Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

😂

I think a 2nd is fair value for both sides and personally that's what I think he's worth as well. He's not worth a 1st anymore due to age and durability. I'm saying a 4th because we have zero leverage, Trent has upset King Bruce and he's likely going to get traded no matter what because of it. They cut DJ Swearinger last year after a great season, he was playing like a top safety and we just released him with no compensation. What makes you think they'll be able to snag a good trade for Trent? 

I disagree only with the leverage issue. Every day that passes and TW is either not in camp or on a roster, he'll lose both money (varies once the season starts) and playing time. The 'Skins don't absolutely need to do anything and his replacement is likely already on the roster. Swearinger was tailing off as the season went on and the public outbursts were the icing on the urinal cake. That's why I'm surprised Foster made it as long as he did.

Whilst it seems a stretch to bag a first rounder for Trent, I reckons he's going to have a strong market. If three or four teams come calling we could do better than many think. 

Just watched both the Gruden and Penn interviews from earlier and everyone seems fairly chilled about life. Penn backtracked somewhat saying he's doing extra reps at RT, but it's appears obvious to me he hates playing RT and that he is here to start at LT in 2019. 

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

My thoughts:

-Trent Williams has been the best player on this team since the day he was drafted.

-Trent Williams has put the team first in almost every situation.

-Trent Williams is a top 3 Redskins LT of all time.

-Trent Williams is getting older.

-Trent Williams isn't happy.

-Trent Williams played through many injuries as often as he could, sacrificing his body for his team.

-Trent Williams is getting injured much more often.

-Trent Williams is unhappy and doesn't like Bruce Allen.

-Bruce Allen is staying here because God finds this cruelty to be hilarious.

-Trent Williams being unhappy is a giant distraction to a team that needs to do what it can to replace him.

-It's time for Trent Williams to go.

-I will always cheer and appreciate Trent Williams.

-Thank you #71.

I can get all the way through God LOL@Redskins fans, but I just can't get to the part about him needing to be replaced.  It's likely 90% player loyalty, but Williams was drafted about 30 seconds after Samuels found out about the spinal stenosis and that he'd have to stop playing.  There was time to prepare, and we hit the LoTtery again.  I just don't see how, at this point, we can be decently prepared moving forward at the position.  I also don't follow college football because I don't want to get attached to a future Cowboy, so I don't know what the draft class looks like.   Even so, from what I remember, Okung was the top choice over Williams, but I'm glad we took the gamble on the raw talent.

The impact this departure would have on the locker room I feel would be more significant than any other player departing given his tenure, his sacrifice, his performance, his reputation, and his weed hook-up (I kid, I kid).  Allen (the good one, not Bruce) seems to be stepping into a leader role, but, I don't know.  I don't even know what I'm trying to say here.

I guess we've been spoiled for literally the last 20 years (that's so weird to write) when it comes to left tackle, I just don't see how we get a viable plan moving forward.  I also don't see how Snyder isn't more attached to this team than he is some idiot who's done squat in ten years, he's not just some kid anymore.  He bought the team young, but he'll be 55 in November.  How has he Mork from Ork'd it and gotten to be less of a man in that time and more beholden to a guy with a legendary last name?

Blah.  This offseason seemed great for a hot minute and then turned to hot garbage with crap like this.   You think after 35 years I'd learn by now.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if he really is being shopped and the Pats really are interested, I'd go straight up for this stud, receiver.  I kid 😀

Stud receiver....now I've been saying for months that Diggs is on his way from the Vikes. Now is that chance....😀

14 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

If he does go to the Patriots, when has Bellichick ever been in the habit of advocating paying big dollars and extensions to breaking-down guys over 30? SB? Possibly, but not a big payday.

He might be able to strong arm Trent into a discount.  If the issue really is the medical staff, and Trent can work with whatever doctor is keeping Kraft alive and syphilis free, that may be very appealing to him.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

As time goes by and the inevitable camp/preseason injuries begin to roll in, it’s pretty easy to envision a scenario where Trent is worth a 1st rounder to at least 1 or 2 teams.

For this and other reasons, we need to wait as long as possible and wait out all offers before trading Trent and taking less than he's worth.

If we're gonna trade for a pick rather than a player, there is no rush. The draft isn't until next year.

Just now, hatchetwound said:

He might be able to strong arm Trent into a discount.  If the issue really is the medical staff, and Trent can work with whatever doctor is keeping Kraft alive and syphilis free, that may be very appealing to him.

My point is they don't get in the habit of even humoring keeping guys around that age, unless you're Tom Brady.

