Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Cowboys

KDawg

3 minutes ago, illone said:

Dont get too excited. Cowgirls dropped a few easy INTs yesterday...

Yeah, but that is true for every QB. Case is in the top 10 in every statistical category through the first 2 weeks.

I have been pleasantly surprised at his performance these last 2 weeks.

He ain't the reason we are loosing right now. ALthough I can see us opening up the long pass playbook to loosen up the d for the run game, and with the pressure of 2-0 start I can see a couple of int's next week. or a 500+ 4 TD game.

With this team you never can tell.

I think many of us expected a 5-6 win team, what has me worried is that the defense looks terrible and that was supposed to be our rock. That could change the entire dynamic of my perception of this team going forward.

If our defense turns out to be poor and we need a complete overhaul to our secondary that's a setback because we are already looking at a complete overhaul on our O line.

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

I think many of us expected a 5-6 win team, what has me worried is that the defense looks terrible and that was supposed to be our rock. That could change the entire dynamic of my perception of this team going forward.

If our defense turns out to be poor and we need a complete overhaul to our secondary thats a setback because we are already looking at a complete overhaul on our O line.

Overhaul 2ndary yes. but Collins, and Montae are keepers, and Moreland looks like a rookie learning the ropes.

Norman should be gone, and Dunbar is too hurt.

The O line is a mystery. Sherrf and Moses look awful.  Flowers and Penn have been solid.

Figure out Sherrf's issue (contract extension? does he just want out?) but prep to draft a high value T and if Sheffif cannot be resigned/rehabilitated a RG as well.

Too early in the season to determine the exact need on the line, but got to figure we are going to need Penns replacement (age) and Sherrif's if he is not resigned/cannot figure it out.

16 minutes ago, Tuck28 said:

Hello all, long time reader of this forum.  Long time Redskins fan and will always be no matter how mad they make me.  With that said, my Duds are the coaching staff.  How can Jay Gruden not adjust his scheme to fit Adrian Peterson?  This man is still a well above average running back.  All other offensive lines get push running power type runs, but we try to finesse all of our runs.  

Defensively, Manusky should be gone yesterday.  Totally inept.

Gruden doesn’t like Peterson’s running style, but loves the elusive Perine. 

4 minutes ago, jbird said:

Yeah, but that is true for every QB. Case is in the top 10 in every statistical category through the first 2 weeks.

I have been pleasantly surprised at his performance these last 2 weeks.

He ain't the reason we are loosing right now. ALthough I can see us opening up the long pass playbook to loosen up the d for the run game, and with the pressure of 2-0 start I can see a couple of int's next week. or a 500+ 4 TD game.

With this team you never can tell.

He isn't putting the team on his back and willing it to a win, either.  I'm moderately happy with his stats, but he is missing stuff all over the field.  A good QB masks some of the other issues (bad oline, even bad play calling).

24 minutes ago, jbird said:

No love for Keenum?

Raise your hand if you anticipated a 70% completion rate for 604 yards, 5 td, and 0 INT's over the first 2 weeks.

He is kinda stat padding in garbage time though to the tune of an extra 75 yards and a TD each game against soft coverage.  But he's playing about as good as he can play.  Good enough to win with any help whatsoever which he's not getting from the run game or defense.  I have no quarrel with him really.  He just has to not miss opportunities.  

Just now, illone said:

He isn't putting the team on his back and willing it to a win, either.  I'm moderately happy with his stats, but he is missing stuff all over the field.  A good QB masks some of the other issues (bad oline, even bad play calling).

I will grant you that. I cannot wait to see if Haskins can make those deep connections. (If so, the O could be REAL fun real soon)

But in the meantime, Case aint loosing us games. If we had a D that could stop a baby stoller, and a running game slightly more effective than eating swiss cheese for constipation, we coulda been contending....

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If our defense turns out to be poor and we need a complete overhaul to our secondary that's a setback because we are already looking at a complete overhaul on our O line.

I don’t see why people thought our defense would be particularly good. We aren’t explosive anywhere. 

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Everyone seemed to want to anoint our defense before the season started.  There's some to like on the D-line but I never understood why anyone thought our secondary would be anything other than Swiss cheese.  Teams are going to be able to throw it all year on us.

A couple of ESers got very upset with me for pointing out the areas we aren’t particularly good. 

29 minutes ago, illone said:

Dont get too excited. Cowgirls dropped a few easy INTs yesterday...

I keep seeing the arguement that because they weren't caught it doesnt count.  This is a mistake, it's only a matter of time if he keeps doing that that he has a multi-pick game and the whole "at least he isnt turning the ball over" arguement dies.  I'm more happy we haven't had any fumbles yet, that's impressive because it involves multiple players, not just one.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I keep seeing the arguement that because they weren't caught it doesnt count.  This is a mistake, it's only a matter of time if he keeps doing that that he has a multi-pick game and the whole "at least he isnt turning the ball over" arguement dies.  I'm more happy we haven't had any fumbles yet, that's impressive because it involves multiple players, not just one.

Keenum is on borrowed time.  He'll have a 4-5 pick game and peeps will go edit their posts:ols:

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I don’t see why people thought our defense would be particularly good. We aren’t explosive anywhere. 

