Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

If its Chidzinski, here are some articles written about him, some via team fan blogs, etc.   Air Coryell, so a Gibbs kind of guy but a more pass happy version.   TE coach who loves himself TEs.   If so he's got some work to do here if that's where he's coming.   He was in Indy when they drafted Eric Ebron who is a FA this year. 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/15/7551785/rob-chudzinski-49ers-offensive-coordinator-candidate-scouting-report

In terms of what Chudzinski values: He's a huge proponent of the Air Coryell. It's a system that lives and dies by huge plays down field, with a big emphasis on a pass catching tight end. You wont see short sensible passing or between tackle running, he'll be looking for the knockout punch on every down. It's incredibly fun to watch, and Newton's rookie and sophomore statistics show that. However, I'm not sold that Chudzinski can win games regularly with it until he shows an ability to reconcile these plays with a sensible running game.

...He is a tight end by background and emphasis that position, along with a strong background in a vertical passing game with deep routes that take some time to develop. I'd still consider him an innovator, as his time in Carolina with Cam Newton and the seamless integration of his read-option system suggests. (Remember, back then, few people were using the R/O).

...He's not an incredibly daring play caller and he actually put his players in a position to be successful. That's no more evident than in tight end Jordan Cameron. He turned a project of a mid-round pick into a Pro Bowl-caliber player. If Cameron gets a big contract this offseason, he owes a portion of it to Chudzinski. The run game the Browns had that season was pretty vanilla. Just mostly power blocking and the running back finding a manufactured hole.

The players seemed to like him and were genuinely miffed when he was canned. Like, how can you turn a team around in a season? I don't know. This probably isn't very helpful to you, but it was hard to get a firm grasp on the guy because of the circumstances of his tenure. The team was just flat out bad while he was here and they never gave him a chance to implement something. At the least, I think if there's someone who can fix Vernon Davis, it's Chud.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/11/4/9670130/what-should-colts-fans-expect-to-see-from-new-offensive-coordinator-rob-chudzinski

In 2004, Chudzinski became the tight ends coach for the Cleveland Browns and took over as offensive coordinator during the season.  He served as the tight ends coach for the San Diego Chargers from 2005-2006 before heading back to Cleveland as the team's offensive coordinator for the 2007 and 2008 seasons.  He again was the tight ends coach for the Chargers from 2009-2010, also serving as the assistant head coach.  The Panthers hired him as their offensive coordinator in 2011, and he spent two years with the team before being hired by the Browns as their head coach in 2014.  After a 4-12 season, however, the Browns fired Chudzinski after only one season, after which he reunited with Chuck Pagano in Indianapolis.  With Chudzinski as head coach, both the Derek Anderson-led Browns (2007) and Cam Newton-led Panthers (2011) had tremendous seasons, with both quarterbacks making the Pro Bowl in those respective seasons.  Furthermore, both of tight end Antonio Gates' 1,000-yard receiving seasons have come while playing for Chudzinski (2005 and 2009).

....Rob Chudzinski has a long reputation of feeding the ball to tight ends and "#1" wideouts. In Chudzinski's most recent stint with the Browns, he created Pro Bowlers in Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. Before that, he was our offensive coordinator when Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow Jr. made the Pro Bowl. I would expect a heavy dose of any receiver who can threaten the defense over the top as well as any TE who can be a threat down the seam.

Chudzinski comes from the Norv Turner/Air Coryell school of offense, so expect lots of vertical routes from the wide receivers and the TE. Everything in the offense will be likely to be built around the "9 route," and I'd bet that most passing plays will send at least two wideouts and the TE vertical down the field for 12 yards to begin the play. Chudzinski also has been a "power" running guy, with lots of counter/power in the run game and less zone blocking. He had a great play action game in Cleveland off of split zone, though, where he would slide the linemen toward in the direction of the zone blocking and have both the back and the TE slide the other way.

Chud has also shown a willingness to change his offense to fit the skills of his QB and even to add "college" offense (read: "good" offense) into his system--at least compared to the average NFL guy. In his days with the Carolina Panthers, Chudzinski borrowed concepts like inverted veer option plays and some called QB runs from Auburn's playbook in order to ease Cam Newton's transition to the NFL (and to take advantage of having a 6'5" 265lbs quarterback who can run). Oh yeah, and Steve Smith and Greg Olson had pretty decent success too.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Reading about Chudzinski his biggest calling card according to some is developing Cam.  So if Rivera feels the same way, to piggyback on what some especially Monk are saying, it makes sense for the dude to be in play.   And the Norv connection is also clear as was mentioned when you look at Rob's background-hires.  Though the name hasn't surfaced yet as far as what I've seen.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2606020-rob-chudzinski-retained-as-colts-oc-latest-comments-and-reaction

Chudzinski also served as offensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers in 2011 and 2012 and helped develop quarterback Cam Newton—the favorite to win this year’s MVP honors—though back then Carolina didn’t possess the lights-out offense it rode to a 15-1 record this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

0-3 in those games. Each team we played had a losing record entering the game. 

