Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy)


Cooked Crack
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Kind of disappointing. Was hoping for a ruling that she erred in taking the case in the first place. 

 

They did.

 

Quote

These disputes ignore one fundamental question—whether the district court had the power to hear the case. After all: “Federal courts are courts of limited jurisdiction. They possess only that power authorized by Constitution and statute, which is not to be expanded by judicial decree.” 

 

This case was such an expansion. Exercises of equitable jurisdiction—which the district court invoked here—should be “exceptional” and “anomalous.” 

 

The district court improperly exercised equitable jurisdiction in this case. For that reason, we VACATE the September 5 order on appeal and REMAND with instructions for the district court to DISMISS the underlying civil action.

 

Link to pdf of 11 Circuit Ruling

  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First on CNN: Federal judge orders former top lawyers in Trump’s White House to testify in criminal grand jury probe

 

A federal judge has ordered former top Trump White House lawyers to provide additional grand jury testimony, rejecting former President Donald Trump’s privilege claims in the Justice Department’s criminal investigation of his effort to overturn the 2020 election, people briefed on the matter said.

 

Pat Cipollone, the Trump White House counsel, and his deputy, Patrick Philbin, appeared in September before the grand jury in Washington, DC, as part of the Justice Department probe, which is now being overseen by newly appointed special counsel Jack Smith.

 

Cipollone and Philbin declined to answer some questions at that time, citing Trump’s claims of executive and attorney-client privilege.

 

Cipollone and Philbin didn’t respond to CNN’s request for comment.

 

Trump is expected to appeal. CNN has reached out to his representatives.

 

The Justice Department did not respond to a request for comment.

 

The privilege claims have been the subject of an ongoing legal fight in secret proceedings before the Washington federal judge overseeing the grand jury.

 

The judge has similarly rejected Trump’s privilege claims for other witnesses, including top aides to former Vice President Mike Pence. Marc Short and Greg Jacob provided a second round of grand jury testimony after the judge ordered them to answer additional questions as part of the January 6-related probe.

  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, China said:

First on CNN: Federal judge orders former top lawyers in Trump’s White House to testify in criminal grand jury probe

 

A federal judge has ordered former top Trump White House lawyers to provide additional grand jury testimony, rejecting former President Donald Trump’s privilege claims in the Justice Department’s criminal investigation of his effort to overturn the 2020 election, people briefed on the matter said.

 

Pat Cipollone, the Trump White House counsel, and his deputy, Patrick Philbin, appeared in September before the grand jury in Washington, DC, as part of the Justice Department probe, which is now being overseen by newly appointed special counsel Jack Smith.

 

Cipollone and Philbin declined to answer some questions at that time, citing Trump’s claims of executive and attorney-client privilege.

 

Cipollone and Philbin didn’t respond to CNN’s request for comment.

 

Trump is expected to appeal. CNN has reached out to his representatives.

 

The Justice Department did not respond to a request for comment.

 

The privilege claims have been the subject of an ongoing legal fight in secret proceedings before the Washington federal judge overseeing the grand jury.

 

The judge has similarly rejected Trump’s privilege claims for other witnesses, including top aides to former Vice President Mike Pence. Marc Short and Greg Jacob provided a second round of grand jury testimony after the judge ordered them to answer additional questions as part of the January 6-related probe.

 

Former Trump White House counsel and his deputy testify to Jan. 6 criminal grand jury

 

Former Trump White House counsel Pat Cipollone and deputy counsel Patrick Philbin testified to a federal grand jury for several hours in Washington, DC, on Friday, indicating the Justice Department had compelled the men to answer more questions in the January 6, 2021, criminal investigation despite challenges from Donald Trump’s legal team.

 

The January 6 grand jury activity is the latest indication the investigation – now led by special counsel Jack Smith – has pushed in recent months to unearth new details about direct conversations with the former president and advice given to him after the election.

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trump releases video defending Jan. 6 Capitol rioters after pressure from Kanye West

 

Former President Donald Trump expressed his solidarity with the rioters who attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021 in a video for a fundraising event on Thursday night hosted by the Patriot Freedom Project, which assists the families of those being prosecuted by the government.