A couple of ESers got very upset with me for pointing out the areas we aren’t particularly good. 

It doesnt matter what your personal is if they are told to wait for the play to come to them every down, you almost guarantee forward progress at minimum every play.  They dont blitz they rarely stunt, you take their best dlinemen out and expect to get pressure from jus the line, I'm not shocked by the results, I'm pissed we keep doing that and expecting different results.

I wouldn't get too excited over Keenum's numbers. Two of those five TDs are end of game garbage time scores when the result was on longer in doubt. But even with that said, the offense, or at the very least the passing game, isn't the issue.

The DEFENSE is at fault right now. We simply aren't utilizing the talent we have properly. We have the horses to be a lot more aggressive. Norman and Dunbar are better off playing press coverage or off man, not man to man or pure zone. Collins should be crushing people in the box. I'm not saying we have the 85 Bears D but we shouldn't be giving up near 30 PPG. The offense has played well enough for us to be 1-1 if not 2-0.

We all know Manusky should've been fired, but hearing that comment from Gruden regarding having played the two top offenses speaks volumes to the mindset given to the players. You instill confidence that you can beat anyone, not say hey we can't wait to see how we stack up against lesser competition...this comment coupled with the laid back glasses on relaxed snapshot of Snyder just speaks to so much more or the vibe of our team. I agree that it is still early in the season but this feels totally different from any 0-2 start I've ever witnessed as a lifelong Redskins fan

19 minutes ago, illone said:

Front 7 on paper is pretty damn good talent wise.

We aren’t explosive anywhere in the back 7, the front 4 is good, talent wise, not the front 7.

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I keep seeing the arguement that because they weren't caught it doesnt count.  

Absolutely, turnover worthy plays are graded the same whether the opponent makes the play or not.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

We aren’t explosive anywhere in the back 7, the front 4 is good, talent wise, not the front 7.

Suprised you feel that way about Sweat and Kerrigan, id argue this would look different if we took advantage of their strengths, which we dont.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Absolutely, turnover worthy plays are graded the same whether the opponent makes the play or not.

Agreed, we fans can have the state agruement all we want, i promise you Case isnt getting a pass in film review.  Running backs get ripped to shreds even when they recover their own fumble.

15 minutes ago, DmvE said:

We all know Manusky should've been fired, but hearing that comment from Gruden regarding having played the two top offenses speaks volumes to the mindset given to the players. You instill confidence that you can beat anyone, not say hey we can't wait to see how we stack up against lesser competition...this comment coupled with the laid back glasses on relaxed snapshot of Snyder just speaks to so much more or the vibe of our team. I agree that it is still early in the season but this feels totally different from any 0-2 start I've ever witnessed as a lifelong Redskins fan

Im jus going to say it, benching AP ruined our season.  Its nit about we lost, they killed whatever good vibe this team had coming inti the season after struggling all preseason.   To piggyback on your comment, this is the quickest ive seen a coach lose his team in a season since i startee following them, players look checked out already and its still September : /

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I wouldn't get too excited over Keenum's numbers. Two of those five TDs are end of game garbage time scores when the result was on longer in doubt. But even with that said, the offense, or at the very least the passing game, isn't the issue.

I know this wasn't really even your point, but even 3 TDs over 2 games is a pretty nice pace. That works out to 24 TDs over 16 games which is right in the Cousins territory of 2015/2016 (which was clearly some of the best QB numbers we've had in a long time). 

40 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Payne, Allen, Matt L and then adding Sweat along with a Kerrigan was a solid reason to believe we could rush the passer with consistency.

The problem is Sweat looks terrible and Allen is hurt, I was hoping Sweat was that explosive piece you mentioned but theres no explosive in him, at least not yet.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Suprised you feel that way about Sweat and Kerrigan, id argue this would look different if we took advantage of their strengths, which we dont.

Agreed, we fans can have the state agruement all we want, i promise you Case isnt getting a pass in film review.  Running backs get ripped to shreds even when they recover their own fumble.

I consider Sweat & Kerrigan front 4, where they play in the game, that’s where they get graded. Nickel is the base defense, 3-4/4-3 ... it’s all really a front 4, Sweat & Kerrigan are DE’s. 

To better navigate semantics, because I understand the rationale in considering Sweat & RK back 7 guys, I simply mean to illustrate that we don’t have anything off the line that condenses the field or is capable of making plays across the los. The nfl has turned into a game about creating space & we don’t cover/condense it as well as most. Part of that is a lack of creativity, but much of it is the lack of talent we put on the field at cb1, cb2, ilb, fs, & ss year in and year out. Collins can change some things, but even he isn’t particularly good in space, we are vulnerable everywhere behind our line & it makes life much more difficult on the front 4. 

Foster was a bit bit of a game changer for me, he has the ability to provide something we haven’t had in over a decade. 

Moreland, Fabian, Monte, & Dunbar are talented enough to become solid, Dunbar perhaps something better than solid, but the back 7 is as pedestrian as any you’ll find across the league. 

22 minutes ago, volsmet said:

To me that shows more of the deficiencies in the game plan, and what the coaches are asking these guys to do.  Sweat looks dazed and confused on most plays, perhaps just rookie jitters, but the coaching is exposed more than the talent IMO.

Archived