Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Team vs. NYG III

KDawg

Offensive Summary:

-Things weren't going great in the early going... but when Allen went down things took a really bad turn for the worse morale wise. A dirty play, and yes it was absolutely a dirty play, took the quarterback out and took the wind out of the Team's sails. At halftime, the team bought into Smith enough to allow them to crawl back into it. Smith played with a set of brass balls, but unfortunately he threw those brass balls to the other team.

Smith played a style of game he doesn't often play: Gunslinger. He decided to go out there and let it rip. Which was a fun change of pace for him in the second half. But it was such a departure from his regular style that the good (McLaurin's ridiculous TD play where Smith threaded the needle between 3 defenders to McLaurin and then McLaurin breaking free and out running the entire Giant defense) stood out but the bad really stood out (the 3 picks). It was not a good game from Smith due to those turnovers. Throwing for 300+ doesn't do you any good if you're throwing the ball to the other team on three separate occasions. Two of which were in clutch moments of the game.

-There wasn't much of a running game to be found, but the backs being involved in the passing game was nice. Gibson looked like a rookie on that first fumble and the play where McKissick stepped out (barely, but he was out) was beautiful. 

-It's absolutely no surprise that Terry McLaurin once again proves to be this team's franchise player. He now has 50 receptions, 692 yards and 3 TD.

That puts him on pace for 100 catches, 1384 yards and 6 touchdowns. 

McLaurin started the game 45th in the franchise's history in receiving yards, he ended it at #37 with a career yard total of 1,611.

His next targets: 

James Thrash: 1620

Kelvin Bryant: 1634

Vernon Davis: 1721

Chris Thompson: 1772

Clint Didier: 1815

Dick Todd: 1836

Charlie Malone: 1932

Defensive Summary:

-Quick passing games have rendered the defensive line as virtually non existent in many avenues. Teams are catching and throwing and keeping our guys as far away from their quarterbacks as much as possible. Having said that, the team still managed to record 4 sacks. And Daron Payne made a fantastic play on a 4th and 1 to turn the ball over on downs. Payne is one of our best unheralded players on this team. He shows up game after game.

-The rush defense is porous, as it has been all season long. The Giants had 166 rushing yards on 35 carries. 4.7 yards per attempt. Yes, the defensive line could clog lanes better, but our linebackers reverted again and they didn't play downhill fast enough. They were more worried about the pass in this game than they were against Dallas and they got caught in their reads and not playing downhill. Cole Holcomb played reasonably well all things considered, and he is a guy that could play LB moving forward. But this team needs two more linebackers before we can be competitive. KPL is a good spark plug/coverage sub guy and absolutely has a role on the team.

-The defense's tackling is offensive. They are not bracketing guys and securing tackles. They are over running, forcing themselves into too many one on one tackle opportunities and losing. 

-Chase Young is beginning to take a beating from the fanbase. This is something I commented on multiple times in the draft thread from last season... People were hyping him up so hard that if he came in and played reasonably well but not 10+ sacks and dominant, this fan base would turn on him due to the generational talent hype. I also suggested that perhaps we should consider Tua or Herbert in that spot (more Tua than Herbert, but I liked Herbert a bit more than many). I was laughed at. Now it's obvious in my opinion: Chase Young is an amazing talent who will continue to grow and be a tremendous asset that we are lucky to have. However, given where this franchise is, a quarterback could have ended a lot of the QB drama early in the offseason and got us passed all of that early. Would Tua/Herbert have the same level of success here than elsewhere? That remains to be seen. 

I am not upset that we picked Young. It is hard to pass on his talent. So I will not say I regret the choice. I do, however, think that we should have taken looking at Tua and Herbert more seriously as a fan base... And I hope the franchise took it more seriously than we did.

-Montez Sweat had a beautiful PBU that may have saved the defense on that play. He is our current defensive MVP. In his second season. So hold on to your Chase Young hot takes for a bit :)

-We don't provide enough pressure to the QB via means other than front four rushing to be a turnover forcing defense. Quarterback's don't rush their reads enough. Pressure will force mistakes and allow Darby and Fuller to make plays.

-DeShazor Everett is a good tackler. He could possibly start at FS, though an upgrade wouldn't be a bad thing there.

-Kam Curl is aggressive and a thumper. He's okay in coverage, but he misses too many tackles. He needs to slow himself down before contact.