Trent has been more than free to go to any Doctor he wants. I don't mean to downplay the issue, but the drama has to be dialed back a hair: "precancerous cells" isn't even remotely as scary as it sounds written down, spoken or whatever else and I don't think the team exactly has an Oncologist on-staff.

My mother passed at 36 from metastatic breast cancer. My sister had a radical mastectomy at 34, has fluid on her brain and stage 1 bladder cancer at 43. They'd laugh at a multi-millionaire having a conniption over "precancerous cells."

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

For this and other reasons, we need to wait as long as possible and wait out all offers before trading Trent and taking less than he's worth.

If we're gonna trade for a pick rather than a player, there is no rush. The draft isn't until next year.

Desperation is always a possibility, but generally as the games of team control go down so does the value. 

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't want to trade him, but if we had to, then I'm 100% for this.

Could you imagine if we did something like send a second rounder for an aging DE just because we lost a defensive lineman and it didn't work out and we lost a second-rounder?  We'd be pissed.

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Why? If teams feel they need a tackle today they will look at Trent as a solution. If we wait until the draft or free agency next year Trent will be older and have taken a full year away from football. Teams will have less confidence in what they are getting in return. 

Look at the Sam Bradford trade. They overpaid, but that's because they had a glaring hole (created by the Bridgewater injury). There are teams right now that are looking at their LT spot and thinking it will sink them. Add in that there are some coaches and GMs that are on the hot seat and they would be more incline to have Trent for 2019 rather than wait for next year. 

Just for reference Pats are expected to have 14 picks next year....They can afford to part with a couple.

First round
Second round
Third round
Third round (projected compensatory)
Fourth round
Fourth round pick (via Chicago Bears)
Sixth round
Sixth round (projected compensatory)
Seventh round
Seventh round (via Philadelphia Eagles)
Seventh round (via Atlanta Falcons)
Seventh round (via Seattle Seahawks)

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Desperation is always a possibility, but generally as the games of team control go down so does the value. 

That's the unfortunate thing (for trade value), especially as teams get out of camp and have their rosters set. Even an in-season injury really doesn't make teams super stupidly desperate.

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I wouldn't wait all the way until the trade deadline, as that's risky, but I can see waiting until the end of preseason before making a deal.

Instead of us being the desperate one, maybe by that time, another team is desperate, because their season is about to start, and their Tackle situation has gotten worse.

Just now, NewCliche21 said:

I don't want to trade him, but if we had to, then I'm 100% for this.

Could you imagine if we did something like send a second rounder for an aging DE just because we lost a defensive lineman and it didn't work out and we lost a second-rounder?  We'd be pissed.

Okay, but you have the luxury of being a fan and taking a long term perspective. Right now Jay Gruden is on the last year of his contract. If we had a significant injury it could materially impact if he's back or what his next coaching opportunity looks like. Do you think he'd be willing to sacrifice a future pick for a more talented team this season? I'm 99.9% confident that he would. 

There are a bunch of GMs and HCs in that exact same position. 

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Stud receiver....now I've been saying for months that Diggs is on his way from the Vikes. Now is that chance....😀

It's amazing how many shots they've taken at receiver heck going back even before Dan and failing to find a #1 receiver in the draft.  I recall Gibbs saying after they took Desmond Howard "he's can't miss".    Diggs is a true #1 type.  But Diggs was never on the trading block (the idea that he could be traded was just a twitter rumor that just went wild) so doubting they'd trade him.  But I'd trade Trent straight up for Diggs.  Doubt they would -- just because of Diggs age versus Trent's age.  If they both were the same age then I wouldn't trade Trent for him. 

Just now, hatchetwound said:

yikes.  I'm sorry to hear that  :(

It's ok. I didn't mean it in the context of sympathy, only that there is a MULTIVERSE of difference between "precancerous cells" and "cancer."

Like really not even the same thing. Calling it a death scare is like bragging about your Italian sports car when you have a Pontiac Fiero.

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Just for reference Pats are expected to have 14 picks next year....They can afford to part with a couple.

First round
Second round
Third round
Fourth round
Fourth round pick (via Chicago Bears)
Sixth round
Seventh round
Seventh round (via Philadelphia Eagles)
Seventh round (via Atlanta Falcons)
Seventh round (via Seattle Seahawks)

My god, how is that possible.  And they selected 10 players this year!!!!

Just now, ntotoro said:

It's ok. I didn't mean it in the context of sympathy, only that there is a MULTIVERSE of difference between "precancerous cells" and "cancer."

Like really not even the same thing. Calling it a death scare is like bragging about your Italian sports car when you have a Pontiac Fiero.

Thanks for the insight on that. Doesn’t bode well for the few that will do anything to tear down the team in a situation such as this. 

