Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Guess who else doesn’t have any playoff wins? Taylor Heinicke.  I’d roll with him before giving the Lions a bunch of draft picks for a 33 year old veteran with no career playoff wins.  Call me crazy.

I love Taylor and think he has everything needed but the fame and bulk needed to take the hits of a 300 lb. DL for a full 16 game season let alone even an 8 game season.  IF he COULD doubt it by his frame put on muscle weight to 220lbs, we'd have something there.  I'm starting to think and not my first option that the WFT will be ALL in on Stafford even if it cost us our 2022 1st round pick and that sickens me.  I'd rather spend our 2022 1st round pick and a 3rd on moving up in this years draft and securing one of the top 4 (likely Wilson or Lance) or possibly moving a pick in this year's draft and drafting Jones.  I think he will surprise in the NFL.  RR wants to win now so he probably goes ALL in on Stafford at all cost including, like I said a 2022 1st round pick too. :(

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Stafford is a legit QB... i'd trade a 1st for him in a second. If there is any chance in hell of WTF getting him... i would be all in

It's gonna cost more.  There are teams that want to trade for him also.  RR's want to win now will probably cost him to throw in another 1st rounder (2022's 1st round pick).  Still cool with that?

Damn, slept through all the fun.

Please make this happen. Pick #19 has to be offered up. Don’t think that will be enough though, plus he’s got to be after a new deal as part of the trade, that would be my guess.

Stafford back to his college number 7. He ain’t rocking 9.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Damn, slept through all the fun.

Please make this happen. Pick #19 has to be offered up. Don’t think that will be enough though, plus he’s got to be after a new deal as part of the trade, that would be my guess.

Stafford back to his college number 7. He ain’t rocking 9.

Joey shouldn't have okay'd DH getting that number, now it's forever open to any stud QB that wants it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TK said:

Nah just messing with you guys. Personally, I’d rather grab Jones from Bama if he’s there at 19 & that’s before he’s had his Combine/workout/evaluation. Mainly because he’d be on a rookie deal & if you can sit him a year or two behind Stafford, even better. 

I'm all in for Jones at #19 but what do you think the WFT has to give up to acquire Stafford too?

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'm all in for Jones at #19 but what do you think the WFT has to give up to acquire Stafford too?

Detroit will undoubtedly try to fleece us for two 1's. If it was strictly Dan's call he'd be perfectly okay with that since he doesn't give a damn about draft picks and loves QBs but I'm hoping RR has a more reasonable and long-term perspective.

• Like 2

Three 1's and a second and a third (not saying which years) for Watson and let's ****ing go.

You gotta believe we'd be spending a #1 on a QB in the next three years anyway, so in my mind it's 2 1's, a second and a third.  And instead of fumbling around trying to draft and develop a quarterback which we haven't been able to do since...well, ever....we know we've actually got one. 

That's a lot of picks but whatever, to finally solve the QB position once and for all, it's worth it to me.  

17 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Detroit will undoubtedly try to fleece us for two 1's. If it was strictly Dan's call he'd be perfectly okay with that since he doesn't give a damn about draft picks and loves QBs but I'm hoping RR has a more reasonable and long-term perspective.

TK actually quoted:  "Nah just messing with you guys. Personally, I’d rather grab Jones from Bama if he’s there at 19 & that’s before he’s had his Combine/workout/evaluation. Mainly because he’d be on a rookie deal & if you can sit him a year or two behind Stafford, even better."

Thus, I asked him: " I'm all in for Jones at #19 but what do you think the WFT has to give up to acquire Stafford too?"  We give our #19 for Jones so we'd have to give our 1st in 2022 and a possibly a pick this year or next or maybe a player to have them both on the team, IMO.  Curious to see what TK thinks.  I agree though for Stafford a 1st and I said earlier in a post plus a 3rd in this years draft, I think should be the limit.  Other teams with higher draft picks could offer their 1st this year and be more enticing to the Lions.  I am ALL in for Jones at #19 though. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I could also see Jerruh in the race for Stafford. Oh the irony if the pukes snagged him and a scorned Dak joined the WFT.

If Dallas were to do that (I don’t think they will) them Dak’s price tag probably goes down a little bit in FA without Jones throwing ridiculous money at him (though it may not go down given how desperate NFL teams are).

Honestly, if we have to sign a big name I’d rather wind up with Dak and not lose our draft picks. 

I do think Stafford is an excellent player, though. I just struggle with the idea of throwing too many resources at the problem. I think I might be okay with a single first and nothing else... but a 1 and 2 or two 1s, or whatever is a bit much for a guy who is getting older, has a lot of wear and tear on the tires and hasn’t been a part of a winning culture.

I do wonder if Stafford fits what Rivera said he values in a QB: mobility. He isn’t a runner but he is good in the pocket. 

A healthy Dak offers a bit more in that department. But again: is Dak healthy? And if he gets away from Dallas his cap hit is going to be astronomical.

