Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"When They See Us" Miniseries on Netflix about Central Park 5

Bozo the kKklown

Great series by Ava Duvernay on the terrible injustice of the 1989 Central Park jogger rape and subsequent investigation in which they randomly targeted children. This is something everyone should see because it shows how unfair the justice system can be and how it can destroy many innocent lives. Jharrel Jerome, the actor who plays Korey Wise, puts in an amazing performance in the last episode. They were all lower class kids.

Also Orange Clown makes an appearance.

somebody needs to go through every case Linda Fairstein ever touched. I highly doubt the central park 5 is the only case she has severely botched. that type of cruelty is practiced and honed. Like they said in series, the police/prosecution did not want justice, they wanted revenge, facts be damned.

and Jharrel Jerome is a star and should be in everything moving forward. To be able to play Kory Wise as a kid and adult and still hit the range of emotions for both is amazing

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I've heard a lot about the series.  I feel like its something I should watch for educational benefit but know it will make me feel like **** when done.  Like watching Schindler's list. 

between When They See Us & Cherynobyl, i've reached my limit for recreational sadness for a while

necessary viewing, but it damn sure ain't easy

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've yet t watch either for the same reason. Ever since I watched movies like Amistad and Rosewood, it has not been easy at all. Also watched a WWII concentration camp doc and it nearly tore me to pieces.

I'll watch sometime this month

Same here. Dreading loading this up.

I am still not convinced that the five of them are totally innocent. There was a lot of other **** going down in Central Park that night and some of their testimony, including people who weren’t coerced suggested that they had a role. I could be wrong but I came away with the impression that they were at a minimum, involved in the looting and mugging that was taking place, and may have injured the jogger prior to her being raped by Rivera. The police and prosecutors being overzealous in getting a conviction about the rape charges certainly casts a lot of doubt though. 

But I also think that Michael Bloomberg was right in directing the city to take on their legal challenges after release and de Blasio caved by settling. If the city had contested in court, we would have heard the arguments for and against. 

I will get around to watching this eventually but it isn’t exactly from an unbiased source. There is enough gray in this case from what I’ve read that I’m reluctant to crown them as victims of severe injustice. 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

I will get around to watching this eventually but it isn’t exactly from an unbiased source. There is enough gray in this case from what I’ve read that I’m reluctant to crown them as victims of severe injustice. 

I think you should just watch the show, man.  

5 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've yet t watch either for the same reason. Ever since I watched movies like Amistad and Rosewood, it has not been easy at all. Also watched a WWII concentration camp doc and it nearly tore me to pieces.

I'll watch sometime this month

It's on my list too, but same deal.

On the concentration camp theme - My Grandad spent 2 years incarcerated as a political prisoner in Mauthausen (nicknamed "The bone mill" by the Nazis and reputedly worse than Auschwitz). There's a film on Netflix called "The photographer of Mauthausen". I'm gearing up to watch it, because I know I'll be in absolute pieces. The focus of the film is one of the prisoners who was forced to be the camp clerk and do the admin - the guy risked his life to somehow steal negatives of photos of the atrocities and the camp guard records. He handed them over to the American troops when they liberated the camp and is a huge reason that some level of justice was done for what happened in there. One of my absolute heroes. https://elpais.com/elpais/2015/05/11/inenglish/1431348909_486618.html 

(Apologies for the tangent)

I finished it up yesterday.  Very powerful and sad, I found myself just shaking my head a gazillion times watching those kids rights being violated.  And then what they went through in the real world once they got out, before the real rapist confessed to doing it, just horrible.   

10 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I finished it up yesterday.  Very powerful and sad, I found myself just shaking my head a gazillion times watching those kids rights being violated.  And then what they went through in the real world once they got out, before the real rapist confessed to doing it, just horrible.   

Ava said they only depicted about 70% of what Korey actually went through in prison,

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

Ava said they only depicted about 70% of what Korey actually went through in prison,

Raymond Santana was interviewed by Combat Jack (RIP) a few years ago. Was a great interview and he talked about how Korey Wise was really messed up after his ordeal.

5 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I am still not convinced that the five of them are totally innocent. There was a lot of other **** going down in Central Park that night and some of their testimony, including people who weren’t coerced suggested that they had a role

What a load of crap.

The cops failed those victims by not investigating those crimes. But it’s irrelevant to those boys losing their lives over a false rape accusation which was coerced by the NYC criminal justice division. That is the point. You bringing up the “wilding” and saying “they aren’t totally innocent” is the same crap people do to make people not feel bad at atrocities.

Did Donald Trump ever apologize or release a statement when the four teenage boys he said deserved the death penalty were fully exonerated after a serial rapist and murderer confessed to the crime and DNA testing confirmed?

24 minutes ago, Chew said:

Did Donald Trump ever apologize or release a statement when the four teenage boys he said deserved the death penalty were fully exonerated after a serial rapist and murderer confessed to the crime and DNA testing confirmed?

he hasn't apologized for a damn thing in his life, he ain't gonna start there

1 hour ago, Chew said:

Of course not, but he is lower on the list of people who need to apologize but haven’t. 

14 hours ago, Chew said:

No, of course not. He doubled down on it. From https://time.com/5597843/central-park-five-trump-history/:

Since then, he has repeatedly reiterated the guilty verdict of the men, even though their convictions were vacated. “They admitted they were guilty,” the then-candidate said in a CNN interview the month before the 2016 election. “The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same.”

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

2 to 5 percent of people in prisons are innocent.

This series seems to be race baiting “when they see us”...

I wouldn’t want to be in the 5 percent.

the series is not race baiting, its more of a race hammer which is the whole damn point. in the not so distant past, those 5 kids had their rights pissed on every step of the way because of preconceived notions

Archived