21 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

We are a LOT deeper than we were last year.

2019: Keenum\Haskins\McCoy

2018: Smith\McCoy\and then signing Sanchez and Jonson off the street

2019 we have a good starter, a rookie with HUGE upside and a capable backup

2018 we had a capable starter and a capable backup and nothing else

I'll take 2019 every day

21 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

You bring up legit teams vs non legit teams last year... I really think the schedule lines up nicely for us this year.

Division Games:
Cowboys - We always play them tough. Always.   I say we split
Giants- ...are a mess.  We sweep
Philly - I say we drop the opener in their stadium but when they come to town week 15 we beat them.  why?  Cuz their QB is Peanut Butter.  Brittle.  We can beat traitor Nate.

Thats 4-2 in the division

NFC Conference games:
Chicago Bears - While I think we can compete, I'll give them the edge.  Loss
San Francisco 49ers - Who do they have again?  Win
at Minnesota Vikings - If this was home, I'd say win.  But since we are there, I'll give it to them.  But then again, Cousins does choke in big games.  I'll be conservative and say lose.
Detroit Lions - Nothing about them scares me.  Win
at Carolina Panthers -  We beat them last year, no reason to think we cant do it again.  Win
at Green Bay Packers - "Green Bay in December?  Yeah right!" you say.  "Rodgers has missed like 40 games in the past 3 seasons" I say.  (ok, it was like, 9 games).  Honestly we have a shot.  They have no defense, there running game doesnt scare me and they have nobody outside of Adams to catch the ball.  And if Rodgers doesnt play...   But I'll be conservative again and say lose.

That's 3-3 vs the rest of the NFC

AFC Conferene games:
New England Patriots - Revenge game for Trent.  Lose
at Miami Dolphins - Ryan Fitzpatrick is currently the favorite to win the Job.  Ryan. Fitzpatrick.  They just had their assistant head coach pack it in for the year.  They are by far the worst team in the league and may not win a game.
at Buffalo Bills - Maybe a 5 win team.  We got this
New York Jets - Another crap team for the Pats to feast on.  Win

That is 3-1 vs the AFC

Add it up and thats a 10 win season right there.    And there are 2 or 3 toss up games that I have as lose to balance out the upsets that may occur in the games marked as a win.

While 2019 and beyond has the potential to be great 2018 with Alex was a much better QB Corp in terms of winning today. And this is coming from an Alex hater. Haskins may prove to be a stud but we won’t know until next year at the earliest.

in terms of your team predictions, you’re entitled to your opinion but I see it differently.

Bills were a wild card team two years ago and last year took a step back. With the further development of Allen along with the additions of guys like Cole Beasley, John Brown and Cody Ford, the offense is gonna be a lot more competent to go with their solid defense (which got even better with the addition of Ed Oliver).

Jets got SIGNIfICaNTLY better over the offseason starting with Adam Gase to CJ Mosley, Crowder and Quinnen Williams. I expect them to be a 9-7 team depending on if Darnold takes the next step. It doesn’t hurt when you have Leveon Bell now taking handoffs.

Niners were expected to compete heavily when Jimmy G went down. He looks healthy. Him and Bosa make this a sleeper team.

Panthers can go either way and it’s obviously dependent on Cam. Christian Mccaffrey, Curtis Samuel and Olsen still scare me. Could go either way.

expecting to go 4-2 in the division when we’ve won a combined 6 games against them the last 3 years is unrealistic. You say the Giants are a mess but how exactly are we any different? Rookie QB, young RB, lack of WR depth, good TE, potent DL, young talented secondary and shoddy LBs. we’re basically the same team.

just my two cents

11 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

That's the unfortunate thing (for trade value), especially as teams get out of camp and have their rosters set. Even an in-season injury really doesn't make teams super stupidly desperate.

Exactly...there are currently 31 trade partners because in the NFL every team has hope in August. If you get into the regular season, only teams in the hunt who sustain an injury would be kicking the tires. 

• Donald Penn's debut at practice occured Wednesday, and for a guy who was just signed, he saw a healthy amount of action including some first-team snaps in 11-on-11s. Hugh Thornton, a veteran guard and former third-rounder, was also on the field and active along the line. Morgan Moses, who's taken on quite a leadership role along the O-line with Williams gone, was seen talking to Penn right after the 36-year-old strolled onto the field. Dwayne Haskins, meanwhile, who worked out this summer and ran into Penn during those workouts, welcomed him with a hug. He's obviously no Williams, but he's a more legit option and one the offense could feel better about come Week 1 if need be. 
  • https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/training-camp-notes-josh-doctson-has-his-most-impactful-day-and-another-brawl-happens

Archived