Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to watch Willis more.   

Well this guy is really high on Willis and has us picking him. 

From: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-nfl-mock-draft-mds-october-2/

13) Washington Football Team: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Make no mistake, Malik Willis has and continues to be my QB1 for this year’s NFL Draft. Possessing a cannon for an arm, Willis continues adding touch passes to his arsenal as well. He also brings great athleticism that Washington will love.

There isn’t a throw that Willis can’t make, and while his team struggled this past weekend against UL Monroe, there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s still the best quarterback in this draft.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like Curtis Samuel's raw talent but 1000 all purpose yards and 8 AV is the current high water mark for him and that is good but not particularly special.  And he's only managed it in one season.  You can justify his salary if you buy into him as an ascending talent, but not if 2020 stays his high water mark.  And at any rate, so far he has been a bust of a signing as he has barely been able to practice, much less play and produce.  Banking on him as part of a suitable skill group for a rookie QBs development would be a big roster building mistake.  You have to treat him like an unknown and go out and get a real second receiver of legit high quality if you want to build a stable of weapons like the explosive offenses have.

I think this board slightly overrates McLaurin, but it's a difference of thinking he's top ten vs top 25.  Either way, he's fine and deserves a long term commitment.  What I'm not sure about at all are Gibson and Thomas.  Thomas is passable now because he's cheap, but I don't see him as being a quality starter, nor a high upside prospect like a Kmet or Tremble.  I would absolutely be looking for an upgrade to our TE group.  And Gibson hasn't developed this season.  He actually looks like he's regressed as a runner, and he's been outplayed by McKissic.  He hasn't taken the big step forward into stardom that many were taking for granted.  I don't think we just need another RB, I think we need a high quality starter and that Gibson should be relegated to McKissic's change of pace role.  IMO a high powered offense would feature a better lead back than him.

And as far as our receiving and TE prospects go, the most charitable take on them so far is that they are mid and late round prospects who've provided minimal return on minimal investment.  It's starting to feel like we went through two historic receiver classes in a row and came away with nothing from them.

I just don't see how you all can look at the teams who have been the most successful at developing their young QB prospects: Arizona, Kansas City, Buffalo, Baltimore, San Diego, Cincinnati--or the teams who have loaded up on weapons for their vet QBs like Tampa, LA, Green Bay, Seattle, and Tennessee and think, "yeah we're close to that." We are not at all close to having that kind of quality, and we don't have any prospects with elite pedigree or upside either.  We're not even average, and again, average isn't the goal when you're developing a QB prospect. You have to stack the deck for them.

Agree. 

Though I think McLaurin is top 15 in the league.

We have one All-Pro and a potential pro bowl receiver. That is the extent of our high end talent. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agree. 

Though I think McLaurin is top 15 in the league.

We have one All-Pro and a potential pro bowl receiver. That is the extent of our high end talent. 

I'd say Curl is borderline pro-bowler. He's amazing on the field. He might just be the best defensive player we have

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I'd say Curl is borderline pro-bowler. He's amazing on the field. He might just be the best defensive player we have

I was talking about the offense.

I'd agree that Curl is one of our best defensive players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-nfl-mock-draft-mds-october-2/

This has us taking the first QB. Willis at 13, which would be great. 

I like Willis a lot as well. But I hate his throwing motion. It is slow as molasses. And I am concerned about his competition this year. They lost to Syracuse, although Willis played well in that game. And the only other real test they have this year is Ole Miss on Nov. 6th. 

I like Kenny Pickett a lot more in all honesty. Not quite as big of arm. But he is ready to go day one. You arent gonna be changing his throwing motion at all. And he has faced and beaten real competition this year. Although they had a bad loss to Western Michigan where Pickett threw SIX TD's and they still lost. The one game we will be able to compare the two of them will be against Syracuse. Liberty lost in a nail biter 24-21. Willis played well and threw for 205 yards and 3 TD's on 14-19 passing. Pickett gets his shot at Syracuse on Nov. 27th. 

I would be fine with either guy though. We HAVE to draft a QB this year. Just have to. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

It's not a good idea to look at a down season and think the talent is forgotten. I say this in regards to the QB position and specifically what teams did in regards to Justin Herbert. He was still the best QB on draft day. I think the same goes for Sam Howell. He's tops in this QB class IMO. 

1. Sam Howell

2. Matt Corral

3. Kenny Pickett

4. Carson Strong

5. Malik Willis

I think the lesson with Herbert is he had a big time arm but he wasn't consistent.  He was a big dude with a strong arm who can run very well for a guy his size and supposedly has big time intangibles.

