Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

13 hours ago, purbeast said:

We are going nowhere in the playoffs.  We will be bounced out round 1 100%.

No, not 100%. A #1 or #2 gets bounced in the first round every year, oftentimes more than one. Anyone who has been watching the Caps over the past month (not just flipping channels) can see they are capable of beating anyone. Obviously whoever they play will be favored to win, and if Ovi is out and/or neither of our goalies goes on a run, it'll be a short ride. But saying it's guaranteed they'll lose in the first round after one stinker of a game in which they were missing their best player is nonsense. Statements like that are why I really need to avoid message boards the day after a loss.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

No, not 100%. A #1 or #2 gets bounced in the first round every year, oftentimes more than one. Anyone who has been watching the Caps over the past month (not just flipping channels) can see they are capable of beating anyone. Obviously whoever they play will be favored to win, and if Ovi is out and/or neither of our goalies goes on a run, it'll be a short ride. But saying it's guaranteed they'll lose in the first round after one stinker of a game in which they were missing their best player is nonsense. Statements like that are why I really need to avoid message boards the day after a loss.

I have watched like the last 20+ games.  The goal tending is just too inconsistent to do anything in the playoffs.

Why would you even think either of the goalies would go on a run?  They have shown nothing like that this entire season.  It's always inconsistency with either of them.  And I don't know why the hell Vanecek keeps losing his damn goalie stick like every time he is in net, like once or twice a game.  I don't think I've seen a goalie on the other team EVER lose their stick let alone multiple times in a game.

They also suck at home for some reason, and almost half their games will be at home, so that track record also isn't looking very good.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm just setting my expectations.

The team made a huge mistake in the regular season by not giving Zach Fucale an extended look to see what he could do.  Because why see what the guy who just set the NHL record for most shutout minutes to start a career can do when you've got two inconsistent goalies that aren't playoff-championship caliber?

I think they could beat the Rangers.  Low scoring, grind it out games favor an upset.  They have ZERO chance against Florida.  If they get New York and churn their way out of the first round, maybe they could get on a roll and keep it going. But man, playing Florida with our defense and especially goaltending is a death sentence.  They might not get a single game.

Gotta win these last 2.

We're gonna shove that Presidents Trophy right up Florida's ass.

All kidding aside, this is gonna be a tough series and I wouldn't bet $10 on us pulling it off. But it's possible - anyone who saw the underdog Caps knock off the defending champion Bruins in 2012 (or the Habs pull off the upset of the century against us in 2010) knows that.

Can't believe we haven't played the Cats since November. We were arguably the best team in hockey at that point, then we had a meltdown in the third period and we were basically in a tailspin until March when we found our game again. 

• Like 1