Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

10 head coaches includes the interim guys.  Look at recent history though.  What suggests that he’ll get rid of Ron with 2 years salary in the books, along with everyone else that comes with him?

There is no “free pass” because of him, in fact - it’s the opposite.  It’s a lot more work because of him.  

He also has no experience or knowledge of how to properly assess the problems and fix them.  He hired Ron to basically be the Flex Tape guy and just have him fix everything, because he has no idea of how to do that himself.  

Dan’s reputation has also only gotten worse and worse over the years.  Even if he could identify talent, why would top notch talent tie themselves to the hip of Snyder?

Either way he does like to move through the coaches, it’s like a little period where everyone’s not looking at him so much

Ron has done a good job of fixing the culture of the organisation imo, but ultimately this is a football team and he has to produce results, he doesn’t and I think whether this year or next he’ll be out of the league

I don’t dispute that, if anyone is coming here it won’t be the elite level coaches GM’s we’d have to get lucky and hit on a longer shot

My argument is not that Ron’s doing a great job on the field or that he should be absolved from any criticism.

Just level setting with the reality of where we actually are and breaking down why there is no savior in the job market.  That there is just no possible way that Dan will spend the $ to fire Ron or that he has any sort of exit strategy to do so.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Terry Robiskie?

He wasn’t an interim head coach was he? Isn’t an interim head coach someone who takes over during the season? 

well, it looks like he was (I saw 8-8 as his record and thought that was one full year). So 2 interim HC, 7 regular HC’s. Still not 10 though 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He wasn’t an interim head coach was he? Isn’t an interim head coach someone who takes over during the season? 

He took over after Norv was fired in 2000. Team still had a chance at the paloffs. I still remember sitting in the endzone for his win vs Jake Plummer n da Cardinals. 🤓

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My argument is not that Ron’s doing a great job on the field or that he should be absolved from any criticism.

Just level setting with the reality of where we actually are and breaking down why there is no savior in the job market.  That there is just no possible way that Dan will spend the $ to fire Ron or that he has any sort of exit strategy to do so.

Would you personally stick or twist?

• Like 1

Just now, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Would you personally stick or twist?

I never would have hired Ron in the first place.  I would have hired a consulting firm to identify the best possible candidates for GM, brought in anyone I could with expertise to assist in the interview process, selected a GM and let them hire the coach.

But at this point, I simply don’t see a possible exit strategy to move on from Ron.  His fingerprints are on everything.  

Besides that, I think it will just be more rinse and repeat as long as Dan remains owner.

So in summary, I honestly don’t care whether Ron stays or goes.  

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 3

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I never would have hired Ron in the first place.  I would have hired a consulting firm to identify the best possible candidates for GM, brought in anyone I could with expertise to assist in the interview process, selected a GM and let them hire the coach.

But at this point, I simply don’t see a possible exit strategy to move on from Ron.  His fingerprints are on everything.  

Besides that, I think it will just be more rinse and repeat as long as Dan remains owner.

So in summary, I honestly don’t care whether Ron stays or goes.  

But that goes back to the question....what highly respected GM was going to take the job?    Plus, I think the organization needed a well respected leader.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

But that goes back to the question....what highly respected GM was going to take the job?    Plus, I think the organization needed a well respected leader.

Fair enough.

I was working under the guise that he was smart enough to put together a professional search, with counsel from respected and experienced people, with an open checkbook and carte blanche to a GM rather than a coach

I actually feel like Ron was the best Dan could do on his own with the help of Gibbs. That would allow him to like I said, make him the Flex Tape man who has to fix everything, because Dan doesn’t know how to.  I knew Ron was about the classiest and most respected guy he was capable of bringing in.  But I also knew the coach centric thing was a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 2

I'm 100% certain that Rivera was the best that Dan could get. You don't offer complete team control to someone who isn't the best available and therefore the one you're most desperate to win over.

Actually, that's what a competent owner would do.

I'm 90% certain that Rivera was the best that Dan could get.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm 100% certain that Rivera was the best that Dan could get. You don't offer complete team control to someone who isn't the best available and therefore the one you're most desperate to win over.

This is true. The alternative was Marvin Lewis

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Fair enough.

I was working under the guise that he was smart enough to put together a professional search, with counsel from respected and experienced people, with an open checkbook and carte blanche to a GM rather than a coach

I actually feel like Ron was the best Dan could do on his own with the help of Gibbs. That would allow him to like I said, make him the Flex Tape man who has to fix everything, because Dan doesn’t know how to.  I knew Ron was about the classiest and most respected guy he was capable of bringing in.  But I also knew the coach centric thing was a disaster waiting to happen.

At least he didn't hire Urban Meyer.  

• Haha 1

He's not going to come here but I think Ben Johnson, the Lions' OC, would be a sneaky good hire as a HC for a lot of teams. I am very impressed by how they are overachieving with the talent they have (yes they have Hock, St Brown and Swift but it still feels like they are generally lacking in talent). The Lions' offense played much better last year once they got rid of Anthony Lynn and elevated Johnson.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/9/20/23362666/detroit-lions-offensive-coordinator-ben-johnson-getting-praise-opponents-media

Edited by method man

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Don’t give him any ideas! Delete this RIGHT NOW, and we’ll act like we never mentioned it! 

Over It Reaction GIF by Laff

Ha.  I think We're safe from Urban.

