Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

11 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Okay, but you have the luxury of being a fan and taking a long term perspective. Right now Jay Gruden is on the last year of his contract. If we had a significant injury it could materially impact if he's back or what his next coaching opportunity looks like. Do you think he'd be willing to sacrifice a future pick for a more talented team this season? I'm 99.9% confident that he would. 

There are a bunch of GMs and HCs in that exact same position. 

I think at the end of the day Gruden's input is limited when it comes to acquiring players, picks, etc. Haven't we had multiple trades where it was reported that Gruden didn't know about it at all until after it was done?

The only thing that really matters is if Bruce/Snyder want it. 

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Pats also seem a little thin at WR.

Wonder if we could package TW and Doctson for a couple picks.

If Harris is the toast of their camp, imagine Doctson? 😀

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/training-camp-notes-josh-doctson-has-his-most-impactful-day-and-another-brawl-happens

• Josh Doctson had himself a day here. Yes, if you want, you can call him Terrelle Pryor, or you can tweet about how you want to see it in September, and that's OK. He hasn't been productive enough in Washington. But the fact of the matter is he made two A-plus catches in 1-on-1s for touchdowns: A lefty, one-hander on a go-route with Jimmy Moreland totally holding him and the second on a fade where he plucked the ball right off of Quinton Dunbar's shoulder pad. He also made a couple of intermediate catches in team drills. He's had a fine camp up until this point after dropping a handful of balls earlier in the offseason, but on Wednesday, he was really effective.

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Pats also seem a little thin at WR.

Wonder if we could package TW and Doctson for a couple picks.

I normally don't get giddy, but really wish I could like that more than once.

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think at the end of the day Gruden's input is limited when it comes to acquiring players, picks, etc. Haven't we had multiple trades where it was reported that Gruden didn't know about it at all until after it was done?

The only thing that really matters is if Bruce/Snyder want it. 

That's correct for the Redskins, but there are GM/HC combos on other teams that do have that decision making authority. If one or both of those feel that their job is on the line they are directly motivated to have the most talent on the field for the 2019 season. In short, they will trade future assets to ensure they have a job the next season!

It's important to remember that all coached and GMs know they will be eventually fired. If they are just thinking of themselves they know it's one year at a time. 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

As time goes by and the inevitable camp/preseason injuries begin to roll in, it’s pretty easy to envision a scenario where Trent is worth a 1st rounder to at least 1 or 2 teams.

New England has a young left tackle, 2018 1st round pick Isaiah Wynn, who's coming back from an injury and may not be ready to start. How bout Wynn and a 2nd rounder for Trent? Or, we may have to take one of their vets in a salary dump because they're up against the cap and seemingly would have to cut someone to take on Trent's contract. No way we should deal Trent without getting Wynn back....and a pick or player who can help us in the near future.

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Here’s an idea. TW and Doctson for N’keal

If we trade for a WR, I definitely would want him to be a proven and established veteran.

I think we have plenty of rookie and young receivers that we "hope" will develop.

We desperately need something immediately dependable at that position.

I know he was a 1st round pick, but so was Doctson. I'm kinda over with the hoping and waiting for potential to pan out.

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And which high pick?

On our side? Because despite being unproven Harry is a fresh 1st round pick on a cost controlled deal. If a team isn't trading a 1st for Trent, they certainly aren't trading the guy they just took with a 1st and another high pick. Come on. 

Now, of course players like this don't get traded, so this discussion is useless. 

If we don't land a 1st round pick pick for Trent we will receive multiple picks.I feel to start a conversations it begins with 1st or a 2nd and 3rd.When you draft a guy in the 1st you hope he becomes a starter if you trade for Trent you know your getting an probowler for at least 3 to 5 years if you extend him.The hit rate on probowl talent is really low in the first round.Trent has alot more value than most believe.

23 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

If we don't land a 1st round pick pick for Trent we will receive multiple picks.I feel to start a conversations it begins with 1st or a 2nd and 3rd.When you draft a guy in the 1st you hope he becomes a starter if you trade for Trent you know your getting an probowler for at least 3 to 5 years if you extend him.The hit rate on probowl talent is really low in the first round.Trent has alot more value than most believe.

Problem is, with Trent's injury history you know that you're likely only getting between 10 and 14 games worth of that pro bowl talent. Is that still worth a 1st when you throw in being 31 as well? What good is the pro bowl talent if he won't be there for your playoff run?I don't know...it might still be worth a 1st, but it probably depends on how many teams are bidding. 

Not sure what trade value is for Trent. Situations like this are fairly rare in the NFL.  (familiar story with the Redskins)

Bengals traded for Cordy Glenn last season; swapped the 21st pick for the 12th, and swapped a 5th for a 6th. 

That's a value of about a middle 2nd round pick. 

Glenn was also coming off a significant injury. 

3 hours ago, Unbias said:

Okay, but you have the luxury of being a fan and taking a long term perspective. Right now Jay Gruden is on the last year of his contract. If we had a significant injury it could materially impact if he's back or what his next coaching opportunity looks like. Do you think he'd be willing to sacrifice a future pick for a more talented team this season? I'm 99.9% confident that he would. 

There are a bunch of GMs and HCs in that exact same position. 

Well, yeah, I'm a fan so that's the perspective I'm coming from.  You're totally right about it from Gruden's perspective, but it's Allen who makes all the calls.  Remember, Jay found out about us being interested in Alex Smith when he was told by Allen that they were working out a deal for him.  It wasn't permission, it was notification.  I hope Gruden stays, but even if he's fired, I don't think his record will speak for itself from any GM's position.

Archived