Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ioannidis position

JustAGuyMatt

Hi guys, I'm trying to understand Matt Ioannidis' role a little better for fantasy football purposes and wondered if you could help me out.

I've gone back to watch where he lines up but still a bit unsure what happens in 2020.  Ioannidis and Allen seem to line up as the DE's outside of Payne in a base 3-4 a fair bit of the time.  Then in nickle formations it seems one of those D linemen gets substituted for an extra DB.  Would I be right in saying that even despite his new contract, Ioannidis is more likely to be that substituted lineman?

I've seen some player analysis sites have him listed as an interior defensive lineman.  Think any DE who isn't considered a true edge player in a 4-man front is given that designation.  The idea he was considered a DT when he entered the league may confuse too.

Really having a hard time pinning his position down.  Guess this is the trouble with versatile players :)

Appreciate any input from you guys

I think the linemen will be platooned quite a bit. Matt has been a starter, but he also has gotten a bit banged up. If I had to guess I would think that Allen and Payne would technically be the starters, but that Ionadis would see a ton of rotational time. He's a really good player with tremendous push. I'm not sure if I can see a line of Ionadis-Payne-Allen, but man that could be rough on o lines especially if Kerrigan doesn't drop off too much and Sweat becomes who we hope he can. 

He plays mostly as Left-DE at 3-4, or Left DT in 4-2.  You see him plenty in (3-4) run stopping downs along with Payne and J. Allen albeit he's arguably their best DT interior rusher and not as good of a run stopper. He seemed subbed more in 4-2.   I didn't count but he did seem to be subbed more than Allen and Payne.   Sometimes they even move Payne to his spot when they go 4-2 when they don't play with a nose and the tackles are playing 2 or 3.

Purely for fantasy football purposes, I think Ionnaidis will continue to be a sack guy.  They can't double up everyone on the D line.  And Payne can swallow 2 guys so that should free him up and Allen to get some sacks.  

On 7/10/2019 at 7:45 AM, Burgold said:

I think the linemen will be platooned quite a bit. Matt has been a starter, but he also has gotten a bit banged up. If I had to guess I would think that Allen and Payne would technically be the starters, but that Ionadis would see a ton of rotational time. He's a really good player with tremendous push. I'm not sure if I can see a line of Ionadis-Payne-Allen, but man that could be rough on o lines especially if Kerrigan doesn't drop off too much and Sweat becomes who we hope he can. 

This.  Matt has been banged up, and that’s part of the reason he rotates.  I’d like to see him start, but he’s nearly just as effective as a rotation tackle or end.  It is kind of hard to pin down his position.  I almost always think of him as a defensive tackle.  But we’ll see how they use him this year, especially if he stays healthy.  He’s my favorite player on defense, along with Sweat, hopefully.

Hope that helps OP.

With the position occupying blockers and him being a part of a healthy rotation I'd avoid him in any fantasy football format. His 7.5 sacks last year might be sorta a 'career high' type number and his tackle number will always be sorta low. I'm not saying he can't get more, but rather his role and the rotation won't give him the opportunities. 

I'm guessing it depends on the down and distance as well as how each player developed in the offseason. Ioan and Payne are probably the ones that would be subbed between each other the most. For obvious passing downs I'd have Allen and Ioan at 2i/3 tech RDT and LDT respectively with Kerrigan and Sweat at 5/7 tech LDE and RDE respectively. At the moment (or at least as of the end of last season) IMO Allen is our best interior pass rusher, Ioan is a pretty close second, and Payne (while good) is at the bottom of the pack in the regard. However, Payne showed some pass rushing promise last season and was a rookie so who knows...he could have improved a bunch and move up the chain. 

On a 4 man front in a shorter distance situation I'd definitely have Payne out there but between Allen vs Ioan it would be pretty difficult; both are very good against the run with Allen probably getting the edge due to his superior agility, diagnosis/recognition, and technique...Ioan is a bit more of a brute force dude. 

Either way, this is a really good problem to have. We have 3 young interior DL with pro bowl potential who all have the ability to be difference makers vs the run and the pass. At the very least we can make sure to keep them relatively fresh by subbing in strategically without losing much in the way of production.