Overall Summary:

We once again lost to the Derogatory Terms for Large People. They have two wins. Both against us. Do the math. 

Studs/Duds:

***- Terry McLaurin

**- Daron Payne

*- Montez Sweat

:( -  Alex Smith

:( :( - Isaiah Wright (two fumbles!?)

:( :( :( - Jabril Peppers

Season Totals:

12* - Montez Sweat

9* - Terry McLaurin

4* - Daron Payne

4* Antonio Gibson

4 * - Chase Young

3* - Kendall Fuller

3 * - Ryan Kerrigan

2* - Cole Holcomb

2* - Kendall Fuller

2 * - Jon Allen

1 *- Fabian Moreau

1 *- Jimmy Moreland

1* - Matt Ioannidis

1 :( - Alex Smith

1 :( - Secondary as a whole.

1 :( - Brandon Scherff

2 :( - Isaiah Wright

2 :( - Dustin Hopkins

2 :( - Landon Collins

2 :( - Kyle Allen

2 :(  - Geron Christian

2 :( - Troy Apke

3 :( - Offensive Line as a whole.

3 :( - Wes Martin

3 :( - Steven Sims 

3 :( - Jon Bostic

3 :( - Jabril Peppers

4 :( - Dwayne Haskins

4 :( - Coverage Unit as a whole entire thing: LBs/Safeties

5 :( - Linebackers as a whole.

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Unsung hero award goes to Cornelius Lucas at OT.

According to the Grant and Danny show on 106.7 through two weeks he has no sacks, no hurries and has missed no assignments.

Who'da thunk it?

I'd have to re-watch to get a real feel on him, but our offensive line has absolutely looked better the last few weeks. I think Schweitzer/Scherff at guards alone helped to fix some big, glaring, nasty issues with it. I think Lucas is a slight upgrade to Christian at this stage.

We need a couple of linemen for sure, but it's looking pretty important that if this team intends to win games next year they need to get Scherff back in uniform... as long as he doesn't try to commit a robbery with his contract. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

-There wasn't much of a running game to be found, but the backs being involved in the passing game was nice. Gibson looked like a rookie on that first fumble and the play where McKissick stepped out (barely, but he was out) was beautiful. 

The running game is definitely an issue. We had what, about 40 yards total rushing, it seemed like ?

That's just not going to get it done.

Fortunately the big plays in the passing game kept us in it. And without them, it could have been a blowout.

But if we expect to win more than lose, we have to improve our running game...and like you also mentioned - our rushing defense, as well.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I don't think Alex Smith has ever been opposed to throwing the ball around, it's just that he has never been one to force it. 

He seemed to be forcing it on a couple of those interceptions, for whatever reason.

But the thing with Alex, is he's got such a high Football IQ, that I don't expect that to be a recurring issue.

Maybe if he didn't have the "leg history", he would have tried to run for yardage, rather than force those throws into INT's ?

To be fair, that first pick is not on Alex. The target (McKissic?) just straight up turf-monstered himself and so the ball was picked by the defender immediately behind him. The last two picks were on Alex, especially the third one where he just didn't see the defender dropping. Uncharacteristic of him, but I'll chalk that up to rust.

Defense played another great second half. They gave up 23 in total, but 7 of that came because of the muffed kick return which set them up at the 8 yard line. Special teams basically gifted them 7, so outside of that, the D gave up 16 points, and only 3 in the second half. They do need to start a bit better, and the run D has to get better. Decent performance overall though.

We turned the ball over 5 times and still only lost by 3. Giants are bad. At least now we have the head-to-head tiebreaker in the Tank World Series.

You didn't get into play calling which I think gets a "D" on both sides of the ball. If we are getting gashed in the run game then put in some run blitzes or load the box and dare Jones to beat you.

Offensively, I think it took too long for Turner to figure things out although he can't control the turnovers for the most part. I'd like to see some more QB rollouts in the future to see if that helps protect Alex from being a sitting duck. I'd also like to see Steve Sims Jr. get more touches, maybe in a way like Carolina is using Curtis Samuel. I think Sims can add another dimension if we focus on using him more. One more thing, why not use Gibson as a WR when McKissic is in the backfield on 2nd/3rd and long? Gibson can catch the ball too.

With the positives from this game, to me it's clear that it's best NOT to tank.