 

"People have been treated unconstitutionally in my opinion and very, very unfairly, and we're going to get to the bottom of it," he said in the video, which appears to be shot in his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida. He also complained about the "weaponization of the Department of Justice," and claimed the nation was "going communist."

 

In a September interview, Trump revealed he was "financially supporting" some of the Jan. 6 defendants and promised them pardons and a government apology if he is re-elected in 2024. "I mean full pardons with an apology to many," he told conservative radio host Wendy Bell. 

 

Trump's statement of support was released after a controversial private dinner at his Mar-a-Lago resort with rapper Kanye West, also known as Ye. 

 

While Trump was likely expecting a photo-op with West to boost support for his third bid for president, he ended up on the receiving end of a lecture from the rapper, according to NBC News. West said that Trump was not doing enough for those arrested in the Capitol riots. 

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Haha 2
  • Thumb down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, China said:

Trump releases video defending Jan. 6 Capitol rioters after pressure from Kanye West

 

Former President Donald Trump expressed his solidarity with the rioters who attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021 in a video for a fundraising event on Thursday night hosted by the Patriot Freedom Project, which assists the families of those being prosecuted by the government.

 

"People have been treated unconstitutionally in my opinion and very, very unfairly, and we're going to get to the bottom of it," he said in the video, which appears to be shot in his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida. He also complained about the "weaponization of the Department of Justice," and claimed the nation was "going communist."

 

In a September interview, Trump revealed he was "financially supporting" some of the Jan. 6 defendants and promised them pardons and a government apology if he is re-elected in 2024. "I mean full pardons with an apology to many," he told conservative radio host Wendy Bell. 

 

Trump's statement of support was released after a controversial private dinner at his Mar-a-Lago resort with rapper Kanye West, also known as Ye. 

 

While Trump was likely expecting a photo-op with West to boost support for his third bid for president, he ended up on the receiving end of a lecture from the rapper, according to NBC News. West said that Trump was not doing enough for those arrested in the Capitol riots. 

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

 

I now think that guys like McCarthy and McConnell are doing this:

 

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

House Jan. 6 Committee to Issue Criminal Referrals, Chairman Says

 

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol will issue criminal referrals to the Justice Department based on its inquiry, the panel’s chairman said on Tuesday, but has made no decision on who it will recommend charging or what offenses it will cite.

 

Representative Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, the Democratic chairman of the committee, told reporters on Capitol Hill that the panel had agreed to take the step and would meet later Tuesday to discuss the specifics. 

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trump PAC reportedly paid legal bills of Mar-a-Lago witnesses

 

A report published by the Washington Post claims that money from Donald Trump’s political action committee paid the legal bills of some witnesses involved in the US justice department’s criminal inquiry into the former president’s improper handling of classified documents.

 

They include the former Trump adviser Kash Patel, who was granted immunity last month for his grand jury testimony, the newspaper says, citing anonymous sources said to be familiar with the matter.

 

Another is the valet Walt Nauda, who told FBI agents that he had moved boxes at Trump’s direction around his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida while the government was trying to retrieve documents and records that should have been preserved in Washington DC, according to the Post.

 

The payment of witnesses’ legal fees by a political group whose purse strings Trump controls, while not illegal, raises ethical concerns and poses a conflict, the Post says.

 

It quotes former federal prosecutor Jim Walden, who questioned if the payments to witnesses’ lawyers by the Trump fund influenced their testimony or level of cooperation.

 

“It looks like the Trump political action committee is either paying for the silence of these witnesses, for them to take the fifth [amendment] or for favorable testimony,” he said, referring to the constitutional protection against self-incrimination.

 

“These circumstances should look very suspicious to the justice department, and there’s a judicial mechanism for them to get court oversight if there’s a conflict.”

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2022 at 12:50 AM, China said:

The payment of witnesses’ legal fees by a political group whose purse strings Trump controls, while not illegal, raises ethical concerns and poses a conflict, the Post says.

WHY THE **** NOT?

 

3 hours ago, China said:
I think section 3 of the 14th amendment should prohibit him from being eligible.

Unfortunately, that only applies to people who had previously held office.  That means it should apply to Donald Trump himself, however.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...