On 7/14/2019 at 2:07 AM, mistertim said:

Either way, this is a really good problem to have. We have 3 young interior DL with pro bowl potential who all have the ability to be difference makers vs the run and the pass. At the very least we can make sure to keep them relatively fresh by subbing in strategically without losing much in the way of production.

I think Tim Settle will surprise us this season.  

It seems rotational DL is all the rage. Yet many defenses.... suuuuuuck.

Why is it that the OL need continuity and never get subbed out, but the DL play multiple positions with multiple different guys lined up next to them, and the best DL get taken off the field?

Sure defense is easy, but at some point I want to see guys with high skill and high motor, rise to the top and not leave the field.  Now that we finally have advanced stats in football, I am curious of the collective league wide success rate of going to the backup DL.   We know having fresh guys is important to DCs, so do the stats show that fresh players are dominating, no matter if they are starters or subs?

I am not convinced a fresh backup is better than our biggest stud. Do the stats show that Allen or Ion's production drops off a cliff after x number of snaps.

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Our backup may very well turn out himself, to be a stud starter though.

True that... at least lets hope so.

It would be great to have 6 stud DL and be interchangeable parts.  But my point still stands unSettled, is an Allen best when rested every other series?  I think we can all recall seeing a backup getting a sack. But as there is a benefit from a fresh DL and his new moves, a DL may also say he hates to sit, as he was going through setting up an OL to burn him.

I hope Jay directs Manusky to unleash the D this year. I feel like we played way too Ron Lynn bend don't breakish last season... bring the heat and try and dictate games more often. Get a helmet on the QBs chin

11 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I think Tim Settle will surprise us this season.  

Thats who Id like to see rotated in from time to time for Payne and Allen.  I like Settles size.  And then bring in Brantley also, who’s a good run stuffer,  for Payne and Matt on obvious rushing downs.   I want Allen and Sweat on the field the most.  You should really check out Brantley’s highlights of stopping the run.  He has excellent potential.  And Settle, who was a fan favorite in preseason last year, has great mobility for a player of his size.  He’s younger than all of our lineman at 22 years old, and he’s very coachable.

All these guys are good and in their early to mid twenties.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Why would you want him on your fantasy football team?

9 hours ago, Unbias said:

Even if that's the case there would be better options. Rotational DTs just won't generate the stats to be fantasy relevant. 

It really depends on the depth of a league, the positional requirements and the scoring system. I wouldn't roster Ioannidis in most leagues, but our league is very deep (16-team). Starting lineup requires 5 DL and scoring is sack premium.

Again, I appreciate all the good points raised. The more I've watched in the last week the more I have liked. Purely from a statistical point of view, his pass rush efficiency is much higher than expected. I underrated him. Your feedback and what I've seen when researching each play has led me to start writing an article on him

His pass rush efficiency did seem good to the naked eye, and its good to hear the "advanced" stats back that up. I think he had a few nagging injuries in the past year or 2 that even may have held him back some.

He seems like a great off the radar pick, on what has to be THE cheap.

My only concern is play calling.... I really think Jay had Manusky dial back the aggressiveness last year, to better support our undynamic non explosive offense. And, until I see otherwise, expect to see the same this year (Case Keenum ~ Alex Smith). That could keep our overall sack totals down a bit. Run between the tackles on first to get the clock rolling, run again, and then short pass (no WR1) - milk the clock, and on defense, make teams go 99 yards in 20 plays, to score. I predict we'll call a lot of rush 4; being aggressive will be bringing 5 BFD.  All to keep possessions down, so the score is always within reach.

Also consider Montez Sweat @JustAGuyMatt

On 7/12/2019 at 1:11 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Why would you want him on your fantasy football team?

IDP.

I used to be in a league were you'd have a few DL and you want the guy that was a mix of a ton of tackles with a handful of sacks. Not the other way around based on scoring. Same with DBs. You want that safety who comes up to the box and makes the tackles because they add up to more points total than the CB who gets a handful of INTs. 

• 1 month later...

Archived