It's more than simply because we "have a chance" at postseason. But if you want to improve as a team, from year to year, it must be from game to game, as well. Forget about tanking, forget about next year's draft, and consider each game as a building block and learning experience for success. That is more important than the difference between 2 different slots in a draft.

I'll take a team that learned to gel, during a season they barely missed the playoffs - than a team who tanked, and moved up several slots in the draft, but still has the same fundamental issues of execution, and lack of practice/experience in how to pull out wins at the ends of games.

That leg whip was brutal to watch... and it was mosdef intentional (not the injury). Peppers though he missed the tackle and tried to trip him up by rolling towards him. He should have been ejected... but I don't think it would have made a difference in the game. Team morale appears low, and the fact than I did not see anyone jump to Allen's defense when he went down, exemplifies that.

1 minute ago, Passizle said:

That leg whip was brutal to watch... and it was mosdef intentional (not the injury). Peppers though he missed the tackle and tried to trip him up by rolling towards him. He should have been ejected... but I don't think it would have made a difference in the game. Team morale appears low, and the fact than I did not see anyone jump to Allen's defense when he went down, exemplifies that.

It's crazy that other QB hits by comparison, that are far less dangerous, and far less malicious intent, get called penalties, fined, disciplined etc.

Know what I mean ?

On 11/9/2020 at 2:28 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's crazy that other QB hits by comparison, that are far less dangerous, and far less malicious intent, get called penalties, fined, disciplined etc.

Know what I mean ?

I agree.  He didn't simply stick his leg out.  It was as aggressive a leg whip as I've ever seen.  It looked malicious, although it may simply have been done out of desperation.

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think my favorite part of this whole game is this:

7B9ED1C7-BD53-459E-8CEA-1F4C635308D1.jpeg.f1ca0e44d078f635c0389293d1c027a2.jpeg

Our defensive coordinator is not only responding to an account with like 70 followers...  it he said “you’re not the boss of me”

Yikes. 

This isnt gonna end well if this is how he's gonna behave.

We played unbelievably badly in the first half. 

Two lost fumbles in the first ten minutes helped put us in a hole early - then there was a sequence when we had a 2nd and short inside the 10 and had a false start and holding penalty back to back. Ended up kicking the FG. Starting with that false start we had 4 penalties (3 dead ball) in a 6 snap period (one on defense). Thats just bad football. You don't win games turning the ball over 5 times and committing dumb penalties even if you are playing a bad team.

We have a defense that is good enough to win games when paired with a good offense. But we just don't have the talent on offense to have any margin for error with turnovers and mental errors. If the other team beats you thats one thing - but we beat ourself yesterday. 

On Alex Smith the second half up to the last two drives was probably the best QB play we have seen all year. BUT it's clear he needs a clean pocket to be effective. If he gets pressure he just cant move like he used to be able to and he's a sitting duck. Teams will see that (its so obvious) and game plan to pressure him and cover the short routes and run trap coverages on McLaurin since he gets most of the targets. 

The second pick he threw when he threw an air ball towards McKissic was a result of pressure (but still a horrible decision and throw) and the third pick looked like a trap coverage with the safety coming off another man to undercut the throw to McLaurin (have not seen a good replay of that so might be wrong).

On defense the inability to stop the Giants running game behind a line with iffy tackles and back up running backs was troubling. I agree with @KDawg that the linebackers are the problem more than the D'Line in that respect. I said before the season started that the 'backers worried me and thats been shown to be true. We need two new starting 'backers for next year (Holcomb can play). 

Oh and the leg whip on Allen - dirty play. Should get a fine from the league.

It would be a minor miracle if we somehow unearth some dependable OL players from this group. Lucas/Schweitzer and hopefully Charles helps next season...a little bit..still need a couple more in as upgrades. 

QB, need a #1 TE, need a #2 WR, couple of linebackers and a look at safety competition.  Not sure why Reid can’t get an affordable 18month deal from us.

Some additional nuggets:

The current single season receiving yard record for Washington is owned by Santana Moss in 2005 with 1483 yards. McLaurin’s current pace has him 100 yards exactly away from getting the record. He would need to average almost 100 yards a game to get there. 

Pierre Garçon in 2013 has the single season reception record at 113. He is 13 off the pace. He needs 7.88/game to get to Garcon’s mark.

Archived