Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

This DL is most likely going to special and I figured since this group will be the most talked about position group on our team, we might as well have a thread we can chat about them. I'll keep editing this first post every week with their current stats on the year. So let's start off with week 1 and see where they're at. The data i'll be gathering is from Pro Football Reference. (I'll add players as they accumulate stats so this will include Settle and Anderson soon)

image.png.7c31b6767acae238d5f1437a2b9e0dc8.png

Jonathan Allen

Tackles: 38 // Sacks: 2.0 // FF: 0 // TFL: 1 // QB Hits: 3 // QB Pressures: 10

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo01.htm

image.png.bcb4da2f526864813947c48064abb1c1.png 

Ryan Anderson

Tackles: 9 // Sacks: 0 // FF: 0 // TFL: 1 // QB Hits: 0 // Pressures: 1

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AndeRy00.htm

image.png.3b29f79e110408430870cc8f8081b546.png

Matthew Ioannidis **Out for the rest of 2020 season** 😭

Tackles: 7 // Sacks: 1.5 // FF: 0 // TFL: 2 // QB Hits: 4 // QB Pressures: 5

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/I/IoanMa01.htm

image.png.0fc1a8f211ea44600b660bdca3734239.png

Ryan Kerrigan

Tackles: 9 // Sacks: 4.5 // FF: 0 // TFL: 4 // QB Hits: 5 // QB Pressures: 7

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KerrRy00.htm

image.png.05145e5395abeec4454c057956bbe59b.png

Daron Payne

Tackles: 32 // Sacks: 0.5 // FF: 1 // TFL: 3 // QB Hits: 3 // QB Pressures: 7

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PaynDa00.htm

image.png.a032e92489f28eb6d6e0a55481db6982.png 

Tim Settle

Tackles: 14 // Sacks: 3.0 // FF: 0 // TFL: 3 // QB Hits: 4 // QB Pressures: 4

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SettTi00.htm

image.png.0de2b22b824bf88bc003114f8ba6738a.png 

James Smith-Williams

Tackles: 5 // Sacks: 0 // FF: 0 // TFL: 2 // QB Hits: 0 // Pressures: 0

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJa08.htm

image.png.8bd8c79cae427af6b803ab21bc633f2f.png

Montez Sweat

Tackles: 23 // Sacks: 5.0 // FF: 2 // TFL: 6 // QB Hits: 12 // QB Pressures: 17

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SweaMo00.htm

image.png.10e75a961c23c39b2e66be7f09a208d9.png

Chase Young

Tackles: 22 // Sacks: 3.5 // FF: 1 // TFL: 5 // QB Hits: 4 // QB Pressures: 9

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounCh04.htm

Week 1 Snap Count (68):

Chase Young: 78% (53), Daron Payne: 76% (52), Montez Sweat: 71% (48), Jonathan Allen: 53% (36), Matt Ioannidis: 44% (30), Ryan Kerrigan: 32% (22), Tim Settle: 24% (16), Ryan Anderson: 18% (12), James Smith-Williams: 1% (1).

Week 2 Snap Count (77):

Chase Young: 71% (55), Jonathan Allen 65% (50), Montez Sweat 65% (50), Daron Payne 61% (47), Matt Ioannidis 55% (42), Ryan Kerrigan 30% (23), Ryan Anderson 25% (19), Tim Settle 19% (15), James Smith-Williams 9% (7). 

Week 3 Snap Count (63):

Daron Payne 87% (55), Jonathan Allen 79% (50), Montez Sweat 73% (46), Ryan Kerrigan 65% (41), Ryan Anderson 41% (26), Tim Settle 41% (26), Chase Young 21% (13), Matt Ioannidis 14% (9), James Smith-Williams 9% (7).

Awards: 

NFC Defensive Player of the week: Ryan Kerrigan (Week 1). Good job RK!!!🥳

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Still can't believe Chase didn't get credit for another forced fumble on that fourth quarter "tuck rule" play with Wentz... it was clear to anyone (including Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles) that CY was the one who caused Carson to pull the ball back and eventually fumble it.  That should count as a forced fumble, I don't care what the rule says...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Still can't believe Chase didn't get credit for another forced fumble on that fourth quarter "tuck rule" play with Wentz... it was clear to anyone (including Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles) that CY was the one who caused Carson to pull the ball back and eventually fumble it.  That should count as a forced fumble, I don't care what the rule says...

