Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bloomberg: How WallStreetBets Pushed GameStop Shares to the Moon

No Excuses

6 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I don't understand why the Redditor DFV should be worried.  He has posted all of his trades on WSB and was in GME for over a year. You can see everything he did.  He basically went into options and timed it perfectly.  

From the $50k to $100k he had, his paper top was $40M and he is sitting on $13M straight cash.  And $9M in paper gains. 

I don't know who spread the information about the stock, being shorted so much,but when a bunch of other hedge funds took the long side of the trade it puts momentum opposite of where it was and causes the crazy short squeeze...although this was an insane short squeeze.  

Why don't hedge funds do that with the "short data" on a regular basis? 

They actually do, it just doesn’t get communicated on social media sites/regular press where individual investors are aware to participate.

The SEC got in on this because they don’t have a monitoring system for former fund managers or former investment bankers manipulating social media sites to drive prices. Makes me wonder if they just can’t believe that “Tom the janitor” is a savvy investor that follows the sub. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is a hearing in the House Financial Services Committee... Keith Gill, AKA Reddit User "Deep@#@$ingValue" is testifying.  

There was also a Class Action lawsuit against Gill filed as well as the insurance company he worked for.  For... openly showing his trade in public?  The guy was publicly sharing a $53,000 position he was in since June 2019.  Apparently some bozo lost money, hence the class action.  

Robinhood CEO, 'Roaring Kitty' and trading firm Citadel's CEO are all set to testify before Congress on Thursday over GameStop drama

Key players in the GameStop saga that fascinated financial observers last month, causing jubilation and despair among even small-scale investors, are set to testify before Congress on Thursday in an eagerly-anticipated hearing.

The House Committee on Financial Services will hear from six people who were deeply involved in the drama.

Click on the link for the full article

I watched a couple hours of the hearing.  It was really boring.  I think the committee leaders really struggled to make any kind of coherent rational for having the hearing.  After the initial populist rhetoric about needing a hearing to hold hedge fund billionaires accountable for rigging the market to screw over middle class investors, I think someone who understood what was happening actually explained it to the outraged politicians.

The big hedge funds that held the majority of short positions on the stocks had closed out their positions two days before the trading was restricted.  So, it became clear that the "oligarchs" who were called to be held accountable about the restrictions actually had nothing to gain from the move.  This means that the whole reason any retail investors had for buying the stock (short squeeze that would make some billionaires sad) was over before any restrictions were put in place.  The only people who were prevented from buying were people that heard the hype and tried to buy a stock that would lose 80% of its value within a week.

I think the politicians also found out that the answer to the question of why Robinhood restricted trading was actually..."The regulations created by this committee".  So, instead of any substance you had a bunch of politicians grandstanding about who could insult the witnesses the most or ask nonsense questions.  Maxine was asking questions like... Have you stopped (beating your wife) cheating your customers... it is a simple yes or no question.  When the first word was not a yes or no, she would cut them off, then berate them for refusing to answer. I think AOC asked someone to commit to their company refusing to accept income in the future.  Others asked hard hitting questions about if it was fair that some people live in mansions, while there are people without electricity in this country.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

For those of you that like money, I suggest you buy some GME this week.  Delta Sensitivity is through the roof, and volatility is just getting started again.  If you thought January 2021 was wild, wait until January 2022.

Also, CBOE Options Expirations this Friday.  T+2 is Tuesday.  Next week is going to be nuts.

9 hours ago, Tedskins 21 said:

For those of you that like money, I suggest you buy some GME this week.  Delta Sensitivity is through the roof, and volatility is just getting started again.  If you thought January 2021 was wild, wait until January 2022.

Also, CBOE Options Expirations this Friday.  T+2 is Tuesday.  Next week is going to be nuts.

You must be hoping prices go up because of the demand you are hoping to create.

• Thumb up 1

• 10 months later...