Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Team vs. NYG III

KDawg

Just now, Leonard Washington said:

A few questions @KDawg

• No frowns for Logan Thomas?  He had a helluva first half for the Giants.
  • How did the play calling look in the second half?  It seems that we are starting to be come more effective at screens, but it could be the competition.
  • How effective/creative are our blitz packages and line games?

Logan Thomas wasn’t bad enough to make the cut. Peppers had my ire.

Pretty good play calling in the second half I think. First half not so much.

First glance we seemed very vanilla schematically on D and got more creative as the game went on. But to give good answers to the last two I’d have to rewatch the game and I don’t have the heart to do that.

Look. The O didn't do us any favours but our Dline needs to show up in that first half. They start hot with 4th down stop but after that the giants can just do what they want. 

I don't see enough disruptive plays against a really young Giants O line. We invested a lot, but we don't see any return. Where are the TFL? Where are the tipped passes at the line? Where are the inside pressure rushes that forces the QB in a quick throw? 

The hole idea of this D was that we don't have to bring to much pressure. Our Front 4 can dominate on there own. Right now we need to blitz to even get the front 4 to do anything. 

People have to realize that Chase Young isn't going to get double-teamed or in some cases yesterday triple-teamed if the rest of the D-line was taking care of business.  Chase Young is getting the attention of protection schemes on the other side, but on the flipside, if all the defense is worried about is blocking Young, it still makes it easier for them.  It seems like no one else on that line (besides Ionnadis is who out) is consistent.  We get a lot of spot play from them.  A good play here, good play there, maybe a solid contribution for a half, we need more from these guys if they want to be part of the long term plans.

Game was lost because of the turnovers. Not much more to be said there. We had two 100 yard receivers on the day. I don’t think I anticipated that at any point this season. Honestly the biggest head scratcher on the season continues to be Antonio Gibson’s usage. 

I just don’t get it. He was a wr in college. So why is Mckissic getting all the option routes? I’m not saying JD is playing badly. In fact he has been a pleasant surprise! But this should be Gibson’s bread and butter. He’s getting iced on 3rd downs and Late game situations. It doesn’t make sense to me. 

I thought that Smith made some good plays but geez, can't believe the interceptions in critical situations.  The game got started on a poor note and continued to go downhill although Smith did make a game of it I guess.  In the immortal words of Keanu Reeves...

"You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand. "

Also, I think it was a cheap shot on Allen no matter what the team or league says.  Watching the replay, it was obvious to me.

Turners offense isn’t something that scares anyone,  especially in the first half of games. Very little variation on the pre snap motion and doesn’t move his QBs launch point around (minus pressure ) much , that isn’t helping the receivers . Might be limited by the blocking or just tentative playcalling who knows but sure makes a turnover far more hard to overcome. Like to see him call deep shots early even if they are incomplete, it would at least loosen up the middle a bit. Of course it all means squat if you constantly turn it over. I’m also amazed how bad we are against the run, didn’t see that coming. 

1 minute ago, method man said:

@KDawg I guess Cooley will break it down this week but which linebackers were to blame for the run defense flaws. Was it all Bostic and SDH or was KPL fairly guilty as well? I'm trying to understand whether KPL could be a starter next year - I get he is not a star but can he be a mediocre starter

Id have to watch it back but it looked like all of them. Holcomb wasn’t as aggressive downhill on first watch. 

But again, I haven’t rewatched this yet so I may have a bad take here. Just basing this on my half ass first watch. 

They don’t flow downhill well as a unit. Might watch it a bit tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You could use the same or better justification for any of our divisional games though

True. Although we always find a way to lose on Monday nights, I’d imagine the jets are at least a bit better. The nfl has started to learn their lesson on having us on primetime 

I felt we had early momentum after the 4th and 1 defensive stop. On our first offensive play following the stop, the short pass to Gibson is going for big yards and he fumbles. We miss five chances at recovering the fumble, the Giants get it and things go downhill for us from there. Logan Thomas had the best shot to recover the loose ball, but tried to initially scoop it instead of falling on it and the ball squirted away. I would've really liked to see someone on our team just have the presence of mind to knock the ball out of bounds when it is the close to the boundary. The sideline is your teammate in that situation, simply bat the ball out of bounds and it equates to a recovery for us.

Turnovers obviously killed us again and we have 3 losses (Cleveland and the Giants twice) solely because of turnovers. Take away the giveaways in those games and we are 5-3 right now without question. Against the Giants alone we are -6 in turnovers in the two games and have lost both games by a combined 4 pts- simple math there. We absolutely have some issues to fix on both sides of the ball, but the turnovers are burying us. Without them we're in first place and are having a different conversation about this team right now. 

13 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Game was lost because of the turnovers. Not much more to be said there. We had two 100 yard receivers on the day. I don’t think I anticipated that at any point this season. Honestly the biggest head scratcher on the season continues to be Antonio Gibson’s usage. 

I just don’t get it. He was a wr in college. So why is Mckissic getting all the option routes? I’m not saying JD is playing badly. In fact he has been a pleasant surprise! But this should be Gibson’s bread and butter. He’s getting iced on 3rd downs and Late game situations. It doesn’t make sense to me. 

McKissic was a WR too in college who was converted to RB in the NFL. He honestly looks like a more natural pass catcher anyway

11 hours ago, method man said:

@KDawg I guess Cooley will break it down this week but which linebackers were to blame for the run defense flaws. Was it all Bostic and SDH or was KPL fairly guilty as well? I'm trying to understand whether KPL could be a starter next year - I get he is not a star but can he be a mediocre starter

Great question, especially with KPL.

Along the same lines, they made a decision to stick with Bostic and I was hoping they would have signed Blake Martinez instead. We knew what we got in Bostic and seemed he would be a bit better. Seeing him with the Giants we seems to have taken on a great leadership role as well as playing very consistant. I know he isn't a star but do think we would have been better with him in the middle for a couple years and focus on shoring up the OLBs

37 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Great question, especially with KPL.

Along the same lines, they made a decision to stick with Bostic and I was hoping they would have signed Blake Martinez instead. We knew what we got in Bostic and seemed he would be a bit better. Seeing him with the Giants we seems to have taken on a great leadership role as well as playing very consistant. I know he isn't a star but do think we would have been better with him in the middle for a couple years and focus on shoring up the OLBs

My guess is Blake doesn’t fit the physical profile that Ron and Jack prefer— SPEED. 

13 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Speaking of NY... How the heck did the Jets wind up on MNF????  better them, than us I guess!

GO JETS. Win a few games!

As bad as they are this year, people forget they were 7-9 last year and won 6 of 8 to end the year. I'm sure that played into it when they were putting together the schedule.  I think folks think they were 2-14 last year.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know why McKissick isn’t getting more carries. He’s a natural runner, quick, elusive. And if you actually let him run the ball it prevents the obvious tell that we’re passing when McKissick is in the game. 

Yeah, when they cut AP, I was thinking it was going to make them less predictable, but they're just as predictable as they otherwise would have been.  Run with Gibson in, throw with McKissic in.  And they seem to not use the 2 back sets as much as I would have expected, given the skillsets of Gibson and Mckissic.

Archived