Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Team vs. NYG III

KDawg

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Yeah, when they cut AP, I was thinking it was going to make them less predictable, but they're just as predictable as they otherwise would have been.  Run with Gibson in, throw with McKissic in.  And they seem to not use the 2 back sets as much as I would have expected, given the skillsets of Gibson and Mckissic.

It’s clear Mckissic is earning himself a role for the next Washington 2-3 year window. 

My hypothesis is Mckissic and Gibson were going to be used much more together on 1st downs and some on 2nd downs this past game, but the game flow impacted this greatly. In the beginning of the game we did see both on the field together a few times. 

The pattern I have gathered (laymen fan) is Gibson is the early down back with a mix of Mckissic, Mckissic is the 3rd and medium to long back, and Barber is the 3rd and 1 to 2 yard back. 

I think we’re going to continue to see an increase in both on the field at the same time in early downs when both run and pass are a threat. Having Mckissic and Gibson in the field together in a 3rd and medium or long probably isn’t appealing due to having to take a better pass catcher off the field. One could argue less snaps for Thomas and go with 3WR and 2RBs on 3rd down, debatable, but I can see that argument. One thing is clear, Mckissic is damn good at his role and playing himself into a long term role here. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He plays slow. What does speed matter if you don’t use it properly?

This is true, but he's definitely been an upgrade over Mason Foster in the speed department.  

But we should have expected this level of play.  We sign these journeyman, and they play to the level that gets them bounced around from team to team.  I think we're seeing why he can't stick anywhere.  

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He plays slow. What does speed matter if you don’t use it properly?

It’s just coaching philosophy, do you believe in having the mediocre cerebral or speed guy. This staff prefers speed. The staff believes in their system and simplifying things and letting the elite athletes run. The defense will always have a Bostic type starting (salary cap forces it) you just hope pieces around him and scheme can maximize his strengths. 

With that said, I agree the team needs to invest heavily in getting a good player in the middle.
I’m also not going to discount the defense overall making great leaps this year and on pace to finish near top 10 in many categories and advanced metrics. Bostic is a part of that and a very cheap rate. 

My opinion is that if someone is physically fast it doesn’t make a lick of a difference if they don’t also play that way.

Ive seen many guys with fast 40s look slower than guys who ran much slower 40s.

Speed in the NFL (or on a football field) doesn’t matter unless you can diagnose and play under control quickly. 

Bostic is physically fast. But he doesn’t play fast.

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

My opinion is that if someone is physically fast it doesn’t make a lick of a difference if they don’t also play that way.

Ive seen many guys with fast 40s look slower than guys who ran much slower 40s.

Speed in the NFL (or on a football field) doesn’t matter unless you can diagnose and play under control quickly. 

Bostic is physically fast. But he doesn’t play fast.

Bostic is faster and plays faster than Foster...definitely an upgrade

Martinez would have been an upgrade to Bostic...plays faster and is a better leader.

Yes the cost would have been more to sign him but the Redskins have cap space and could have could have removed a position off their lengthy need list. 

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Bostic is faster and plays faster than Foster...definitely an upgrade

Martinez would have been an upgrade to Bostic...plays faster and is a better leader.

Yes the cost would have been more to sign him but the Redskins have cap space and could have could have removed a position off their lengthy need list. 

Alex Smith 6 months ago was probably faster than Foster.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:12 PM, KDawg said:

Some additional nuggets:

The current single season receiving yard record for Washington is owned by Santana Moss in 2005 with 1483 yards. McLaurin’s current pace has him 100 yards exactly away from getting the record. He would need to average almost 100 yards a game to get there. 

Pierre Garçon in 2013 has the single season reception record at 113. He is 13 off the pace. He needs 7.88/game to get to Garcon’s mark.

Imagine his numbers if he had one of today's prolific QBs throwing him the football?  Or even an average QB?  We can dream.

Archived