Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

17 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

What a turnaround for the Cardinals. And Browns. And Bengals.  And Chargers.

Saying nothing about Chase, but FML right here.

The chargers were 12-4 the year before they drafted Herbert. The browns aren’t anything special and I question how much that franchise is starting to regret drafting Baker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The chargers were 12-4 the year before they drafted Herbert. The browns aren’t anything special and I question how much that franchise is starting to regret drafting Baker.

HUH? 12-4? by 12-4 u mean 5-11 right? THe browns are playing good football they were 11-5 last year when was the last time we got 11 wins? cmon man. 

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

HUH? 12-4? by 12-4 u mean 5-11 right? THe browns are playing good football they were 11-5 last year when was the last time we got 11 wins? cmon man. 

I said the year BEFORE they drafted Herbert. Not the year they drafted him. Browns we’re also under 500 the other two years, don’t look good this year and he’s consistently injured even if that doesn’t necessarily mean missing games. You know why that team went 11-5? Same reason Minnesota looked competent last year - an elite RB group that’s the focus of the offense. It ain’t Baker much like it ain’t Tannehill leading the charge in Tennessee.

10 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I said the year BEFORE they drafted Herbert. 

The year before they drafted Herbert would’ve been 2019, yes? The Chargers were 100% NOT 12-4 in 2019....they were 5-11. they were 12-4 in 2018. 2018 was not the year before they drafted Herbert. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I said the year BEFORE they drafted Herbert. Not the year they drafted him. Browns we’re also under 500 the other two years, don’t look good this year and he’s consistently injured even if that doesn’t necessarily mean missing games. You know why that team went 11-5? Same reason Minnesota looked competent last year - an elite RB group that’s the focus of the offense. It ain’t Baker much like it ain’t Tannehill leading the charge in Tennessee.

So 5-11 for the 2019 season doesnt count as before they drafted herbert? Mayfield throws for 26tds and its all the running backs they had...yeah the tunning backs were a big part but Mayfield is an actual NFL gamer of a qb unlike the one we have starting for this team as much as people would like to believe he is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

The part in bold: why was that necessary? Just because he doesn’t think the browns are anything special (i disagree with him as well), doesn’t mean he thinks Washington is good. Pretty sure everyone is well aware this team is horrible. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

30 years (1991 - 14 wins).  Btw, the gap between 10-win seasons is growing.  1999, 2005, 2012, ?

The only way anything will change is if fans refuse to spend any $ on the team - no games, no merch, no nothing.  

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The year before they drafted Herbert would’ve been 2019, yes? The Chargers were 100% NOT 12-4 in 2019....they were 5-11. they were 12-4 in 2018. 2018 was not the year before they drafted Herbert. 

Jeez you're arguing semantics for no reason because you know my point. The year PRIOR to the season in which they were 5-11 and drafted Herbert the team went 12-4. Happy? Can we move on?

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Jeez you're arguing semantics for no reason because you know my point. The year PRIOR to the season in which they were 5-11 and drafted Herbert the team went 12-4. Happy? Can we move on?

If you had originally said “the year prior to the season in which they 5-11 and drafted Herbert”, then myself, and @CjSuAvE22 wouldn’t have said anything. However, what you said was “the year before they drafted Herbert” which means the season before the 2020 draft. 

so no, it’s not “semantics”, you just simply weren’t clear on which season you meant. That’s on you. 

3 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

30 years (1991 - 14 wins).  Btw, the gap between 10-win seasons is growing.  1999, 2005, 2012, ?

The only way anything will change is if fans refuse to spend any $ on the team - no games, no merch, no nothing.  

I havent bought anything WFT team related but ive been going to the games i guess i should stop but tailgating with my friends is so fun and our group has gone down from 40 and getting a keg to about 7....and we just get popeyes to go now 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

So 5-11 for the 2019 season doesnt count as before they drafted herbert? Mayfield throws for 26tds and its all the running backs they had...yeah the tunning backs were a big part but Mayfield is an actual NFL gamer of a qb unlike the one we have starting for this team as much as people would like to believe he is.

