Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There's a really weird contradiction there. First you admit that he's hardly had any playing time, then you go on to say you've seen enough. 

I seriously doubt he's rooting against Heinicke and/or the team doing well. Do you think I'm rooting against Heinicke because I point out some concerns with his play and I'm not all-in on pronouncing him as the guy at this point?

Not a contradiction at all.  I’m simply saying 4 has done more in a half season than the season plus half we’d have to give a young qb to get the same answer. 4 has shown me enough in a few games with our team that he can be the guy.  

to make it crystal clear:  ima 4 guy.  We don’t have to pay him now.  That’s a perfect situation.  when it comes time for his payday, the decision makers will decide where he fits.  For now?….I loooooove the dude.  He’s my QB lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TK said:

On the highlight clip, go to the play at 1:30. You can tell that at the end of that run he was about to go for the pylon & smartly pulled back from it to avoid a collision. 

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Glad to see that someone else thought the same and that I was not just hallucinating!

• Like 1

Anyone here have kids?  Do they play sports?  My 14 year old has played a variety of sports growing up, some better than others.  I recall him wanting to try soccer.  He’s not particularly fast nor does he really like to run.  But we signed him up and watched him play.  He stunk and never really had the mojo for it to care that much about getting better.  It was a one and done season.

Why am I bringing this up?

Because as his dad, I really wanted what was best for him.  I wanted him to succeed every game.  I cheered him on and hoped for the best.  But to anyone with eyes it was pretty clear that his physical abilities limited how good he could possibly be.   I knew that he wasn’t long for the game and was never going to score a goal.

Nobody ever accused me of hating on my son.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Literally?

Do you need help with the definition?

Definition of literally

1 : in a literal sense or manner: such as
a : in a way that uses the ordinary or primary meaning of a term or expression He took the remark literally. a word that can be used both literally and figuratively
b used to emphasize the truth and accuracy of a statement or description The party was attended by literally hundreds of people.
c : with exact equivalence : with the meaning of each individual word given exactly The term "Mardi Gras" literally means "Fat Tuesday" in French.
d : in a completely accurate way a story that is basically true even if not literally true

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Anyone here have kids?  Do they play sports?  My 14 year old has played a variety of sports growing up, some better than others.  I recall him wanting to try soccer.  He’s not particularly fast nor does he really like to run.  But we signed him up and watched him play.  He stunk and never really had the mojo for it to carr that much about getting better.  It was a one and done season.

Because as his dad, I really wanted what was best for him.  I wanted him to succeed every game.  I cheered him on and hoped for the best.  But to anyone with eyes it was pretty clear that his physical abilities limited how good he could possibly be.   I knew that he wasn’t long for the game and was never going to score a goal.

Is your son Taylor?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Not a contradiction at all.  I’m simply saying 4 has done more in a half season than the season plus half we’d have to give a young qb to get the same answer. 4 has shown me enough in a few games with our team that he can be the guy.  

to make it crystal clear:  ima 4 guy.  We don’t have to pay him now.  That’s a perfect situation.  when it comes time for his payday, the decision makers will decide where he fits.  For now?….I loooooove the dude.  He’s my QB lol

Ok then we just disagree on how much a guy has to show. I'm not going to pronounce any QB to be the guy without at least 1 season under his belt. There have just been too many QBs who have flashed for parts of a season or for 1 season and who then went on to fizzle out. Almost too many to list.

Sure you have superstars who you could almost immediately tell that they were going to be forces in the league, but that's insanely rare. The only recent one that comes to mind is Mahomes. But he also sat a year before taking the helm.

Heinicke has played well overall and has shown some great flashes, but IMO there are still legit concerns. 

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Fitz is a journeyman QB at the tail end of his career. A lot of yall are saying Taylor is better, so what makes you think he'll take less if he proves to be the guy?

Again the market is merciless, Kirk is counting $31 million against the cap this year and $45 million next.  Is Taylor better then Kirk? If he's the guy he better be.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-9915/

And TH is a nobody off the street. If you think he's going to demand top dollar, because of the rocket arm he doesn't have, or the 6'6 frame he doesn't have, you're not really thinking this through that well.

I guess we need to define "The guy". Does that mean "we think we can win with him" or "he's a franchise QB, top 5 in the league and should be paid as such". Because there is a BIG difference. Especially in the Cap hit.

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Do you need help with the definition?

Definition of literally

1 : in a literal sense or manner: such as
a : in a way that uses the ordinary or primary meaning of a term or expression He took the remark literally. a word that can be used both literally and figuratively
b used to emphasize the truth and accuracy of a statement or description The party was attended by literally hundreds of people.
c : with exact equivalence : with the meaning of each individual word given exactly The term "Mardi Gras" literally means "Fat Tuesday" in French.
d : in a completely accurate way a story that is basically true even if not literally true

Everyone?

• Haha 2

Wonder how comfortable he is with RPO and RO option stuff?? I’ve been campaigning for some of this, but when looking at ODU highlights it appeared they didn’t use much of that at all. 

It seems like a must wrinkle to be added and would seem Turner had some experience with using it Carolina (not sure on this). I’ve only called a few games in Carolina, right? 

A few of the RO type plays he handed it off, wonder if he had the option to keep it. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Ok then we just disagree on how much a guy has to show. I'm not going to pronounce any QB to be the guy without at least 1 season under his belt. There have just been too many QBs who have flashed for parts of a season or for 1 season and who then went on to fizzle out. Almost too many to list.

Sure you have superstars who you could almost immediately tell that they were going to be forces in the league, but that's insanely rare. The only recent one that comes to mind is Mahomes. But he also sat a year before taking the helm.

Heinicke has played well overall and has shown some great flashes, but IMO there are still legit concerns. 