What makes you think Howell is the Herbert in this group?  I am not arguing, I am still digesting the QBs but curious why you are that sold on Howell?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

53 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Willis a lot as well. But I hate his throwing motion. It is slow as molasses. And I am concerned about his competition this year. They lost to Syracuse, although Willis played well in that game. And the only other real test they have this year is Ole Miss on Nov. 6th. 

I like Kenny Pickett a lot more in all honesty. Not quite as big of arm. But he is ready to go day one. You arent gonna be changing his throwing motion at all. And he has faced and beaten real competition this year. Although they had a bad loss to Western Michigan where Pickett threw SIX TD's and they still lost. The one game we will be able to compare the two of them will be against Syracuse. Liberty lost in a nail biter 24-21. Willis played well and threw for 205 yards and 3 TD's on 14-19 passing. Pickett gets his shot at Syracuse on Nov. 27th. 

I would be fine with either guy though. We HAVE to draft a QB this year. Just have to. 

Do you think a guy like Pickett ends up rocketing up the draft boards as seems to be the recent trend in the months leading to the draft? I am very impressed with him based on what I've seen, but worry that we would need to have a top 5 pick to get him.  Therefore, I don't think we can win another game if we want a shot at him.

Great breakdown of his play:

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Do you think a guy like Pickett ends up rocketing up the draft boards as seems to be the recent trend in the months leading to the draft? I am very impressed with him based on what I've seen, but worry that we would need to have a top 5 pick to get him.  Therefore, I don't think we can win another game if we want a shot at him.

I do think he is going to sky rocket up draft boards. I have been saying for a couple of months now that there is no Manning in this draft. But it is full of Staffords. Howell, Pickett, Willis, Corral, Rattler, Mccall and Ridder could all end up first or second rounders IMO. We will have a chance at a QB. And might even be able to move up just a little bit to get the guy we want. I dont think we will be picking top 5. But I dont think top 10 is out of the question either. 

On 10/18/2021 at 11:23 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Ron, Silver and others talk about it, this is how it added up to me.  I am adding some of my own conclusions to a small extent based on what was said.

A. The realize that they needed a QB last off season.  But hated the idea of giving up the farm yet to get one.

B.  They loved Stafford, swung hard for him and missed.

C.  They didn't love Darnold or other trade possibilities as for reclamation projects.  They toyed with Watson (pre-scandal) and considered Rodgers and Wilson but those FOs didn't have these guys seriously on the market.

D.  They liked Fields a lot but not to the extent they'd trade the store for him.  If he dropped close to their pick they would have made a move because it wouldn't have cost them their 2022 first rounder which they were determined to keep.

E.  They liked Mac Jones but didn't love him.  They would have taken him at 19 but they weren't going to trade up for him

They figured if Fitz was decent and their defense killer they can win some games and set up the roster for the kill in 2022.  If Fitz exceeded expectations they could ride him again worse case if a good QB opportunity doesn't arise but in all likelihood they expected to be aggressive in 2022.

Now, they are in an interesting spot.  I got no doubt they see the QB spot as code red and will go swinging for it.  they got enough cap room to perhaps fill the gaps in FA at other spots while using draft picks to either chase one in the draft or use it as capital to trade for one.

Unlike some others here, i do think they "get it" so to speak as for this is the off season to address it.  I actually have some faith they might actually be good at getting the right guy.  the reason being if all that information is right, they had the right targets, the problem was they didn't pull the trigger.  Now they arguably have to pull the trigger so I expect a real interesting off season. 

I think your read makes the most sense, the problem is, this class is sketchy as hell. It's not as bad as some the previous decade, like the notorious classes of '11, '13-'14, but it does look at best like a weaker version of classes like '10 and '16, where you've got guys that will go high because somebody has to, and guys  that go in round 1 because of the demand for QB is so strong. This is not '12, '17, '18, '20, '21 where the drafts were either rich in elite prospects at the time and known as such for years, or drafts that at least had multiple legit top 10 types. This feels like a draft where you have Goff and Wentz go high because someone has to, a class like '19 where Haskins and Jones go in the top half, because 3 teams need QB enough to roll the dice on guys that wouldn't have been first rounders, let alone top 18 guys in a draft worth a damn. 

That's why I didn't agree with their approach. 

