Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Feelin particularly frustrated right now, and I hate that word.

Wife's friend has now failed three PCR tests in a row, my wife and daughter both passed.

Now wife's friend is working on a waiver with her country's department of health to get an antigen test instead so she can go home.  She went to try to get one tonight, and my wife stopped me from going, too, because I passed the antigen test but failed PCR, her argument that I'm not leaving the country so can keep getting PCR until I come back clean.

I haven't seen my parents all year, I told my sister to cancel her flight to be here for my daughter's first birthday, I'm getting serious cabin fever.  Now I'm reading you can fail the PCR test, but not be contagious anymore.  This whole testing thing is fn BS of the highest order.

The rapid tests seem useless, the PCR tests too freaking sensitive, I just want this to be over with so I can get on with my life.  I'm not getting an indication Biden is going to come back with updated vaccine mandates, has anyone heard differently?  What I'm reading seems to be a re-emphasis on testing, focused on at home rapid tests.

We getting very close to people in general just wanting to move on and live with this crap, forget the testing, forget the vaccines, it's a mess.  Nature wins, flawless victory.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

China brings back anal swab testing for Covid two weeks before Winter Olympics begin

China has brought back anal swab testing to screen for Covid-19 in a bid to stop the spread of the Omicron variant, just two weeks before the Beijing Winter Olympics begin. 

At least 27 people underwent the controversial anal swab tests at an apartment building in Beijing where a 26-year-old woman had contracted Omicron, the city's first recorded case of the variant, according to Chinese newspaper The Beijing News.

The anal tests involve inserting a sterile cotton swab up to two inches (5cm) into the rectum and rotating it several times. The swab is then removed before being analysed in a lab.

Beijing is in the midst of a strict lockdown and testing regime after the city reported its first local Omicron infection on January 15, and 11 cases have been confirmed in the capital as of Thursday afternoon, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

38538150-9192251-image-m-5_1611744381515

How to give yourself an anal swab

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

Is COVID retreating in the U.S.? Data paints encouraging scenario

New coronavirus cases are falling in parts of the United States hit hardest by the fast-spreading Omicron variant, according to a Reuters analysis of public health data, offering an early indication the virus might once again be in retreat. 

COVID-19 infections have decreased in 19 states

USA-OMICRON.jpg

Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, an analysis of the past week through Thursday compared with the prior week showed. 

In the Northeast, which saw some of the highest case loads during the latest surge, infections are down 40% week-over-week. 

"Certainly it bodes well for us in terms of the trajectory of Omicron," said Wafaa El-Sadr, a professor of epidemiology and medicine at Columbia University in New York City. 

The drop was more modest at the national level with new reported COVID-19 cases down 7% during the same time period, according to the Reuters tally, as Omicron surges in some other parts of the country. 

COVID-19 data often lag a few days behind the actual state of affairs. 

In the Midwest, cases climbed 11% over the past seven days compared with the previous week, and were up 2% in the South, although the increase has slowed considerably in recent weeks. Western states saw a 3% week-over-week drop in new infections, according to the tally. 

Nationally, new cases are averaging a still-high 738,000 a day, down from a peak of 805,000 on Jan. 15. 

Deaths, which usually lag new infections by about three weeks and are occurring primarily among the unvaccinated, are averaging more than 2,000 a day, up 50% from the start of the month. That is highest average number of COVID-19 deaths since the end of September, but lower than the record of 3,300 lives lost a day in January 2021. 

eab30bde4be1b813c4a33d66d2bef219.gif

Alabama tops 45% COVID positivity rate, among highest in nation

Omicron is still surging in Alabama.

The Alabama Department of Public Health reported Alabama’s COVID positivity rate - the percentage of tests that come back positive in a 7-day period - reached an all-time high of 45.3% on Wednesday.

It’s difficult to compare positivity rate from state to state in the U.S. because each states reports COVID numbers differently, and at different times. But data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services indicates Alabama’s positivity rate is among the highest in the nation - if not the highest. As of Monday, the last day for which HHS had data, no state had a higher rate than Oklahoma’s 44.9% - a number Alabama has now passed.

