as of now. 

• Like 1

I need to see Strong hit the intermediate area in the middle of the field.  He seems to hug the sidelines with his targets unless it's short.  Shallow crossers or hooks in the middle of the field?  Sure.  Digs and deeper crossers in the middle?  Wasn't seeing any.

Might not be anything, and might have just been some weird coincidence when I watched.  Or maybe coverage confuses him and he tries to identify 1v1's away from the meat of the defense?

I'd love to see more cutups of him though.

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Well personally I think mobility in todays game is just way too valuable to not have. He was worse than Mac was last year. I loved his ability to throw but he was on my Do not draft list. If he can move to an average to above average player hes a first rounder. Do not want otherwise.

I know it's the  "it" thing in the NFL for qbs to be able to be a duel threat QB, put me in the traditional group where I want my QB working from the pocket dissecting a defense while being able to maneuver to avoid hits.  Everytime a qb scrambles you risk a Dak Prescott or Joe Burrow injury, the game is set up to protect it's QBs inside a pocket.  This team had the sixth best line in the league, why not use it.

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Meh :) 

I pegged him as being the likeliest one to rise of the bunch, but for me, I'm still taking Pickett or Howell over him as of now. 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion...even if it's wrong 😉

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

They just showed a contingent of Commanders coaches/scouts at the Senior Bowl.  Looks like about 10 guys headed up by Hurney and Turner.

This would make it 3(?) years in a row we've done that I think.  It doesn't happen much during the season, so the Senior Bowl is a way for the coaches and scout team to get on the same page for what they want, what they're looking for, scheme changes they're hoping for, etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I know it's the  "it" thing in the NFL for qbs to be able to be a duel threat QB, put me in the traditional group where I want my QB working from the pocket dissecting a defense while being able to maneuver to avoid hits

Yes they need to be able to work from within the pocket but the threat of a forcing an 11v11 game instead of the 10v11 is just too important. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Yes they need to be able to work from within the pocket but the threat of a forcing an 11v11 game instead of the 10v11 is just too important. 

Added bonus with potential of unnecessary risk.  It really comes down to preference, I'll err on the side of traditional qb play while you back the new generation style.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Chad Muma is standing out, big time. I think he's going to be an early second rounder and he is going to make an impact.

He'd start for us day 1 at Mike. 

McShay was talking him up on the recent First Draft podcast. Says he came in as a freshman with pro's mentality

1 hour ago, thelongestbreath said:

Added bonus with potential of unnecessary risk.  It really comes down to preference, I'll err on the side of traditional qb play while you back the new generation style.

The vast majority of serious QB injuries come in the pocket. I think the injury risk with mobile QBs is overstated, personally. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The vast majority of serious QB injuries come in the pocket. I think the injury risk with mobile QBs is overstated, personally. 

I'd honestly love to see a study done on it but I'm not saying injuries can't happen in the pocket.  I'd just like to not add risk to it every time my QB takes off.  Maybe it's from watching Burrow, Dak, RG3, Rodgers, etc that's left me "shell shocked" with it and it's over blown.  I still take Carson Strong as the first QB off the board 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

So, Carson Strong at #11?

Not if Willis or Pickett are on the board.  But he would be in the mix as QB3 for me.  I liked his value a lot more as a potential second rounder though.

55 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I'd honestly love to see a study done on it but I'm not saying injuries can't happen in the pocket.  I'd just like to not add risk to it every time my QB takes off.  Maybe it's from watching Burrow, Dak, RG3, Rodgers, etc that's left me "shell shocked" with it and it's over blown.  I still take Carson Strong as the first QB off the board 🤷‍♂️

Strong is the one with the devastating knee injury in his history though.  If anyone is the most likely to suffer another one, it's him.

• Like 1