As players which do I prefer strictly of the 2? Not sure. Dak has had a TON of weapons associated with his recent success. While Stafford has had not much around him besides one or two guys a year. 

I think just based on the eye test that Dak has been better recently... but that injury and the weapons make that a difficult call. Dak’s been a part of more of a winning org. Than Stafford and that winners experience is valuable but not the end all be all.

With Stafford actually being available he is “easier” to get though, considering Dak right now likely winds up in Dallas. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I am. 19 this year and 32 next year. Not bad. 

I was saying #19 for Jones alone and that's what TK was saying.  But what are you going to pay to also have Stafford on the team?  You must be saying you'd pay #19 and a #32 for Stafford?  I'm confused at what your saying.  

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I was saying #19 for Jones alone and that's what TK was saying.  But what are you going to pay to also have Stafford on the team?  You must be saying you'd pay #19 and a #32 for Stafford?  I'm confused at what your saying.  

You were pretty clearly talking about Stafford in your post. And yeah I’d do two 1s if needed, 19 this year and 32 overall next year. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pats wanted Diggs.  Considering how the team fell out of the map just like last season without a passing game, I gather they are in the Qb sweepstakes this off season. 

I interpret it as since the Pats missed out on DIggs they plan on being aggressive on WRs this year not the QB.  Maybe I misinterpreted it.  

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I interpret it as since the Pats missed out on DIggs they plan on being aggressive on WRs this year not the QB.  Maybe I misinterpreted it.  

for that article specifically yes.  But they've been rumored in other articles to be in the QB sweepstakes, it's no secret that Cam didn't work out and they are likely starting over at QB.  they've gone from being a perennial playoff team/SB team to a losing team in one fell swoop.  I suspect they won't try to fix that by going with a low key game manager type this off season. 

Meet the Matthew Stafford known only by his inner circle

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Matthew Stafford is curious. He’ll hear about a topic, it’ll intrigue him and soon enough, he’s down a wormhole of Internet interest. He’ll search out articles written about it. He’ll start reading books on the subject.

It’s his quest to learn. He is mostly “a read for entertainment person,” but it goes deeper than that. Stafford will read just about anything, from the latest John Grisham thriller to books explaining the complexities of one of his greatest fascinations: space. He reads books on different religions, just to expand his point of view. When he reads one he likes, he’ll recommend it to his close friends, recently suggesting David Baldacci novels to college buddy Kris Durham.

When he meets someone in the finance or real-estate worlds, he’ll start asking detailed questions about their jobs to pick up knowledge on something he doesn’t know as much about. Stafford wants to gather as many viewpoints as possible, part of how the Detroit Lions quarterback shapes his worldview.

“I think a lot of people in this world live in like a vacuum. They believe one thing and then only listen to only that one thing and don’t listen to anything else,” Stafford told ESPN.com recently. “You know, it’s as evident as anything in politics these days. Every Republican listens to Fox News, and every Democrat listens to CNN -- and probably deletes the channel off DirecTV of the other one. They just live in a vacuum and say, ‘Here’s what I believe and I’m just going to listen to that all day and I’m going to hear it and I’m going to go, yes, yes, yes, I’m right, I’m right, I’m right.’

“Well, I like to kind of go the opposite route of that and say, ‘I may believe something or think something, but I know there’s people out there that believe and think the opposite, so might as well hear them out.’”

Almost 30 seconds later, Stafford admitted, “I don’t even like that I just told you that.”

Stafford is an intensely private person. He doesn’t have an Instagram account. He deleted his Twitter account. And long ago, he ditched Facebook. As his fame increased, Stafford eschewed social media. He doesn’t want it. He doesn’t need it. In his world, it would be “just phone calls and text messages, and that’s about it.” His wife, Kelly, is very active on some of the platforms, particularly Instagram, but that’s the extent of his involvement.

Stafford has been in the public spotlight since his sophomore year at Highland Park High in Dallas. And it’s been a part of his life ever since, as one of the nation’s top high school recruits, a three-year starting quarterback at football-mad Georgia, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the starting quarterback of the Lions for the past eight seasons and in the conversation for the NFL’s Most Valuable Player award this season.

His privacy hasn’t been so private for a long time now. Yet it’s something he strives for, to live as much of his life in semi-anonymity as he can, even as millions watch him each Sunday.

“I like having privacy,” Stafford said. “I like having a personal life.”

He deflects most questions about his off-field life. When people see him in public, he’s cordial. He’ll take a picture, have a small conversation. But the limelight is never something he seeks. It’s just part of the gig.

There’s a different side, one seen by only his family and a close circle of friends, mostly from his middle school days in Texas and college at Georgia. Occasionally, he’ll provide glimpses of it in public, but he’ll never share too much about himself.

“He’s not going to be out there in your face,” said Pan Lucas, one of Stafford’s closest friends. “He’s the same guy that just wants to throw the baseball in his yard. He just has a bigger house now.”

