Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is how I know we’ve gone way off the rails. 

“That kind of talent in DC”. 

Multiple firsts for a top 15ish QB and we are citing his talent. 

Who would have thought Stafford would have gone for 2 1st and a 3rd?  Not I.  

3 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

This is probably what’s going to happen 

Hou gets LV 17th, 48th, 22’ 1st, WFT 19th, Maxx Crosby

LV gets Deshaun Watson, WFT 82nd pick

WFT gets Derek Carr

I would like the deal   Our #19 and 3rd rounder.  Bruce, what are you doing on ES?  Missing Snyder yet.  How's retirement.  Just kidding.  :)

Man. No interest in Carr for our 1st. Especially not if we’re talking a 1 and 3. He’s not a bad QB. But we could have had Stafford for two 1s, the second of which would have been next year’s... Saying Carr is worth the same number of picks, both of which are this year’s picks? Hard pass. Rather roll with Heinicke and Allen. 

Just now, carex said:

if Darnold is worth a first still after his very low success, why isn't someone like Mitch Trubisky the hot free agent?

When Carr is traded it MAY start a domino effect.  Darnold is not worth a 1st to me but again the QB market is nuts right now.  A lot of teams are looking for a vet QB and Stafford started this thing.

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

What do you want to happen personally?

If we get Watson it’s two firsts, two seconds. I’d include ONE DL if I had to but neither edge guy or Payne.

they have until the draft to accept that deal.

The only other way I pull that offer back is if we get Prescott in FA, which isn’t likely. 

Draft day I try what I can to move a similar package as I’d be willing to offer for Watson, but slightly less (no DL, try to preserve a first and maybe add a bit more back end) to draft Fields, Wilson or Lance. 

If we strike out there I draft a mid round prospect like Buechele. 

After the draft I revisit Houston’s position (pending we didn’t get a top end blue chip QB). I am more willing to negotiate because we have already doled out cash in the first major FA period and draft picks for the 2021 season. At this point I COULD be willing to raise my draft pick offer but in turn I pull the player off the deal.

And see what happens.

If nothing I’m content riding with Heinicke, Allen and a rookie for this next season. But the QB answer has to happen soon. 

If an offer like Carr for a third or even a second, which I don’t love, comes on the table you call all parties you are talking to and give them a chance to pull the trigger. If we can get to #3 in the draft or Watson for the deal I outlined or Dak to sign at that point those are primary and you reject a Carr trade. If you can’t you take Carr and forget about it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So if you listen to the Cooley film breakdowns, he goes through Settle pretty bluntly.  He pointed out several instances where Settle just gets moved easily, and on most posts he’s just there.  

He’s best when he’s attacking and only in limited reps.  He is a good rotational guy but nowhere near the physical talent of the other guys.

Something I never really noticed I guess. I knew he wasn't as good at anchoring as Allen or Payne but I didn't think it was some sort of liability. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Man. No interest in Carr for our 1st. Especially not if we’re talking a 1 and 3. He’s not a bad QB. But we could have had Stafford for two 1s, the second of which would have been next year’s... Saying Carr is worth the same number of picks, both of which are this year’s picks? Hard pass. Rather roll with Heinicke and Allen. 

Thanks for your input...just mentioned how I wanna hear what the community here wants..so you think if we landed carr and got a good wr in fa this offense wouldn't make us a contender?

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we get Watson it’s two firsts, two seconds. I’d include ONE DL if I had to but neither edge guy or Payne.

they have until the draft to accept that deal.

The only other way I pull that offer back is if we get Prescott in FA, which isn’t likely. 

Draft day I try what I can to move a similar package as I’d be willing to offer for Watson, but slightly less (no DL, try to preserve a first and maybe add a bit more back end) to draft Fields, Wilson or Lance. 

If we strike out there I draft a mid round prospect like Buechele. 

After the draft I revisit Houston’s position (pending we didn’t get a top end blue chip QB). I am more willing to negotiate because we have already doled out cash in the first major FA period and draft picks for the 2021 season. At this point I COULD be willing to raise my draft pick offer but in turn I pull the player off the deal.

And see what happens.

If nothing I’m content riding with Heinicke, Allen and a rookie for this next season. But the QB answer has to happen soon. 

If an offer like Carr for a third or even a second, which I don’t love, comes on the table you call all parties you are talking to and give them a chance to pull the trigger. If we can get to #3 in the draft or Watson for the deal I outlined or Dak to sign at that point those are primary and you reject a Carr trade. If you can’t you take Carr and forget about it.

So you would like the team to trade for Watson and use one of the d linemen minus the edge and payne in the trade?..I'll go over your response several times to try to get it..please dont take that as a poke at you..I'm just stupid when it comes to reading haha..

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Something I never really noticed I guess. I knew he wasn't as good at anchoring as Allen or Payne but I didn't think it was some sort of liability. 

Take it fir what it’s worth but Cooley wasn’t high on him in a lot of games.  Now, Cooley is NOT the be-all, end-all of player evaluations.  But he does put in as much time doing it for this team as anybody in the media, so I trust his opinion more than anything I can come up with based on watching myself.

