Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

2 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Backstrom had his surgery, no timetable for return. Will be interesting to see what happens. I love the guy, but $9 mil for a forward who scores 6 goals doesn't work in today's NHL.

Yeah. Wishing him the best. Hate to hope he still retires. But I do. 

2 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Backstrom had his surgery, no timetable for return. Will be interesting to see what happens. I love the guy, but $9 mil for a forward who scores 6 goals doesn't work in today's NHL.

32 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Yeah. Wishing him the best. Hate to hope he still retires. But I do. 

Assuming Backstrom is out for the regular season, the Caps can do exactly what the Lightning did. This will give the Caps some significant cap flexibility for next season using the LTIR. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Pat McAfee show is saying Caps are interested in Malkin...lolol that'd be weird

They already have $9 mil annually committed to an old guy who is broken down and whose best years are behind him (Backstrom),  They don't need another.

Malkin can still produce when he's healthy, but that hasn't happened consistently for a few years.  If he's willing to take a major pay cut to play with Ovi and Kuzy, I could see management kicking the tires.  But if they pay market price for him, they're f-ing nuts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

They already have $9 mil annually committed to an old guy who is broken down and whose best years are behind him (Backstrom),  They don't need another.

Malkin can still produce when he's healthy, but that hasn't happened consistently for a few years.  If he's willing to take a major pay cut to play with Ovi and Kuzy, I could see management kicking the tires.  But if they pay market price for him, they're f-ing nuts. 

Backstrom just underwent surgery that will put him out for a long time, so that $9 mil is suddenly available Kucherov-style.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Backstrom just underwent surgery that will put him out for a long time, so that $9 mil is suddenly available Kucherov-style.

Right, and that's a season-changing amount of cap room at our disposal if it happens. Spending a chunk of that on Malkin would be foolish.

• Thanks 1

Just now, capcrunch98 said:

Right, and that's a season-changing amount of cap room at our disposal if it happens. Spending a chunk of that on Malkin would be foolish.

I wasn't advocating for Malkin, just pointing out that the $9 mil of cap space isn't actually dedicated to a breaking down old man, but rather will be off the books on LTIR Until he recovers in time for playoffs.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Malkin is probably the player I dislike the most in NHL history.    🖕😎🖕

I don't like him either, but come on man - his level of douchiness doesn't hold a candle to Caps foes from back in the day like Tocchet, Mario, Hextall, Lindros, and Dennis Potvin. Or how about Jagr - a dude who managed to brutally F us over and over when he was in an opposing jersey AND when he was wearing a Caps sweater. Jaro Halak also makes my list - he seems like a decent guy but I'll never forgive him for singlehandedly pulling the rug out from under the most electric Caps team ever.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I was watching on mute. Was a TB player losing his mind near the bench with about 20 seconds left cause of the icing wave off? The previous icing should've been waved off too. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1