'Our friend Matthew'

To them, he’s just “Matthew.” They look at his job as a quarterback in the NFL as a profession, nothing more. It’s because their friendships -- for the most part -- date back to days before Stafford’s fame. They remember the biggest kid on the basketball court getting frustrated with his smaller friends when they would dribble past him to the hoop. They remember the college student pumped up by reaching free-burrito status on his Chipotle punch card.

Sports, as so often happens, connected Stafford with the majority of his close friends. He met his high school friends as kids on baseball, basketball and football teams. His close college friends were recruited with him to Georgia.

And they all say the same thing: Stafford is just a normal dude. He likes watching the History Channel. He’d prefer to stay home than go out.

"He does what every other human does. He goes to work. He comes home. He deals with a nagging wife. He deals with family and he gets up and does it all over again," Kelly said. "But he doesn’t consider himself special in any regards, which he’s not.

"He knows that he throws a football well and that’s a God-given talent, and he’s brilliant and that’s God-given too, and luckily for him it has just worked out in his favor."

The intelligence does help in an area he uses often with his friends: sarcastic humor. Say a word wrong and Stafford will pounce with a one-liner. When asked about it, he half-smiles and quickly shoots out: “Don’t mess up.”

"He's the wittiest person I know," Kelly said. "Which is part of the reason I fell in love with him because he's just so smart."

“Probably riding a bus in the minor leagues, trying to play baseball somewhere,” Stafford said. “I have no idea. Football is a big part of my life, but I don’t know if I could coach. Just I see the hours those guys put in and it’s pretty incredible.

“I don’t know if I could do that, honestly. There’s a lot of, like, random stuff that interests me.”

That mind helped him become a good quarterback. In meeting rooms, he’s able to dissect a play, dart into another meeting room, throw a play out and ask receivers or tight ends to review it. It’s displayed in the notes he takes and uses for preparation.

It’s verbalized in Wednesday planning meetings, when he typically comes in with notes for offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter and quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan. Stafford is more laid back about it than the other quarterback Cooter and Callahan have worked with, Peyton Manning, but Stafford can be direct when he believes a play will succeed.

“He understands that we don’t need to do a bunch of -- we kind of do what we do and we don’t need a bunch of new things,” Callahan said. “But he’ll have, every week -- in every area of the field, in terms of third down, red zone, kind of our base stuff -- he’ll have a couple ideas. Some he’ll be like, ‘Hey, what do you think about this?’ Kind of more curious to see if it works or it doesn’t.

“Or he’ll have a couple of things that he’ll be like, ‘I really like this this week.’ He’s open and we’re open for hearing it from him.”

The coordinator and quarterbacks coach had similar thoughts: If Stafford is gung-ho about a play, it’s much more likely to work.

https://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/27234/matthew-stafford-stays-true-to-himself-loved-ones-by-keeping-close

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

for that article specifically yes.  But they've been rumored in other articles to be in the QB sweepstakes, it's no secret that Cam didn't work out and they are likely starting over at QB.  they've gone from being a perennial playoff team/SB team to a losing team in one fell swoop.  I suspect they won't try to fix that by going with a low key game manager type this off season. 

They are higher in the pecking order of the draft so they have the advantage of us with their 1st round pick for Stafford if they want him. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pats wanted Diggs.  Considering how the team fell out of the map just like last season without a passing game, I gather they are in the Qb sweepstakes this off season. 

Pats have a load of cap space too. Got to think they are going heavy in several areas this offseason. Can’t imagine they want a 2020 re-run.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Lets say for argument sake Mac Jones burns up the Senior Bowl, probably what that likely accomplishes is Jones won't be here.  If you like Jones, you'd want to root for a "meh" week at the Senior Bowl.  Too many QB needy teams picking ahead of us IMO.  And Jones IMO isn't the kind of talent that you trade next years 2022 #1 for in a trade up for.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

The quarterback carousel has continued to turn in Washington for almost 20 years. Stafford’s identity within a new-found culture in D.C. could return the burgundy and gold back to the playoffs, and bear with me, even further. 

The connections run deep with Stafford in Washington. Newly hired team general manager Martin Mayhew turned the card in to select Stafford as the No.1 overall pick back in 2009 as the Lions’ general manager. Additionally, Alex Smith, a good friend of Stafford’s, is represented by the same agent, Tom Condon.

Looking further, behind a budding defense led by Chase Young and proven young talents on offense in Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gibson, Ron Rivera would quickly have his answer at quarterback not just for 2021, but for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lets say for argument sake Mac Jones burns up the Senior Bowl, probably what that likely accomplishes is Jones won't be here.  If you like Jones, you'd want to root for a "meh" week at the Senior Bowl.  Too many QB needy teams picking ahead of us IMO.  And Jones IMO isn't the kind of talent that you trade next years 2022 #1.

I agree with no more than #19 for Jones.  If Jones climbs up the boards then that leaves Lance and Wilson possibly falling and I would be ok with them too.  I would trade trade a 2022 1st for Wilson or Lance because they are more talented than Jones but then again if the WFT team see in Jones/Wilson/Lance.