Would bringing back Kyle Smith and hiring Dan Quinn excite anyone?    I can definitely see Dan Quinn being a candidate because of the Gibbs link and my sense is that Snyder really liked Smith.  Or Maybe Rick Smith, the former Texans GM.  I think Dan was talking to him before.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Here is my worry--Rivera is still very much respected around the league. I have this growing feeling the league-wide sentiment is "If Rivera couldn't save that place, who can?" Get ready for a really underwhelming replacement if/when Rivera finally hangs them up.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Some good conversation in here. I agree that Bienemy is the type of guy that Snyder might actually be able to pull—and maybe for the sake of his possibly only chance at a HC gig, he and Reid talk one of the Chiefs personnel guys into being part of a package deal with him. That’s how a lot of GM/HC pairings are happening nowadays and might be one of the only ways we could pull a respected talent evaluator from a proven organization like the Chiefs.

The reason I agree that he’s uniquely attainable for Snyder is that he has the veneer of a legit candidate due to the buzz Mahomes and Reid have earned him over the years—but underneath it all he’s not actually that desirable a candidate. Exactly the type of dude who would take the risk of working for Snyder, but on the surface seem like a respectable hire. 

He’s been passed over a million times, allegedly a poor interview. A guy who knows football but doesn’t major in connecting with people and doesn’t communicate extremely well with the upper crust, like Zimmer—which is a pretty important part of being a HC. Benjamin Allbright, who’s super connected, has also been saying for years that there are incidents in his past that don’t pass the sniff test for many organizations, on top of everything else—I haven’t looked into this, but it would explain a lot and Allbright wouldn’t say something so inflammatory without being 100% sure. For all I know it’s public record, I don’t care enough to look into it at this point. But talk about the right organization to grant a chance to someone with some spots on his record. 

On the football, X’s and O’s aside, I’m constantly seeing that Chiefs fans are starting to get pissed that he hasn’t been hired away—they actually aren’t thrilled with his playcalling, and think if it wasn’t for the poor optics and Reid being loyal that they’d have been better off with the next guy in the pipeline a couple years ago. So they see his inability to get hired as holding them back in a way, when the natural way of things “should” have cycled in fresh blood by now. 

Now this isn’t all to say that this would be guaranteed to be a “bad” hire—Bienemy could be the type who is a natural leader once he gets the chance, revolutionizes things, and just got a bad rap in interviews in addition to other Tailgate-related reasons why he might not have been considered as hirable so many times. Zimmer interviewed a million times and was too rough around the edges to get a job until he finally got the MIN job, and sucked out loud. But he did eventually get a chance. 

All that to say, if he was able to lure a decent GM candidate to partner with on the strength of his own connections and relationships, it could be an improvement over what we’ve had—but likely it would also be bad, because there are plenty of reasons why he seemingly isn’t actually a very coveted guy despite all the interviews and Chiefs pedigree.

But due to the unique stuff in the air around him, he may be one of the few “respectable and desirable—at least on the surface and in the media” HC candidates, who could maybe pull a good personnel candidate who otherwise wouldn’t work for Snyder, that we could get. I wouldn’t find it surprising. I’d be interested in it, maybe, after lots of research. He’s likely a dud riding the coattails of Reid and Mahomes, based on what I’ve seen from Chiefs fans. But maybe not, and his difficulty landing a gig despite all the attention being paid to diversity in the NFL makes him viable for Snyder. 

Edit: and on the chance that Wentz finishes the season on a hot streak, Bienemy is from the same coaching tree that Wentz has spent most of his career in. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

Some good conversation in here. I agree that Bienemy is the type of guy that Snyder might actually be able to pull—and maybe for the sake of his possibly only chance at a HC gig, he and Reid talk one of the Chiefs personnel guys into being part of a package deal with him. That’s how a lot of GM/HC pairings are happening nowadays and might be one of the only ways we could pull a respected talent evaluator from a proven organization like the Chiefs.

He’s been passed over a million times, allegedly a poor interview.

His past may have kept him from getting a job. It's makes it much harder for him to get one here...

1 minute ago, Busch1724 said:

His past may have kept him from getting a job. It's makes it much harder for him to get one here...

Possibly. And I’m not rooting for it, simply talking about the logistics of who Snyder could pull and why. But it’s also possible that Snyder being such a dirt bag is why he personally wouldn’t worry about black spots on anyone else’s records—even if you or I would assume that a candidate would need to be squeaky clean to be hired here after Rivera.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Ha.  I think We're safe from Urban.

Would bringing back Kyle Smith and hiring Dan Quinn excite anyone?    I can definitely see Dan Quinn being a candidate because of the Gibbs link and my sense is that Snyder really liked Smith.  Or Maybe Rick Smith, the former Texans GM.  I think Dan was talking to him before.

There can only be one Dan in the building.

You don't want Tanya to mess up with Dans...

You guys are dreaming. 

Ron’s successor whether it be in 23 or 24; will be one of two types.

A retread desperate to get back on the nfl. Think Marvin Lewis, Herm Edwards, etc..

Or some no name low level assistant like Jim Zorn.

Gm- 1st qualification for Dan, his new buddy- Vinny/ Bruce.

Martin has a good shot retaining the job.

Or it will be some low level personnel guy getting the gig.

The next era won’t be any good and likely even worse than Rivera.

We are due for a really bad era.