Click on the link for more

30 minutes ago, China said:

Is COVID retreating in the U.S.? Data paints encouraging scenario

New coronavirus cases are falling in parts of the United States hit hardest by the fast-spreading Omicron variant, according to a Reuters analysis of public health data, offering an early indication the virus might once again be in retreat. 

COVID-19 infections have decreased in 19 states

USA-OMICRON.jpg

Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, an analysis of the past week through Thursday compared with the prior week showed. 

In the Northeast, which saw some of the highest case loads during the latest surge, infections are down 40% week-over-week. 

"Certainly it bodes well for us in terms of the trajectory of Omicron," said Wafaa El-Sadr, a professor of epidemiology and medicine at Columbia University in New York City. 

The drop was more modest at the national level with new reported COVID-19 cases down 7% during the same time period, according to the Reuters tally, as Omicron surges in some other parts of the country. 

COVID-19 data often lag a few days behind the actual state of affairs. 

In the Midwest, cases climbed 11% over the past seven days compared with the previous week, and were up 2% in the South, although the increase has slowed considerably in recent weeks. Western states saw a 3% week-over-week drop in new infections, according to the tally. 

Nationally, new cases are averaging a still-high 738,000 a day, down from a peak of 805,000 on Jan. 15. 

Deaths, which usually lag new infections by about three weeks and are occurring primarily among the unvaccinated, are averaging more than 2,000 a day, up 50% from the start of the month. That is highest average number of COVID-19 deaths since the end of September, but lower than the record of 3,300 lives lost a day in January 2021. 

Alabama losing to Georgia again

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Heard we’re gonna have enough supply of Pfizer antiviral by April. 

Now that we hopefully have, at least, through Omicron under control we can shift resources to long Covid. Word is it’s still pretty small percentage of those that recover and the severe ones are really low percentage. 

Selfish assholes are why we can't have nice things:

St. Charles library temporarily closes in-person services after threats over mask policy

The St. Charles Public Library is now closed to in-person visits after backlash over the library's mask policy.

"We are masked; follow the rules, and it's the ones who don't who cause something like this," said library patron Ute.

Officials at the west suburban library said they stopped letting people come inside the newly renovated facility after an incident earlier this week.

The library's director, Edith Craig, said police were called after a group of about 35 to 40 adults and children stormed inside the building and refused to wear masks.

After the incident is when the threats to library staff members over the library's mask policy began.

"Unfortunately, the incident kind of escalated from that day, and that, as I said before, voicemails and emails started, and the library felt that at this time we're going to take a pause," Craig said.

The St. Charles Library follows Illinois' mask mandate, which was reinstated by Gov. JB Pritzker in response to a COVID-19 surge.

It requires anyone over the age of 2 to wear a facial covering in indoor public settings, regardless of COVID vaccination status.

Almost all of our guests at work are masked, we have no issues on that front.  I did have one nitwit who asked why I was wearing one (I have 3 Caps masks, and always wear one with 2 filters).  I said, "This is the only fan gear allowed in the uniform. "  The crickets and blank stare that followed were epic.  

54 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I tried to feel bad here, but nothing happened.

I have no trouble feeling bad.  

Because it's not enough.  

Not enough to make them change.  Not enough to eliminate them from the gene pool.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, China said:

Selfish assholes are why we can't have nice things:

St. Charles library temporarily closes in-person services after threats over mask policy

The St. Charles Public Library is now closed to in-person visits after backlash over the library's mask policy.

"We are masked; follow the rules, and it's the ones who don't who cause something like this," said library patron Ute.

Officials at the west suburban library said they stopped letting people come inside the newly renovated facility after an incident earlier this week.

The library's director, Edith Craig, said police were called after a group of about 35 to 40 adults and children stormed inside the building and refused to wear masks.

After the incident is when the threats to library staff members over the library's mask policy began.

"Unfortunately, the incident kind of escalated from that day, and that, as I said before, voicemails and emails started, and the library felt that at this time we're going to take a pause," Craig said.

The St. Charles Library follows Illinois' mask mandate, which was reinstated by Gov. JB Pritzker in response to a COVID-19 surge.

It requires anyone over the age of 2 to wear a facial covering in indoor public settings, regardless of COVID vaccination status.

Besides Fisting for Dummies, I doubt any of those 35-40 people have ever read a book.