Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Eagles Sign Wentz to $128 Million Extension

SkinsGuy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26915206/eagles-sign-wentz-128m-extension%3fplatform=amp

The Philadelphia Eagles have signed franchise quarterback Carson Wentz to a four-year extension through the 2024 season, the team announced Thursday.

The extension is for $128 million and includes $107.9 million guaranteed, including $66 million due at signing, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. The extension can escalate to a max of $144 million. Wentz's total deal is now six years for $154 million and can grow to a max of $170 million.

Click link for the rest of the article.

Curious to think what folks think of this move. Especially some of our visiting Eagle fans.

Are you happy with this move? Unhappy? Worried? Confident?

The going rate for QBs is killing the NFL, Eagles has no choice but to give him that contract despite him never staying healthy.  I hope they put injury clauses or something, don't get in the same boat as us with Alex, why repeat history?

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I hope they put injury clauses or something, don't get in the same boat as us with Alex, why repeat history?

I see you're saying "us" about the Redskins, but you're encouraging our enemies to use good tactics.... What gives?

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I see you're saying "us" about the Redskins, but you're encouraging our enemies to use good tactics.... What gives?

Two things, Redskins fan who has respect for the Eagles, but more concerned with how these QB contracts effect the league as a whole.  Think if the Wentz contract blows up in there face, its "good" for us in the short term but bad for the league in the long term.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:04 PM, Califan007 said:

"Wentz's total deal is now six years for $154 million"

That's less than what Kurk got...

KC can't get a team to a big game but is steady and healthy all season

Wentz can get a team to the big game but needs a good backup to play in the big game.

Eagle fans should be happy with the contract but always be certain to have a good backup.

There was word from their locker room that some players did not care for Wentz and really liked Foles. Be interesting to see how that works out this season. I would love to hear of residual turmoil, I just don't see it with their current backups. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:56 PM, Renegade7 said:

Two things, Redskins fan who has respect for the Eagles, but more concerned with how these QB contracts effect the league as a whole.  Think if the Wentz contract blows up in there face, its "good" for us in the short term but bad for the league in the long term.

How will it be bad for the league? I see it the opposite, especially in case of injury. At the very least if he gets injured and is unavailable, they may get something in the CBA to protect teams against an Alex situation. It's really makes no sense that guys legitimately on IR count against your CAP. I know the reason they do it is to keep people from hiding CAP on IR. But they could put fail safes in place - like an dependent medical staff has to approve all IR designations. Or, they could say only the top 2 contracts on IR are exempt. That is probably the easiest. Keeps people from hiding a bunch or players but gives teams like us some relief. Anyway, clearly the details would have to be worked out but i think it would be good overall.  

If it blows up because he is just not that good, it should create a bit of a market correction. The QB contract market is due for a correction. These contracts are getting out of hand. 

We will see. But I will take the short term positive for us in that I do not think Wentz is really that good. He got lucky quite a bit in 2017. He had a 60% completion rate and had actually 12 less completions in 13 games as he did in 11 gms for 2018 where had a 68% comp% but was 5-6. He also has a fumbling issue - he has 34 fumbles in 40 starts. Last yr he had 9 in 11 gms and lost 6. He is just on OK QB that is now locked in for several yrs. 

Dak is next!!  That will leave the other NFC East teams with Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, and Daniel Jones as the opponents QBs, Although in fairness we really do not know about Jones. But all indications are he is not an elite NFL QB in the making. But until he plays we can't count on that. Not exactly a murderers row though. And all but Jones will be locked in! 

4 hours ago, DWinzit said:

KC can't get a team to a big game but is steady and healthy all season

Wentz can get a team to the big game but needs a good backup to play in the big game.

Eagle fans should be happy with the contract but always be certain to have a good backup.

There was word from their locker room that some players did not care for Wentz and really liked Foles. Be interesting to see how that works out this season. I would love to hear of residual turmoil, I just don't see it with their current backups. 

Wentz hasn't gotten anyone anywhere close to the big game. He's yet to throw a pass in even a wildcard game.

19 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Wentz hasn't gotten anyone anywhere close to the big game. He's yet to throw a pass in even a wildcard game.