I understand.  Trend analysis is important and it does work.  However, anomalies are always there.  4 is an anomaly.  You have to trust your eyes.  We’ve been let down a crap ton over the past 30 years.  When a guy falls in our lap we’re skeptical.  I get it.  Somewhat.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Most of us agree on this. He's not 6'5. 235 with a cannon. He's been late on some throws. He can get better at that, but he's always going to have a below average NFL arm.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Everyone?

Bueller?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

I understand.  Trend analysis is important and it does work.  However, anomalies are always there.  4 is an anomaly.  You have to trust your eyes.  We’ve been let down a crap ton over the past 30 years.  When a guy falls in our lap we’re skeptical.  I get it.  Somewhat.

And everyone thought that their guy who flashed but then fizzled was the anomaly as well. Until he wasn't. They all "trusted their eyes" as well and were convinced he was the trend breaker.

The fact that we've been through such a crappy QB carousel is actually why we should still be skeptical. We've been traumatized to the point where we latch on to the slightest glimmer of hope.

And I get that. But I'm still going to take a measured approach and see what the result of at least a full season is before I start thinking Heinicke is actually the QB of the future.

• Like 1

Assuming some semblance of his current play carries on (pretty big assumption for various reasons), Heinicke is going to be in a weird spot in terms of a future contract.  I think a lot of teams will downgrade him because 1) he’s been in the Turner system exclusively, 2) his limited arm strength, and 3) I see him as the type to be on the wrong end of ‘the grass is always greener’ mindset.

I could very well see him getting multiple 1-2 year deals from us (if Turner sticks around) while we try to land/groom a young qb.  Deals that are cheap for his caliber of production, but very expensive for a backup (if/when he loses his job to a young up-and-comer… if we ever get to that point).  Could also see bringing him back at high end backup money if we chase a FA qb (though not sure who we could convince to come here).

Point being, I could see him potentially being the exception to the rule of production vs pay at the qb spot.  With that said, I could well be misreading things completely.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No, ODU Aggie is his father.  

I kid.

or am I?

Yeah, you kid. And for anyone who does not know the story, Heinicke's strongest supporter and best friend was his dad. In either his freshman or sophomore year at ODU (I forget which), TH's dad passed unexpectedly after suffering a massive heart attack. TH was devastated, and the hearts of every ODU football fan went out to him big time. TH had a tattoo put on his left arm just below his shoulder commemorating his father. If you ever see him tap that spot and then point upward to the heavens after scoring, he is saying to his dad, that one's for you.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

And TH is a nobody off the street. If you think he's going to demand top dollar, because of the rocket arm he doesn't have, or the 6'6 frame he doesn't have, you're not really thinking this through that well.

If he's producing and winning, will his height or arm matter to his agent or a QB hungry team in a bidding war?

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I guess we need to define "The guy". Does that mean "we think we can win with him" or "he's a franchise QB, top 5 in the league and should be paid as such". Because there is a BIG difference. Especially in the Cap hit.

This does need to be clarified.  Win with him and franchise QB is huge difference money wise.

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Assuming some semblance of his current play carries on (pretty big assumption for various reasons), Heinicke is going to be in a weird spot in terms of a future contract.  I think a lot of teams will downgrade him because 1) he’s been in the Turner system exclusively, 2) his limited arm strength, and 3) I see him as the type to be on the wrong end of ‘the grass is always greener’ mindset.

I could very well see him getting multiple 1-2 year deals from us (if Turner sticks around) while we try to land/groom a young qb.  Deals that are cheap for his caliber of production, but very expensive for a backup (if/when he loses his job to a young up-and-comer… if we ever get to that point).  Could also see bringing him back at high end backup money if we chase a FA qb (though not sure who we could convince to come here).

Point being, I could see him potentially being the exception to the rule of production vs pay at the qb spot.  With that said, I could well be misreading things completely.

This.

And I'll add to it. It's a given that TH is never going to top 10 money, even if you plays top 10 football. He's never going to pass the eye test. He's too short. He doesn't have a big arm. He doesn't have the physical attributes teams are looking for. So, even if he balls out, it's always going to be, "well, his arm is not ideal". Or "he's shorter than we'd like".

So, he's never going to get top tier money.

I also think we can get him at a discount. At least as long as Scott Turner is here. Scott went to bat for him numerous time. Scott is the only coach that came to his workout. Kept getting him invites to teams, told him not to retire. I think we can get a discount for all of that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Anyone here have kids?  Do they play sports?  My 14 year old has played a variety of sports growing up, some better than others.  I recall him wanting to try soccer.  He’s not particularly fast nor does he really like to run.  But we signed him up and watched him play.  He stunk and never really had the mojo for it to care that much about getting better.  It was a one and done season.

Completely off topic here, but I was coaching a youth soccer team that switched to co-ed just before the season started and wound up with this tiny, mousy, incredibly shy Latina on the team.  Not a soccer talent by any stretch of the imagination.  One game, my son dribbles through the D right up to the goalie.  Easy shot for him, or he could have juked the goalie and walked it in, but he dinks it in front of this little girl that has run down the field by his side and she pokes it in for a goal.  I’ll remember that forever as I was absolutely bursting with pride for all manner of reasons.  What a moment.  Thanks for the reminder!

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

If Taylor finishes the season the way he's been playing so far, I'd offer him 3 years x $10M this off-season. Is he really in a position to say no to that?

He'd turn it down and bet on himself for his contract year next year, thats chump change considering the numbers he's on pace for this year.

Edited by Renegade7

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He'd turn it down and bet on himself for his contract year next year, thats chump change considering the numbers he's on pace for this year.

I'd honestly be ok with that. Rather give him big money after two straight years of good play then pay him after one.

• Like 2