At least you are being honest making it about Haskins. The kid wants the coach who coddled him. Fair enough. You want to keep that going. I think Ron has different plans. We will see who the hire is.

Of course, it’s the offenses fault that the defense gave up an average of 41 points per game in those 3 games. More genius well thought out points from you... And yeah, if KOC makes the guy we drafted be a franchise QB then of course I want him. I want our QB to have the best chance he has to be that guy. I’m not stuck on KOC but he’s gotta be considered for what he has done so far with Haskins. Unlike you I don’t decide on a scenario and insist it’s factual no matter what. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Largely made up? Ha, No.

It's really not that difficult. Clearly Ron's top choice for offensive coordinator is not available ... right now. Hence the interviews of the youngins in the interim. 

And I'd argue his #1 is probably Norv Turner. 

You've basically created an entire story in your head and then passed it off as fact. Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but you are just speculating. You think Rivera's top choice is not available, but then you go to say you think his top choice is probably Norv Turner...who seems readily available. So which is it? In fact, outside of Jason Garrett, I'm not sure there's any other noteworthy candidate who is sudden going to become available in the near future.

Saying Rivera only hires "contemporaries"  is misleading at best. There's a 16 year age gap between Turner and Chudzinski. How are we defining contemporaries? Most available coaches are at least somewhat close to Rivera in age, particularly since Rivera is neither super young or super old. So is everyone a contemporary of Rivera?

Saying Rivera only hires people he knows is also a bit misleading. Most coaches do draw upon people they know. That's not unusual. But simply hiring someone you know is not the same as never considering someone else for the job. What about Del Rio? Did Ron know Del Rio? As far as I know they did not work together. But you came up with your own exception to this rule to explain Del Rio. They were "contemporaries". 

Let's look at each hiring of an OC that Rivera made. First in 2011 he hires Chudzinski. As you point out, Chudzinski wasn't some grizzled vet. Actually quite young at 42. And only 2 years as an offensive coordinator. But Rivera did know him, maybe not surprising as a rookie head coach. When Chudzinski was hired away as a head coach, Rivera promoted Shula from within. That's often the case when a coordinator becomes a head coach. The search didn't go far. When Shula failed and was fired, Rivera hired one of the most respected names in the game in Norv Turner. But you act like this is definitive proof Rivera will never hire a younger coach. I mean Chudzinski was younger. Rivera also was behind hiring Scott Turner, even if it was for a lower level position. You act like there's some magical age that a candidate must be in order to be considered. What is this, Disney World? You must be this old to ride this ride? And you must be this "contemporary" to ride this ride? You seem to just be making up arbitrary rules to fit your narrative.

If I flip a coin three times and get heads three times, does that mean I will always get heads. That's the danger of drawing wide conclusions based on 3 events.

matsko_john

John Matsko

RUNNING GAME COORDINATOR

College: Kent State

Experience: 28 years

Biography

John Matsko enters his 28th season in the NFL and ninth with Carolina in 2019. He was promoted to running game coordinator in 2016 after five seasons of excellent work with the Panthers' offensive line. Since Matsko's first season with the Panthers in 2011, Carolina ranks third in the NFL in rushing yards (16,892) and second in rushing touchdowns (138).

https://www.panthers.com/team/coaches-roster/john-matsko

Jim Hostler enters his first season as Carolina’s wide receivers coach in 2019. Hostler will enter his 19th season in the NFL after a one-year stint as the offense – pass game coordinator for the Green Bay Packers in 2018.

• Thanks 2

Hostler

https://catcrave.com/2019/01/18/jim-hostler-wideouts-panthers/

in addition to experience, another thing he has going for him is his familiarity with some members of the Panthers. He coached under Norv Turner for the San Francisco 49ers in 2006. He also coached Torrey Smith as a member of the Ravens coaching staff from 2011-2013. Right off the bat, I like that he is familiar with members of the Panthers. He knows how they operate, and in particular with Norv Turner, having familiarity with the way he operates as a coach will be important.

...coached at the NFL level since 2000, had most recently served as the offense and passing game coordinator for the Green Bay Packers. Prior to his time in Green Bay, he had served as an assistant coach on the Kansas City Chiefs, New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, and Indianapolis Colts. His greatest success came in Baltimore, where he won Super Bowl XLVII as the Ravens' wide receivers coach.

https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Jim-Hostler-hired-Panthers-wide-receivers-coach-128009414/

Hostler has connections to several current members of the Panthers: He had coached under now-Panthers offensive coordinator Norv Turner on the 2006 49ers, and coached Panthers wide receiver Torrey Smith on the Ravens from 2011 to 2013.

