Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

39 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'm probably in the minority but that rubs me the wrong way....

I mean yes, Rivera has the power but damn, KOC couldn't pick/have imput on any of the offensive staff?

Why would we want a departing staff member to pick or have input on the new staff?

44 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I don’t like the move.  People are calling us the Washington Panthers.  OConell built some good chemistry with Dwayne.  No matter what happens I think he was the better choice.

...no matter what happens? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

...no matter what happens? 

If Dwayne has a phenomenal year and such, or a terrible one.  I just think OConell would have been better for his development.  We’ve seen in Washington what changing systems frequently can do to even veteran quarterbacks.

4 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

If Dwayne has a phenomenal year and such, or a terrible one.  I just think OConell would have been better for his development.  We’ve seen in Washington what changing systems frequently can do to even veteran quarterbacks.

Right. So you're saying even if Turner succeeds in helping develop Haskins into a worthy franchise QB and we have a good offense...no matter what, with plenty of evidence to the contrary at that point, KOC would have been the better hire?

That makes no sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

I’m fairly happy with our new OC over KOC. You could say continuity is important but that only goes so far with a guy who hasn’t proved anything yet. What has KOC proven. Last year the offense was Grudens and this year you could say the offense was handicapped. I think Haskins development was on him not Kevin. 

Look at McVay, he went to the Rams and worked with a second year young QB Goff, who many thought was a bust after his first year and turned him into an pro bowler. Who’s to say Turner can’t do the same. I like his pedigree better than KOC. You can’t argue that Norv was one of the best offensive coordinators during his time. 

What has Scott Turner proven? I have no problem moving on from KOC but using the reason that he did not have enough experience can't be the reason since Scott has less. So why is Scott a better candidate? 

Not directed at you - more a continuation - 

I have no problem with Scott if that's who Ron R wants. But let's not pretend it's because he had a better resume than KOC. He has a longer resume but no more OC experience - in fact over a 15 yr period, his first chance at OC at any level was the last 4 gms of this season. And he did a pretty crappy job of it then - in fairness it was under less than ideal circumstances but the same could easily be said for KOC. Also, Turner, dad or not, has never lasted more than 3 yrs at one place and that was just one time - the Vikings who kicked him to the curb despite coaching up several QBs including Keenum with Bridgwater out, but as QBs coach not OC.  

I really wanted a grizzled veteran. But in Ron we trust for now. I will root my ass of for Scott to be awesome! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I really wanted a grizzled veteran.

I think the experience grizzled vet would have been Norv Turner had Ron been hired by anyone else other than Dan Snyder.

So, you get the son of Norval. 

Keep the same playbook and add much of the same staff so everyone knows their role from Day 1.

But, as you can see for yourself, Ron is starting to surround Scott with seasoned elder positional coaches. Example, Ken Zampese, at 52 with a wealth of experience, so as to limit the amount of stuff on Scott's plate. Could Zampese be given the title of "passing game coordinator" on top of QB coach? I think that's a possibility.

Essentially that puts Zampese at the gameplan design and playbook refinement level alongside Scott providing additional "OC" help. 

Also too, I would not be surprised to see an "senior offensive assistant" added to the coaching staff. Just to throw out a name, John Ramsdell.

Going back to Carolina he was added in 2014 and served through the superbowl season. He too would be another qualified offensive mind to add passing game acumen and shoulder responsibility to help young Turner get his sea legs, so to speak. 

Ramsdell retired from Carolina after the 2015 season and at age 65 may not want to come back. So that's not a forgone conclusion that it would be him, specifically. But adding a senior offensive coach to the staff certainly seems sensible for a 37 year old first time OC. 

That kind of alleviates the lack of experience. 

• Like 1

Since when does an OC get to pick “his” staff? Like what position coaches or assistant coaches are we talking about here? I just think it’s a bit presumptuous on KOC’s part about picking his people.

RR is the head coach and it’s HIS staff not the OC’s... he musta been like huh?

Let’s be real, if you aren’t playing games and there is no question you wanna be here long term you’d kill that story about potentially being McDaniels OC If he gets a job. This was his “ leverage card” and they made sure it got out to everyone. AND there wouldn’t be any issue about “picking your guys” for the offensive staff. 

This process makes me wonder about KOC a little bit, and not in a great way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Right. So you're saying even if Turner succeeds in helping develop Haskins into a worthy franchise QB and we have a good offense...no matter what, with plenty of evidence to the contrary at that point, KOC would have been the better hire?

That makes no sense. 

It does.  I said if it’s phenomenal or terrible.  

I think having a strong grasp of one system before moving onto another would be better for his development.

4 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

It does.  I said if it’s phenomenal or terrible.  

I think having a strong grasp of one system before moving onto another would be better for his development.

He’s not Ron’s draft choice. Ron isn’t building a staff or team around Haskins. He’s building his own staff. Ron is going to give Haskins a plan and one chance to buy in. It’s up to Haskins if he wants it or not.  Gibbs with Patrick Ramsey is probably the best comparison. Don’t get too attached to Haskins...

5 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

That's entirely up to Haskins. No one can do it for him. 

My hope is that Turner really tailors the system around Haskins.  He’s a first time OC, he can create the language he wants and Haskins can grasp. 

I am guessing Scott comes in with a lot of Norv's terminology, however he probably has his slant on it also.  

But this is a golden opportunity for Scott to create an offense specifically for Haskins, and for Haskins to spend the entire off season digesting it so he knows it like the back of his hand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Haskins to spend the entire off season digesting it so he knows it like the back of his hand.

Well, Haskins doesn't strike me as the type of dude to willing go into exile out in Siberia and train his ass off in order to hop into the ring against Drago. 

But, that's what the youngin should do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know more about Zampese’s dad than Ken, but Keim was really highon him recently. I’ve heard really good things about Matsko also. 

1 minute ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Well, Haskins doesn't strike me as the type of dude to willing go into exile out in Siberia and train his ass off in order to hop into the ring against Drago. 

But, that's what the youngin should do.

That’s a reference to something, but I missed it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He’s not Ron’s draft choice. Ron isn’t building a staff or team around Haskins. He’s building his own staff. Ron is going to give Haskins a plan and one chance to buy in. It’s up to Haskins if he wants it or not.  Gibbs with Patrick Ramsey is probably the best comparison. Don’t get too attached to Haskins...

So you think Ron will be here longer than Haskins?

21 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

That's entirely up to Haskins. No one can do it for him. 

These changes don’t help.  And I wasn’t even beating the Haskins drum from the beginning.  But I like his progress.