Can’t even forget the play where Young hit Wentz and forced the ball into the air and was intercepted but the play came back because Ioannidis was offsides.  Talk about a monumental impact with multiple huge plays stripping the ball loose.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

That FF went to Payne I believe. I can't think of any other play where Payne was near the ball and it popped out and it shows him with one FF. 

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know.  But if you deep deeper there is more from them.  The grades indicated that our DEs were much better than the Giants DEs in that game.  But the Giants interior was better.

But Ionnaidis got a better grade then both Allen and Paybe by the way.  The Giants secondary with the exception of Bradberry got really low grades.  Our secondary sans Apke got really good grades. 

If the Giants graded so well on the interior, why did they get run over? Were they gashed on outside runs? I didn't watch the game.

I don't however think that they are better than us on the interior. They have nobody like an Ioannidis. Honestly, Ioannidis is a rare type of player. He got just 30 snaps against the Eagles and had 1.5 sacks, 4 QB pressures, and 4QB hits. Chase Young and Montez Sweat each had 2 QB pressures and Jonathan Allen and DaRon Payne each had 1 QB hurry. Ioannidis massively affects the passing game. I think he easily collects 11 or 12 sacks this year. And, his contract is a steal. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 7:48 PM, -JB- said:

Yeah, honestly Payne was the first one to contact Wentz and his arm swung around when the ball popped out so he deserved the FF imo

I think that you are wrong on this one. i watched the play from several angles and what happens is pretty clear after viewing it carefully.

You are correct that Payne hits Wentz first. However that initial contact doesn’t cause the ball to come loose.

After Payne hits him the ball clearly remains secure in Wentz’s right hand as the hand first moves forward and then down.

At this point with the ball still held in his right hand Wentz is hit hard by Chase Young from the other side. Chase actually pushes Wentz’s left hand directly into the ball and that is when the fumble occurs.

My understanding of NFL rules is that a player gets credit for a sack AND a fumble if the ball comes loose from the passer as a direct consequence of the defensive player’s contact. Daron’s hit did not directly cause the fumble Chase’s hit did. 

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Arizona’s center got injured last week and it looks like he will miss this weeks game. Should help our interior, which will also help with containment of Murray.  

Kyler will slide rather than getting blasted, even when behind the line. Does that count as a sack? Who gets credit?

Let's ****ing go boys! Hopefully the DL smells blood in the water. We've got to be aware of the horizontal passing game that Arizona used against SF, if we can continue to get pressure rushing 4 this will be a fun game to watch. 

Yes that should count as a sack since hes behind the LOS. He will need to be touched after he slides to be considered down, whoever touches him gets the sack. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

41 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I think that you are wrong on this one. i watched the play from several angles and what happens is pretty clear after viewing it carefully.

You are correct that Payne hits Wentz first. However that initial contact doesn’t cause the ball to come loose.

After Payne hits him the ball clearly remains secure in Wentz’s right hand as the hand first moves forward and then down.

At this point with the ball still held in his right hand Wentz is hit hard by Chase Young from the other side. Chase actually pushes Wentz’s left hand directly into the ball and that is when the fumble occurs.

My understanding of NFL rules is that a player gets credit for a sack AND a fumble if the ball comes loose from the passer as a direct consequence of the defensive player’s contact. Daron’s hit did not directly cause the fumble Chase’s hit did. 

It just wasn’t cut & dry so I can see why they credited the FF to Payne because he contacted Wentz first.  

*Thread Updated*

Chase Young is either tied, or leads in every category along the DL except for QB hits, which is lead by Matt Ioannidis with 4. Verdict: Chase Young good. 

DL only got 1 sack against Arizona, partially because that line is much better than the Eagles decimated line, but also because Kyler Murray is a toddler on speed. It must be frustrating trying to sack this guy with how quick and shifty he is. Hopefully we do better against Cleveland. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

I was never expecting a lot of sacks in this game. 2 was pretty much my prediction.

Murray is on Wilson's level when it comes to avoiding contact. They are not afraid to slide and will throw the ball away when necessary. They are difficult opponents to rack up sacks on.

Players like Jackson will try to make you miss. Others will try to break tackles. Those are the guys who you can get numbers on. Even if it didn't come from the D-line, I think 3 sacks against Ari is pretty good.

I can see us getting 4 on the browns tho

• Like 1