The year prior Baker threw for 21 INTs. The dude is a good complimentary QB who averages about 225 yards and 1.5 TD a game, but, like Cousins has turned into, his success is largely contingent on an effective run game. I like Baker, don't get me wrong, but of the 5 first round QBs drafted in '18, he's smack dab in the middle.

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If you had originally said “the year prior to the season in which they 5-11 and drafted Herbert”, then myself, and @CjSuAvE22 wouldn’t have said anything. However, what you said was “the year before they drafted Herbert” which means the season before the 2020 draft. 

so no, it’s not “semantics”, you just simply weren’t clear on which season you meant. That’s on you. 

Cool story. I don't care.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

but, like Cousins has turned into, his success is largely contingent on an effective run game.

I hear you about Baker hes not the best in his QB class but at least the browns are competitive, this league is extremely difficult to win in and theres a handful of coaches that can lead teams and make them competitive perennially, as for your thoughts on Cousins its simply not true....the 3 years he was a starter officially, he didnt have a running back even crack 800 yards a season i dont think, Cousins is a good quality nfl starting qb more than capable if winning with his arm, He hasnt won anythign thus far but hes not a Kyle Allen Tyler Heinicke Blake Bortles Mike Glennon Chad Henne, Hes a starter in this league whether we want to admit or not.....Had he stayed here would we have won a super bowl i cant tell you yes or no, but we i can tell you we would 100 percent be a better football team than we are now. I honestly think with the top 5 defense we had last year and Cousins as our starter we may have cracked the 11 win threshold 

Edited by CjSuAvE22

LOL @ people trying to say that other teams' turnarounds "don't count" for one reason or another.

The Chargers earned the 6th pick.

The Browns are legit.  The Bengals are legit.  The Cardinals are legit.  You can try to explain any and everything away, and it doesn't change that other teams make it work while we just make it worse.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Cool story. I don't care.

This is basically how I feel about any headline about this team, Outside of "WFT takes 2 QBs in this years draft, or With first round pick WFT selects X QB from X school, or Dan Snyder sells WFT" anything else is just fodder, im done caring about the William Jacksons/ Landon Collins we bring in from free agency or trading for a 35 year old qb who Andy Reid no longer needs services from etc etc etc.....SELL THE TEAM or FIND A DAMN QB that's YOUNG that you can BUILD a team around. 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

LOL @ people trying to say that other teams' turnarounds "don't count" for one reason or another.

The Chargers earned the 6th pick.

The Browns are legit.  The Bengals are legit.  The Cardinals are legit.  You can try to explain any and everything away, and it doesn't change that other teams make it work while we just make it worse.

No one is discounting any "turnaround", but simply saying that getting a QB is what made these teams contenders is lazy. Cleveland has about 15-20 first round draft picks in their lineup, the best defensive player in football (arguably), the best run game in the business etc. It was inevitable they were going to become at least competitive. Chargers weren't a consistently  floundering team with nothing talentwise prior to Herbert. They're also not exactly a great team. Good? Yes, but preying on weak teams so far. Bengals found a gem in Burrow and are building around him, but it's a little early to declare them a success story that made it work. 

Mayfield was ridiculously good in the latter half of the season last year. He legit looked like a top 5-10 QB. I forget the exact #s but it was something insane like 20 TDs and 1 pick over 11 games or something crazy. He's a legit QB who gets a lot of hate because of his personality and former #1 pick status.

24 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

No one is discounting any "turnaround", but simply saying that getting a QB is what made these teams contenders is lazy. Cleveland has about 15-20 first round draft picks in their lineup, the best defensive player in football (arguably), the best run game in the business etc. It was inevitable they were going to become at least competitive. Chargers weren't a consistently  floundering team with nothing talentwise prior to Herbert. They're also not exactly a great team. Good? Yes, but preying on weak teams so far. Bengals found a gem in Burrow and are building around him, but it's a little early to declare them a success story that made it work. 