In '20 they had access to long term elite prospects in Tua and Herbert, and fast riser Burrow. They passed on the 2 they had access to. In '20 the draft had Lawrence as the Luck prospect, and Fields as the the 2nd stud, with the fast risers being Lance and Jones. Four guys. This draft will probably have one or two fast risers, and zero long term elite prospects, with 2-3 or more Daniel Jones/Haskins type guys that go round 1 due to need. I am lower on guys like Rattler, and Howell, who generally owned top dog status for this class six months ago, and yep they've fallen, but my point w/them was always that these are basically 25-50 talents, Davis Mills, Jason Campbell type speculative guys, not elite, never elite. Corral, Willis, and Pickett are your fast risers, and Strong is the guy with a top 10-40 grade for a while but with huge concerns (I've watched two games, and see a lovely accurate ball, not a huge arm but solid, but also a no huddle offense that goes bubble screen nonstop, that's not going to work in the NFL, and of course he isn't seeing any competent defenses either). 

It scares the hell out of me. Either we trade for a QB, or we draft a guy w/to my mind, a greater than 50/50 bust risk because its a crappier class than usual and then fans get even more jaded about going after QB's in the draft despite the fact that the redskins/wft havent invested top level draft capital on a QB virtually EVER. Even since the collapse of the past 30 years, we've invested virtually no serious draft capital EVER on QB. It's Heath Shuler in '94, and RGIII in '11, and beyond that, it's a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier, highly speculative guys in day 1 or day 2, or very low upside rolls of the dice on day 3 some that hit (Frerotte, and especially Cousins) nearly all that did not (your Hakel's, Hamdam's and the like). Fans can't pretend the team is seriously going after answers at QB when the team is in the toilet for nearly 30 years and they've invested only 2 of 28 potential first rounders in a top end QB at the top 10 of the given draft while having mostly garbage at QB for nearly all of those years (to be fair, it was a mix of garbage, mediocrities, and a couple of good, borderline top 10 starters like Brad Johnson and Cousins). 

Fan's don't get that if you want to nail QB, you have to try repeatedly, and you have to use top end draft capital to have a reasonable shot of hitting (you'll have a shot elsewhere, but it's riskier). The Cowboy way is a massive aberration that's largely unrepeatable long term (hitting home runs twice in 15 years on day 3/UDFA type guys-especially considering they didnt even want Dak, they were targeting multiple guys that ended up busts instead and were left with Dak. Lucky them). 

On 10/18/2021 at 10:19 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Weapons aren't just a luxury.  They are necessary to the successful development of the QB prospect, particularly in today's game where receivers have such a huge impact.  You absolutely have to move Heaven and Earth to stack the deck for your prospect and give him a panoply of guys who will consistently win all over the field for him.  The Cowboys, Chiefs, Bills, Chargers, and Cardinals all provided that for their prospects and it's not a coincidence that they've got some of the most explosive and cutting edge passing games in the league now.  Having multiple potent weapons is great for any QB, young or old, but it's a necessary part of the process of transitioning a prospect into a confident, fully grown star.

Our weapons still absolutely suck.  McLaurin is the only truly good skill player on our offense, and he's not the kind of dominant one man show that can carry a good passing game on his own.  We've got Dyami Brown and Adam Humphries as our #2 and #3, and a group of converted college receivers (and quarterback) and a Chilean basketball player trying to play running back and tight end for us.  Plus a UDFA and a fourth round rookie.  It's an awful group that is arguably the worst and least pedigreed set of skill players in the NFL.  Led by a coordinator of no achievement or special ability, and quarterbacked by an undrafted journeyman with a marginal NFL body.  I agree with you that we need to get a QB and that it's a necessary step for building the foundation upon.  But we have to thread a ton of needles  at the same time for that prospect to have a chance.  We need better coaching and drastically improved weaponry.

You misunderstood my point. When I'm talking QB's in the post you refer to, I'm arguing with the FO approach that wanted to build out more of the team first before risking assets. My point isn't that playmakers don't matter, they do, to an extent, and all good teams have at least some (other than many of Brady's), my point is that as long as a team has a reasonable OL in place, and a reasonable, stable coaching staff, they are absolutely 1000% good to draft a QB. If you don't have the OL, it could be a problem, especially if you play him from the jump, if you have instability or incompetence at coaching, you also could ruin your QB, but as long as you have something solid in both places, you absolutely must draft/acquire that QB, immediately if you don't have one. 

I'd love to have better weapons, but having good WR's, or a great RB and TE, but no QB, means you have nothing, Brady and other QB's have turned mediocre teammates into competent ones, if you have no QB, everybody is going to suck, or at best be less than they can be as pro's. The OL is necessary to prevent David Carr syndrome, and you should sit a guy before letting that happen, but beyond that, get your QB (and acknowledge that you have ----- hires at QB coach, OC, and/or HC, they will ruin your QB. See Gase and so many others). 