My memory says Settle had a few good games as a reserve. And there were times they went 5 down linemen to stop the run, and he was effective in that as well.  

But from what Cooley described, the drop off from Payne/Allen to Settle is extremely noticeable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

So you would like the team to trade for Watson and use one of the d linemen minus the edge and payne in the trade?..I'll go over your response several times to try to get it..please dont take that as a poke at you..I'm just stupid when it comes to reading haha..

I’d like to get Watson. But not at the price they are shopping. 3 firsts, a couple 2s and two players.

I’d be willing to go 2 ones, 2 twos and one player but NOT Sweat/Young or Payne. 

That is my max offer. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Take it fir what it’s worth but Cooley wasn’t high on him in a lot of games.  Now, Cooley is NOT the be-all, end-all of player evaluations.  But he does put in as much time doing it for this team as anybody in the media, so I trust his opinion more than anything I can come up with based on watching myself.

My memory says Settle had a few good games as a reserve. And there were times they went 5 down linemen to stop the run, and he was effective in that as well.  

But from what Cooley described, the drop off from Payne/Allen to Settle is extremely noticeable.

Of course it is. Settle is a decent enough pass rusher and quality depth, but there’s a reason he plays the least of the primary 4 defensive tackles that we have.

• Like 1

K I'm picking up what you're laying down now k dwag..that makes sense ..many routes the skins can go..is this not one of the greatest off seasons in a long ass time?.. a lot of folks don't think the offense is good enough to roll but I say otherwise if we can somewhat match up to that defense boy howdy let's get this Super Bowl over with and on to the off-season LOL

Edited by bakedtater1

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If Sam Darnold's value is a 1st, Watson's value should be like 9 1sts. 

Sam Darnold was as bad as Haskins last year. Something isn't adding up. 

This is smoke screen season. There is so much misdirection and non sense put out by teams.

I bet it was the Jets who leaked that to at least raise his value slightly from a fifth to like a third. 

• Like 2

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

If Sam Darnold's value is a 1st, Watson's value should be like 9 1sts. 

Sam Darnold was as bad as Haskins last year. Something isn't adding up. 

It's not.  Darnold hasn't put up good numbers because of issues with the D but he's not even close in the conversation with Carr.  Carr has put up very good stats year in and out.  He's had no complete D behind him.  Yes, Mack and a few other talented D players.  Washington has a very talented and growing D.  Del Rio, Carr's one time HC is here in Washington.  A lot makes sense of Carr2DC to me.  

3 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

Mariota has something to prove, and I think that's the kind of player RR likes and does well with. 

Well, Mariota was basically free last offseason. I mean not literally free, but was a free agent and found no starting jobs. Washington had a wasteland at the QB position and showed no interest. Suggests to me Ron is not a Mariota fan.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

It's not.  Darnold hasn't put up good numbers because of issues with the D but he's not even close in the conversation with Carr.  Carr has put up very good stats year in and out.  He's had no complete D behind him.  Yes, Mack and a few other talented D players.  Washington has a very talented and growing D.  Del Rio, Carr's one time HC is here in Washington.  A lot makes sense of Carr2DC to me.  

Good stuff here..the more I read about the possibility of carr here the more I like it..I like the bit about him and jdr's connection ..I could see jdr possibly pushing it.

• Like 1

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Good stuff here..the more I read about the possibility of carr here the more I like it..I like the bit about him and jdr's connection ..I could see jdr possibly pushing it.

Yep, possibly is the key word.  Del Rio and Carr and the team were like family.  Great article in this thread that SIP posted.  Thanks for posting that, SIP.  :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Well, Mariota was basically free last offseason. I mean not literally free, but was a free agent and found no starting jobs. Washington had a wasteland at the QB position and showed no interest. Suggests to me Ron is not a Mariota fan.

Mariota would be a way after the draft thing like early camp we trade 5th for him..a 5th would be a stretch even.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If an offer like Carr for a third or even a second, which I don’t love,

If he is made available, I think Carr is going to command a higher price than you think.  

The problem is the number of teams who need a QB: Us, Indy, NE, Jets (maybe because they have the second pick), maybe Steelers, Saints, Jax, Carolina, Bears..

I’m assuming in the end Dak stays in Dallas in the end.  The FAs are all meh to Godawful. 

And there are only 3 or 4 solutions in the draft. 

If the Jets pick a QB, then Darnold will be available.  

Unless GB loses its mind, Carr is probably the best remaining QB who might be available in a trade.  

So there are going to be teams left out in the cold. So IF Carr is made available, he’s a better option to a lot of these teams than the alternative.  Which is going to drive up the price. 

It’s interesting, 2, maybe 3 perennial “top 10” guys are hanging them up this year.  Brees, Rivers and Rothlisburger.  Combine that with the normal 5-7 teams per year trying to find a QB, there are a lot more openings than solutions this year.

• Like 2