Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Miscellaneous Humor Thread---vids/gifs/pics/jokes---no articles, no "owned" stuff

Jumbo

On 12/10/2023 at 9:32 AM, TradeTheBeal! said:

Can I get a ruling on this @Spaceman Spiff?

IMG_1503.jpeg

I have a serious question about this meme if anybody is willing to offer me some advice, please no sarcasm based on where this question is being asked it's too important. 

My son is a senior at a trade school in culinary arts and wants to go to a culinary school but I see.this meme and all the reactions to it and it makes me wonder if it's a fools degree.

Is an education at a culinary school a waste of money?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I have a serious question about this meme if anybody is willing to offer me some advice, please no sarcasm based on where this question is being asked it's too important. 

My son is a senior at a trade school in culinary arts and wants to go to a culinary school but I see.this meme and all the reactions to it and it makes me wonder if it's a fools degree.

I went, but didn't graduate. I also never used a pellet stove whatever the **** that is, but I've been a chef most of my life.

I went to the Philly culinary school and lost my loans the second half of the one year program, but didn't give a ****. I had already cooked at the James Beard House as a sous, worked for a former sues to Charlie Trotter.

My first chef gave me two pieces of advice, first was get out of the industry, second was find bad ass chefs and move around a lot and learn.

I'm glad I listened to the second one and with I did the first.

Does your kid have a job? Tell him to find the best restaurant he can and get hired to wash dishes and bust his ass and make himself useful to the prep team. If he can't beat the dish room, he'll get killed on the line. It's one of the most stressful jobs there is.

Does your son want to be a bad ass cook or does he want to run hotel kitchens?

Does he want to be a "chef" because it's in his heart and he can't help it or does he want to make money as a career, because he most likely won't do both.

What going to that school did for me, was get me back into center city and into the frey as it were. I learned a ton from awesome chefs. I learned bull**** at school.

Get him books like Blood, Bones and Butter, Joy of Cooking, Harold McGee foFood and Cooking, The Flavor Bible and keep him away from Anthony Bourdain who will glorify a brutal journey. Let him read that later in life as an adult. 

It's better to learn from Marco  Pierre White, than Gordan Ramsey.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I went, but didn't graduate. I also never used a pellet stove whatever the **** that is, but I've been a chef most of my life.

I went to the Philly culinary school and lost my loans the second half of the one year program, but didn't give a ****. I had already cooked at the James Beard House as a sous, worked for a former sues to Charlie Trotter.

My first chef gave me two pieces of advice, first was get out of the industry, second was find bad ass chefs and move around a lot and learn.

I'm glad I listened to the second one and with I did the first.

Does your kid have a job? Tell him to find the best restaurant he can and get hired to wash dishes and bust his ass and make himself useful to the prep team. If he can't beat the dish room, he'll get killed on the line. It's one of the most stressful jobs there is.

Does your son want to be a bad ass cook or does he want to run hotel kitchens?

Does he want to be a "chef" because it's in his heart and he can't help it or does he want to make money as a career, because he most likely won't do both.

He just works at dunkin donuts right now, he has applied to work in the kitchen at a fancy prep school but haven't heard back yet.

I'm sure he'll be willing to start washing dishes and whatnot he just hasn't got that far because he's still in high school and limited in his time and ability to get to work if its far away but that'll be changing soon.

He's just very passionate About cooking, loves to try new things and make different dishes,.not sure what his end goals are but knowing him I'm certain that it's more about the art than the dollar.

He wants to go to the culinary institute of america in New York and I'd love to help him but certainly don't want him or myself to just throw time and money away if it's the equivalent to a liberal arts degree.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

He just works at dunkin donuts right now, he has applied to work in the kitchen at a fancy prep school but haven't heard back yet.

I'm sure he'll be willing to start washing dishes and whatnot he just hasn't got that far because he's still in high school and limited in his time and ability to get to work if its far away but that'll be changing soon.

He's just very passionate About cooking, loves to try new things and make different dishes,.not sure what his end goals are but knowing him I'm certain that it's more about the art than the dollar.

He wants to go to the culinary institute of america in New York and I'd love to help him but certainly don't want him or myself to just throw time and money away if it's the equivalent to a liberal arts degree.

I don't know how rural where you live is, but he needs to get the **** out of Dunkin and find a real restaurant. Even some cafe. Have him just walk into them and ask for a job doing anything. Tell him to be honest about it. Restaurants are nights and weekends and holidays, so it doesn't matter if he's in school. Life's going to suck a lot for him, might as well figure that out now. It's hard work.

Buy him a couple of those books I suggested too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

First off, I'm retired and have been doing catering deliveries for a restaurant in RVA the past 5 years. I bartended earlier in life part-time early in my marriage as a 2nd income. My observations:

The owner where I work took the path of Koolblue13: Started CIA school, dropped out, worked for some badass chefs in RVA (1 who's family owns 3-4 places in RVA), helped open a local restaurant & then he went out on his own. He now owns a very successful restaurant & a popular bakery.

Individual #2 I have known for many years: she was a bartender & then sous chef at restaurant near our house. She left there and went to CIA school in NYC. She worked in NYC for a while and now owns 2 extremely popular/successful restaurants in RVA plus a place in DC (Union Market). She's been on FoodTV multiple times.

Individual #3 is a guy who went to high school with my son. He went the culinary route in HS & then went to CIA school in VaBeach. He worked in a lot of places in RVA after CIA school eventually landing as the head chef at a retirement community. He know oversees all of the restaurants at the retirement community in RVA. 

Koolblue13's comments are spot on. It's a brutal industry. But it can also be incredibly rewarding (monetarily & mentally).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1