• Like 1

Weapons don't mean jack if you don't have the QB. Mike Williams was a bust with the Chargers until Herby came along. Davante Adams at one point early in his career led the league in drops and was considered among the worst WRs in the league but Rodgers kept sticking with him. Brady for years won 11+ games with tomato cans at receiver.

Get the QB first and its amazing how much better everyone looks.

• Like 3

I know some challenge Keim's reporting, not me, not that he's perfect but he's pretty accurate typically.  Finlay on the other hand is a bit hit and miss but I do like listening to him on the radio, podcasts.  Not saying he's wrong here but I've never found him as gospel as a source.  

To his point, I'd put money they go for a veteran QB over a prospect.  The hard thing though is whom?  Rodgers and Wilson won't want to come here.  Watson probaby going to Miami and his baggage is the worst kind for this franchise.  I keep going back to Matt Ryan mainly because I think they trade him and don't ask for the moon and I doubt Ryan can dictate where he goes.  But I am not in love with Ryan.  Previously I'd say Derrick Carr but he's having a really good season so why would a new coach dump him?

6 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I think your read makes the most sense, the problem is, this class is sketchy as hell. It's not as bad as some the previous decade, like the notorious classes of '11, '13-'14, but it does look at best like a weaker version of classes like '10 and '16, where you've got guys that will go high because somebody has to, and guys  that go in round 1 because of the demand for QB is so strong. This is not '12, '17, '18, '20, '21 where the drafts were either rich in elite prospects at the time and known as such for years, or drafts that at least had multiple legit top 10 types. This feels like a draft where you have Goff and Wentz go high because someone has to, a class like '19 where Haskins and Jones go in the top half, because 3 teams need QB enough to roll the dice on guys that wouldn't have been first rounders, let alone top 18 guys in a draft worth a damn. 

IMO its not quite as weak as the 2019 class.    But its weaker IMO than the last two classes.

The only guy I really like right now is Corral.   I maybe can be talked into some of the others but Corral is the only one guy I am sold on.  But not to the extent that I was sold on Kyler Murray in 2019.  But more similar to how I felt about Mac Jones.  Jones wasn't slam dunk, I could see the argument against him, but I liked him.   I like Corral a little bit more than I liked Mac.  But I don't like him as much as I liked Fields and some of the QB prospects over the years I really loved.  

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I do think he is going to sky rocket up draft boards. I have been saying for a couple of months now that there is no Manning in this draft. But it is full of Staffords. Howell, Pickett, Willis, Corral, Rattler, Mccall and Ridder could all end up first or second rounders IMO. We will have a chance at a QB. And might even be able to move up just a little bit to get the guy we want. I dont think we will be picking top 5. But I dont think top 10 is out of the question either. 

I think  you are rating this draft class significantly higher than me. 

26 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Than most of us. Which ****, if he's right he's going to look so far ahead of the curve.

I just don't love any of these prospects. They just don't move the meter to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To his point, I'd put money they go for a veteran QB over a prospect.  The hard thing though is whom?  Rodgers and Wilson won't want to come here.  Watson probaby going to Miami and his baggage is the worst kind for this franchise.  I keep going back to Matt Ryan mainly because I think they trade him and don't ask for the moon and I doubt Ryan can dictate where he goes.  But I am not in love with Ryan.  Previously I'd say Derrick Carr but he's having a really good season so why would a new coach dump him?

Some speculation that Denver could have interest in Tua.  That may make Bridgwater available.  He is a vet, but I see him as a short-term placeholder at best.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some challenge Keim's reporting, not me, not that he's perfect but he's pretty accurate typically.  Finlay on the other hand is a bit hit and miss but I do like listening to him on the radio, podcasts.  Not saying he's wrong here but I've never found him as gospel as a source.  

I think Matt Ryan coming here would basically just mean more mediocrity. I'd rather roll with some scrub next season and get a top pick in 2023.

Fitz was a relatively cheap guy who was clearly a bridge. Ryan (assuming we picked up his contract) would not only cost us a likely high pick, but also about $45 million over two years. And he'd probably be just good enough to give hope but never get all the way, but never be bad enough for us to have a top draft pick.

Then after 2023 we're left with nothing and probably have to do a full rebuild again because we won't be able to pay all of our 1st rounders.

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

Thats fair. I am more thinking about the value of the position itself. This draft is going to be really deep on defense again. And that alone may push some QB's down further. But as always anyone that needs a QB is going to take one early IMO. 

