Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Just got home from the game, tough one but it's the first of 82, over the course of 6 months. Not going to read too much into it; we've seen plenty of season openers where the Caps dominate, and then they're sent packing early the following spring.

I thought they looked really good in the 1st.

17 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This is all about getting a top 5-8 pick and making a couple more trades during the season to collect assets and clear the books some more. 

Not willing to concede that just yet, but yeah you're probably right.

Looking at the big picture, the best course for this team is sucking for the next 2 years, hitting on the high draft picks they'll get, and getting free from the awful contracts of the likes of Backstrom, Kuzy, and Mantha.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And here I've been struggling with supporting the NHL after the pride stuff.  Guess I'm in the minority. 

I'm most definitely very disappointed in the league for taking that approach, but I'm still a Caps fan.  If I can watch a game, I'm gonna watch it. 

(No snark intended, just how I feel.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And here I've been struggling with supporting the NHL after the pride stuff.  Guess I'm in the minority. 

While I don't agree with the specific approach the league took (see above for how I'd handle it), I understand they're in a difficult position.  By pushing the political messaging onto all of the players in the league, it opens up the likelihood that some players won't want to be used to sponsor said message, and by not participating, it shines a spotlight on non-participation and turns what is supposed to be a message of support into a message of rebuke.  After **** hit the fan when Provorov decided not to participate in Pride night, the league reacted by ending not just pride night, but all of those political message nights realizing what a powder keg they are, especially in an international multi-cultural league.

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Oh I'm sure I'll watch still.  I've just accepted I'm pretty morally bankrupt.  I figured there would be more talk about it.  That's all I was trying to say.  Not judging.

Bettman is the worst commissioner in sports. The Hurricanes have an awesome pride night and I am hoping they do it again just to give a big **** you to the Bettman. Their policy is cowardly and wrong. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Not willing to concede that just yet, but yeah you're probably right.

Looking at the big picture, the best course for this team is sucking for the next 2 years, hitting on the high draft picks they'll get, and getting free from the awful contracts of the likes of Backstrom, Kuzy, and Mantha.

Unfortunately I don't think the team is willing to commit to a rebuild as long as #8 is on the roster

If we could have started the rebuild 3 years ago when it was apparent that 2018 was the last gasp for that core, there would be a shot for another Cup run before Ovechkin retires, sadly this becoming all but impossible unless he can play until he's 43.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Unfortunately I don't think the team is willing to commit to a rebuild as long as #8 is on the roster

If we could have started the rebuild 3 years ago when it was apparent that 2018 was the last gasp for that core, there would be a shot for another Cup run before Ovechkin retires, sadly this becoming all but impossible unless he can play until he's 43.

This is GMBM's greatest failure, a lack of vision. There was a great opportunity to do this and sell this to the great 8 as a way to really contend again. It's really amazing he traded Siegenthaler at the exact time the Caps should've been getting younger. The impact of that trade is still felt today with the less than stellar defense. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

This is GMBM's greatest failure, a lack of vision. There was a great opportunity to do this and sell this to the great 8 as a way to really contend again. It's really amazing he traded Siegenthaler at the exact time the Caps should've been getting younger. The impact of that trade is still felt today with the less than stellar defense. 

Just imagine, if Lundqvist's heart didn't explode, we would have had him backstopping us in goal for the playoffs instead of beavis and butthead, and we wouldn't have had the cap space to sign Chara so Siegenthaler wouldn't have been forced out of the lineup (or stapled to the bench until 30 seconds left in the game; Jesus, what a ****-show)

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Just imagine, if Lundqvist's heart didn't explode, we would have had him backstopping us in goal for the playoffs instead of beavis and butthead, and we wouldn't have had the cap space to sign Chara so Siegenthaler wouldn't have been forced out of the lineup (or stapled to the bench until 30 seconds left in the game; Jesus, what a ****-show)

Or imagine if we had simply kept Forsberg and not traded him for Martin ****ing Erat  ... what a dumbass McPhee was

I wasn't paying attention to all the draft picks/players we traded over the years in order to try to win a Cup .. did any of them actually contribute significantly to the 2018 team?

Edit:  Oshie and Eller were acquired via trades ... honestly I was a bit tuned out at that time

Edited by DCSaints_fan

11 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Or imagine if we had simply kept Forsberg and not traded him for Martin ****ing Erat  ... what a dumbass McPhee was

From McPhee's vantage point, it wasn't that much of a dumbass move.  His job was on the line already and playoff failure would be the end of his tenure, so any long-term costs to the team were not his to suffer.  Except that we could have simply recalled Forsberg to the NHL to play, because it's not like Erat was even better than him at that time.  It was made all the worse, however, when Erat broke his arm after a handful of games.

• Like 1