Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Startup Founders/Entrepreneurs?

mistertim

I was a cofounder on a startup with some other guys.  I basically wrote the entire software and it was an iOS dating app.  After like 4 years of work it went no where. 

The problem was we had no clue how to market it and we needed a lot more money than we ever thought we would need in order to do it properly.  We also had no experience trying to raise funding and we could never even get discussions with anyone to even pitch them.  Most of the companies we talked to about funding us said going to them with the software completed was actually a negative.  Typically they would prefer it to be in conceptual phases.  Which we did not expect because we thought having the cost of the software already be dealt with woul be great.  But apparently it wasn't at all.

So after like 4-5 years I just got off of it and it ended up going nowhere.  I did learn a ton doing it though so that is good.

27 minutes ago, clietas said:

Found an LLC not an S corp. Less paper work n you don't have to file taxes quarterly. 

Single member LLC's do have to file quarterly taxes but maybe it differs state to state, a Sole Proprietor does not have to file quarterly but files the same Schedule C that a LLC files although LLC's can also file as an S corp.

14 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Single member LLC's do have to file quarterly taxes but maybe it differs state to state, a Sole Proprietor does not have to file quarterly but files the same Schedule C that a LLC files although LLC's can also file as an S corp.

In NC if you keep your LLC as a disregarded entity, no C or S corp tax rate, its supposed to be treated as if it doesn't exist basically. You just pass all the taxes to yourself n can file a 1040 normally. 

Its confusing AF here. I just pay an CPA now to handle it. Oh also don't go to HR Block if you have a business. They no know jack ****.

5 minutes ago, clietas said:

I NC if you keep your LLC as a disregarded entity, no C or S corp tax rate, its supposed to be treated as if it doesn't exist basically. You just pass all the taxes to yourself n can file a 1040 normally. 

Its confusing AF here. I just pay an CPA now to handle it. Oh also don't go to HR Block if you have a business. They no know jack ****.

I do it because I don't like writing that check for the full amount when it's time to file, not that it changes what I pay but carrying tax liability and writing one big check at filing gives me anxiety.

Make sure you have all your tax stuff squared away.  Make sure you know the local and state laws, for example if you live in Arlington, VA, not only are there tax laws for VA but also the city of Arlington.  Not everyone has those, but make sure you don't overlook anything.

And the best defense is offense.  All offense, all the time.  

EDIT:  And keep that monthly nut low.  Avoid chasing shiny objects.

I started an LLC in Virginia when I retired as I anticipated doing some part time IT (ERP) consulting locally. I file taxes as a Sole Proprietor and use Quickbooks Self-employed to track everything during the year.  It integrates with Turbotax which I have used for years. QB is $25/month. 

As others have stated, spend time to calculate your estimated taxes now making sure to include ALL income (interest, cap gains/losses, etc.) not just your expected income from your LLC. Push the limits on the deductions but pay Fed, State & Local taxes on time. They don't like it when you're late

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yes I realize the OP is a tad vague. I'm mostly looking to talk to others who've been in the same predicament and might have some insightsl

Any specifics? A decent source of info is Saastr.com. And the principal there, Jason Lemkin co-authored a book full of tips called From Impossible to Inevitable which could be worth reading dependent on your background. It mostly talks to entrepreneurs about positioning, sales and product-market fit.

22 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Are you developing a software solution, providing managed services, consulting, etc? 

Providing managed services mostly. Basically building the infrastructure where companies can put their software. Very cloud-like but with the processing being pushed down to the edges of the network closer to where the devices request and send data. 

Archived