9 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

I'm sure he's going to do many more  breakdowns of Pickett.  As this one was from the 2020 college season.  That said, one thing that would hurt his draft stock is he's likely to have the smallest hands ever recorded for a QB.  Hence the gloves.  Russell Wilson may be 5'10 but his hands are actually kind of large for an NFL QB.  Kyler Murray has OK hand size for a QB.

If Pickett is throwing well, with gloves, in wet/rainy games, or windy games, then yeah that removes some worry with him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO its not quite as weak as the 2019 class.    But its weaker IMO than the last two classes.

The only guy I really like right now is Corral.   I maybe can be talked into some of the others but Corral is the only one guy I am sold on.  But not to the extent that I was sold on Kyler Murray in 2019.  But more similar to how I felt about Mac Jones.  Jones wasn't slam dunk, I could see the argument against him, but I liked him.   I like Corral a little bit more than I liked Mac.  But I don't like him as much as I liked Fields and some of the QB prospects over the years I really loved.  

That's fair, there are more pushed into the first round mediocre low floor, high ceiling types than '19. '19 had 3 guys, this one will have 5, so it's better than '19, but this one has no Kyler (admittedly most thought Kyler was MLB bound until October of '18), so there's no QB with a truly elite, Kyler caliber grade. 

I fear you're right. That being said, I've felt hopeless about the whole thing since Alex Smith turned around the season last fall. Since then the '21 class seemed to fall out of reach (turns out I was kinda wrong), and I already knew '19 sucked, so that's a wrap. I suspect we'll be irrelevant for quite a while, my focus is moving to the USMNT, hoping the team can overcome an in over his head coach. Sorry about the the Debbie downer take, but it's been nearly 30 years, and I see nothing to be excited about long term, so kinda looking elsewhere. I had hope with these past few drafts, but that's left the building for me. Hope for the rest of you, your faith is rewarded. 

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the lesson with Herbert is he had a big time arm but he wasn't consistent.  He was a big dude with a strong arm who can run very well for a guy his size and supposedly has big time intangibles.

What makes you think Howell is the Herbert in this group?  I am not arguing, I am still digesting the QBs but curious why you are that sold on Howell?

Howell has it. He is a gamer. Same with Corral, though i'd give the edge to Howell since I don't like to base my judgements off of one year. To me, Howell is more of a Mayfield and Corral is similar to Derek Carr. Willis is a tough sell for me. I'm not huge on running qb's with accuracy issues. They'll get figured out in the pros. He just hasn't played against any real talent and that's too risky for a team like ours to gamble on. 

Corral is super dynamic though I'd still give the edge to Howell. In fact, even Pickett may make more sense to the WFT since he's looked the most pro-ready.

21 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Yep, especially in a subpar QB draft, I'd just be nervous. I'm not a huge fan of QB's that suddenly look great after being mediocre for all previous college seasons. He was never bad, but the #'s were not interesting until this year. Maybe he's making the leap, or maybe he's 3+ years older than all the defensive talent he's facing and it shows. I imagine someone else will draft him, but after Burrow, people will be open to this being "him" and hopefully it is for whomever drafts him. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Howell has it. He is a gamer. Same with Corral, though i'd give the edge to Howell since I don't like to base my judgements off of one year. To me, Howell is more of a Mayfield and Corral is similar to Derek Carr. Willis is a tough sell for me. I'm not huge on running qb's with accuracy issues. They'll get figured out in the pros. He just hasn't played against any real talent and that's too risky for a team like ours to gamble on. 

Corral is super dynamic though I'd still give the edge to Howell. In fact, even Pickett may make more sense to the WFT since he's looked the most pro-ready.

Im not out on Howell yet. Saw one game of his this year and it was awful. But I’m waiting on total judgement for after the season when I really watch.

Corral is the other guy I like.

Willis is a gamble. 

Pickett… not sure either way yet. 

But I’m far less confident in these guys than the top 3 from last year. Maybe even top 4 so far. But subject to change.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

That's fair, there are more pushed into the first round mediocre low floor, high ceiling types than '19. '19 had 3 guys, this one will have 5, so it's better than '19, but this one has no Kyler (admittedly most thought Kyler was MLB bound until October of '18), so there's no QB with a truly elite, Kyler caliber grade. 

No doubt, Kyler was elite and is playing that way.  Kyler >>>>> Corral.

I want to invest in and develop a thoroughbred. I'm sick of these veteran retreads or mediocre prospects. Shoot for the moon. Yeah the RG3 trade ended up sucking but man how fun was 2012...now imagine having that type of QB for a decade and then actually building up a team around him...