Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next GM?

skins2victory

If he was gonna stay, this sort of role is exactly what Doug is actually qualified to do. Mentor players, no say in personnel or anything else. Be a good guy, advocate, and a facilitator of the new culture within the organization, period. 

It's the only type of role I'd really be fine seeing Doug retain here.

Now we just need to hope Ron Rivera brings in a strong evaluator to have in his ear. Despite Rivera having total control, having the right voice collaborating with him is of the utmost importance.

I'm rooting for Dan Morgan. 

Still can't see Rivera waiting 4 months to get his GM. 

As for Doug, well he's taken an uppercut and his happy to stick around in a deminshed capacity. Quite a thing to do, however it does seem better suited to him and ultimately he seems a decent guy. How much grace that gets him I don't know, bit Rivera must see some value in keeping him in house.....for now...

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Still can't see Rivera waiting 4 months to get his GM. 

As for Doug, well he's taken an uppercut and his happy to stick around in a deminshed capacity. Quite a thing to do, however it does seem better suited to him and ultimately he seems a decent guy. How much grace that gets him I don't know, bit Rivera must see some value in keeping him in house.....for now...

Williams was a figurehead and he probably knew that.  This move is something he is qualified for and not a figurehead role.  hes probably happy to be doing something instead of playing candy crush

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Now that's interesting. Doug reporting to Ron Rivera, that virtually makes Ron Rivera the Team President as the Vice President is reporting to him. Rivera is really having full power for now.

2 minutes ago, boston skins fan said:

Williams was a figurehead and he probably knew that.  This move is something he is qualified for and not a figurehead role.  hes probably happy to be doing something instead of playing candy crush

He won't play ping-pong and shuffleboard with them either...

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This tweet is a bit disingenuous.  One team was competing for a Superbowl, while one team was fighting to get to .500.  Of course you're going to spend more and worsen your cap situation when you're in your SB window.

I get the point.  But they aren't exactly competing for the SB every year even though I gather that's their intention.  in 3 of the last 4 years they've won 5, 6, 7 games.   

I get the argument though from the angle of better players = high salaries. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the point.  But they aren't exactly competing for the SB every year even though I gather that's their intention.  in 3 of the last 4 years they've won 5, 6, 7 games.   

I get the argument though from the angle of better players = high salaries. 

Yeah, a lot of the lack of wins were due to Newton’s injuries though. You still build to compete, but you’re pretty much at the mercy of your former MVP QB’s health.  Rivera was 5-5 with an UDFA at QB this year before leaks started surfacing that he would be fired after the season. 

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, a lot of the lack of wins were due to Newton’s injuries though. You still build to compete, but you’re pretty much at the mercy of your former MVP QB’s health.  Rivera was 5-5 with an UDFA at QB this year before leaks started surfacing that he would be fired after the season. 

I like the hire.  Going through their seasons, it was somewhat good season, bad season, good season, bad season even with Cam.    

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like the hire.  Going through their seasons, it was somewhat good season, bad season, good season, bad season even with Cam.    

Yeah, true. It was kind of a running joke among Panthers fans.  Odd year = good.  Even year = bad.  But the last two seasons, Cam was either playing through a significant injury or not playing at all.

I’m happy to see Doug won’t be responsible for any personnel moves as that was just not in his wheelhouse. While I’m optimistic about Rivera I’m concerned we won’t have a GM till after the draft. That means Ron has final say on everything and he never had that power in Carolina so who’s to say he will be good at it. 

While the GM will handle the cap, we need guys who are good at finding those late round diamonds. While I’m not a Cowboys admirer in any way, they have been able to get some diamonds in the rough so that guy in Dallas could be a good complement to what Ron wants. 

4 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

One of the GM candidates mentioned for Skins:

I was just about to post about Schoen.

The three people I've seen linked the most are Schoen, Morgan, and Hurney.

Hurney gets linked the most but he was praised a lot in the Rhule press conference so it might be odd for him to be let go. Rhule certainly didn't act like he can't wait for Hurney to leave. 

I've mentioned Dodd a bunch of times.  Not that I know anything about him but he's often mentioned as the best scout in the league. 

3 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

I doubt we will get Dodds, Morgan, Schoen, or any of the other highly sought after GM candidates because our GM is probably going to have to report to Rivera.

Maybe not but Kyle Smith has a shot at it.  :)  He's had some great drafts, however the coaching of this talent has been horrific.  Rivera and Kyle know each other from his days in S.D.  

1 hour ago, sportsnut said:

I doubt we will get Dodds, Morgan, Schoen, or any of the other highly sought after GM candidates because our GM is probably going to have to report to Rivera.

There are only 32 GM slots and only 1 or 2 open up each offseason. They’re going to get someone.

Archived