I was referring to 2017 when he got them to 11-2 prior to the injury. If they stopped playing then the Eagles would have already won the NFCE by 2 games and Wentz would have been handed league MVP.

Eagles fans will need to hope they jump out of the gate running because Wentz has not shown an ability to be available in December. 

8 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I was referring to 2017 when he got them to 11-2 prior to the injury. If they stopped playing then the Eagles would have already won the NFCE by 2 games and Wentz would have been handed league MVP.

Eagles fans will need to hope they jump out of the gate running because Wentz has not shown an ability to be available in December. 

Winning the division doesn't show that "Wentz can get a team to the big game"...if that's the case Cousins can also get a team to the big game.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, goskins10 said:

If it blows up because he is just not that good, it should create a bit of a market correction. The QB contract market is due for a correction. These contracts are getting out of hand. 

I didnt correct after Stafford or Brock got their contracts.  It didnt correct after Kirk, Foles still got paid ungodly money for being a solid backup QB.  And it seems Eagles learned nothing from their own backyard in us having to deal with Alex.  It's not going to self correct, the demand is too high and QBs know it.  Wait until players like Watson and Mahomes want new contracts, one will set the record for highest paid then the other one will break it, that's the trend, ask Russell Wilson.

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I didnt correct after Stafford or Brock got their contracts.  It didnt correct after Kirk, Foles still got paid ungodly money for being a solid backup QB.  And it seems Eagles learned nothing from their own backyard in us having to deal with Alex.  It's not going to self correct, the demand is too high and QBs know it.  Wait until players like Watson and Mahomes want new contracts, one will set the record for highest paid then the other one will break it, that's the trend, ask Russell Wilson.

Just because something has not happened before does not mean it will not happen. At some point salaries will get too high.  When will it happen? Who knows. But each bad contract should get teams closer. Maybe not. But if they don't the quality of the game will suffer and than so will viewership and revenues.

How much will it correct? Maybe not much. Maybe a lot. But eventually there will be a tipping point We just have not reached it yet.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Just because something has not happened before does not mean it will not happen. At some point salaries will get too high.  When will it happen? Who knows. But each bad contract should get teams closer. Maybe not. But if they don't the quality of the game will suffer and than so will viewership and revenues.

How much will it correct? Maybe not much. Maybe a lot. But eventually there will be a tipping point We just have not reached it yet.

I guess the closest comparison you can make is the outrageous contracts first round rookies were getting that ultimately lead to the rookie pay scale.

I believe it was Sam Bradford's huge contract that was the tipping point there. Even veteran players were wondering why these rookies were getting so much when they hadn't played a down in the NFL. Hadn't even set foot on a practice field.

I can see a correction coming, but I don't know how they can correct it.

The veteran players and the players union are definitely not going to agree to a pay scale. :)

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Right, do let's jus watch and see what happens?  I thought I was the optimist : )

Philly has really made a huge commitment to Wentz, really huge.  First, they pick him the guy that has gotten himself injured two years in a row over a Super Bowl championship QB.  Foles didn't just game manage his way through the playoffs he led the Eagles to a championship and nearly did it again.  I think I would have traded Wentz and gone with Foles.  As for the contract, that is what starters get paid these days whether they can stay healthy or not.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@goskins10 hoping Dak wanting $40 million a year is the tipping point, chances are Mahomes will then want more since that number was supposed to be reserved for him. 

the rhetoric out of Dallas is that they will not set the market on salaries.  They have 3 major contracts to get done. Will be difficult to get them all. Then they gave to pay others.

Will be be interesting to see how it plays out.  

There is also the looming CBA. Can the players fair better?  They got destroyed in the last one.  

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

the rhetoric out of Dallas is that they will not set the market on salaries.  They have 3 major contracts to get done. Will be difficult to get them all. Then they gave to pay others.

Will be be interesting to see how it plays out.  

There is also the looming CBA. Can the players fair better?  They got destroyed in the last one.  

Jerry talks out one side his mouth talking about how it will be too good for the players not to get a deal done.  There's no way they give all three of them what they want and keep that team together in the long run, that's why Zeke is holding out to make sure he isn't left out back.

Archived