In a statement released by the Panthers, Hostler expressed the respect that he has for Turner as the two prepare to work together again.

"He keeps up with the times," said Hostler of Turner. "He's innovative, he's got a great reputation. He's a great guy to work for."

Hostler has had great success in his previous positions, particularly as it pertains to the development of wide receivers he has coached. Among the players to have flourished under Hostler include Indianapolis Colts wide receiver T.Y. Hilton (Who had 69 catches for 1,124 yards and five touchdowns in 2015) and then-Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins, who set Bills rookie records for receptions (65) and receiving yards (982).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2011 Carolina Panthers staff

Offensive Coaches

•  

2012 Carolina Panthers staff

Offensive coaches    
  •  

2013 Carolina Panthers staff

Offensive coaches

2014 Carolina Panthers staff

Offensive coaches

•  

2015 Carolina Panthers staff

•  

2016 Carolina Panthers staff

Offensive coaches

•  

2017 Carolina Panthers staff

Offensive coaches

•  

2018 Carolina Panthers staff

Offensive coaches

•  

2019 Carolina Panthers staff

Offensive coaches

•  

There ya go. Should save some people a few clicks from having to go to google and then wiki. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It would be very surprising now if the OC is not a Norv disciple given the other hires. The chances it’s KOC look slim now. 

Or RR is getting these guys in here he wants and they will all get together and figure out if it's a fit for KOC.

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It would be very surprising now if the OC is not a Norv disciple given the other hires. The chances it’s KOC look slim now. 

Yep.  For curiosity sake i just watched a few Scott Turner interviews, he comes off to me just like his dad as to his demeanor.  Maybe slightly more animated but somewhat boring like his dad.   Even his mannerisms are similar.  Norv though was/is a nice guy.   His son probably is so, too. 

Yeah I think was ... someone 😁 (can't remember), who said that Pete Hoener the carolina TEs coach was tight / best buds with Ron and to expect him.

The other dude I was trying to find more info on this morning was John Ramsdell. Found a rando link: https://pro-football-history.com/coach/2297/john-ramsdell-bio

But couldn't find any wiki for him. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  For curiosity sake i just watched a few Scott Turner interviews, he comes off to me just like his dad as to his demeanor.  Maybe slightly more animated but somewhat boring like his dad.   Even his mannerisms are similar.  

I highly recommend All or Nothing with the Panthers on Amazon. Most of the staff was there and it’s very interesting. It’s from 2018. Great show. The other seasons are good too but this one is a great look at Ron and his staff. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Or RR is getting these guys in here he wants and they will all get together and figure out if it's a fit for KOC.

Announcing these prior to an OC announcement makes me believe their top choice is under contract (with another team)... though maybe KOC is the backup plan.  I don’t know.  

It would make sense to surround KOC with veteran coaches that Rivera trusts.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

Yeah, these hires seem to be pointing to KOC being out, which is disappointing, but understandable.  I think that tweet from a few days ago about it being a "two-way interview" between Rivera and KOC was telling.  I doubt KOC wanted to be constrained in what plays he called regarding run vs pass on early downs like he was with Callahan, and Rivera seems to be a run-first guy judging by his track record and his recent press conference.  When I saw that tweet, I had my doubts KOC would stick.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You never know.  he could have talked to KOC about it.  But it seems doubtful to me.  I guess will see soon enough.  

Yeah, it's just weird they are drawing this out and not just cutting him loose given the tweet from a few days ago.  I guess they technically control his employment thru 2020 but there seems some reason for not just letting him go. 

Edited by HigSkin

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Maybe some massaging has to happen for Norv to comeback?

Could be.  He has to be released from Carolina first though.  

@HigSkin I’m assuming he’s still a possibility depending on how other dominos fall.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, these hires seem to be pointing to KOC being out, which is disappointing, but understandable.  I think that tweet from a few days ago about it being a "two-way interview" between Rivera and KOC was telling.  I doubt KOC wanted to be constrained in what plays he called regarding run vs pass on early downs like he was with Callahan, and Rivera seems to be a run-first guy judging by his track record and his recent press conference.  When I saw that tweet, I had my doubts KOC would stick.

Supposedly McDaniels likes O'Connell and they go back together some.  If the Giants end up hiring McDaniels and O'Connell goes there, that would be interesting and a little weird considering he this off season was billed by some as the future HC here. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Supposedly McDaniels likes O'Connell and they go back together some.  If the Giants end up hiring McDaniels and O'Connell goes there, that would be interesting and a little weird considering he this off season was billed by some as the future HC here. 

Yeah, it'd be a bummer, as I think he could do well paired with Jones as his QB.  I understand him and McDaniels have a good relationship, but I'm still not sure why he'd choose McDaniels over Rivera if it were completely up to him.  McDaniels would likely want control over the offensive game-planning and play-calling responsibilities.  Rivera would likely be much more hands off.

• Like 1