Actually, sometimes the most simple answer is the correct answer.  The QB is exactly why those teams are contenders, while we're as far away from contenders as a team can possibly be.  The talent level between most teams is comparable when looking at rosters.  What separates teams like ours from teams like theirs is QB play.  Our team with a better QB would be right around where the Browns/Bengals/Chargers are, but because our QB play for years has been so porous and awful, we look like a JV Team compared to most contending teams.  There's no real difference between a QB like Baker Mayfield, and a QB like Kirk Cousins.  If Cousins were still here, we'd probably be a 10-12 win just by the fact that we would have a Top 11-15 QB.  We'd be playing with a lead more often, and that would allow our defense to pin it's ears back and be more aggressive, instead of playing reactive when trying to keep a deficit from growing larger like we see every damn week with this team.   It's also why we always play behind, simply due to the fact that we can't score the ball consistently enough.  It sucks starting every game 7-0, even when we win the toss.  It's so deflating and demoralizing as a team to start every game with a deficit, and praying that the other team makes enough mistakes so that we can play catch up.  Quick question, who has the second worst point differential in the league?  Oh that's right, it's the WFT.  Who has yet to score a TD on it's opening drive this year?  Oh that's right, it's WFT again.

Mayfield, Herbert and Burrow are all Top 15 QB's.  I would argue that at least two of those QB's (Herbert and Burrow) are already Top 10 QB's.  Just having a QB that can move the offense and score points consistently wins you more games than not.  It's something that this team has failed to invest in the past 25 years, and you're seeing the affects on a weekly basis.  A franchise QB elevates everyone around him and makes a team that much better.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, samy316 said:

The talent level between most teams is comparable when looking at rosters. 

You can’t honestly believe that, especially Cleveland. They’re better at virtually every position. RB, DE, CB, LB, RB, TE, WR, S

And they’re 4-3 with one of those victories coming at the hands of Case Keenum.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Mayfield was ridiculously good in the latter half of the season last year. He legit looked like a top 5-10 QB. I forget the exact #s but it was something insane like 20 TDs and 1 pick over 11 games or something crazy. He's a legit QB who gets a lot of hate because of his personality and former #1 pick status.

Dude had 11 TD in the last 9 games with 4 of those coming in one game, and had a rating under 90 in 5 of them. He became a game manager. Nothing wrong with that, he was what the team needed. Point being if the team wasn’t built around him he wouldn’t have succeeded (IMO).

Edited by PartyPosse

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

DJax and Rams mutually seeking a trade.

I don't know how much exactly he has left in his tank, but I know this for sure - he's still got it. And can still pull off those notorious big plays.

He basically makes two big plays a season and either does nothing or is injured the rest of the time. The fact the Rams, a good and smart team, aren't using him more is telling.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Jericho said:

He basically makes two big plays a season and either does nothing or is injured the rest of the time. The fact the Rams, a good and smart team, aren't using him more is telling.

Reports are saying he was disatisfied with the number of touches he's getting. Which is understandable with the other receiver talent they have. And could also explain why he's only getting those rare plays you're talking about.

If what the Rams are sayins is accurate, and they're not sugar-coating it, it sounds like it could be just a numbers game with the talent they have at receiver. And it's certainly conceivable with DJax's competitiveness, that he's frustrated with the limited opportunities.

I'm not saying he's a big prize. But I wouldn't write him off at this point.

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Reports are saying he was disatisfied with the number of touches he's getting. Which is understandable with the other receiver talent they have. And could also explain why he's only getting those rare plays you're talking about.

If what the Rams are sayins is accurate, and they're not sugar-coating it, it sounds like it could be just a numbers game with the talent they have at receiver. And it's certainly conceivable with DJax's competitiveness, that he's frustrated with the limited opportunities.

I'm not saying he's a big prize. But I wouldn't write him off at this point.

Good teams replace older guys with cheap young draft picks. Bad teams salivate at picking up those older guys.